Start by marking “State of Emergency: The Third World Invasion and Conquest of America” as Want to Read:
State of Emergency: The Third World Invasion and Conquest of America

State of Emergency: The Third World Invasion and Conquest of America

Conservative political commentator Patrick J. Buchanan insists that America's melting pot has been shattered beyond repair, that the assimilation and Americanization of immigrants that we once took for granted no longer occurs. In State of Emergency, the senior adviser to three American presidents sounds an alarm about the continuing flood of illegal and legal immigration. ...more
Published August 22nd 2006 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about State of Emergency, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about State of Emergency

Mason Owens
I am becoming fully convinced that our experiment in economic globalism has been disastrous for American sovereignty, and the national well being
Jessica Frey
Feb 10, 2017 Jessica Frey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hey Pat, Trump stole all of your ideas :p

There aren't enough stars in the world to accurately describe how good this book is. Pat is incredibly smart, and his knowledge of US history is vast. It's crazy how relevant this book still is, 10 years after publication!

"What is required of us is the confidence and courage of our forefathers, who made no apologies for who and what they were, as they believed--and rightly so--that theirs was the greatest civilization and culture the world had ever produ
Samantha
Dec 19, 2007 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book. A great history book that fills you in on different points in history were immigration has ruined a nation. Mr. Buchanan lays down a very good case using a lot of quotes and sitations. However, I felt it was too much. I wanted his point of view not a bunch of quotes that he picked to back him up. Some are give it weight but too many and you get bogged down. I enjoyed how he wove it all together. However, I felt that some of the chapters didn't have a point and were repetiti ...more
Hewitt Moore
Jun 21, 2010 Hewitt Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!
Paul O'Leary
Jan 08, 2017 Paul O'Leary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pat has a legitimate beef: Trump has indeed stolen his "playbook". Right down to his Mexican wall; though Pat actually just calls for building a double fence. Unfortunately, Pat's playbook delivered through the Donald's mouth doesn't begin to do his(Buchanan's) arguments justice. Pat is a thoughtful, funny, and smart man who isn't afraid to ruffle the feathers of liberal convention, nor conservative intellectual laziness and hypocrisy, for that matter. Others of some note seem to draw inspiratio ...more
Jaybird Rex
Apr 30, 2010 Jaybird Rex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I consider myself a progressive and, as part of that, try to take an eristic approach to everything. Sometimes that means picking up a Pat Buchanan book. He excels at making his point in this one: The current high volume of illegal immigrants in the U.S. is a serious, even existential problem, bound to ruin us culturally and economically if not tackled asap.

I don't agree that this is so. Yes, there are certainly "Chicano Chauvinists" are taking advantage of the weird moral exercise of guilt a lo
Jimmy
Oct 18, 2007 Jimmy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Liberals, conservatives, and every red blooded American.
What I learned from this book...

AMERICA IS DOOMED! Immigration (both legal and illegal) is going to destroy everything our founding fathers and countless generations of Americans have worked so hard to build. Third world immigrants from around the globe are changing the face of America and quickly turning America into the largest third world conglomerate on the planet.

Our children and our children's children had better learn to speak Spanish cause English speaking Americans are going to be the
Steve
May 15, 2010 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book makes one think. Whether or not one agrees with Buchanan's conclusions this book will make one assess what the terms Culture and Civilization mean. American Culture and Western Civilization are being destroyed by a misplaced sense of guilt, and a misguided sense of material elitism. Read this book and understand why Culture matters.
Nostraquedeo
Oct 09, 2010 Nostraquedeo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good but the flirtation with the "bell curve" stuff was too unpalatable to lend any weight to his argument. I agree with the data and the necessity to act but would wave deleted the chapter on relativism.
Andy Ward
Sep 14, 2014 Andy Ward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on the immigration issue. It's a little dated now, being written under W's administration, but still an excellent look at the effects of illegal immigration, how to solve the problem, and much more. Despite its age, the book is definitely a good read on the topic.
Jack
Mar 28, 2013 Jack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Decent --- At times racist, at times xenophobic but some good historical information on immigration to the US over the past 150 years. Strong focus on the Southern border and those who cross it illegally.
Adam Spivey
Feb 13, 2012 Adam Spivey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
The West has embraced diversity, multiculturalism, and open immigration. Buchanan demonstrates how this is destroying communities, causing division and hostility, causing financial bankruptcy, and leading to a national collapse. Buchanan has been prophetic on this issue.
Caralee
May 31, 2008 Caralee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I ended up not finishing this book, it was just stats and similar information that was repeated over and over. I might try to read it again later, but I found another book to read that will benefit me a lot more.
Ken
Oct 07, 2007 Ken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who thinks we do not have an illegal immigrant problem
Buchanan is usually to the right of me, but on this issue we agree. Illegal immigration is one of our most serious problems. This is the best book on the subject that I have read. Every U.S.citizen should read this book before it is too late for our country.
E
Aug 24, 2007 E rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Read. Lots of people think he is out there. I don't. I think he is just unafraid to say it like it is.
Johnrh
May 13, 2012 Johnrh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Packed with facts, which you're welcome to refute, but at least it has facts. Regardless of your stand on the issue, a lot of good points about unsecured borders and unlimited "migration".
Mark Cooper
Feb 11, 2008 Mark Cooper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mark_pre-su07
[Audio] A conservative's conservative. No foolishness approach to some of the cultural crises we face. Pulled me hard to the right, good stuff.
Dec 31, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great one! This guy has quite the insight - what a shame he cant take over and fix this once great nation before it is too late~
Don Weidinger
Sep 07, 2014 Don Weidinger rated it really liked it
die from suicide not murder, Rome example and other countries, FDR Ted Kennedy and more reverse of today, have done fence before to preserve both sides, perhaps a state issue not fed
Jan 16, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
if you agree that illegal immigration is a huge issue, you will enjoy it. if you are a huge liberal, probably not.
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2008
Bradford Kelley
Bradford Kelley rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2014
Robert Marshall
Robert Marshall rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Doug
Doug rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2008
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Dane Stewart
Dane Stewart rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2012
David Breen
David Breen rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Heath e. Sutherly
This is the second part of Buchanan's warning that the end of of country is coming soon!
Marcin Bąbrych
Marcin Bąbrych rated it did not like it
Sep 13, 2015
Doug Daley
Doug Daley rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Hell to Pay: The Unfolding Story of Hillary Rodham
  • High Crimes and Misdemeanors: The Case Against Bill Clinton
  • The Doctrine of Fascism
  • Wheels for the World: Henry Ford, His Company, and a Century of Progress
  • Who's Looking Out for You?
  • The Conscience of a Conservative
  • It Is Dangerous to Be Right When the Government Is Wrong: The Case for Personal Freedom
  • Great Powers: America and the World After Bush
  • Slouching Towards Gomorrah: Modern Liberalism and American Decline
  • The Vision of the Anointed: Self-Congratulation as a Basis for Social Policy
  • The Conservative Mind: From Burke to Eliot
  • Surrender Is Not an Option: Defending America at the United Nations
  • No Better Place to Die: The Battle Of Stones River
  • The West and the Rest: Globalization and the Terrorist Threat
  • The Betrayal Of The American Right
  • Right Turns: From Liberal Activist to Conservative Champion in 35 Unconventional Lessons
  • The Roosevelt Myth: 50th Anniversary Edition
  • The New Dealers' War: F.D.R. and the War Within World War II
One of America's best known paleoconservatives, Buchanan served as a senior advisor to Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, and Ronald Reagan. He ran for president in 1992, 1996 and 2000. Buchanan is an isolationist on the subject of American foreign policy and believes in a restrictive immigration policy.

More about Patrick J. Buchanan...