Panic

Panic

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Through portraits painted in a muted palette, Panic embraces the ratcheting music of grief. Laura McCullough strives to uncover secrets beneath the platitudinal. Her narrative lyrics juxtapose private and public despair, portraying isolated stoicism against the backdrop of rippling disorder.
Published January 18th 2011 by Alice James Books (first published January 1st 2011)

Grady
A Seer Speaks

Laura McCullough is a poet who continues to explore situations and emotions unavailable to others - subsurface fears, frustrations, moments of doubt that arise only out of living a life that crosses forbidden accepted borders. She has that uncanny ability to shave terror and fear into moments that are tangent to a bizarre humor, seemingly finding the human comedy that so often is masked by a brittle black surface of incidental reality. In PANIC McCullough finds incidents of disaste...more
Damian Rucci
Panic by Laura McCullough is an interesting, yet great read. What seems to appear as a collection of mismatched poetry, culminates into a beautiful narration of a tragic loss. Each and every poem stands by itself, however, when in placement with one another, they forge a deep set tale, which invokes feelings and awe. Panic is the first book of poetry that I have ever read. Reading through its pages I have found a content place within poetry, and now aspire to read other collections of poetry.

Che...more
Katie
I was just wondering if it would be too intense to write a collection of poetry where each poem is a tragedy, when I found this one. I had to step away a few times--it did make me tense--and it also had some moments of great storytelling. Good pace.
Gerry LaFemina
This is an absolutely lovely book book of poems: on a line-by-line level, this book made me keep reading, and kept surprising me with its language, with its poetry and with its heart.
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Liv Lansdale
Liv Lansdale marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2013
Locapoka
Locapoka is currently reading it
Sep 15, 2012
Beth L
Beth L marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2012
Lindsay Oberst
Lindsay Oberst marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2012
Fritz
Fritz marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2011
tee
tee marked it as to-read
May 10, 2011
Luis Correa
Luis Correa marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2011
Zoë
Zoë marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2011
Peter E.
Peter E. is currently reading it
Feb 24, 2011
Speech Acts Rigger Death and Hoist Another What Men Want: Poems The Smashing House The Room and the World: Essays of the Poet Stephen Dunn