Start by marking “1901” as Want to Read:
1901

1901

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  780 ratings  ·  44 reviews
The year is 1901. Germany’s navy is the second largest in the world; their army, the most powerful. But with the exception of a small piece of Africa and a few minor islands in the Pacific, Germany is without an empire. Kaiser Wilhelm II demands that the United States surrender its newly acquired territories: Guam, Puerto Rico, Cuba, and the Philippines. President McKinley ...more
Published (first published June 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about 1901, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1901

Tony Held
The plot of this novel had much merit, especially since Robert Conroy was inspired by actual plans made by Imperial Germany to invade the USA. But Conroy's novel soon runs around on one-dimensional fictional characters, cliched events and situations (including romances!)

Conroy also delights in killing off historical personalities. In this alternate history, William F. Halsey (then a midshipman at the US Naval Academy) and John Philip Holland (a pioneer designer of submarines) bite the dust. And
David Johnston
Yes at the dawn of the 20th century the Germans really did consider throwing down with the United States to try to get their recently acquired colonial empire. I'm pretty sure they couldn't have launched a transatlantic invasion in force without giving their target months of warning just from the necessary preparation. But that's...ok. It's more plausible at least than certain invasion stories set in more recent times. It also doesn't make the mistake of going too rah-rah ala Harry Harrison. Pas ...more
Joseph Farand
Kaiser Wilhelm II decides that Germany should have a globe spanning empire and demands that the United States surrender its newly acquired territories: Guam, Puerto Rico, Cuba and the Philippines. When President McKinley refuses, he launches an invasion striking first on Long Island. With the majority of the U.S.A.'s small army and navy deployed overseas the mainland is virtually defenseless. When McKinley suffers a fatal heart attack, the new president is a young, inexperienced Theodore Rooseve ...more
Adrienne
This is one of those alternate histories that I have to confess I enjoy. Many books in this category concern wars, such as the First or Second World War, and this one does too. However, the war in this book is completely fictitious. In Robert Conroy’s 1901, Germany under Kaiser Wilhelm II has the world’s strongest army, a navy second only to Great Britain, and very few overseas colonies. Because of all of these things, the Kaiser decides that Germany must go to war to acquire some valuable terri ...more
Joe Boeke
Most people realize that an alternative history novel (just like a Science Fiction novel) requires some ability, on the part of the reader, to suspend one's disbelief. A good, well written, story assists the reader in doing this. For me this is the hallmark not only of a good story but also a good writer. In the case of Robert Conroy's 1901: A Novel, the premise behind the story certainly was engaging enough (a punitive German invasion of the United States in the aftermath of the Spanish America ...more
Joe
Nice read offering an alternate history based on historical documents. The basis is, the Second Reich which was ruled by Kaiser Wilhelm II was very upset with the fact that United States had become a world power by the conquest of the Philippines and Cuba. He devises a plan to invade America with the intention of forcing a capitulation in which the US will hand over these newly acquired lands in return for peace and German withdrawal.
McKinley is President as these events unfold and lucky for us
Saaropean
This is clearly written by an American, for Americans. Everything about the Germans is badly researched: wrong uniform colors, misconceptions about the way the army was organized in 1901, why people emigrated in the 1850s, etc.
It's not a badly written novel, though. Too many military details for my taste.
I stopped reading after 28%.
John Nevola
Alternative history has always intrigued history buffs and 1901 presents one of the most illogical premises imaginable; a German invasion of the U.S.A. in 1901. That's what makes this book so interesting.

There are certainly historical flaws in the book and some "leaps of faith" that make the highly improbable largely possible. But the whole idea of some highly unlikely event taking place is more believable to those who are aware of some "highly unlikely" events that have occurred throughout hist
Ralph
Nov 07, 2013 Ralph rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ralph by: book club
I was recommended this book by a science fiction themed book club as it is an alternate history story line. The events and actions in it have no science fiction or fantastical elements.

i found the premise engaging and the execution impeccable in taking a point of history and turning it through an alternate sequence of events. every events and action from the initial point of divergence was a believable action and fitting the parties involved.

I would heartily recommend this to any student of hist
Mark R Smith
Good read.

Nice easy read. Made a good pass the day away book. Only real problem to me was the scene switches not clear.
Howard Anders
The first of Mr. Conroy's books that I have read; it won't be the last. Very well written, with a nice blend of fictional and historical characters. An overlying assumption in the book is that, by 1901, technology had advanced to the extent that it was very difficult for humans to control. I think this a fair assumption. I don't believe that the nations of Europe would allow baby Germany to run roughshod over their maritime trade, as depicted in the book. Older nations: Britain, France, Russia, ...more
Harry
Just a fun read! This was Mr. Conroy's first book and while the prose was not the best it held my interest and kept me turning the pages. The alternate history point of departure is very unique (Germans invading the US in 1901.) I like his more narrative approach to unfolding the story and found the plot engaging, believable, and historically accurate. The book also has interesting extrapolation ideas and alludes to some interesting changes in the future because of the departure. This is the thi ...more
Pat
A fascinating fun romp through 1901 USA vs Kaiser Wilhelm's army and navy - re-writing 1914 history to occur just a little earlier and play with the idea. Some interesting cameo appearances such as James Longstreet at age 86 taking command of the US army to fight against the German Army, and various younger versions of the WW1 and WW2 leaders we know from our history: Douglas McArthur, Dewey, Roosevelt, and their matching German counterparts. Overall, very entertaining with some riveting naval a ...more
Jase
Based on the premise of a little-known and highly unfeasible plot by the German Empire to invade and occupy Manhattan, this book is an interesting read. However, as with most Robert Conroy books, the characters a little two-dimensional. While that's not necessarily a bad thing, as the book keeps a pace that is lacking in some of his other novels, the imagery in it does sometime seem to be just as bland as the characters. Overall, I enjoyed it.
Ruth
I was intrigued by the idea of an alternate history in 1901. However, after reading about half the book I find that there are too many attitudes and behaviors from our contemporary society projected onto people living over 100 years ago. Some of the character descriptions, attitudes and actions also bordered on caricature. I also thought the profanity and sexual references over done.
Justin
An interesting alternate-history book in a time period that I have not read much about. A solid read and would suggest it to anyone of a fan of military history and "What if" scenarios, this one involving a German invasion of the US in an attempt to force America to give up some of its territories around the world, in order to expand the Second Reich.
Khairul
Conroy's alternate history brings forward the great war to the turn of the century and brings it closer to the shores of the United States. I guess nothing brings a nation close together other than a common enemy. Unfortunately it is also a rallying call used by the Bush Administration to cripple democracy and justice.
David
Love alt-history books but this one left me wanting. Seemed to lack the depth I find in say a Turtledove book and the writing style just felt rushed. The idea interested me but the "history" seems somehow contrived. It was an okay read but I don't know if I will try any of his other books. Probably stick to Turtledove.
Dan Laiacona
A refreshing "non sci-fi" alternate history stand alone. With a believable premise, interesting use of historical figures and well described battle scenes the pages flew by. I usually don't go for non series books but am glad I picked this one up. Will have to check out more from this author.
Eric
Somewhat one dimensional characters but an entertaining read to pass the time while stuck in the airport. As an interesting historical aside the German general staff actually had drawn up contingency plans for the operation that provides the premise for this book.
Jonathan

I can handle the premise. But too many men were "wailing" as things happened, especially TR, and the romantic story lines were totally unnecessary and awkwardly handled, Jeff Shaara found a far better tone with the Adams' in Rise to Rebellion
Jota Houses
¿Y si tras la Guerra de Cuba el Kaiser Guillermo hubiese decidido arrebatar las antiguas colonias españolas a los americanos y hubiese invadido Nueva York para forzar al gobierno americano a negociar?
Un divertimento en historia alternativa que se deja leer.
Steven Raszewski
Another good Conroy book, though this one was the most far fetched of all his books.
Nachman Kataczinsky
An interesting book with a surprising premise.
Ross
Although it skips around a good bit, giving the story a disjointed feeling at times, I still immensely enjoyed this book. If Conroy's style has gotten smoother, I would very much like to read some of his later alternate history novels.
Janinne Garrett
I enjoyed this book. It's fiction - that inherently means all the facts aren't right. If I wanted to read about how it all actually happened, I'd read a true account nor a science fiction version.
Jason Reeser
I'm a big fan of alternate history, and this should have been great, but it missed some. A bit too focused on some annoyingly soap opera-ish characters. But still fun.
MVV
A very interesting and believable alternative history of the Prussina Empire invading the upstart American Empire. I plan on reading more from this author!
David R.
I have really tried to picture Imperial German troops invading Long Island and Connecticut during the McKinley administration. Doesn't cut it.
Michael Benedetto
Excellent book. Face paced, with a tradional "everything turned out okay in the end" kind of ending, with enough set up for the next book.
  • Stars and Stripes Forever (Stars and Stripes, #1)
  • Days of Infamy (Days of Infamy, #1)
  • Marching Through Georgia (Draka, #1)
  • Fox on the Rhine
  • 1812: The Rivers of War (Trail of Glory, #1)
  • The Two Georges
  • Resurrection Day
  • The Way It Wasn't: Great Science Fiction Stories of Alternate History (Citadel Twilight)
  • For Want of a Nail: If Burgoyne had won at Saratoga
Robert Conroy was a best selling author of alternate history novels. His 1942, which is set within a Japanese conquest of Hawaii, won the prestigious Sidewise Award for alternate histories.

After taking early retirement from automotive management, Conroy decided to combine his loves of history and writing. After discovering that Kaiser Wilhelm had plans to invade the U.S., he wrote his first alter
More about Robert Conroy...
1945 Red Inferno: 1945 1942 1862 Himmler's War