Start by marking “On Self-Respect” as Want to Read:
On Self-Respect

On Self-Respect

“Self-respect: Its Source, Its Power" was first published in Vogue in 1961, and which was republished as “On Self-Respect” in the author’s 1968 collection, Slouching Towards Bethlehem.​ Didion wrote the essay as the magazine was going to press, to fill the space left after another writer did not produce a piece on the same subject. She wrote it not to a word count or a ...more
Essay, 2 pages
Published 1968

To ask other readers questions about On Self-Respect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Self-Respect

Matthew
Nov 18, 2015 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: essays-theory
Once, in a dry season, I wrote in large letters across two pages of a notebook that innocence ends when one is stripped of the delusion that one likes oneself. Although now, some years later, I marvel that a mind on the outs with itself should have nonetheless made painstaking record of its every tremor, I recall with embarrassing clarity the flavor of those particular ashes. It was a matter of misplaced self-respect.
I had not been elected to Phi Beta Kappa. This failure could scarcely have been
lisa
Oct 10, 2007 lisa rated it it was amazing
she is creative non-fiction perfection.
Narin
Jul 09, 2016 Narin rated it it was amazing
Yes, it's an essay, not a book. No, I don't care. This is Joan Didion: personal hero, kindred spirit, and literary enigma. Her writing is so precious to me, I almost hesitate to share it. But now I have. So go read On Self-Respect yourself. In fact, go read anything she's written. You won't regret it.
Michelle
May 08, 2015 Michelle marked it as to-read
I must find this book and read it, then give it to my daughter. Didion is a brilliant, accessible writer that should be read by all young girls. This should be a companion piece to Men Explain Things To Me. LMAO.
Tanya Hristova
Sep 28, 2014 Tanya Hristova rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm in awe. Every sentence is just right, every word is in its place, every thought so clear it might have been my own.

"I had somehow thought myself a kind of academic Raskolnikov, curiously exempt from the cause-effect relationships which hampered others." (This has got to be my favorite sentence. Brilliant.)

"I lost the conviction that lights would always turn green for me, the pleasant certainty that those rather passive virtues which had won me approval as a child automatically guaranteed me
Janet
Mar 05, 2016 Janet rated it it was amazing
Every time I read this essay I find more value in Didion's words. Several passages I read and reread because I know there is rare insight there but to grasp the meaning or author's intent requires careful analysis. Other passages open up immediately and I want to shout, "Yes....that's it, that is exactly how it is!".
Dan Swenson
Apr 10, 2014 Dan Swenson rated it really liked it
"To do without self-respect, on the other hand, is to be an unwilling audience of one to an interminable documentary that deals one’s failings, both real and imagined, with fresh footage spliced in for every screening."
Sowmya
Sowmya rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2013
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2012
Jamie
Jamie rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2015
Romana Čačija
Romana Čačija rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2015
Eden
Eden rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2014
victoria carol
victoria carol rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2015
Ward
Ward rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2008
Wioletta Drozd
Wioletta Drozd rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2016
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2007
Melanie
Melanie rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2011
Hbird
Hbird rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2016
Kat
Kat rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2008
Ibrahim
Ibrahim rated it it was ok
Oct 07, 2016
Marlicious
Marlicious rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2012
Wioletta
Wioletta rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2016
Erika
Erika rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2014
felixexplody
felixexplody rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2013
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2009
Daniel Listwa
Daniel Listwa rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2016
Megan Dowd
Megan Dowd rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Challenge: Hamdan v. Rumsfeld and the Fight Over Presidential Power
  • Bellocq: Photographs from Storyville, the Red-Light District of New Orleans
  • The Education of a Photographer
  • One Man's America: The Pleasures and Provocations of Our Singular Nation
  • Doc and Fluff: The Dystopian Tale of a Girl and Her Biker
  • Image Makers, Image Takers: Interviews with Today's Leading Curators, Editors and Photographers
  • Storm Warning: The Story of a Killer Tornado
  • Hostile Takeover: How Big Money and Corruption Conquered Our Government--and How We Take It Back
  • The Joy of Coffee: The Essential Guide to Buying, Brewing, and Enjoying
  • Lessons in Taxidermy: A Compendium of Safety and Danger
  • OCA: Oracle Certified Associate Java SE 8 Programmer I Study Guide: Exam 1Z0-808
  • Shelters, Shacks & Shanties: And How to Build Them
  • The Bounds of Sense: An Essay on Kant's Critique of Pure Reason
  • Diane Arbus: Magazine Work
  • Jumping into C++
  • The Mind Thing
  • Kramers Ergot #7
  • Darger: The Henry Darger Collection at the American Folk Art Museum
Joan Didion was born in California and lives in New York City. She's best known for her novels and her literary journalism.

Her novels and essays explore the disintegration of American morals and cultural chaos, where the overriding theme is individual and social fragmentation. A sense of anxiety or dread permeates much of her work.
More about Joan Didion...

“Character — the willingness to accept responsibility for one's own life — is the source from which self-respect springs.” 427 likes
“Innocence ends when one is stripped of the delusion that one likes oneself.” 202 likes