The Presence: A Ghost Story

The Presence: A Ghost Story

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  250 ratings  ·  47 reviews
A brutal car accident that claimed the life of her best friend has left seventeen-year-old Catherine in a state of shock and severe depression. She longs to move forward with her life, but feels she can’t until she is somehow assured of her friend’s forgiveness. On a Christmas visit to her grandmother in Pasadena, a mysterious and handsome stranger approaches Catherine at...more
Published September 6th 2010 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published September 22nd 2003)

Caris
Holy hell.

I’m glad it was short.

The Presence tells the story of a girl who’s being preyed upon by the ghost of a boy who died a long, long time ago. He wants her to be with him forever and ever.

The writing, as you may have guessed, left something to be desired. The dialogue was unbelievable and archaic (especially considering that this was a YA book). The addition of the quirky grandmother didn’t help things much, just added one more piece of nonsense to the recipe.

There were points, however, wh...more
Rfrancik
Catherine's best friend is killed in a car accident for which she feels responsible. When her parents are called away to Europe she goes to stay with her Grandmother never suspecting she will become the target of a ghost who is looking for permanent companionship.

This book is perfectly suited to the tween market who are currently obsessed with vampires as seen in the stupendous success of Stepanie Meyer's Twilight. The protagonist, Catherine, is trying to take responsibility for her own decisio...more
The Presence tells the story of Catherine, a teenage girl who is struggling with the tragic death of her best friend. She goes to visit her Grandmother for the holidays, where a ghost in the local church takes an unusual and rather sinister interest in her.

Publisher’s Weekly said that the “crisp writing and questions that remain unanswered till tale’s end will likely keep fans of ghost stories engaged”. If “crisp writing” is a euphemism for “shallow, with little character or plot development”, t...more
Jacob
I read this book because my teacher Ms.Gonzalez made us do a spring break challenge to read a book with green in it or the author is Irish. I read this book also because I love to read interesting stories about ghosts and spirits. Horror is also a reason why I read this book.
I would recommend this book for people who love ghost story's and horror books. This is a classic for people out there looking for a new book to read. The book is great for middle school and up readers with the likings of...more
Xiu Ling
When i first started reading this book, i found it really exciting. But the ending disappointed me. I thought it would be more excited than it is written.
The Presence is a ghost story book that is not scary at all. Inside the church, St. Matthew, there lives a ghost. He is raged, but most of all, he is sad. When he was alive, he was involved in a sin so bad that God did not forgive him after death. Therefore, his punishment is to live forever as a ghost in the basement of St. Matthew.
His lonel...more
Alyssa
Alyssa Morres
Horror

Catherine is visiting her grandma while her parents are on vacation, but recently she was visiting her friend when they got in a car crash and her friend died. She's mourning this when she meet Noah who try to turn get her to become one of his lovers over the centuries. Each person that Noah has been with ends up disappearing or is found dead. Catherine learns about this through Lottie who was one girl who disappeared from Noah. Catherine must do something to stop Noah from ki...more
Kristina Zavala
I checked this book out on a whim. It was on a table at my library with other recently returned books. I thought it looked interesting and since I can't seem to leave the library without checking out another book, I took this one with me. In the end, while the fact that it's short makes it a quick read, it wasn't satisfying at all. There were too many instances where I found the lead character Catherine too unbelievable which is funny to say when a person is reading a ghost story. I've probably...more
Ida Manguerra
This book is about this girl Catherine. She went to visit her grandmother in Pasadena because her parents had to go to an out-of-the-country meeting and her parents couldn't leave her alone by herself because they're afraid that she might do something because she blames herself for the death of her best friend. Kirsty/Kristy. Catherine's grandmother is really religious so she went to the church where her grandmother is usually helping out. In that church, she met this guy named Noah, who told he...more
Samantha
The Presence involved seventeen-year-old Catherine who goes to stay with her grandmother in California while her parents are away on holiday in Europe for Christmas. Now... this girl is terribly depressed. She is responsible for the death of her Scottish pen-pal aka BFF for life, who was visiting the U.S. for the summer. Catherine's grandma works in a church that is haunted by a "presence"--actually the ghost of a teenage boy named Noah. Noah falls in love with mortal girls, all with dark hair a...more
Priyanka Verma
The Presence is a story about a girl named Catherine who lived in Chicago. She had lost her friend in an accident so her parents decided to send her to her grandmother's house for a change. Her grandmother lived in California where she worked in a church. The church was old and had recently been declared a historic site. When Catherine goes to the church, she decides to walk around. While she was in a room, she heard someone call her name. She went to her grandmother and told her about this. She...more
Kerri
After a tragic accident, Catherine Jeffers travels to Pasadena, California, to stay with her grandmother during the Christmas season. Her grandmother works at St. Matthews Church, which happens to be the coldest place in the area. The cold is due to a mysterious presence of a 17 year old boy who died over a hundred years ago. As anyone could imagine, Noah, the ghost, has been a little lonely and has tried unsuccessfully to get a young, beautful girl to come to the other side with him. Catherine...more
Isaac
This book is about a girl that goes to her grandma's house because her parents are out of town until a day after Christmas. She thinks it is her fault that her friend died in a car accident and she has been depressed ever since that happened. Her grandma is always at her church to help. Her grandma doesn't like her to be by herself. The girl's name is Catherine. At the church catherine hers voices in the church and she doesn't know who it is. One day she found out who it was, it was a ghost name...more
Cindy Wang
Sure enough people need an escape from the modern day storyline of love, lust, loss and bravery. This is where "The Presence" comes in. It leaves an essence of extraordinary within the plot and the events that happen make you sympathetic towards the character. And the add of her grandma adds a hint of the ordinary reminding you again that everything is not what it seems. This story leaves it's reader hoping for the best. However there are flaws, throughout the story you don't get a clear sense o...more
Dana
Quick read. Read it this afternoon.

Catherine, blames herself for her friends death. She's been in counseling and is not getting better as all would hope.

She's sent to be with her grandmother in California the week of Christmas and the mystery ensues.

Collin the preacher's son is the love interest if minimum.

The handsome but very diabolical ghost Noah is "the presence". He gives a new meaning to "bad boy".

Without ruining the story many girls have gone missing from the church will Catherine becom...more
Issy
I really loved the storyline of this book - it was mysterious and at times kept you guessing. However I thought the ending was a bit rushed and a bit of a letdown.... it could have had so much more potential if it was less rushed, and things were explained more gradually. Also, the main characters didn't really have the same understanding as you when the book was finally concluded.
I will definitely read more of Eve Bunting's books because I really did enjoy this one... I just wish things didn't...more
Jessica
Eh...short...a little scary, but not terrifying
Alex
I am not easily frightened, so this book wasn't as "scary" as I thought it would be, but it was incredibly creepy. A friend recommended this book to me and I had gotten it from the library, just incase it wasn't good, to the library sticker was covering the summary, so when I started it, I had no idea the ghost was going to be bad, honestly I thought it would be some weird romance between the ghost and Catherine... I could not be more wrong , Anyways, I only gave it three stars because it wasn't...more
Gwen
Catherine, the main character, has been sent to stay with her grandmother while her parents are in Europe. She is struggling with the guilt she's carrying over the death of her friend Kirsty. Knowing that Catherine is suffering and looking for atonement, Noah tries to lure her with the promise of contacting Kirsty. However, Noah is seeking his own atonement and it may cost Catherine her life. The Presence is enjoyable and a quick read. This would be good for the reluctant reader.
Tia
Not terrible, but not great either. I thought the church was a great place for the haunting, although the author didn't use it much. The idea that girl after girl looked alike and all were touched by tragedy was slightly hard to buy. The presence himself was well written. Poor Catherine, she must really be dumb, well if she wasn't, she sure was written that way. I think the author should have done more with Collin and Catherine. A quick read which was perfect for Halloween.
Jenny
Catherine is visiting her grandmother in California for Christmas. Haunted by a car accident in which her best friend Kirsty died, Catherine needed a change of scenery. Her grandmother volunteers at her church, so Catherine goes along to help. There she meets a young man who says he can help her contack Kirsty and relieve her guilt. Catherine has to put clues and stories together to figure out who the young man is and what sinister plans he has for her.
Tonya
This book was interesting... Right away you kind of feel sorry for Catherine, and like Noah (The Presence) but as you get further into the story you realize Noah isn't all that good and wholesome. He has an agenda, and he'll go to any length to get Catherine where he wants her!

At first it was a struggle to want to read it, but then I found myself reading it more intently so I could finish and see the outcome!

A good, quick read!
Kyra
Catharines best friend is killed in accident that she thinks is her fault. When a presence comes to her he says that she can contact him with his help. As Catharine is visiting her grandmother she sets out to find her best friend. How will she find her. I thought that the presence was very cool and scary. In some parts it was thrilling and in some parts it was a lot more calm.
Francesca Hurley
i guesss it was okay. i mean, it was a ghost story, after all. it's just that it didn't seem to have a very good ending. don't get me wrong, it was a good book, and the ending went well with it, but if i wrote it, i guess it would have been a little more...romantic at the end. i don't know. it was a pretty good book, though, and if you like ghost stories, you should read it.
EmilyAnn
A chilling tale about a guilty girl visiting her grandmother in Pasadena for Christmas. But is just her grandmother? Or is there another presence waiting for her?
Suspenseful, bone-chilling, a story for lights on reading, and one of my favorites. This story really captures the evil side of ghosts, the guilt of the past, and the hope for the future. Marvelous!
Kimberly Callegan
This was a pretty chilling book - for being a young adult novel (not a series) it kept me interested and was pretty mature. The Presence, which is a ghost is drawn to a girl in a church that he resides in because she reminds him of his one true love that he acidentally murdered. Does she know what he is and what his true intentions are? *Chills*
4edith0653
This ghost book will keep you wondering what will happen next.It always seems to have things that are unexpected in it.I liked this book because it never gives away what is going to happen next, so if you want to know what happens you have to keep on reading.It really grabs your attintion.If you like ghost stories,you will love this book!
Tiffany
this book was beautifully written ! from the moment i begin reading it , it made me go on nonstop. it's imagery makes you imagine the situation and makes you feel like your in another world. the story is romantic, tragic and beautiful. i recommend this book to anyone who loves ghost stories or romance. ! best book i've read so far.
Crystal Marcela
Feb 22, 2012 Crystal Marcela rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
I read this book cause I got it for my son and he didn't read it. So I was bored and thought sure its small so it will be a quick read. It was a waste of my time. The story is so dumb and I didn't see much of an effort from the author of trying to make the story interesting. I will never read anything from her again.
Marara
It was a really good story. It impacted me and I thought it was an overall good read. I just couldn't put the book down. I was reading it after a math test and the guy behind me read over my shoulder. After I put the book down for a pause he commented "You're reading one crazy book! Shit!"
Abby
There could have been so much more to this. It was simple. No surprises or anything to keep you on your seat. It was just..bland. Boring. It was short so that was a good thing. Then ending was not the best. The characters were not intertwined well together. It was predictable.
  • Beating Heart: A Ghost Story
  • The Fashion Disaster that Changed my Life
  • The Invisible
  • Look for Me by Moonlight
19126
Eve Bunting is an author with more than 250 books. Her books are diverse in age groups, from picture books to chapter books, and topic, ranging from Thanksgiving to riots in Los Angeles. Eve Bunting has won several awards for her works.

Bunting went to school in Ireland and grew up with storytelling. In Ireland, “There used to be Shanachies… the shanachie was a storyteller who went from house to ho...more
More about Eve Bunting...
Smoky Night Fly Away Home The Wall S.O.S. Titanic Flower Garden