Highland Conqueror

Highland Conqueror (Murray Family #10)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  1,862 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Bestselling author Hannah Howell captures the breathless danger and desire of the Highlands in this exciting tale of a fierce Scotsman who lays siege to the heart of a proud English beauty...

Lady Jolene Gerard is running out of time--each moment she remains within the walls of Drumwich Castle she is in jeopardy. Her only chance lies with a prisoner chained to the dungeon w

Published (first published March 1st 2005)

Dina
Oct 18, 2009 Dina rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dina by: Elaine
This is another book that my sister had "pestered" me to read for ages until I finally caved about 2 years ago. I didn't remember much about it anymore, which meant that I neither loved or hated it, so I decided to reread it this weekend and see whether I should become a Hannah Howell fan like my sister...

Sigimor Cameron, a Highland Laird, goes to England to help Peter Gerard, an Englishman who saved his life years ago. But when Sigimor and his clansmen arrive at Drumwich Castle, it's too late:...more
Gina
It was a great first book to Howell's 'Camerons' series.

Jolene, no matter how petite and delicate she looked, she gave back as good as she got - and then some. The more I read, the more proud of her I became. She made tough decisions, decisions I would never want to make. She had a backbone, didn't take crap from anyone, stood up for herself and listened to her common sense when arguing wouldn't solve anything. She is a female character one can admire without feeling guilty.

And Sigimor... (sigh)...more
Kathrynn
This was a great book and begins a set (that does not need to be read in order) with the Cameron family. This is Sigimor's (the oldest) tale. He's been "in charge" of the massive family for years. He's a crazy Scot! Hunter, predator, but down to earth.

There are many books that follow this with other members of the Cameron family and Sigimor appears in and out of them. He's still a riot!

Funny!

Cruth
"Ye are fortunate, wife. Your body's gates of innocence werenae locked verra tightly." p.126, loc.1675

Author: Hannah Howell
First published: 2005
Length: 352 pages, 4612 locations
Setting: Scotland, 1473.
Sex: explicit and more descriptive than previous books. First time post marriage.
Heroine: "a small woman, lacking in the full curves men seemed to desire." p.132, loc.1741
Series: Book 10 of Howell's Murray series. Book 1 of Cameron family sub-series (although sister Isla had her story told in "High
Sara Mitchell
I've been looking forward to sigimor cameron's story. Sigimor Cameron receives a message from his English friend Peter Gerard for help. Since Sigimor owes Peter his life he makes his way to London only to imprisoned by Peter's evil cousin. Jolene Gerard has been hiding out in fear with her nephew ever since her house killed her brother Peter. She goes to the dungeons to free Sigimor and enlist his help in escaping. Jolene and Sigimor then journey back to Scotland with a ruthless killer chasing t...more
Julie
Miss Howell did it again! Such a magnificently told tale of Cameron adventure and romance. Don't miss it! Your heart won't be sorry. ; - )
Joy
This is the first Hannah Howell book I've read and I didn't expect much. All I know is she has this Highland series and this book is the 10th. Her novels are stand-alone and characters may recur but the stories aren't intertwined as she mentioned in her website.

It was a light read with a decent plot, characters were well constructed and they gradually developed. I only gave it a four because I wasn't really riveted with the suspense, the hero and heroine running away from the antagonist, but sin...more
Chandra
Oct 16, 2011 Chandra rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chandra by: chandragay01@gmail.com
***BE ADVISED: I am a Hannah Howell fan de la ultimate. My opinion might be a tab bit one-sided.***

AUTHOR: Historical Romance author. Series is ongoing. Hannah Howell connects characters from one book to the other very smoothly

SYNOPSIS –
How dare he be a clan leader rescuing a Sassenach; bringing her from England into Scotland for protection. But okay, her cousin has killed her brother and wants to get it on with her. She is a threat and so is her brother's heir. Now READ!!!

(5 out of 5) Stars. El...more
Elle
OK, I'm rating many books in this series at 4, because I think they're above average, but they don't rank among my all-time favorites. That said, this one is probably my favorite so far in this series, entirely because of the hero, Sigimor Cameron. This is a guy who does not take life, or himself, too seriously. I've known and loved people like this guy, who love to poke you when you're down, just to make you mad instead of sad. LOL.

So here's the basic story: Sigimor and his companions rush to...more
Kaylyn
~4.5 Stars~
Lady Jolene is a great heroine. She isn’t used to roughing it but doesn’t complain. She just puts on her big girl panties and deals with it all. I loved how selfless she is because she was willing to sacrifice love for her nephew. She is a tiny little thing but has no problem going toe to toe with Sigimor.

Sigimor is a very loyal man. He cares for his family deeply no matter how close they are related to him. While he didn’t have much of a choice to help Jolene, he went above and beyon...more
Staci
Another Howell romance in the Murray family series that doesn't actually involve a Murray. In fact, I don't think you even see a Murray in the book. Gillyanne might be mentioned a couple of times but the closest you get to her is Fiona and Nanty. This novel tells the story of Sigimor, Ewan's cousin and Ilsa's brother (and Liam and Gregor's cousin but their stories are told in novels that take place after this one). Howell once again brings up the woman from the past to make the female protagonis...more
K
Jun 12, 2012 K rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of historical romance/series
Recommended to K by: fan of series
As I have liked the other books in the series, I was looking forward to reading this one. Especially to see where the author would go next. And although I liked it and found it an enjoyable read, it was only okay for me; and I did not think it was as good as some of the other books I have read in the series. Don't get me wrong, I loved Sigimor's character in the previous book, and was happy to see him get his HEA. I also loved the independence of the heroine. However, it was just missing somethi...more
June
Sir Sigimor Cameron the oldest of 14 boys and 1 girl. I have really enjoyed Hannah Howells Highlander series and it doesn't matter what order you read them in. Just read them as they interest you.

Jolene rescues Sigimor and several of his men from a dungeon in a castle in England. Jolene is an English lass, small in stature with fair skin and dark hair. Sigimor has always been attractive to more buxom and tall women. He is well over 6 feet, but he soon learns he desires this pretty English rose,...more
Tarha
Found this book in the library. I didn't realize that this book is part of a 19-book series but I really enjoyed the book anyway. The family tree is a little confusing for me since I haven't read any of the other books yet. Jolene and Sigimor are great characters but not as developed as I would like. I felt myself wanting to know more about the characters. With that being said, I really enjoyed the plot line in this book. The chase between Jolene/Sigimor and Harold kept things interesting and th...more
Bridget
I enjoy these books but they are eminently forgettable. After reading them, I don't remember the book. Howell has one formula plot and varies it enough to be worth reading, but not worth reading twice. In this one, Jolene is hiding in her own home fortress with her toddler nephew, after a relative poisoned the boy's father and attempted to take over the keep. Before his death, Jolene's brother asked the Cameron's for help but they arrived too late and were imprisoned in the dungeon.

Jolene frees...more
L8blmr
This was my first Hannah Howell book and I was looking forward to saying I would be a fan ... until I was about 60 pages from the end, that is. I enjoyed the story, the characters and the lack of plot devices that I cannot stand, but I almost forgot all of those good points as I slogged through the final pages, wondering why the author didn't end it soon after what was clearly the climactic scene.

I hope this isn't a pattern; I will give another book or two of hers a chance before deciding whethe...more
Delia
I stumbled across this book at the library and thought I'd give it a try. I haven't read any of Hannah Howell's books before so this was my first glimpse into her world and characters. Although I liked Jolene and could see where she was coming from, both her character and Sigimor's bothered me. I guess I was wanting more from each of them. I wanted their character's to be better developed.
Regardless the story was cute and the ending nice. It was a good book for a fast read.
Tali_KL
Loved it. Another great book of character new and old. Half way down with this series which makes me sad as I don't want it to end on the other hand I can't wait to start the next book.
TJ
I'm slowly working my way through the entire Murray family series and this is, so far, one of my favorites. Although it has the same basic plot as the others, it is nice for a change to have the hero claim to be honorable when faced with a well-bred English lady, then actually follow through with that claim by waiting until he marries her to bed her. The scenes are still as steamy - just more believable and true to the characters.
Scooper Speaks
Reminds me a bit of Julie Garwood's Highland Splendour as far as Englishwoman saves Scotsman who is inexplicably drawn to heroine. But it's like many other Hannah Howell books in that the hero has a huge family, the hero is most definitely an alpha and the heroine is an innocent dove capable of bringing the hero to his knees. Not bad when read alone, but when read soon after reading other Howell books feels repetitive.
Michelle
From the very beginning of this story I was absolutely captivated. We start of with a prison break and the action never stops. Another interesting aspect to this book are the relationships between the English and the Scots. Not many of Howell's books have them mix quite so nice. The character development was great and the story kept me turning the pages. A really great read.
Jo R. Lee
I have read three Hannah Howell books and this is my favourite so far. (Perhaps my being English like Jolene has something to do with it...)
I really enjoyed the chase, trying to get away from Harold and back to Sigimour's castle. And the kid is sweet too. But poor Jolene, being pointed out as being a 'Sassanach' by every new Scottish person she meets!
Danielle G
I really like this series and I liked this book but I did not love it. I found myself reading other books in between because I got a little bored here and there. The characters were likeable but they were missing the fire that sucks you in and makes you keep reading. Realistically I would probably give it a 2.5 but the series is a 4.
CriCra CriCra
Mi potete regalare un Highlander ... grazie??? ^_^

aaahhh!! ( sospiro ) adoro tutto ciò che è dannatamente "" Scozzese "".

Questo primo capitolo, mi è piaciuto molto di più, rispetto al terzo ... lo so!!Di solito si dovrebbe leggere dal primo all'ultimo, ma che ci volete fare? ^_^
Come sarà il secondo?? ...
Jill
I was really disappointed in this one. Sigimor was such an interesting, quirky supporting character in the previous two novels that I was really excited to read the one about him. I thought his character was not developed as well as it could have been and his counterpart, Jolene, was kind of the same.
Robin
First book by Ms Howell, not sure if I care much for her writing. The Scottish brogue was more awkward than other Highland authors I've read, although the storyline was good, and entertaining. I liked both H/h, and did get the ending I hoped for so will probably give her books one more try
Shauni
I read all of Ms Howell's books Back to Back to Back.. while this is a fun series I seriously do not recommend anyone doing so. The plots tend to be repetitious and run together. If you want to enjoy the Murray Clan, take your time.. there is much to enjoy just one at a time.
  • Highland Outlaw (Campbell Trilogy, #2)
  • The Angel and the Highlander (Sinclare Brothers, #3)
  • The Highlander's Bride (McTiernay Brothers, #1)
  • The Hellion and the Highlander (Devil of the Highlands, #3)
  • Claiming the Highlander (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #2)
  • Highland Dragon
  • A Highlander's Temptation (MacKenzie, #7)
  • The Scotsman
Hannah Dustin Howell is a best-selling American author of over 40 historical romance novels. Many of her novels are set in medieval Scotland. She also writes under the names Sarah Dustin, Sandra Dustin, and Anna Jennet (see below).

She has also used the following pseudonyms:
Anna Jennet, Sarah Dustin and Sandra Dustin
More about Hannah Howell...
Highland Destiny (Murray Family, #1) The Eternal Highlander (MacNachton Vampires #1) My Immortal Highlander (MacNachton Vampires, #3) Highland Bride (Murray Family, #6) (MacEnroys, #1) Highland Knight  (Murray Family, #5)