Start by marking “The Emperor's Tomb (Cotton Malone, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Emperor's Tomb (Cotton Malone, #6)

The Emperor's Tomb (Cotton Malone #6)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  13,330 Ratings  ·  725 Reviews
BONUS: This edition contains a Cotton Malone Dossier, an excerpt from Steve Berry's The Columbus Affair, and a short story by Steve Berry, The Balkan Escape.

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

Former Justice Department operative Cotton Malone has received an anonymous note carrying an unfamiliar Web address. Logging on, he’s shocked to see Cassiopeia Vitt, a woman who’s saved his lif
ebook
Published November 23rd 2010 by Ballantine Books

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
This is my least favorite of the Cotton Malone series. I'm grudgingly giving it three stars because I respect the research and travel Steve Berry did prior to writing the book. I did learn some interesting things about China and its history, and also discovered that there are some debates about the nature of what we consider fossil fuel.
As for the story, though, it was just too muddled and confusing. I could never keep track of who was on whose side and who was double-crossing and who was good
Elizabeth
Apr 10, 2011 Elizabeth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 52-in-2011
Emperor’s Tomb by Steve Berry (pp. 480)

When the best thing you say about a thriller is that’s well researched, you know you’re in trouble. Cotton Malone and Cassiopeia Witt return in Berry’s sixth book to take the reader on a clunky journey to rescue a boy (weak premise at best) and get involved in a deep behind the scenes political intrigue in China.

From the start the premise misses the urgency of a thriller. The backroom politics of multiple Chinese men from the same areas of government seekin
Miles
Apr 03, 2011 Miles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
When I grow up I want to be Cotton Malone!

There I’ve said it – I feel better now – now that I’ve been true to myself – I am Spartacus - I am Cotton Malone! If only life was that easy and exciting! The world would be a better place and I’d go to work satisfied that I’d made a difference!

Long before I opened Steve Berry’s “The Emperor’s Tomb” I knew I wanted to read it! Not only did it sport an incredibly seductive and colourful book jacket (UK version infinitely better than the US version) but th
Patrice Hoffman
Feb 14, 2014 Patrice Hoffman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won't write a full review since I was only reading this for fun but I still feel compelled to throw my thoughts into the fray. I only have a few reasons why anyone should read this and those reasons are as followed:

1. You're a Steve Berry fan or Cotton Malone series fan!

2. It's fast, fun, and typical Berry...(which can sometimes be a bad thing if you're persnickety)

3. There is constant action coupled with pretty interesting historic facts yet those moments do not slow down the pace to a snails
Alex is The Romance Fox
The Emperor's Tomb by Steve Berry photo fc56537b273b47984c9cd2c49e599b51_zpse2d9f183.jpg

A fast-paced thriller, The Emperor’s Tomb by Steve Berry is the 8th book in the Cotton Malone series and it pulls you from the moment Cotton is faced with having to save Cassiopeia Vitt’s life in exchange for an ancient Chinese artifact that different groups want and will do anything to get it in their possession.
He’s soon drawn into a power struggle in China, which takes him from Copenhagen, Antwerp and to the most incredible cultural sites in China.
The struggle between the two opponents, o
Giovanni Gelati
Dec 09, 2010 Giovanni Gelati rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Does Cotton Malone ever get to be behind the counter of his book store and actually sell a book to anyone? If so what would the book be and to what famous figure or character would he sell it? Fun thought? Well, since he didn’t sell any books this again, what exactly did he do with his bad self ?
“The tomb of China’s First Emperor, guarded by an underground army of terra-cotta warriors has remained sealed for more than 2,000 years. Though it’s regarded as one of the greatest archaeological sites
Pamela
May 21, 2011 Pamela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason, this book by Steve Berry did not grab me the way that his other books have. In it Cotton Malone teams with Cassiopeia Vitt and travels from the museums of Europe to the terra cotta soldiers of China to rescue a stolen child. They become embroiled in a power struggle between Ni (a moderate) and Tang (an extremist) as each determines to be the next leader of China. Pau, the leader of the Ba (an organization of eununchs seeking control of China), forces this struggle to a head whil ...more
Daniel Audet
Feb 08, 2011 Daniel Audet rated it it was amazing
I finished this book a few minutes ago, and, among other writerly thoughts I'm walking away with an awestruck kind of respect for Berry's masterful use of multiple POV's as well his his fine tuned use of sweeping historical relevance in both his subplot and main storyline. Narration, dialogue, back-story - all woven into a spectacular tale. Love is the hardest thing to add to this kind of action thriller, in the sense that our hero Cotton Malone is, well, who he is. A capable "machine" of a man ...more
Greg Z
Feb 03, 2016 Greg Z rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I'll quote from the author, age page 170 of the hardback: "But none of this makes sense." Yes, exactly. However, a 5-page "Writer's Note" at the end of the book contains fascinating historical information. Unfortunately, it takes 428 pages to get there and these 428 pages are so choppy- jumping from scene to scene so quickly- that I was unable to get a sense of a decent narrative story. Some authors are good at this style of writing, some not so good and use this style, in my opinion, to cover u ...more
Elaine Seiler
Aug 12, 2013 Elaine Seiler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. If you enjoy an engaging story, against a fabulous landscape, with an amazing amount of history thrown in, this is for you. I have read a lot of books on China and I still learned a lot. A very intriguing picture of the socio-political conflict that has come down through the ages of Chinese history and brings us right into current time with the need for oil and authority being paramount. Steve tells a really good story....his characters are interesting and his descriptions of the Chi ...more
A.M. Dean
Mar 23, 2014 A.M. Dean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, I really did — and I wasn't necessarily expecting to, since I have a bit of a hot-and-cold relationship with some of Berry's books, and even with this Cotton Malone series itself. But I found this a pleasurable, interesting, entertaining and fast-paced read, which hooked me in and drew me along right from the beginning to the end.

Perhaps what I enjoyed the most was the heavy dosage of creative Chinese history and modern politics; these are really at the heart of the story, a
Mary
Mar 21, 2011 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Berry brings China and its history to life with the lastest adventure of Cotton Malone. With lots of betrayals, and agents involved from the US and Russia and high ranking officials in China this mission gets really tangled over the retrieval of a little boy. Parts of the story are somwhat complicated and it gets a little tough to follow and you may find yourself re-reading parts of it. But I have found that in several of his books. However, I did like learning some of China's history.
RumBelle
Jan 19, 2016 RumBelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Not the most exciting of Steve Berry's books. The Chinese history angle is fascinating. However, the subplot about oil reserves is tedious, somewhat boring and makes the book too long. Overall, it has exciting moments, but it can be slow at points.
Srinath Padmanabhan
The book starts off with a chasing sequence in the snow clad mountains of Pakistan China border - a perfect start for a action packed novel. Then gradually the story moves into the actual plot - a power struggle betweem 2 leaders of China and how Malone and Cassiopeia come in the line of fire. The book moves at a relatively fast pace as it is being narrated from different point of views. Even if one is slower, it lasts only for 3-4 pages and the next chapter compensates for it.There are so many ...more
Tony
Mar 26, 2013 Tony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book began with a very exciting prologue. I discovered much later, in Chapter 75, the exact same words, so it wasn't a Prologue, but an excerpt from much later.

Unfortunately, there was very little between the "Prologue" and Chapter 75 to keep my interest, and little after.

Goodreads lists this as Steve Berry's 6th Cotton Malone novel, but it was my 8th Steve Berry, so I guess two of his earlier ones didn't have Cotton Malone as the central character.

I enjoyed all the previous ones, but this
Nightowltoo
Nov 09, 2010 Nightowltoo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steve Berry's Emperor's tomb is escapist literature at its best. He hits all the required elements of the adventure/thriller genre - familiar recurring hero's (Cotton Malone and Cassiopeia Vitt), exotic locales (China and Belgium!?), historical mysteries (Chinese history and the 8000 man terra cotta army), chases gun-fire, explosions, women/children/fate of nations in jeopardy - without seeming stale.

Fans of Berry will not be disappointed. Which of course begs the question - can a new reader sta
Angela Risner
Jun 04, 2012 Angela Risner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I panned Berry's last book, the Paris Vendetta. I was so disappointed in it.

I am happy to say that I was very happy with The Emperor's Tomb. This book is a huge step back in the right direction, toward the Cotton Malone escapades we have come to know and love.

First of all, Cotton seemed, well, like COTTON again. He just wants to sell his books, enjoying his quiet little life. But of course, that will not last, as he is soon pulled into a quest to save his dear friend and perhaps soon lover, Cass
John
Jul 16, 2013 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kim
The latest Steve Berry action-thriller takes Cotton to China with a conspiracy linking back to the first Chinese emperor. At first it reminded me a lot of The Tiger Warrior but thankfully went a different way and had it's own unique conspiracy.

As usual with these books I enjoy them mostly for the history, spending half my reading time looking up articles on Wikipedia. There were some interesting historical facts I picked up interspersed with the usual action scenes.

The relationship with Cotton
Lee
Jul 24, 2011 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Steve Berry books! Always have enough history and interesting facts to make you want to believe. You know A is true and B is true - does that make C true - and if so what an interesting world we can build. This one was set in China - much of it centered around Xian and the terra cotta warriors. I have been lucky enough to visit China twice and the warriors are one of the most amazing sights I have ever seen. The look at the Chinese personality was interesting - but I thought a bit off bas ...more
Randall Christopher
This books starts out strong, with Malone finding an email showing Vitt tied up and a mysterious man demanding Malone give him something. The only problem is that Malone has no idea what he needs to give. Vitt's character really grows in this one and the love intrigue, and triangle even, really helps pull the plot along when it starts to dull. The final confrontation is very memorable as well, but I can't say I really remember much in between the strong beginning and end. I do remember I enjoyed ...more
Erin
Jan 03, 2011 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For those of you who follow my reads, you know that I'm a big Steve Berry fan. I love the way he takes historical mysteries and conspiracy theories and brings them to life. The Emporer's Tomb did not disappoint. This was his first major foray into Asia, and I found it to be very interesting. I am, however, wondering how long he will be able to continue on with his character, Cotton Malone. The poor old guy seems to be getting tired, and just wants to sell books. It may be time to put the Magella ...more
Marie80
Apr 18, 2015 Marie80 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Приказната не беше нешто посебно, меѓутоа историските факти беа навистина интересни!!!
Pamela Huxtable
Mar 03, 2015 Pamela Huxtable rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, adventure
This was better than most of Berry's - the history and science is fascinating, and the line between the truth and Berry's imagination is impossible to spot. The main action takes place in China - loved the descriptions of the settings and locales, real and imagined.
Susan Beamon
Apr 29, 2016 Susan Beamon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Cotton Malone adventure that I enjoyed very much. High adventure and history wrapped together. I am not reading this series in order and that is fine.
Like a lot of people, China is a land of interesting stories and history. They have managed to maintain a written history for far longer than the lands and cultures I am from. But, because of the distance from us and the differences of cultures, China is a land of mystery, where anything might be true.
The drivers for this story are a power
Barbara ★
I really like Cotton Malone and Casseopia Vitt and them together is wonderful. This one got a little too political for my liking and had way too many bad guys and factions. Honestly I had trouble keeping them straight and who was on whose side. I love Cotton and Casseopia's interactions.

I listened to the audiobook narrated by Scott Brick and was amazed at his pronunciations and various accents. There was absolutely no difficulty telling one character from another.
Raymond
As a child I did not play with toy soldiers so that may be why I had no interest in seeing the "The Terracotta Army" excavation Southwest of Beijing although we had visited such as "The Great Wall" and "Forbidden City"! The author goes to great lengths to describe the terracotta tourist attraction and imagines other archaeological treasures in that area.
My father was a laborer at Coffeyville, Kansas and Whiting/East Chicago, Indiana for Sinclair Refining Company that was headquartered in Fort W
Joseph Perkins Jr.
The Emperor's Tomb by Steve Berry - 3.5/5 Having now read six of the nine novels in The Cotton Malone series, I have to say, first and foremost, I enjoyed The Emperor's Tomb! With that said, although it packed a punch and was very action driven, compared to the other Cotton Malone novels, it left something to be desired. Steve Berry does a wonderful job continuing with The Malone saga. He does what he does best by sending us on a world wide search, with non-stop action and adventure. Our hero Co ...more
Alanpalmer
Nov 18, 2014 Alanpalmer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
OK It is not my kind of novel. I should have guessed this from the prolog. It is just a simple techno thriller, OK it has interesting twists of the Teracotta Army (and this is well researched) but this is not what the focus is about it is about the chinese secret service and lantern jawed heros who punch gun totting villians in the face and run off with the damsel.

Lines like: The throb throb throb announced the arrival of a longbow apache but this was not the US Cavalry to the rescur as Pakistan
Gabe
Mar 13, 2016 Gabe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would've rated this book 3.75 stars if fractional rating would be an option here.

This is another good book from this author. A pleasant mixture of fact and fiction, of fantasy and reality that will take you in a exotic journey in China and Denmark while unfolding an intriguing and captivating plot.

As usual from this author, we are presented with some philosophical issues to think about, like how the communist doctrine, or totalitarianism, or hegemonic doctrine may have very well evolved from t
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Emperor's Tomb 1 3 Jun 04, 2012 11:50AM
  • The Templar Salvation (Templar, #2)
  • The Devil Colony (Sigma Force, #7)
  • The Mask Of Troy (Jack Howard, #5)
  • The Temple Mount Code (Thomas Lourds, #3)
  • Temple Of The Gods (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #8)
  • Crescent Dawn (Dirk Pitt, #21)
  • Red Templar (Templar, #6)
  • The Alexander Cipher (Daniel Knox, #1)
  • The Dakota Cipher (Ethan Gage, #3)
  • The Atlantis Prophecy (Conrad Yeats Adventure #2)
  • The Lost Throne (Payne & Jones, #4)

Steve Berry is the New York Times and #1 internationally bestselling author of The 14th Colony>, The Patriot Threat, The Lincoln Myth, The King's Deception, The Columbus Affair, The Jefferson Key, The Emperor's Tomb, The Paris Vendetta, The Charlemagne Pursuit, The Venetian Betrayal, The Alexandria Link, T
More about Steve Berry...

Cotton Malone (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Templar Legacy (Cotton Malone, #1)
  • The Alexandria Link (Cotton Malone, #2)
  • The Venetian Betrayal (Cotton Malone, #3)
  • The Charlemagne Pursuit (Cotton Malone, #4)
  • The Paris Vendetta (Cotton Malone, #5)
  • The Jefferson Key (Cotton Malone, #7)
  • The King's Deception (Cotton Malone, #8)
  • The Lincoln Myth (Cotton Malone, #9)
  • The Patriot Threat (Cotton Malone, #10)
  • The 14th Colony (Cotton Malone, #11)

“Study the past if you would define the future. --CONFUCIUS” 28 likes