Start by marking “A Lady Pays Her Penalties” as Want to Read:
A Lady Pays Her Penalties

A Lady Pays Her Penalties (Cruel Games #1)

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Four stories about a woman who likes to spice up the games she plays by giving herself painful and humiliating penalties if she loses. In the first three stories, she plays backgammon on the Internet. In the fourth story, she plays an erotic game of her own invention with her new husband. All stories feature consensual bondage and masochistic activities.
Nook, 212 pages
Published May 31st 2010 by Smashwords, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about A Lady Pays Her Penalties, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Lady Pays Her Penalties

Steelwhisper
Oct 11, 2014 Steelwhisper rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone into real kink
Ten stars.

Ashley Zacharias' sado-masochistic character studies are an absolute pleasure to read. They are witness of a truly kinky mindset, of someone who has indepth knowledge of the human mind and condition, and who very obviously has been entertaining a vast tapestry of fantasies to take care of her own kinky demands.

This is dark in a true sense of how the human mind can turn masochistic to a point which is hard for an outsider to understand. It is dark in with what simple and effective, and
Vivian
Aug 02, 2011 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: erotica-contemp
While the content, humiliation-heavy bdsm, is not my particular fancy, the story is an interesting series of events that tells a progressive tale and has an HEA. It involves sadomasochism, but intercourse between two committed people only.
Sin Claire
Apr 03, 2015 Sin Claire rated it it was amazing
I first encountered this book on Smashwords a couple of years ago, and wondered what kind of erotic book wore such a prosaic little cover. Something (I forget what) made me give it a try.

The realization soon hit that the prosaic world is exactly the terrain where Zacharias' power lies. Her characters are ordinary women whose masochism consumes them. They never feel any need to justify it, or make their desires PC. No billionaires, no alpha males, no yanked-up-by-the-cowboy spankings. In their co
Jonmontanavega
May 23, 2015 Jonmontanavega rated it it was amazing
Is Ashley Zacharias Pauline Réage’s Ghost?

If you haven’t read The Story of O by Pauline Réage I suggest you pack away your Dark Erotica / BDSM genre membership until you do. Assuming you’ve read it – the movie is a pale imitation – you might not know that the New York Times’ then lead literary critic called its publication in the US “a significant event.” Given the explosion of dark erotica, A Lady Pays Her Penalties by Ashley Zacharias will never have the same impact. Too bad, because Penaltie
Dee
Jul 31, 2015 Dee marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dee by: Steelwhisper
Wah, why won't this download to my Kindle. I one clicked an hour ago and still no show!
Taboo
Apr 08, 2012 Taboo rated it really liked it
Shelves: bdsm, bdsm-novels
I am feeling really sad right now that this book has come to an end, I loved reading about Leslie. I hope that Ashley is planning on writing a sequel.
Emily
Jul 08, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing
This book is a trip
Lexxi Kitty
I don’t know why I thought there were four stories in there. Completed the third and . . . wait, “The End”? But . . .. Turned page, and there’s this afterward. Hmms. No idea why I thought there were four stories in there. Oh. That’s why I thought there were four stories. From the books description.

“Four stories about a woman who likes to spice up the games she plays by giving herself painful and humiliating penalties if she loses. In the first three stories, she plays backgammon on the Internet.
Reynaldo
Feb 20, 2012 Reynaldo rated it it was ok
Note: The basis of this review is limited. Although the author has forwarded me their complete manuscript, I have refrained from further reading because the book lacks a particular element in its writing. All grades are based on honest evaluations and will be supplemented by a couple of examples to prove my point.
A Lady Pays her Penalties
By Ashley Zacharias

Cold Honest Truth:

This book is far ‘too cruel’ beyond measure.

OVERALL RATING: C

From what I understood with what the book was hinting at i.e.
Kerry
Apr 19, 2011 Kerry rated it it was ok
Shelves: bdsm, e-book-own, free
Strange. That is my one-word review of this book. I have never read a book quite like this before...and I have read a lot of kink. I like kink. And I like punishment stories, but this was something new.

In these 4 short stories, Leslie is punishing herself. Well, she is making up the punishment and then administering what she can to herself, but the rest is administered and/or overseen by her happily married friend Craig. There is nothing sexual happening between Leslie and Craig. He is not ther
Herian Villaruz
Jan 05, 2012 Herian Villaruz rated it did not like it
Shelves: ashley-zacharias
the first part can be equated to reality punishments but the other parts are far from worse
Shanon
Dec 04, 2010 Shanon rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
Free from Nook app
Heather Moss
Heather Moss marked it as to-read
carol
carol marked it as to-read
loisa
loisa added it
Rajesh
Rajesh is currently reading it
Jun 22, 2016
Amal David
Amal David marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Steve Wenn
Steve Wenn rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Robert Donnelly
Robert Donnelly rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Jo * Smut-Dickted * marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Tracy Bruno
Tracy Bruno rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Mistress Hu
Mistress Hu is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2016
Steve Vander
Steve Vander rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2015
Sunshine
Sunshine marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Pixie
Pixie marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
I am a postmodern woman who lives a vanilla life but expresses her erotic bondage fantasies by writing fiction.
I blog on: http://ashleyzacharias.wordpress.com/ and comment on my own stories on: http://ashleyzachariascommentary.word...
More about Ashley Zacharias...

Cruel Games (3 books)
  • A Lady Plays for High Stakes (Cruel Games Book 2)
  • A Lady Plays for Keeps (Cruel Games Book 3)