Start by marking “Boundaries of the Soul: The Practice of Jung's Psychology” as Want to Read:
Boundaries of the Soul: The Practice of Jung's Psychology

Boundaries of the Soul: The Practice of Jung's Psychology

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  518 ratings  ·  30 reviews
After thirteen printings and with nearly 100,000 copies in print since its publication twenty years ago, Boundaries Of The Soul has become recognized as THE classic introduction to Jung and the practice of Jung's psychology.The book has been described as "the clearest and most coherent exposition of Jung's total thought," by Robertson Davies, and Alan Watts has called Dr. ...more
Published October 1st 1994 by Anchor (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Boundaries of the Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boundaries of the Soul

Maya
'm not even sure how to write this review. The book is an amazing read from the beginning to the end. You learn a lot about yourself while you are reading the book. The only way to read this book and indeed all books that deal with Jung,as well as Jung's own writings is by applying these concepts yourself.

I think what interested me the most about the book and indeed Jung's writings is that it deals with psychological disorders from the spiritual point of view. The psychology itself is analytic a
Juan
I taught psychology at a small-town rural high school in East Texas and as we took a look at C.G. Jung – known for theories that embraced spirituality, myth, and the imagination – I wanted to find something that would nicely compliment our textbook, something that would help my students better grasp the fascinating life and works of one of the key figures in modern depth psychology.
Through donorschoose.org, I requested and received 30 copies of "Boundaries of the Soul: The Practice of Jung's Ps
Kevin Fuller
Having read Carl Jung now for the past twenty years, and having given his psychology much thought over this amount of time, it should come as no surprise I still turn to introductory material to help broaden and refresh my understanding of this analytical genius.

I read June Singer first back in the eighties. It was a little book called 'Seeing Through the Visible World' and was a nice rumination on Jung and his relationship to the gnostics.

In this great book, though, Singer proves to be expansiv
Rebecca
I've just read the first 2 chapters so far. Rather than a how-to-do-Jungian-Psychoanalysis book (which probably doesn't exist, anyway), it more illustrates what this type o' therapy looks like, and all the different things involved in it. It's a pretty good look at Jung's model o' the psyche, as well as some o' Jung's life history, as well as some interesting case examples that show Jungian analysis in motion, woo-hoo. I'm planning on gettin' training in how to do that type o' psychotherapy, so ...more
Bob Nichols
Singer gives a long overview of Jung’s philosophy. Our unconscious is filled with various collective archetypes that manifest themselves in everyday life, for good and ill. In addition, we have innate dispositions and acquired experiences that make us individually unique. Together, these collective and individual elements form complexes, which are the typical ways we interact with the world. Our uniqueness puts us at odds with social norms. We hide ourselves. We put on masks. We play roles. We p ...more
Gail
I spent weeks with this book and still go back to it often. It's amazing how much of life and the world are packed into this book. Mostly it's about the process of analysis--the work and effort that goes into transformation by both an analyst and the person in analysis. There's so much to ponder here about how we relate to one another, to reality, to ourselves.

Although I was most interested to read this book to explore how Dr. Singer, a Jungian analyst, would interpret and explain some Jungian
Christa Ladny
A really good overview of a Jungian's approach to psychoanalysis. With all the ambiguity in any given theory from symptoms of a repressed animus to dream symbolism, the author gives case examples from her own practice and often cites Jung or refers to his biography. This helps to reveal the dangers of certain approaches and the necessity of allowing the patient and the subconscious lead the exploration. This is not a book for someone in search of tried and true methods or black and white answers ...more
Steve Woods
This is an outstanding piece of work. After many years experience with therapy and readings around most theoretical constructs, Jung's is the only approach that holds any weight for me. In reading his work and the work of authors influenced by him I find a totality of approach that just is not there in anything else I have encountered, it is always "OK yes but......what about?" Singer gives a precise and readily accessible account of the main thrust of Jungian practice and it sits well with the ...more
Erik Graff
Dec 31, 2013 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jungians
Recommended to Erik by: Einar Graff
Shelves: psychology
Dad, knowing of my interest in analytical psychology and of my having gone to hear June Singer lecture at the Jung Center in Evanston during the previous winter break from college, gave me this book as a gift upon my graduation as a religious studies major from Grinnell College in Iowa. It was probably the first time he himself had actually bought me any kind of gift as previously such things had been Mom's job. Now, however, they had become separated and he had not only gotten me the book but h ...more
Elizabeth
May 28, 2009 Elizabeth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those introspectives who seek to understand life
bought dec 11 08 trade paperback good condition

preface: The first edition c1972 sold well enough to warrant reprinting in 1994. The publisher sent a letter which essentially arrived on JS's 75th birthday and so prompted JS to reconsider her original book. Much more of Jung is in English, much more of JS is in existance as a result of 20+ more years as a Jungian Psychologist in practice and much more modern thought as a result of feminism, and the independence movements of the so called minoritie
Kara
This isn't a book I would read for fun. It is extremely useful in the sense that it gives anyone interested in psychotherapy a look into the procedures and practice itself, but unless you intend on pursuing a life path in which you encounter psychotherapy consistently, I wouldn't recommend it.
Rosa
Despite a few dated references to early 1970s "counterculture", this is an excellent overview of the theory and process of Jungian analysis. Perfect for those for whom other forms of therapy have come up short. Jungian analysis takes into account not only sexual instinct and the will to power and control, but also the innate spirituality of the individual, rather than dismissing it outright. Provides a potential means of weaving together each facet of personality into a coherent and reasonably w ...more
Cesar
This is a very readable book. However, the title says its "the practice of Jungian psychology" and there is very little discussion of practice so far. Its a nice introduction to Jungian theory, but not much about practice. I also have one big gripe so far: The chapter on Anima/Animus is almost entirely taken up by a history of the women's movement in the US. Well written, yes, but the Anima/Animus concept to me is about so much more than gender equality.
Cara
A clear explanation of the practice of Jungian psychology, and a pleasure to read. Singer's writing is witty and opinionated, and filled with captivating details drawn from her many years of experience as a psychotherapist.
Nathan Kibler
I picked this up at the library last fall and have been trading it back and forth with other people while I wade through it. Very insightful understanding of Jungian psychology. I hope to finish it this time.

Finished and well worth returning to. Singer covers several psychology issues around religion, touching on astrology specifically, because Jung wrote about his fascination and study of the subject. Enlightening and well written.
David
This book both added to and detracted from Jung's writings. On the plus side June Singer clearly spelled out some of Jung's central tenets. Much of the book was focused on excerpts of case studies that touched on Jung's perspective but left me wanting to know more about what else was going on in the case. Unfortunately it pales in comparison to Jung's own writing and leaves me wanting to return to the source.
Ryan
Jul 31, 2011 Ryan added it
As someone who has tried, several times, to read Jung, and failed miserably, at last this book came into my life. It is an excellent primer on Jung's theories and practices, written in an accessible but intelligent way. It's also very long. But I also feel that I could go back and read some Jung now and make more sense of it.
Andrew Gallagher
I enjoyed this book and think it has lead to some personal development.

As for an introduction to Jung it is effective, though I feel this simply leads to more study.

The book did drag at some times, and Singer seemed to enjoy a rant or two, but these complaints are very minor when compared to the overall value.
Robert
Jung's concept of individuation is the process of self discovery and can be translated as 'self-realization'. That is to say, "the realization and integration of all the possibilities immanent in the individual". This book is a good intro to Jung's psychology.
Carl
My supervisor recommended this book to me as "the most accessible introduction to Jungian psychology". I found it interesting, readable and I feel I have a much more clear understanding of Jung's ideas. It has motivated me to learn more about him and his work.
Malcolm
Terrific book for the professional or general reader. She writes well and clearly and is not as ponderous as Jung himself can be. Good book if you want to read one book about Jung's ideas.
Katherine
This book is a great read and I highly recommend it! It is a great introduction to Jung and it definitely provides some interesting and relevant insights into everyday life.
Shammah
Excellent book - because I, at one point in my life....fell in love with Carl Jung and actually jointed his society here in Toronto...metaphysical is quite, quite something!
Sheri
Mar 30, 2008 Sheri rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Readers wanting an introduction to Jungian Psychology
Recommended to Sheri by: Nick
This is a great introduction to Jungian Psychology by June Singer, a Jungian Analyst, who actually studied at the Jung Institute in Vienna, Austria.
Catherine
I love this book. Am rereading it, and love the broadened perspective of Jung's ideas that June Singer weaves into her own journey.
Ivy
A nice overview of Jung's thoughts. Recommend it for any one interested in depth psychology.
Bridgett
Good overview of Jung's psychology, though a bit dry to read.
Mark Magee
A formative and informative book for me.
Dror Rosenbach
The best overall Jungian book I've read...
  • Ego and Archetype: Individuation and the Religious Function of the Psyche
  • Re-Visioning Psychology
  • Inner Work: Using Dreams and Active Imagination for Personal Growth
  • The Essential Jung: Selected Writings
  • Shadow and Evil in Fairy Tales (C.G. Jung Foundation Book)
  • A Little Book on the Human Shadow
  • Jung's Map of the Soul: An Introduction
  • The Origins and History of Consciousness
  • Meeting the Shadow: The Hidden Power of the Dark Side of Human Nature (New Consciousness Reader)
  • Finding Meaning in the Second Half of Life: How to Finally, Really Grow Up
  • Religions, Values, and Peak-Experiences
  • Cosmos and Psyche: Intimations of a New World View
Blake, Jung & the Collective Unconscious: The Conflict Between Reason & Imagination (Jung on the Hudson) Androgyny: The Opposites Within A Gnostic Book of Hours: Keys to Inner Wisdom Modern Woman in Search of Soul: A Jungian Guide to the Visible & Invisible Worlds (Jung on the Hudson) Seeing Through the Visible World: Jung, Gnosis, and Chaos