Start by marking “The Dove Keeper” as Want to Read:
The Dove Keeper

The Dove Keeper (The Dove Keeper #1)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  296 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Thomas is a seventeen-year-old who doesn't want to grow up and has little aspirations for anything beyond standing outside the local liquor store and getting drunk. But when he meets Bernard, the old, aging, and well known fag artist, he is offered something he cannot turn down.
ebook, 2nd edition, 626 pages
Published June 10th 2008 by Emily Edwards

To ask other readers questions about The Dove Keeper, please sign up.

Linnea Jarild larsen
I'd read it online. That's what I did.

I ordered it through lulu.com as well, only problem is that the text is in size 6 or something evil like that.…more

I'd read it online. That's what I did.

(less)

Crash Queen (Weaver of Dreams)
"He set me free."

The Dove Keeper was such a beautiful read. I read the Frank/Gerard version and it's wonderful. The concept of art and love and testing what you know was portrayed so well. Evelyn Deshane creates breathtakingly real characters that come to life on the page.
The Dove Keeper made me cry. It was a VERY long read, but instead of trudging through the book like I expected to, I eagerly read each chapter and cheered in hoped that this not-so-ordinary couple would get a chance in this
BTina
Sep 27, 2012 BTina marked it as to-read
free version with Frank & Gerard
Kaitlyn
ohmygod. This is definitely my favorite book ever.Its beautiful..Everyone should read it.And the frerard version of it was awesome too.;)
Andune
I'm still catching my breath from finishing this book: it is long, the font is tiny, the narrative can be somewhat repetitive. That said, it is one of the most beautiful, honest, genuine stories I have read in a long time. It almost seems poetic that getting through reading the book is a struggle, because that is what the story is about: the struggle to find yourself, to hold on to love and to learn to let go.

Thomas and Bernard, the main characters in this story, are so heart wrenchingly authent
Joanna
Jul 07, 2012 Joanna marked it as to-read
This was originally an intensely beautiful fanfiction. I read it first on LiveJournal and was disappointed when it was taken down. I'm shocked to see it here, under the same title and description, but with different character names. My congratulations to the author for getting it published.
Muranda
I'll admit it. I read this as Frank and Gerard before it was Thomas and Bernard. Not that it matters, the name change is a minor change. This is honestly one of the best stories I have ever read. Although I initially read it as slash fan fiction, I never considered it like that. I'm not one for sappy romance so this story was somewhat of an exception. It's heartbreaking and beautiful. It has it's cute and sappy moments and it's an all around romance, but it's definitely not a cliche. When I firs ...more
Claire Lumsden
To summarize what I'm about to say in one short sentence: This book is life-changing.
I had already read the first few chapters of this book on the internet with Gerard and Frank so I could decide whether it was going to be worth buying or not. I bought it.
The thing about this book is that a lot of people don't like the idea of it because of Thomas and Bernard's age difference. This book will change your view on that. It changes your views on a lot of things. It makes you think differently, fee
rose
I read the Frank/Gerard version and it was an amazing read. I thought this piece was perfect. This story has definitely left me in tears and inspired to me to get back into art. One of my favorites!
Liuff
Feb 18, 2013 Liuff added it
It was such a wonderful book. It made me have so many emotions all at once, but I definitely taught me life lessons
Diane
Aamna
This truly was a work of art. The writing was so mesmerizing that I could feel the emotions practically pouring out of pages. I also believe that this work needs to especially be read by people who normally don’t read about homosexuality because it captures the kind of passion that society deems unworthy of normalcy from these kinds of relationships, but more importantly it illustrates the kinds of superficial bigotry than many people still have in our society.

This was just so so beautiful, alth
Tayler Leigh
I reread this but the Frank/Gerard version and it was pretty good, it gets a bit long at parts but it was fairly good and definitely very interesting to read.
Loretta
Lovely book, great story line and so well written!!
Grace
I read it online, with Frank and Gerard as the characters instead of Thomas and Bernard. It made me cry, it is pure genius. I love the art references and the French aspects and wow its just amazing.
Krissy
So far I am really enjoying this book. A beautiful read set in a fascinating time in history. Really recommend it.

Loved this book - although never quite got to finish it as was a best seller return from the library so had to get it back before I got stung with the over due fines. Will definitely be getting it out again to finish it .
Dayle
Most definitely one of the best stories I have ever read and arguably the most inspiring. The authors analogies of art in relation to life captures feelings and thoughts I had never been able to find words to describe before. This book has blown me away. I will keep this story with me forever. To the author I say thank you a thousand times.
Rosetta
what an intense book with many twists and turns......the character's where well developed you could not help but get absorbed in there lives and time in which they lived.....I highly recommend this book!
Elizabeth
Jan 08, 2015 Elizabeth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young adults
I loved it. I'm normally not into romance novels, but the way this was written, it was more than just a romance. It raised questions I feel every young adult can connect to, with an amazing ending.
Aylin
Loved the book until the end! It could have ended more powerful than it did. But I love old/history fiction stories.
Maureen
A book about strong women in a time of unrest. Hard to imagine how difficult life was at that time.
Britty
I read the Frank & Gerard one. This book punched my heart in the face... in a good way.
Paula Bellas
I loved this book. It was rich in history, and character development.
Kathy
An amazing read. The strength of womanhood is celebrated in this novel.
Mary Ruth
Very interesting to go so far back in time. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Kathy
Really enjoyed it! Along te same vein as Red Tent
Linda
best book I have read in a long time
Roberta
wonderful read, touching
Manar
favorite book ever! <3
  • The God in Flight
  • P’tit Cadeau
  • Schadenfreude
  • Half-Life
  • Exit Strategy (Exit, #1)
  • The Substitute (Guntram de Lisle #1)
  • Indulgence
  • Fireheart (Chay Trilogy, #1)
  • When the Music Stops
  • Out of the Woods (Tarin's World, #1)
  • Magic Mansion
  • Sweet Honey (Chocolate Box Girls, #5)
  • Music Box Danseur
  • Wij, twee jongens
  • Inside Out
  • Muffin (Muffin #1)
  • Ved Vejen
  • It's Like This
Evelyn Deshane aka Evelyn Francis aka Emily James Ray.

---

I’m Evelyn Deshane, although the first book was published under the name emily james ray. I’m a twenty-four year old graduate student working on a Master Thesis in Public Texts with a focus on transgender narratives. I wrote The Dove Keeper when I was eighteen, then tried to forget about it, only to come back later on and realize it was stil
More about Evelyn Deshane...

The Dove Keeper (2 books)
  • The Rainbow
The Epilogue The Rainbow Stains Of Time The Grotesquerie

“You're my dove,just like the one in the apartment,only much different.You're more special,more free,more human.You're my dove and I'm your keeper.” 6 likes