Start by marking “Yield” as Want to Read:

In his evocative and mesmerizing debut novel, Lee Houck depicts a contemporary Manhattan thrumming with sex and violence as seen through the eyes of Simon—a twenty-something part-time hustler with a cadre of loyal, sometimes floundering friends. As Simon grows increasingly involved with a gorgeous, guileless client named Aiden, he tries to navigate a path to fulfillment in ...more
Published September 1st 2010 by Kensington (first published August 19th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Yield, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yield

Jeff Erno
Dec 18, 2010 Jeff Erno rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay-fiction
Simon lives in Manhattan and works as a file clerk at the hospital. This is his part-time day job, but he also works as a gay hustler. Rejected by his own Midwestern family, he has moved to New York City where he has formed a family of choice which consists of three close friends, all gay. This eclectic band of comrades supports one another, but they are disturbed and nearly paralyzed with fear when one of their members, Louis, is victimized in a nearly fatal gay bashing.

Simon takes Louis into h
Oct 12, 2013 Scott rated it really liked it
Shelves: twisted, thepinkroom
A really well-written book. All the pages are worthy and I can tell the author really worked this book to perfection.

Simon is a man living in NYC as a part-time medical records filer with most of his energy spent being a "sure-I-will-do-that", slightly kinky call boy. Note: sex is a plot aspect to this book, not the main focus (read: don't come looking for some hot go-go, hooker boy action)

The story unfolds - questions arise, some are answered (the right ones) and some are you to think
Diane Adams
Jan 31, 2011 Diane Adams rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Diane by: jessewave reviews
This book is not a typical romance and if someone is looking for that, I'm not sure that yield will make you happy. That being said it is one of the most incredible stories I've read in a long time.

The author's understanding and insight into the main character made it a complete shock to me when in his notes he said a different character reminded him more of himself. Yield has the feel of an autobiography. It doesn't feel as if it should be true but as if it is true. Each character is so real a
Kaje Harper
Jul 26, 2011 Kaje Harper rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, literature
3.5 stars. This book had elements of excellence. It tells the first-person story of Simon, a twenty-something young man who hustles and files medical records. And at first both jobs give him something besides money. At one point he reveals that he started hustling by accident while still living at home, and since sex was the way he defined himself it seemed logical. And yet, he puts very few boundaries on the sex. He lists all the things he's willing to do, and the list begins very vanilla with ...more
Jul 19, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing
Yield really took me by surprise. When I read the jacket copy and found out that the novel revolved around a young hustler in Manhattan, I inwardly groaned. It felt slightly cliched, and oh-so 80's gay fiction, but I gave it a try. I quickly noticed the quality of the writing, and the care and (yes, I'll say it) authenticity that permeated this novel. Not a tale of disaffected youth cutting off the world around him, but a coming-of-age story, in the best meaning of that phrase, where a young man ...more
Jun 02, 2011 Merredith rated it it was ok
Recommended to Merredith by: the library
I marked this as two stars, which they translate to "it was ok" because i had a hard time getting through it. this is one of those smart seeming books where you're supposed to think and stuff. i was at my library and i saw multiple copies of this book all over the new book section. with so many copies, it must be great, so I stuffed it in my bag without really looking and brought it home. later, when i started reading it, i found out it's the story of a guy in NYC who is an escort. he's dealing ...more
Neil Mudde
Apr 21, 2011 Neil Mudde rated it it was ok
Interesting perspective from a hustler in the sex trade and a file clerk at the local hospital, rather interesting observations,it deals with the every day lives of persons living in the gay community, one person who is a top model, modelling Calvin Klein's underwear, who gets beaten up, and loses this job, due to facial injuries, the other being the guy with the two jobs, although they both at time perform at 3somes.
I skimmed the last few pages, as I sort of lost interest in their goings on.
Aug 26, 2010 Peter rated it it was amazing
What an incredible book that really captures the sense of both disconnection and connection. Simon's voice captured me immediately, and there was something about the flatness, the lack of affect, that heightened the emotions. His observations and relationships made the story resonate with me when I first read it 3 years ago and still makes me shiver.
Oct 26, 2013 Erin rated it liked it
When I read the back of this book in the library, I thought the word hustler meant someone like woody harrelson in white men can't jump. So I was really surprised by the content of the book. I made it through was alright.
Oct 11, 2013 Stephen rated it liked it
I read this upon a high recommendation from a book review. The review called it erotic(!) but I would disagree. This was nothing more than a simple coming-of-age story of a young gay man who happens to be a hustler.
Dec 10, 2013 Marco rated it really liked it
It's a very well thought book, in details, it has like a psychological meaning, but I just expected something more in this book, it's more like closing a chapter in your life, looking for something else in your life, relationships, and friendship. It's just cool for me, so, 4 stars.
Justin Luke Zirilli
Aug 12, 2011 Justin Luke Zirilli rated it really liked it
The writing is absolutely gorgeous. Lee has an amazing way of looking at things. I blame my own ADD and television-addled brain for not being okay with the slow pace of the novel. I guess that's what I get for mostly reading Thriller and Horror books!
Sara Bohl
Jul 11, 2011 Sara Bohl rated it liked it
A gay hustler in Manhattan. Not the most original plot or the best prose, but entertaining nonetheless. I'm glad the sex scenes were kept fairly discreet. (minus the finger in the pee-hole episode)
Patrick B
this book is truly awful... i cant stand not finishing anything i read but couldnt finish this was too unreservedly bad
Arturo Flores
Arturo Flores rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2011
Marty Correia
Marty Correia rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2013
Phidias rated it it was ok
Oct 10, 2012
Richard rated it liked it
May 20, 2014
James rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2010
Robert rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2014
Elisa Rolle
Oct 25, 2015 Elisa Rolle rated it it was amazing
2011 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Ted Gideonse
Ted Gideonse rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2011
Jeffrey Ricker
Jeffrey Ricker rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2011
Meet Jayne Jetson
Meet Jayne Jetson rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2011
Rusty Schaeffer
Rusty Schaeffer rated it really liked it
May 16, 2014
Cheyenne rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2015
Alex rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2012
Jaded1 rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2015
Benjamin rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2014
Anthony rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Lee Houck was born in Chattanooga, Tennessee and, in 2015, celebrates 17 years of living in New York City. His debut novel, Yield, was the winner of Project QueerLit 2008, and was published by Kensington Books in September 2010. Yield was called “solid unsentimental storytelling” by Publisher’s Weekly and JimColumbu on called it “a bunch of nothings that take you no where, also totally ...more
More about Lee Houck...