Start by marking “Katy and the Big Snow board book” as Want to Read:
Katy and the Big Snow board book

Katy and the Big Snow board book

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  9,562 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
Board Book, 38 pages
Published September 13th 2010 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Katy and the Big Snow board book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Katy and the Big Snow board book

Apr 07, 2009 Chak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid
I think Virginia Lee Burton is wonderful. Long-winded, but wonderful. I like the ridiculous level of illustration detail in this book (the map of the town is really out-of-control detailed and the story of the humanized snow plow that just keeps going even though she's tired and she doesn't think she can do it. File this under "I think I can" books. Ages 4-7.
Mar 05, 2008 K8teebug rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the only things I've ever found with Katy spelled with a "y". Who cares if I'm a snow plow? I'm a snow plow who saves the day!
Oct 18, 2015 Josiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What a gift Virginia Lee Burton was to the world. Her warm, sincere, hopeful style of writing, even as the characters in her stories come upon hard times and their eventual success is anything but guaranteed, is like nothing else I've ever read. Virginia Lee Burton's characters are long-suffering and gentle, enthusiastic and generous, and in Katy and the Big Snow, we are introduced to an unforgettably doughty protagonist willing to put everything she has on the line to help friends in need. If ...more
Jan 30, 2009 Mindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
We read this as a part of our "Five in a Row" curriculum and my six year old found it very boring. The four-year-old (at the time) twins really enjoyed it. The illustrations are engaging because Burton places detailed drawings and captions in the margins of the book. There is also an interesting map in the center of the book which contains a key along the margins and many numbers in the map to match up with the key. This book would go well with a map unit for younger children. All in all, the st ...more
Mar 12, 2016 Relyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: It's a childhood favorite.
Oh, I am so glad to have reread this book. I hadn't read it in years and it was wonderful. The maps were wonderful and so engaging. The details would appeal to boys and girls. The story is simple and easily accessible. But, the best part about this book is the plans I have for it. I can't wait to use it to teach a few writing mini-lessons. Her use of word placement on the page and in conjunction with pictures will be a great example to my own little book-makers. Can't wait!
Dec 07, 2013 Kristy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books, seasonal
This is my favorite so far by Virginia Burton. If you love her, you'll love this book. Katy gets a whole town out of trouble by plowing in all directions in Geoppolis. No one but Katy is strong enough to do it, and she keeps going until every bit is done. I love these illustrations - just imagine what the page looks like that shows the town under a huge snowfall. It's fun.
Nov 08, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
By the author of one of our favorite books, Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel! Wanted to try another Burton and she didn't disappoint. My kids loved it. A little lesson about maps and directions with a compass rose and a map of the town. A great social studies lesson as well. All my kids loved this one.
Mar 13, 2012 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for kids. Story keeps them interested and teaches a great lesson about helping others even when the situation is hard. The illustrations are also very good with lots of "stuff" for the young person to look at.
Nov 03, 2010 Tiffany rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, children-s
Just okay for me, but my little boy loved reading about the snow plow (Katy) that saves the day. The best part is the illustrations, including a full map of the city where you can track Katy's route through the city as she helps out.
Feb 01, 2011 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favoret book of all times. I read it as a kid and I have read it many a time to my daughter.
Katie Daniels
This book is about meeeee!
Everyone in the family loves this book.
Betsy Tibe
Still a great winter book for kindergarten and first grade even though it was written 70 years ago!
Mar 21, 2011 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a classic Kid's book. I wish I lived in the city of Geopolis.
Jun 24, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book for a grandmother to read with a two year old grandson who loves to snuggle.
Jan 29, 2010 Dwight rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would have loved this book as a kid. So much better than Mike Mulligan and his Steam shovel.
Mar 28, 2014 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: "Katy, a brave and untiring tractor, who pushes a bulldozer in the summer and a snowplow in the winter, makes it possible for the townspeople to do their jobs.
In 2009, we are celebrating the 100th anniversary of Virginia Lee Burton's birth. As part of this celebration a glitter-cover edition of Katy and the Big Snow, complete with snowy stickers, has been created. In this enduring winter favorite from the Caldecott Medal winner Burton, Katy the snowplow finally gets her chance to shine
Tim Vandenberg
Nov 26, 2014 Tim Vandenberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seventy-One Years Ago! [At the time of this writing.] I just cannot believe that this amazing picture book was created in 1943, over seven DECADES ago!

"Katy and the Big Snow" is an often overlooked precursor to the hyper-detailed pictures books of the 1980's, such as the "Where's Waldo" series and the "How Things Work" books, etc.

Virginia Lee Burton does an AMAZING job creating the little town of Geoppolis (which she admits is based on Glaucester, MA) with an exquisitely laid out city map, all o
Jenn M
Aug 23, 2013 Jenn M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Katy and the Big Snow is classic children's literature. I remember reading it at a child, and now my children have read it. In fact, my daughter's kindergarten read and studied it as part of the school's "Five-in-a-Row" curriculum, enjoying the book's story, as well as other elements (mechanical devices that help people do work, seasons, changes in condition due to aging).

These "classic" award-winning children's books and children's authors are always enjoyable to read...and read again, over and
Jackie B. Forman
I should know by now that Virginia Lee Burton has magnificent stories. I've been reading a lot of picture books lately. I am reading Caldecott winners (because duh) and I'm reading the complete works of Virginia Lee Burton. I think that this is my new favorite book of hers.

Burton's illustrations really make the book. The story is simple, and very similar to Mike Milligan (another Burton book). However, unlike Mike Milligan, this book was very engrossing to me. The borders of each page add to th
Jan 23, 2015 Betsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed first at Redeemed Reader

Only Virginia Lee Burton could craft as lovable a tractor-pushing-snowplow as Katy. Although she pushes a bulldozer in the summer, the focus of the book is on Katy’s untiring hard work on behalf of the town of Geopolis during a winter snowstorm. Given the intense snow we’ve already seen this winter, new readers will appreciate Katy’s effort anew. Burton fills the pages with so many interesting elements: a crash course in orienteering and using a compass, informat
Joel  Werley
Sep 08, 2014 Joel Werley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm avoiding putting children's books into my "Read books" (because anything that can be read in 10 minutes shouldn't count towards my grand total in my mind, as if anyone else is checking my stats...), despite the memories of those books being as essential as any literature I've read in my adult years.

However, I've decided that my 3 favorite picture books (excepting obvious classics like "Where the Wild Things Are" that don't need any further recommendations) from my tyke days are too worthy t
Sep 26, 2013 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-library
This book is so great! It was recently brought to my attention that most kids' books are written about boys/male characters, so I picked this up at the library in my search for picture books about females (the ones that do exist seem to all be about dresses for some reason, so it was tough).

Aside from all that, this book is cool because it has detailed pictures, a map showing the city, and little pictures showing all the things Katy can do and all the places in the city.

Melanie has requested th
Jun 08, 2013 Sherri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel, A Little House, and now Katy and the Big Snow...I love Virginia Burton's books. They tug at something inside that makes me feel like a kid again and sometimes draw a tear. The illustrations never fail to enchant me. Some pictures in this book have borders lined with a variety of Katy's jobs or the vehicles used by the Highway Department. These are especially nice for little ones that can't read yet. The town map is also a great way to interact with a child; th ...more
Margaret Chind
Jun 04, 2014 Margaret Chind rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Sonlight P3/4
We read this one within our "Mike Mulligan and More" Storybook Treasury, although I wouldn't mind adding the individual book to our shelf someday. Katy is a very neat read. First recommended to me through P3/4 and then again through AOY0 we've read this one time and again. We've read it anytime of year, but it's best in the winter, when we have just a dusting of snow. Here the girls get to see the excitement and possibility (imagination!) of how life could be if we lived somewhere with lots of s ...more
Sep 20, 2013 Caitlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd give a 3 to the story, but the pictures are so fun. Basically anything that has illustrated maps in it will receive 5 stars from me in terms of illustrations, and the detail in these are marvelous.

When I read this to my 2 year old, he didn't want me to turn the pages after reading them, because he was still taking in the pictures. Anything that can keep this kid's attention like that is pretty miraculous. (On that note, I recommend Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11)

And I'm also happy that i
Karen Dransfield
A lovely story about Katy who is a bulldozer in the fine weather and a snow plow when it's winter. One of the cool things about this story is the artwork. Each of the early pictures has a central picture but has a border of smaller pictures. It's talks about Katy and what type of machine, it shows her in the big picture and all the other machines who work in the city with labels all around in the border. It mentions the city, and it includes a big map and little pictures of all the businesses th ...more
Jared White
This book may be a little too long and muted for the youngest crowd but if you have a little one who enjoys spending time looking at pictures to notice all the details, then this is the book for them. Also, I know some kids love tractors and this book is all about a tractor who saves the day and pushes through, even when the big old trucks can't.

Katy spends the whole summer working with the road repair crew but in the winter she is kept in reserve as a last resort. When the snow starts falling t
This book is about a big red crawler tractor, who had a bulldozer and a snow plow. This tractor liked to work hard in the town of Geoppolis. She was a big tractor so, she was only able to do big jobs. She got her chance to work when a huge snow storm came in. She was able to save the whole town. Even when she got tired, she kept going until her job was done.
I really liked this book because the way the artwork is, is very different. There are whole pages dedicated to scenery, and it helps make t
Dec 09, 2014 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
I debated on whether I wanted to give a 4 stars or 5 stars...I was very close to a 5 star because I love this book. I live in snow country where 2 feet of snow on the ground is a normal winter. Heavy snowfall is the norm and the Katy's of the world keep my town and state moving. The story is fantastic, and the reason I didn't give it 5 stars, is simply the pictures are dark and old, and old fashioned looking but honestly that didn't even really bother me. But this book was printed in 1943, durin ...more
  • Lentil
  • Madeline in London
  • Barn Dance!
  • Little Toot
  • Storm in the Night
Virginia Lee Burton was an American illustrator and children's book author. Burton produced seven self-illustrated children's books. She married Boston Museum school sculptor, George Demetrios, with whom she had two sons and lived in Folly Cove, Gloucester. She died at 59.

More about Virginia Lee Burton...