Start by marking “Boundaries of the Soul: The Practice of Jung's Psychology” as Want to Read:
Boundaries of the Soul: The Practice of Jung's Psychology

Boundaries of the Soul: The Practice of Jung's Psychology

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  595 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
After thirteen printings and with nearly 100,000 copies in print since its publication twenty years ago, Boundaries Of The Soul has become recognized as THE classic introduction to Jung and the practice of Jung's psychology.The book has been described as "the clearest and most coherent exposition of Jung's total thought," by Robertson Davies, and Alan Watts has called Dr. ...more
Published October 1st 1994 by Anchor (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Boundaries of the Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boundaries of the Soul

Maya
Apr 27, 2009 Maya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
'm not even sure how to write this review. The book is an amazing read from the beginning to the end. You learn a lot about yourself while you are reading the book. The only way to read this book and indeed all books that deal with Jung,as well as Jung's own writings is by applying these concepts yourself.

I think what interested me the most about the book and indeed Jung's writings is that it deals with psychological disorders from the spiritual point of view. The psychology itself is analytic a
Juan
Jul 15, 2010 Juan rated it it was ok
I taught psychology at a small-town rural high school in East Texas and as we took a look at C.G. Jung – known for theories that embraced spirituality, myth, and the imagination – I wanted to find something that would nicely compliment our textbook, something that would help my students better grasp the fascinating life and works of one of the key figures in modern depth psychology.
Through donorschoose.org, I requested and received 30 copies of "Boundaries of the Soul: The Practice of Jung's Ps
Kevin Fuller
Sep 26, 2011 Kevin Fuller rated it it was amazing
Having read Carl Jung now for the past twenty years, and having given his psychology much thought over this amount of time, it should come as no surprise I still turn to introductory material to help broaden and refresh my understanding of this analytical genius.

I read June Singer first back in the eighties. It was a little book called 'Seeing Through the Visible World' and was a nice rumination on Jung and his relationship to the gnostics.

In this great book, though, Singer proves to be expansiv
Rebecca
Jul 26, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves:
I've just read the first 2 chapters so far. Rather than a how-to-do-Jungian-Psychoanalysis book (which probably doesn't exist, anyway), it more illustrates what this type o' therapy looks like, and all the different things involved in it. It's a pretty good look at Jung's model o' the psyche, as well as some o' Jung's life history, as well as some interesting case examples that show Jungian analysis in motion, woo-hoo. I'm planning on gettin' training in how to do that type o' psychotherapy, so ...more
Bob Nichols
Jun 30, 2015 Bob Nichols rated it liked it
Singer gives a long overview of Jung’s philosophy. Our unconscious is filled with various collective archetypes that manifest themselves in everyday life, for good and ill. In addition, we have innate dispositions and acquired experiences that make us individually unique. Together, these collective and individual elements form complexes, which are the typical ways we interact with the world. Our uniqueness puts us at odds with social norms. We hide ourselves. We put on masks. We play roles. We p ...more
A Poet's Books
Nov 11, 2015 A Poet's Books rated it it was amazing
Dr. Singer does a fantastic job summarizing all the various aspects of Jungian analysis. She uses cases from her private practice and clearly shows the process of individuation. A great read.
Gail
Jul 09, 2011 Gail rated it it was amazing
I spent weeks with this book and still go back to it often. It's amazing how much of life and the world are packed into this book. Mostly it's about the process of analysis--the work and effort that goes into transformation by both an analyst and the person in analysis. There's so much to ponder here about how we relate to one another, to reality, to ourselves.

Although I was most interested to read this book to explore how Dr. Singer, a Jungian analyst, would interpret and explain some Jungian
Christa Ladny
Aug 30, 2014 Christa Ladny rated it liked it
A really good overview of a Jungian's approach to psychoanalysis. With all the ambiguity in any given theory from symptoms of a repressed animus to dream symbolism, the author gives case examples from her own practice and often cites Jung or refers to his biography. This helps to reveal the dangers of certain approaches and the necessity of allowing the patient and the subconscious lead the exploration. This is not a book for someone in search of tried and true methods or black and white answers ...more
Steve Woods
This is an outstanding piece of work. After many years experience with therapy and readings around most theoretical constructs, Jung's is the only approach that holds any weight for me. In reading his work and the work of authors influenced by him I find a totality of approach that just is not there in anything else I have encountered, it is always "OK yes but......what about?" Singer gives a precise and readily accessible account of the main thrust of Jungian practice and it sits well with the ...more
Erik Graff
Dec 31, 2013 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jungians
Recommended to Erik by: Einar Graff
Shelves: psychology
Dad, knowing of my interest in analytical psychology and of my having gone to hear June Singer lecture at the Jung Center in Evanston during the previous winter break from college, gave me this book as a gift upon my graduation as a religious studies major from Grinnell College in Iowa. It was probably the first time he himself had actually bought me any kind of gift as previously such things had been Mom's job. Now, however, they had become separated and he had not only gotten me the book but h ...more
Elizabeth
May 28, 2009 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those introspectives who seek to understand life
bought dec 11 08 trade paperback good condition

preface: The first edition c1972 sold well enough to warrant reprinting in 1994. The publisher sent a letter which essentially arrived on JS's 75th birthday and so prompted JS to reconsider her original book. Much more of Jung is in English, much more of JS is in existance as a result of 20+ more years as a Jungian Psychologist in practice and much more modern thought as a result of feminism, and the independence movements of the so called minoritie
Kara
Mar 18, 2014 Kara rated it liked it
This isn't a book I would read for fun. It is extremely useful in the sense that it gives anyone interested in psychotherapy a look into the procedures and practice itself, but unless you intend on pursuing a life path in which you encounter psychotherapy consistently, I wouldn't recommend it.
Rosa
Oct 23, 2013 Rosa rated it it was amazing
Despite a few dated references to early 1970s "counterculture", this is an excellent overview of the theory and process of Jungian analysis. Perfect for those for whom other forms of therapy have come up short. Jungian analysis takes into account not only sexual instinct and the will to power and control, but also the innate spirituality of the individual, rather than dismissing it outright. Provides a potential means of weaving together each facet of personality into a coherent and reasonably w ...more
Erin Reese
Jul 12, 2015 Erin Reese rated it it was amazing
Excellent.
Cesar
Oct 27, 2008 Cesar rated it it was ok
This is a very readable book. However, the title says its "the practice of Jungian psychology" and there is very little discussion of practice so far. Its a nice introduction to Jungian theory, but not much about practice. I also have one big gripe so far: The chapter on Anima/Animus is almost entirely taken up by a history of the women's movement in the US. Well written, yes, but the Anima/Animus concept to me is about so much more than gender equality.
Cara
Aug 10, 2014 Cara rated it it was amazing
A clear explanation of the practice of Jungian psychology, and a pleasure to read. Singer's writing is witty and opinionated, and filled with captivating details drawn from her many years of experience as a psychotherapist.
Nathan Kibler
Sep 05, 2011 Nathan Kibler rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
I picked this up at the library last fall and have been trading it back and forth with other people while I wade through it. Very insightful understanding of Jungian psychology. I hope to finish it this time.

Finished and well worth returning to. Singer covers several psychology issues around religion, touching on astrology specifically, because Jung wrote about his fascination and study of the subject. Enlightening and well written.
David
Sep 02, 2011 David rated it liked it
This book both added to and detracted from Jung's writings. On the plus side June Singer clearly spelled out some of Jung's central tenets. Much of the book was focused on excerpts of case studies that touched on Jung's perspective but left me wanting to know more about what else was going on in the case. Unfortunately it pales in comparison to Jung's own writing and leaves me wanting to return to the source.
Ryan
Jul 31, 2011 Ryan added it
As someone who has tried, several times, to read Jung, and failed miserably, at last this book came into my life. It is an excellent primer on Jung's theories and practices, written in an accessible but intelligent way. It's also very long. But I also feel that I could go back and read some Jung now and make more sense of it.
Andrew Gallagher
Jul 21, 2012 Andrew Gallagher rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and think it has lead to some personal development.

As for an introduction to Jung it is effective, though I feel this simply leads to more study.

The book did drag at some times, and Singer seemed to enjoy a rant or two, but these complaints are very minor when compared to the overall value.
Robert
May 14, 2011 Robert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
Jung's concept of individuation is the process of self discovery and can be translated as 'self-realization'. That is to say, "the realization and integration of all the possibilities immanent in the individual". This book is a good intro to Jung's psychology.
Carl
Jan 17, 2012 Carl rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
My supervisor recommended this book to me as "the most accessible introduction to Jungian psychology". I found it interesting, readable and I feel I have a much more clear understanding of Jung's ideas. It has motivated me to learn more about him and his work.
Laurie
Feb 21, 2016 Laurie rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
It seems that no matter what book I read about Jungian theory at this time in my life, I get something worthwhile out of it. This book is no exception. For me, I learned about the regressive restoration of the persona which was of value to me personally.
Malcolm
Jul 09, 2010 Malcolm rated it really liked it
Terrific book for the professional or general reader. She writes well and clearly and is not as ponderous as Jung himself can be. Good book if you want to read one book about Jung's ideas.
Katherine
Jul 03, 2013 Katherine rated it it was amazing
This book is a great read and I highly recommend it! It is a great introduction to Jung and it definitely provides some interesting and relevant insights into everyday life.
Shammah
Jun 14, 2008 Shammah rated it liked it
Excellent book - because I, at one point in my life....fell in love with Carl Jung and actually jointed his society here in Toronto...metaphysical is quite, quite something!
Sheri
Mar 30, 2008 Sheri rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers wanting an introduction to Jungian Psychology
Recommended to Sheri by: Nick
This is a great introduction to Jungian Psychology by June Singer, a Jungian Analyst, who actually studied at the Jung Institute in Vienna, Austria.
Catherine
I love this book. Am rereading it, and love the broadened perspective of Jung's ideas that June Singer weaves into her own journey.
Ivy
Dec 23, 2013 Ivy rated it it was amazing
A nice overview of Jung's thoughts. Recommend it for any one interested in depth psychology.
Bridgett
Aug 15, 2010 Bridgett rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
Good overview of Jung's psychology, though a bit dry to read.
  • Ego and Archetype: Individuation and the Religious Function of the Psyche
  • Religions, Values, and Peak-Experiences
  • The Feminine in Fairy Tales
  • The Essential Jung: Selected Writings
  • The Origins and History of Consciousness
  • Meeting the Shadow: The Hidden Power of the Dark Side of Human Nature (New Consciousness Reader)
  • Finding Meaning in the Second Half of Life: How to Finally, Really Grow Up