Start by marking “Rise of the Wolf (Wereworld, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rise of the Wolf (Wereworld, #1)

Rise of the Wolf (Wereworld #1)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  3,101 Ratings  ·  320 Reviews
Imagine a world ruled by Werelords - men and women who can shift at will into bears, lions, and serpents. When Drew suddenly discovers he's not only a werewolf but the long-lost heir to the murdered Wolf King's throne, he must use his wits and newfound powers to survive in a land suddenly full of enemies. Drew's the only one who can unite the kingdom in a massive uprising ...more
Published 2011 by Puffin

To ask other readers questions about Rise of the Wolf, please sign up.

Scharlotte Penton I definitely would not recommend this series to younger readers, but it depends on what a person can handle. This series as a whole is incredibly gory…moreI definitely would not recommend this series to younger readers, but it depends on what a person can handle. This series as a whole is incredibly gory (as in, a character has half of their face ripped off within the first few chapters and their horribly disfigured face is described in gruesome detail later on.) In addition, characters are occasionally described as being nude; however, said nudity is never described in detail. Many characters die over the course of the series, both good and bad. If you want a definite age, I'd go 13+, just to be safe.(less)
Eric Bratcher Nothing overt. There's a gradual attraction that develops between two characters, but it's never stated and never gets further than hugs or one…moreNothing overt. There's a gradual attraction that develops between two characters, but it's never stated and never gets further than hugs or one resting her head on the other's chest. (less)

Curtis Jobling
Jan 02, 2011 Curtis Jobling rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Well I'm a bit biased, really, aren't I?

Gwenyth Love
Nov 13, 2011 Gwenyth Love rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I honestly don't have a bad word to say about this book. It was amazing. Honestly, this will most likely be more of a gush that a review...but hey...it's my blog right?

I don't think I realized this about myself before, but after reading Wereworld I discovered that I love me a character who can get his ass thoroughly kicked, and either run away or luckily win a fight because someone who cared about them helped them out...not just because they are the main character, and they are uber, and have su
Ranting Dragon
Aug 30, 2011 Ranting Dragon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephan

Curtis Jobling, the author of Wereworld: Rise of the Wolf, is also the brains behind Bob the Builder. A book combining Bob the Builder with such a title might not sound very promising to you. In fact, you might note that the very title Wereworld: Rise of the Wolf sounds as corny as you always imagined Bob the Builder to be. Well, if that’s the case, you are spot on.

Much epicness in this one
The first thirty pages introduce us to Drew, a sheepherder who live
Kristalia
Jun 14, 2012 Kristalia rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kristalia by: Raven.mikhail
Final rating: 4/5 stars

Now, this was an interesting book. I missed reading high fantasy and i liked this one. Though i must say that it was pretty much dark, and i have no idea how goodreads classified this to be children's book, because it certainly didn't feel like one. I feel that the world building was a bit different than what i was used to - there were many shapeshifters of all kinds and i loved that. No, seriously, it's an interesting world. Oh, and i heard that the sequels were even bet
Amy
Apr 29, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tragedy, romance, flying fur, and sharpened, pointy teeth tearing through flesh...to top it all off werewolves were not the only things shifting in this book.

This is the realm of the Werelords. The noble families are all of different were descent. Fox, wolf, bear, and even boar are all represented in the land of Lyssia. Drew and his brother, Trent grew up on a farm with their mother and father, not unlike many other poor farming families in the kingdom. One night, as Drew and his mother awaited
Emma
Dec 16, 2010 Emma rated it really liked it
The first thing that caught my attention with this book was unbelievably the index. The story is set out in different sections which had my imagination questioning the reasoning for this before I even started reading - Would there be mini-stories? Would it be different points in time? Would it be different characters focalization? Remember this is all before I even started reading the book - the power of the index [ : D ]

Another thing I have to mention about the book before I started reading it,
Claire (Cem)
Dec 11, 2010 Claire (Cem) rated it it was amazing
4.5/5 Review originally published at Cem's Book Hideout.

I must confess that I wasn't sure how much I'd enjoy this book. I thought it sounded good, and that I'd likely consider it a decent read, just maybe not for me. Turned out, I loved it! I'm a huge urban fantasy fan, but rarely a fantasy one. But Drew had me won over in a very short space of time.

Drew is a strong character, but events early in the book take a tole on his confidence and leave him seeming more vulnerable and a little younger th
Mina
Dec 17, 2010 Mina rated it really liked it
Every werewolf book has its perks, needless to say, WEREWORLD: Rise of the Wolf is unquestionably a book which stands out from the rest. With its super attractive cover, I got consumed within a world of adventure, action and speck of romance.

The protagonist, Drew, is a character that’s empowered with strength, power and a whole lot of ability. There are many qualities I love however, the main thing I really love how he is extremely determined to do anything.

It was heartbreaking to witness Drew b
Alyazia
Jun 05, 2015 Alyazia rated it it was amazing
Its very adventurous and its mostly about a farm boy who doesn't know that he is a prince and werewolf. He found himself with lost of experience and mystery. I really recommend it if someone loves fantasy.
Darren Hartwell
Jan 01, 2011 Darren Hartwell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, werewolf
Imagine a fantasy world on par with that created by Tolkien for his Lord of the Rings books, and then take away the orcs, elves, dwarves, etc. and throw in a werewolf. And some werelions. Oh yes, and whilst you're at it wererats, werefoxes, wereboar and even a wereshark. Add to this a huge amount of writing talent and the end product is Wereworld: Rise of the Wolf by Curtis Jobling, the most exciting fantasy story I have read for years.

I imagine that many readers will make the same incorrect ass
Caroline
Apr 09, 2011 Caroline rated it it was amazing
I am going to unleash the fan girl within me and say I LOVE THIS BOOK *squealing*!

Drew is a farm boy living with his family in a remoted part of Lyssia. He doesn't fit in and, when compared with his twin brother, feels that he can't do much. One night, something terrible happens to him and before he knows it, he finds himself on the run and having to survive in hostile environments full of werecreatures. His journey though is only beginning and he will go through more than he could ever imagine.
Drew is happy with his simple life living on the farm with his parents and his brother, he loves the land and has no plans to leave. Then one terrible night everything changes, after a vicious attack by a mysterious creature Drew is changed forever. Suddenly he doesn't know who he is anymore and he realises that everything he has been told as he was growing up was a lie. Forced to leave his home after a terrible accusation Drew finds himself alone and on the run in one of the most dangerous part ...more
Alexander Draganov
Feb 21, 2012 Alexander Draganov rated it it was amazing
"Rise of the Wolf" is an astonishing fantasy debut and a book, for which I have waited many, many years. For too long the subgenre of the epic fantasy was dying in the vicelike grip of slow-moving, low tension and neverending series of massive proportion and no sense of wonder and adventure at all. With "Rise of the Wolf" Curtis Jobling brings the genre back to its roots and creates an original world, in which he unleashes his imagination to create a fast paced adventure, which could easily be p ...more
Chris
Nov 20, 2012 Chris rated it liked it
This one was recommended to me by an enthusiastic young male reader, and I can see why. Werewolves for young adults, yes, but none of that romance stuff or competition with vampires or anything at all like the horde of Twilight spawns. It's a high fantasy, where the lords, ladies, and nobility are all werecreatures of one sort or another.

Drew, our young protagonist, is a simple farm lad. Until the day a creature of some sort crashes through the window and kills his mom and he instinctively trans
Claire
Sep 17, 2012 Claire rated it liked it
This probably sounds like a snobbish criticism, the kind of thing an ass might say, but at times throughout this book it almost seemed like Jobling was trying too hard, at least harder than he needed to in order to tell the story and get the right tone across. Don't get me wrong, I liked this book, enjoyed parts of it a great deal, but there were moments that seemed to be lacking in a way. I can't quite put my finger on it, something about the way the author writes his narrative just had me crin ...more
ALPHAreader
Jan 14, 2011 ALPHAreader rated it it was amazing

‘Wereworld: Rise of the Wolf’ is the first Young Adult paranormal book from Curtis Jobling. Jobling is already a renowned British illustrator and animator, best known for his work on the TV show ‘Bob the Builder’.

The Seven Realms is a mythical world where territories and borders are divided according to Lycanthropic rule. These ‘rulers’ are not only the traditional shapeshifting Werewolves, but a plethora of were animals known as ‘Werelords’. There are Wererats and Werefoxes stretching from The
Justin
Dec 28, 2010 Justin rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, own
Drew Ferran was raised on a rural farmstead in an area called the Cold Coast. Drew lived the simple life with his family until tragedy struck one night while his father and brother were away at market. A monster invades their home. While terrified, Drew unleashes a beast from within himself that he never knew existed. His father and brother return to a gruesome scene of Drew huddled over his bloodied mother. Confusion and rage ensue as the blame quickly falls on Drew. He is forced to flee his ow ...more
Brenda
Dec 06, 2012 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, spooky
I will be the first to admit that I haven't delved into the werewolf/shape shifting genre. I really wasn't sure how a book like this would turn out to be for younger readers. Needless to say, I was really drawn in by the wonderful realm Curtis Jobling created. Not only that, Drew is such a likeable character. He strives to do the right thing above all. The supporting characters also help add dimension to the story providing for the action that is to follow.

The story begins with Drew living in a
John  Cano
Sep 10, 2015 John Cano rated it liked it
***SPOILER ALERT*** (Lel not really)

Drew is an ordinary shepard's son, until a horrifying creature bursts into his home and savagely murders his mother-and Drew transforms into a beast himself. The genre of the book is fantasy, as it does involve magic and werewolf. My overall opinion on the book was would be an 8/10. I thought it deserved at least a 6 when I started the book, but as I progressed through the book, it got better.
The book is about a young boy named Drew who adventures on a long
Mahesh Subramaniam
Dec 06, 2010 Mahesh Subramaniam rated it really liked it
I’d say the best way to describe this book is Pirates of the Caribbean meets Lord of the rings. Curtis Joblings introduces us to a completely unique and exciting world full of unpredictability and adventure.
But don’t be fooled by Curtis Joblings graceful writing style, he doesn’t pull any punches. The amount of horrible things that happen to the main characters especially Drew really makes you wonder exactly how much pain can a reader endure.

The first half of the book develops at a calm steady
Joseph Leskey
Jan 28, 2017 Joseph Leskey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: wihtu
This isn't half bad, I might well say. Accordingly, enjoyment registered in my brain as I read it. The author did well with the concept of shape shifting and has quite a good plot going. I was not too unhappy about the amount of leather armor mentioned in the book. I suddenly found out that I like stories to have leather armor in them (please don't tell any livestock you happen to come across (supposing you can speak in their tongue)). The characters were all pretty good, quite well suited to th ...more
Bungle Midnight Reads
Jul 23, 2010 Bungle Midnight Reads rated it really liked it

Loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really like the idea of werelords! All different werecreatures rather than just werewolves.
I love the relationship between Drew and Hector and how it was formed and the way it develops throughout the book. There is so much I want to say about this book but I can't without spoiling it!

This book is full of adventure, love (not the mushy kind), loss, loyalty, betrayal and friendship! What more could you want!?!
Nicola
Mar 23, 2011 Nicola rated it really liked it
enjoyed this book, wasn't sure if i would or not as i thought i had had enough of night creatures books but this was a little different, a bit dark in places but i got into it very quickly and enjoyed the story, looking forward to the next one. good for a bit of light reading.
Raven.mikhail
Jun 14, 2012 Raven.mikhail rated it really liked it
A very different outlook to Shapeshifters, it is a blend of fantasy and paranormal. The hero starts out as a shepherd and finds out he is the last of the wolves thus beginning his adventures which eventually leads him to the Westland throne. A must read.
Shari Kay
Dec 19, 2014 Shari Kay marked it as no-thank-you
I would hate the series ending. (view spoiler) <---big spoiler
Beverly
May 01, 2011 Beverly rated it it was amazing
Imagine a world ruled by Werelords--men and women who can shift at will into bears, lions, and serpents. When Drew suddenly discovers he's not only a werewolf but the long-lost heir to the murdered Wolf King's throne, he must use his wits and newfound powers to survive in a land suddenly full of enemies. Drew's the only one who can unite the kingdom in a massive uprising against its tyrant ruler, Leopold the Lion. But the king is hot on Drew's tail and won't rest until he's got the rebel Wolf's ...more
Gwenyth Love

Michelle (Clover Hill Book Reviews)
Drew loves the outdoors and being with nature, and from the start you know he's gifted with a unique sense of what is within his world through his senses. This sixth sense is accepted easily by his brother, Trent. Drew has always felt slightly at odds with his father, it's almost as if he has done something to not make the mark with him.

The storyline is vivid and well built, I felt as if I was in there with Drew, especially when he first transforms. His transformation sees the beginning of a new
Jem
Sep 17, 2013 Jem rated it it was amazing
Shelves: before-2017

A Drunken Kamelion Book Review

Ugh. Where to start without fangirling over this book completely?

CURTIS JOBLING. YOU HAVE WRITTEN THE MOST EPIC OF EPIC FANTASIES KNOWN TO MAN. Considering I haven't even read most of Rage of Lions yet, that's quite a statement.

Yes, you heard right. Curtis Jobling. The guy responsible for things from Bob The Builder, Raa Raa The Noisy Lion and Driver Dan's Story Train, has written THIS. THIS MASTERPIECE RIGHT HERE. I'm completely amazed, and it's 10000000000000x bet
Fernanda Assis
Dec 21, 2012 Fernanda Assis rated it really liked it
Esta resenha foi postada no blog Viagem Literária, li a edição em português e posto aqui parte da resenha porque eu adorei o livro e vi que não é muito conhecido.

Comecei este livro pensando que era mais uma fantasia juvenil, mas ao fim do terceiro capítulo já estava viciada na história e em tudo que acontecia; e o autor consegue manter um ritmo alucinante e cheio de reviravoltas até o final.

Drew é tudo que um protagonista deve ser: um garoto pobre da fazenda que se vê acusado injustamente pelo a
  • Blood Wolf (Changeling, #3)
  • Wolf Blood
  • Red Moon Rising Red Moon Rising
  • Coyote's Daughter
  • Ash Mistry and the City of Death (Ash Mistry Chronicles, #2)
  • Time of Trial (The Laws of Magic, #4)
  • Taming Darkness (Artemis Lupine, #4)
  • Wolven (Wolven, #1)
  • Firebrand (Rebel Angels, #1)
  • The Crab (Legend of the Five Rings: Clan War 5)
  • Her Dark Destiny (Hunters of the Dark, #1)
  • Resurrection (The Wereling, #3)
  • The Alamo (I, Q, #4)
  • She Wolf (True Mates, #1)
  • Dusk Conspiracy (Werelove, #1)
  • The Maelstrom (The Tapestry, #4)
  • Tamed
  • Escape from Shadow Island (Max Cassidy, #1)
Curtis Jobling is an author and illustrator based in the UK. Working in publishing and animation he is possibly most (in)famously known as the designer of the BAFTA winning "Bob The Builder", as well as creator of CBeebies "Raa Raa the Noisy Lion" and CBBC's "Frankenstein’s Cat". Early work in animation included model and puppet painting on Wallace & Gromit’s "A Close Shave" and Tim Burton’s " ...more
More about Curtis Jobling...

Wereworld (6 books)
  • Rage of Lions (Wereworld, #2)
  • Shadow of the Hawk (Wereworld, #3)
  • Nest of Serpents (Wereworld, #4)
  • Storm of Sharks (Wereworld, #5)
  • War of the Werelords (Wereworld, #6)

“I want to look at you as you kill me.” 22 likes
“side. “Not good,” he replied, “but I’ll live.” “Well, quick now, get on Chancer while I see to Master Hogan,” Drew whispered. As Whitley grabbed the horse by the reins, Drew scrambled over to the scout, who lay slumped in a bed of bracken. “Get gone,” said the old ranger, barely audible. The color had drained from his face, and his lips were pale and bloodless.” 2 likes