The Snow Spider Trilogy

The Snow Spider Trilogy (Snow Spider Trilogy #1-3)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  361 ratings  ·  24 reviews
On his ninth birthday, Gwyn is given a brooch and told to cast it into the wind. Later he discovers the wind has sent something back: the snow spider. So begins Gwyn's journey as a magician. Against the shimmering backdrop of a magical domed city, Gwyn has to battle evil and heal a fractured family. A spine-tingling trilogy of stories, full of magic and power.
Published 2003 by Egmont (first published September 13th 1993)

Midnight for Charlie Bone by Jenny NimmoCharlie Bone and the Time Twister by Jenny NimmoCharlie Bone and the Invisible Boy by Jenny NimmoCharlie Bone and the Castle of Mirrors by Jenny NimmoCharlie Bone and the Hidden King by Jenny Nimmo
Best Fantasy Books by Jenny Nimmo
15th out of 16 books — 1 voter
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsNever Been to Mars by Larry GentBluenose Paradox by Larry GentNeverwhere by Neil GaimanAmerican Gods by Neil Gaiman
Must Reads For Hal-Con Fans
46th out of 67 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Jo
“Time to find out if you are a magician, Gwydion Gwyn.”

This book. This book.
I always wondered when I read reviews that start with “This book”… I mean, what does that even mean?
This book….what?
Now I understand.
Because, guys, this book.

I first read this book (I don’t really need italics do I? You get it. I love this book) when I was eight. I found it in our ‘library’ (we don’t really have a library by the way, we had a book shelf that we called the library) and I was intrigued instantaneously.
OK,...more
Zenninja
I feel I must defend my 3-starating as i did not find this book as fantastic as some others that i have also given 3 stars. However, this is due more to the target audience of the book (people much younger than myself) and not the quality of it.

This is a fantastic as a children's book, but it is one of the children's books that while it may be enjoyed by adults, is somewhat less enjoyable to them as I can perceive it would be to children due to the realistic (sometimes illogical) childishness wh...more
Vanessa
Gwyn ist ein Nachfahre mächtiger Zauberer. Er lebt mit seiner Familie in Wales, inmitten der Natur. Zusammen mit seinen Freunden erlebt er zahlreiche Abenteuer, findet seine verlorene Schwester wieder und bekämpft einen rachsüchtigen Prinzen.

Wieder einmal hat Nimmo es geschafft mich voll und ganz in ihren Bann zu ziehen. Was Gwyn und seine Freunde im wunderschönen Wales erleben ist spannend und fesselte mich von der ersten bis zur letzten Seite auf meinem Stuhl.

Jenny Nimmo hat für den ersten B...more
Sparrow F. Alden
Just *delightful!* Characters who grow, adults who don't abandon the children, complex threads of story tightly woven, magic which responds to prayer and intention. Beautiful ancient legends as the foundation. I recommend for ages 11+
I am particularly thrilled with the way that two different mental/emotional challenges were handled: respectfully and without sensationalism (post-partum depression and post-combat PTSD). Healing, forgiveness, magic, patience, time... these illnesses also weren't th...more
Dark-Draco
Well, this trilogy has lost none of its magic and even as an adult, I was captivated by the stories.

THE SNOW SPIDER
It's Gwyn Griffiths' birthday, but celebrations are frowned on, as it is also the anniversary of his sister's disappearance on the mountains above his house. His grandmother gives him five presents - a yellow scarf, a piece of dried seaweed, a tin whistle, a broken toy horse and a twisted metal brooch. She believes that he might be a magician, inheriting his powers from ancesters lo...more
Katrina Southern
I read this book quite a while ago, but I remember being absolutely enchanted by it! It tells the story of a young boy named Gwyn, who is descended from Magicians. When his Grandmother gives him five strange gifts, their uses are gradually revealed and he finds himself closer to tapping into his own magical powers, and solving the mystery of his sister's disappearance four years ago. It is a charmingly written book with an interesting story-line. Well worth a read.
Jess Webster
I remember reading these books in either year 6 or 7 at school and absolutely adoring them. Nimmo is a master of lush descriptions that make you want to close your eyes and just BE in the scenes. I feel she also captures pretty well how kids think and interact; the characters behave in the books as you might expect kids to behave in real life, which I think is sometimes a limitation of other books with child protagonists. It's all well and good to come up with a protagonist with 'maturity beyond...more
Deirdre
On his ninth birthday Gwyn is given a brooch, a scarf, a piece of seaweed, a tin whistle and a small broken horse by his grandmother and told to give them to the wind. The first thing he gives to the wind is the brooch which comes back as the snow spider and suddenly magic is in his life, real and with consequences and responsibilities. The trilogy covers from his ninth to his thirteenth birthday and a variety of adventures all of whom require him to employ his wits and to embrace the magician w...more
Fantasy Literature
The Magician Trilogy by Jenny Nimmo are some of the best children's fantasy novels out there — and so inevitably they are virtually unknown. Set in the mountains of Wales, the books chronicle the experiences of Gwyn Griffith, a young boy magician dealing with the gift and burden of inheriting magical powers from his legendary ancestors. Before immediate comparisons are made with that other boy-wizard, rest assured that The Snow Spider was published several years before Harry Potter hit the scene...more
Traceryw
As a teacher...loved this trilogy. Welsh mythology was fascinating...great archetypes.
Afruza
It was really nice. I like it.
Rebecca
I have fond memories of this book. It enchanted me, and got me interested in Welsh myths and legends, which in turn have spurred my desire to visit the country. I loved reading the foreign Gaelic names. I remember it being a quiet book, with moments that created more unease in me than most thrillers. I still recall writing a book report on this, and drawing the cover of the report with a silver Sharpie marker on black construction paper, which was oddly satisfying.

This definitely warrants anothe...more
Maeve
Aug 13, 2007 Maeve rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Celtic mythology/fairytales
A sort of mystical coming of age trilogy set in Wales. In the Snow Spider, a teenage boy comes of age to realise an ancient power being channeled through himself and tries to discover what happened to his older sister who disappeared during the night several years ago. The trilogy continues tracing the fortunes of neighbours, friends and family and an ancient power, sometimes benevolent and sometimes evil as it resurfaces
Maxine
Way too young for me, although the writing was very good. I got kind of bored and didn't want to be bothered reading the whole lot, but did it anyway as I'd bought the trilogy. The magic could be more magical, although I understand Gwyn is a different type of magician. Lovely to read something set in Wales that refers to Welsh history.
Kim
"The magicians, boy! They lived here, in these mountains, maybe a thousand years ago, and they could do anything they wanted, turn men into eagles and soldiers into dust; they could make dreams come true, and so perhaps can you!"

Really fun play off of some native folktales of the British isles.
Lilly
Its a childs book, make no mistake about that, but the magic and Lore that it contains has stayed with me all through my life.
It was on BBC Wales some time ago as a film and tv series and they kept very close to the book, its a magical read that stays with you.
Zanthie * ♫ The Music Freak ♪ *
Hmm, well these books are quite unusual. They're also nice to read, and the stories engage the reader. They are quirky and rather amusing, but they are sinsiter at times.
-Zanthie ;)
Mychael-Ann
The kids loved these books. I thought they were fun, I don't think I would have enjoyed reading them but listening was enjoyable. I liked the reader's Scottish accent.
Courtney
Jan 26, 2011 Courtney rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: I would recommend this book to anyone who likes magic.
Recommended to Courtney by: I'm not sure
I have finished it and it is an entertaining book and it has a very good ending though it still leaves a mysterious feeling of "what's going to happen now?"
Rebekkila
Oct 29, 2012 Rebekkila marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Shell
Loved these when I was younger. Just as intriguing as an adult. Surprised how much I had forgotten about the stories - especially the last 2
Nicole
In the mood for another good supernatural/magic book... and this fit the bill perfectly.
Fiona Stevens
Jenny is an awesome author she paints pictures with her words, I love "magic" stories
ISBerne
Winner of the Smarties Grand Prix
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Bry
Bry added it
Jul 04, 2014
Natsu
Natsu marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
  • Gauge (The Dragons of Wayward Crescent, #2)
  • Jasmine Skies
  • Ordinary Jack (The Bagthorpe Saga, #1)
  • The Worst Witch All at Sea (Worst Witch, #4)
  • Gate Of Days (The Book Of Time #2)
  • Goggle-Eyes
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: A Graphic Novel
  • Saving Daisy
  • All Fall Down
  • The Knife That Killed Me
  • Naked
  • The Peppermint Pig
  • Please Mrs Butler
  • Quirky Tails (Uncollected)
  • The Haunting (Puffin Books)
  • The Indian In The Cupboard Trilogy
  • Witch Wood
  • Incompetence
Jenny Nimmo was born in Windsor, Berkshire, England and educated at boarding schools in Kent and Surrey from the age of six until the age of sixteen, when she ran away from school to become a drama student/assistant stage manager with Theater South East. She graduated and acted in repertory theater in various towns and cities: Eastbourne, Tunbridge Wells, Brighton, Hastings, and Bexhill.

She left...more
More about Jenny Nimmo...
Midnight for Charlie Bone (The Children of the Red King, #1) Charlie Bone and the Castle of Mirrors (The Children of the Red King, #4) Charlie Bone and the Hidden King (The Children of the Red King, #5) Charlie Bone and the Invisible Boy (The Children of the Red King, #3) Charlie Bone and the Time Twister (The Children of the Red King, #2)