Waking Up Wendell

Waking Up Wendell

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  22 reviews
EARLY IN THE MORNING, a little bird at #1 Fish Street hops out of her nest, takes a deep breath, and begins to sing a very loud and whistley song, TWEEEEEET-TWEEEEEET-TA-TA-TA-TWEEEEEET-TWEEEEET!

So starts the story of how a chain of events results in everyone on one street waking up. The bird's song awakens Mr. Krudwig at #2 Fish Street, whose grumbling wakes up Leopold, h...more
Published July 27th 2010 by Schwartz & Wade (first published September 11th 2007)

Sarah Sammis
A recent favorite book of my daughters is Waking Up Wendell by April Stevens. It has earned its way onto the multiple reads pile and was for about two weeks the nightly bedtime story.

The story begins in a tree outside Number 1 Fish Street. The birds wake up the dog who in turn wakes up the owner who puts the dog outside where he can wake up the resident of Number 2. And so it goes through a chain of events through each house and each resident until at last Wendell is awoken.

The book's first winn...more
Natalia Ortega-Brown
"Early in the morning, a little bird at #1 Fish Street hops out of her nest, takes a deep breath, and begins to sing a very loud and whistley song. TWEET-TWEET-TA-TA-TA-TWEET..." And so it begins, a chain reaction that takes us past every house down Fish Street, waking each neighbor and pet in a row with all kids of sounds.
Walking Up Wendell is a fun story to teach sequence of events, cause and effect, numbers (the house numbers are also listed in order), and onomatopoeia (all the different n...more
babyhippoface
When the little bird at #1 Fish Street wakes up and begins singing each morning, she starts a chain of events that awakens residents from house to house, including the last to rise, baby Wendell at #10 Fish Street. Comical facial expressions reflect the various moods of the porcine residents of each home. Onomatopoeia appear on every spread, as the sleep-interrupting noises are printed in large letters across the page. Each home is painted a different color, and the oil paint and colored pencil...more
Pam
This is a children's picture book that I have read many times. It goes through each resident of ten side by side houses on Fish Street and a piece of their waking up routine. The transition from one house to another is made by a noise, such as a barking dog, waking up one resident to the next. It is made funny in that the residents are all pigs personified. It is a great book that makes children and adults chuckle.
IrenesChristianReviews
One after another the neighbors on Fish Street are woken up. One is woken up by a bird another by a dog and so on. In the end they wake up the last animal in the last house, baby Wendell.

I enjoyed the book because it was easy to read and had a fun quick story about people waking up and what they do when they first get up. This was a fun story about a street and the different neighbors that live there.

Janet
More of a 2.5 star book...This is a cute premise - sort of a whisper-down-the-lane, cause and effect story. There are some nice, onomatopoetic words throughout. One of the main things that makes it less than satisfying is that the events that happen throughout don't really seem to be tied together. The end of the book doesn't seem to relate at all to the beginning.
Molly
This tale gives readers a peak into the early mornings on Fish Street. The song of one little bird is enough to start a whole chain reaction. This would make a nice storytime read, as there are sounds, noises and voices on each page just begging for the kids to make them.
Dolly
Nov 19, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens, pets
This is a cute story about how the residents of Fish Street are woken up progressively, from one house to the next. The cartoonish illustrations and main characters that are pigs are entertaining for young children. It's a fun story to read aloud.
Tiffany
I wouldn't have guessed that my kids would enjoy this book so much. I'm still not sure why they enjoy it. I'd probably give it two stories (so so story, cute pictures) but they'd probably say 4 stars, so we'll go for 3 stars.
Milo P.
Dec 01, 2013 Milo P. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Library find
"I don't like Lilah's song. I just like her."
Momma says that this book it good for helping toddlers like me develop a sense of sequence in a story and character connection.
Shellee
great story for younger children, my 2 yr old loved it. It is about how living in a neighborhood can effect your wake-up time. Fun sounds, have students imitate...
PreSchool-Grade 2 SLJ/ Ages 4-8 BK
story tells how each neighbor does something to wake up the next until the whole street is awake. cute pictures
Suebee
Great for onomotopoeia - but Ugh - so long! Seemed to be aimed at preschoolers but the story is written for 3rd graders and up.
Tara
We had a lot of fund with the sound effects on this story. It just went on a little long. Illustrations were cute.
Julie
Loved the progressive nature of the book and the sense of community. The illustrations are bold and bright.
Roy
A cleverly crafted book that takes children on a delightful trip down a charming street.
Melanie
Great for teaching kids cause-and-effect.
Sara Mostek
Audience: boys/girls
Ages: 3-8
Colorful, Funny
Minorlibrarian
Chain of events leads to waking up the baby.
Jaime
This was a fun adventure of cause and effect.
Megan
Carli
Carli added it
Jan 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Edwin Speaks Up Angel Angel Teach Me Tiger!