Start by marking “What It Takes: Speak Up, Step Up, Move Up: A Modern Woman's Guide to Success in Business” as Want to Read:

Amy Henry, a formidable businesswoman and the last woman standing on NBC's hit reality show The Apprentice, shares her experiences, tips, and in-your-face advice for moving up in today's workplace. Yes, men have written the rules for a long time---in What It Takes, Amy Henry shows young businesswomen how to make those rules work for them.

With a ten-year career in business,
Published September 1st 2004 by St. Martin's Press (first published August 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about What It Takes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What It Takes

Becky Cheung
Aug 13, 2013 Becky Cheung rated it it was ok
Okay, I have to admit that I am a fan of The Apprentice by Donald Trump. Now, the national star from The Apprentice shares her experiences, skills, and in-your-face advice for moving up in today's workplace and I pick the book up out of curiosity.

As she comes from the mostly in male-dominated industries, she shares what she has learned how women can succeed by using the strategies men use every day in businesses.

Overall, I think this book have a bit of a cheer-leading effect on me -- all of us
Rae Borman
Apr 07, 2015 Rae Borman rated it it was ok
I liked how brassy Amy's perspective is. She cuts to the quick and has a fresh voice. That said, it wasn't exceptionally memorable.
Rebecca
Feb 05, 2008 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: memoirs-and-bios, own
I got a signed copy after I heard her speak at a businesswomen's dinner -- it was interesting, and she has a few good mantra-like phrases to incorporate into your 'business-think'. She has plenty of personal business experiences, all with the appropriate lesson attached, and some were truly instructive. Some plain eye-opening (especially for a man who thinks that women aren't really being held down in business!) While I appreciate her drive and ability to triumph in some situations, I walked awa ...more
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 Lori Grant rated it liked it
An optional-read book on career management and development.
Julas
Julas rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2016
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Tiz
Tiz marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Ayanna
Ayanna marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Stanley Lee
Stanley Lee marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Diane
Diane added it
Mar 04, 2016
Ellen
Ellen rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Sabrina Gong
Sabrina Gong is currently reading it
Jan 26, 2016
Cherie
Cherie marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Julie Bray
Julie Bray rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2015
Jessi Smith
Jessi Smith rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Keith Beck
Keith Beck marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Sarah rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2015
Shernell
Shernell marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Jeanette
Jeanette marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Vidhi
Vidhi marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Soki
Soki marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Ion
Ion marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Karen Knoke
Karen Knoke rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2014
SΛŁO
SΛŁO marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014