Start by marking “Gangs: A Journey Into The Heart Of The British Underworld” as Want to Read:
Gangs: A Journey Into The Heart Of The British Underworld

Gangs: A Journey Into The Heart Of The British Underworld

The original Gangland Britain was conceived and written at a time when organised crime in the UK was still in its infancy. Eight years on the picture has changed dramatically. Organised crime is now the country's third biggest industry. The number of gangland murders, shootings and kidnappings, along with the levels of drug trafficking, people smuggling and money launderin ...more
Paperback
Published April 1st 2005 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published July 5th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Gangs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gangs

Paul Gaya Ochieng Simeon Juma
Dec 21, 2016 Paul Gaya Ochieng Simeon Juma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: british, crime
There is just one word to describe this book or should I add another one 'absolutely shocking'! So many things happen in this world. Most of them are considered legal if done by the government or authorised Organisation. However, most of these things have their illegal counterparts run by different mafias around the world.

Armed robbery is popular in almost every country around the globe. Drug trafficking is also picking up in countries around Africa. In yhe rest of the world it is a big busines
Bill
Dec 20, 2013 Bill rated it really liked it
Tony Thompson, as Crime Correspondent for the Observer, paints a horrendous picture of International Gang Crime, having placed himself in personal danger interviewing many hardened criminals to get the facts.

Published in 2004, the book covers topics involving Armed Robbery, Drugs (including the growing trend in synthetics), Hi-tech Crime, Bikers, Money Laundering, People Smuggling, Gun Culture and Kidnap – all involving extreme violence.

While most readers will be aware of these topics from med
Fahad
Mar 04, 2013 Fahad rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books
Powerful book! I delved straight into it. definitely a page turner and i loved how each chapter was a story in itself. I have to commend Tony Thompson for his amazing true-crime insights and awesome presentation.
Mary
Aug 25, 2007 Mary rated it really liked it
It's hard to believe that, when reading this book, these events are happening in the same world. Impossibly tragic and often unbelievable. I bought my copy in the UK and have never seen a copy in any bookstores here...but if you can find it, read it.
Alex
Jul 16, 2010 Alex rated it it was amazing
This is a great book and I've lent it to quite a few people who have all told me they really enjoyed it. Thompson certainly is not afraid to get his hands dirty in the name of journalism and he gets some real insight into the unsavory organizations he is investigating.
Graham Smith
Jul 07, 2011 Graham Smith rated it it was amazing
a fascinating look into british gangs and crime
Dana
Jul 31, 2007 Dana rated it it was amazing
these lads keep it hella gangsta
chris
Jul 27, 2008 chris rated it it was amazing
a very real book with good perspective. certainly an eye opener
Lydia St Giles
There’s a new shelf on my Goodreads page - Reference Books for Writers. This book is the first to appear there. You don’t have to be a writer of detective stories to need information about criminal behaviour. A novel set in a gated community in Surrey might feature a fraud; a romantic novel could centre on a naive young woman who is tricked into carrying drugs in her luggage.
The book offers interviews with (unnamed) major criminals and details of astonishing lifestyles. The writer, a crime corr
Mandy
Jul 27, 2008 Mandy rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely phenomenal. It reads like the Sunday papers, but you won't put these papers down until you've finished. In Gangs, Thompson takes the reader through a fascinating journey of Britain's underworld. There are chapters on armed robbery, human trafficking, kidnapping, drugs syndicates, money laundering, gun running and more. The most incredible thing is that this is investigative journalism at it's best. It's not some toff sitting behind his desk and speculating. Thompson actua ...more
Steven E
Dec 26, 2009 Steven E rated it it was ok
A superficial look at the various sectors of Britain's underground economy--robbery, kidnap, drugs, etc. Thomson is a good writer and an excellent journalist but he has his fingers in too many pies here. Each section follows a pattern: Thomson interviews an unsavory character before regurgitating usage statistics (invariably on the rise) and providing a few quick anecdotes.

It's a breezy read but don't expect to gain anything from it. Each chapter can be read in 10-20 minutes, and is as ephemera
Aeris
Aug 18, 2015 Aeris rated it it was amazing
Having recently binge-watched "Peaky Blinders", I found myself looking for literature on British gangs and underworld characters. Granted, this book was not exactly what I had in mind - I was actually looking for something a bit more historic. Luckily, I soon discovered "Gangs" to be an absolute gem! If ever a book deserved the title page-turner, this is it. It may make you a little scared to step back out onto the streets, but makes up for it with brilliant writing, in-depth research and a weal ...more
Karizma
Jul 07, 2012 Karizma rated it it was amazing
From the moment I picked this book up, I couldn't put it down. I'd go to bed in the evening and be forced to stop reading by my alarm clock going off. This book gives a walkthrough of the underworld like no other. The feelings, sights and smells are all there for the taking, without the chance of taking one in the back. I've never done crack cocaine, but I do know how it feels!
I've read this book three times along with Tony's other novels and I must say; Nothing Compares.
Tom
May 28, 2012 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-shelves
This was a fascinating read. Usually you hear and read about crime from such a high level that it seems to be almost fiction. But this thoroughly engaging account makes it all very real and very scary. To read about gangs and crime from this close is almost surreal. I just can't believe some of the stuff that goes on. And Mr Thompson puts himself right in the middle of it at times. Highly recommended.
Kira
May 08, 2008 Kira rated it did not like it
Terrible.
Johnny Bolton
Jan 17, 2014 Johnny Bolton rated it really liked it
Couldn't put it down
Paulius
Oct 31, 2011 Paulius rated it liked it
Lacking of deeper analysis. This book is more like a big newspaper with only one section, crimes.

I was a bit surprised that Lithuania (where I was born and still live) is mentioned.
Nikhil Solanki
Nov 01, 2010 Nikhil Solanki rated it liked it
Just finished reading this, a good insight into the gang culture in the UK. Needed a bit more depth into some of the serious issues.
Tramell
Tramell rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2012
Asa Hope
Asa Hope rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2014
Martin
Martin rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2012
Andrew Black
Andrew Black rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2016
jenya Teplitskaya
jenya Teplitskaya rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2015
Jimmy Gill
Jimmy Gill rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2015
William
William rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2012
Dan Lloyd
Dan Lloyd rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2013
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2009
Alex P
Alex P rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2015
Berkay Güres
Berkay Güres rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2011
Luke
Luke rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Al Capone: Chicago's King of Crime
  • The Bundy Murders: A Comprehensive History
  • Hunting Humans: An Encyclopedia of Modern Serial Killers
  • Shakedown: How Our Government is Undermining Democracy in the Name of Human Rights
  • The Ultimate Weight Solution Food Guide
  • Web Of Deceit: Britain's Real Foreign Policy
  • Spoken Here: Travels Among Threatened Languages
  • House of Stone: The True Story of a Family Divided in War-Torn Zimbabwe
  • Dinner With Mugabe: The Untold Story Of A Freedom Fighter Who Became A Tyrant
  • Season of Blood: A Rwandan Journey
  • Dishwasher: One Man's Quest to Wash Dishes in All Fifty States
  • The Serbs: History, Myth and the Destruction of Yugoslavia (Yale Nota Bene)
  • The Return of The Economic Naturalist: How Economics Helps Make Sense of Your World
  • Sleeper Cell