Start by marking “Beyond the Deepwoods (Edge Chronicles, Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Deepwoods (Edge Chronicles, Book 1)

Beyond the Deepwoods (The Edge Chronicles #4)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  9,439 ratings  ·  585 reviews
Young Twig lives in the Deepwoods adopted by woodtrolls, and steps off the path to find where he belongs. He meets myriad peculiar creatures: his wise guardian caterbird, redskin slaughterers, and the vicious, bile-swilling rotsucker. Finally he discovers his roots in the skies, and sets forth with the sky pirates.
Kindle Edition
Published December 18th 2008 (first published 1998)

I was really surprised about this book. Not because of the fact that it was bad. It was actually better then I thought it would be. The thing that surprised me is that this is considered a children's series and the rather disturbing stuff that goes on in here. I did love the fact that there was so many different creatures and adventures going on. Not one problem lasted so long.

I do agree with the person that said they were surprised that the story got wrapped up so neatly with so much random st
Emily May
Oh my god, what an entertaining and enjoyable read about adventure, hope and never giving up even in the most dire circumstances.
I don't really know where to start with the story, there is so much going on and you as the reader really feel like you're right there in the adventure with Twig (who is a lovable little character), you follow him through impossible situations that he always manages to get out of because he's so filled with hope and spirit.
This is one of those wild imagination books,
This is one of those series, like the famous Harry Potter, and like the Chrestomanci series of Diana Wynne Jones, that I used to fervently and desperately wish were real. Or rather, that felt so real incredibly real that I simply couldn't believe they weren't. Yes, my 11th birthday was somewhat spoiled with the absence of a letter from Hogwart's, but it's no time to dwell on that.
I remember first reading this aged 11, at a very unhappy time in my childhood, and it was the very best escape into f
Saeed Mohamadi
Jun 25, 2015 Saeed Mohamadi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Saeed by: Roya
3 stars for the story and so many characters that beautifully described in so much details, wonderful graphics in the book and 1 star for the ending. It was a good end to the story, finishing first book with an appropriate plot for the main character to be introduced and leaving the reader in a position that they know it's the beginning of a great journey for him . Definitely going to read the next book in this trilogy.
The best thing I enjoyed in this book was the vast numbers of metaphors that
Beyond the Deepwoods (Edge Chronicles, Book 1)

After beginning this book, I figured out that it is actually written for children. At the time, I had no book to read. This book has been on my shelf for a few years. It was given to my partner as a gift and he was never interested in it. So, out of necessity to have something to read, I grabbed it.

I was shocked at how much I liked it. I wasn't incredible, but it was very well written and the story was well thought out. It had a few twists and turns
I loved every aspect of this book, it was just as enchanting as the first time I read it, and can at least say that it's as good as all the previous books I've read.
Für Kinder: 4 Sterne

Meine Meinung

Ich bin von dem Buch ein bisschen enttäuscht, weil ich eine völlig andere Erwartung hatte. Das Cover hat mich an die Scheibenweltromane erinnert, dabei hat man es hier mit einem reinen Kinderbuch zu tun. Was jetzt an sich nicht schlimm wäre, aber ich bin mit dem Handlungsablauf nicht so wirklich klargekommen.
Wenn ich das Buch jetzt rein für Kinder bewerten würde, könnte ich 4 Sterne vergeben, aber mir persönlich hat es leider nicht so gefallen.

Im ersten Kapitel h
Autori - Kriss Ridels un Pols Stjuarts - grāmatā ir centušies parādīt, ka brīžiem var atkāpties no ikdienišķās un garlaicīgās grāmatu rakstīšanas, veidojot kādu radošu savu fantāziju un izdomu augli. Grāmata jau kādu laiku bija stāvējusi manas istbas plauktā, līdz beidzot nolēmu to izlasīt. To es nenožēloju nevienu brīdi, jo bija interesanti attālināties no realitātes un pabūt kādā interesantā vietā devētā par Malaszemi.
Piedzīvojums sākas Malazsemē galvenā varoņa - Zarēna audžuvecāku mājā. Mala
Ahmad Sharabiani
Beyond the Deepwoods (The Edge Chronicles #1), Paul Stewart, Chris Riddell
This book is about a 13 year old Twig who discovers that he was abandoned at birth by a unknown person. Twig goes on a long journey through Deepwoods to try to get back his family. He makes his way through goblins and trogs and beasts who drink blood for fun.

I didnt really like this book, because of it's plot. It's a fairy tail book and I'm not a fan of books of that kind. The only reason why i never put it down was because i was waiting for something good to happen, by the time i realized nothi
I loved this book instantly. Maybe even before I started reading it. The cover is way cooler than this pic they have.
The art of the book is so amazing. The map of The Edge is amazing. I want to go there. After the first chapter I could hardly put it down. What an amazing adventure story. Its a kids book-i saw it in the childrens section at the library and was drawn to the fancy cover. It reminds me of Bilbo's adventures in the HObbit but not so hard to read. A very quick easy-fun read. I loved i
I loved this book, as a child.

I had a beautiful edition, a little hardcover with a textured spine and deckled edges. It's illustrated by Chris Riddell, who is one of my favourite illustrators. I really liked the main character, Twig. He's a little bit like Bilbo Baggins in that he's from a very quiet, sheltered place and gets thrown into this huge adventure that never really stops.

I found it so engrossing and really couldn't put it down. I loved the plot and the creatures and the world-building
Arielle Walker
Every time I read this book I remember again how much I absolutely adore everything about it. The Edgeworld, the Deepwoods, the creatures and characters, the gorgeous sketches, the plot - EVERYTHING. I will, at some point, write an actual review but for now I'll just say (like a little kid) IloveitIloveitIloveit IwantitIwantitIwantit!
Not as good as I remember it being, though I was in middle school when I read it the first time....

Still a great book!
[4 Stars] Just as whimsical and enjoyable as the first time I read it.
Beyond the Deepwoods was, to my memory, the book that truly instilled in me a love of fantasy. For that, I owe Paul Stewart and Chris Riddle a great debt, for the reading of fantasy books became my favourite pastime as a young boy, and perhaps without the existence of this book I would never have read the Hobbit, or the Lord of the Rings, which remain among my favourite books. I believe it was one of the first 'big books' I ever read, and I continued to read the rest of The Edge Chronicles up un ...more
Alright I admit it, the art was what really caught my attention when I first saw the whole series lined up at the library. My excitement only grew when I read the blurb for a few. Sky pirates, strange creatures, and a new original fantasy world, what's not to like? Unfortunately quite a lot as no matter how much I wanted to love Beyond the Deepwoods and the rest of the Edge Chronicles I ended up barely able to force myself to finish first book.
The main character, Twig, couldn't get much more cli
Not a lot happens in this first installment of the Edge Chronicles. It's a journey tale most simply summed up as a search for identity. It kind of reminds me in some ways of the children's book Are You My Mother? where a baby bird asks a cow, a dog, a plane, etc., if they are, well... you get the idea.

The protagonist in this tale, Twig, doesn't fit in with his family and rather against his wishes is sent on a journey where he keeps looking for a place to fit in (or even help just surviving in s
Twig doesn't fit in with his woodtroll family. He is very different from everyone else in the village and has a hard life because of that. One day his family decides that he must leave the village and venture out into the Deepwoods. The Deepwoods are filled with all kinds of creatures and dangers but if you stay on the path you should be fine. Of course Twig strays from the path and has one adventure after another. It seems like he gets out of one situation and instantly falls into another. He h ...more
After we finished _The Red Pyramid_, I wasn't very good about burning to CD a new audiobook for the big boys and me during our drives to/from school. So the last time we went to a library, I looked for a new book for us to listen to. It was a small, one-room library (yes, one exists in the San Francisco Bay Area!), and the selection of kids' audiobooks took up about two feet of space on a bookshelf. Pickings were slim; over half of the selection was on tape! This title was the only one they were ...more
Justyn Rampa
Wanting to continue reading fantasy, but desiring a bit lighter fare I settled upon the first book in "The Edge Chronicles". To my utter delight, I loved it. The illustrations by Chris Riddell definitely add to the world that Paul Stewart has created. In fact, I can't imagine one without the other.

As to the story itself, it reminds quite a bit of Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland". Come to find out that as a child, Paul Stewart sites "Alice in Wonderland" and Norman Juster's "Phantom Tollboot
The first Edge Chronicles novel “Beyond the Deepwoods” is in fact a story that should be considered by many. The ideas that compile the tale are what Riddell’s and Stewart’s imagination is all about; they are original and impressively creative. The magic realms and variety of mythical creatures taking place in the book create an atmosphere, which surely will be enjoyed by any fantasy genre fan.

The main character’s (Twig) unique origins and features offer the reader a good companion to travel th
Jun 04, 2009 Alexis rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: boys 10+ who like adventure stories with great illustrations
Recommended to Alexis by: My brother
This was a fun fantasy-adventure story for boys. Twig is a boy living with a wood troll family. When he finally realizes that he is not, in fact, a wood troll, he sets out through the dangerous Deepwoods to find some answers. He meets all sorts of crazy creatures, and the illustrations match the descriptions spot-on. I don't think this book would have been as good without the accompanying drawings, because some of the things he encounters are really freaking weird. It helps to have such wonderfu ...more
Maša Spalatin
My favorite book! Twig is my all time favorite character. The illustrations and the story are beautiful and sometimes very sad (the entire series is a children's version of Game of Thrones/everyone dies). This book is for (a little older) kids and adults and it's one of those series you have to read over and over again. You can't wait to finish it, but at the end you feel like you are losing a best friend by putting it back on the shelf. Good thing is there are a lot of sequels!
My daughter asked me to read this. It’s geared towards children and is fantasy, action/adventure. My only complaint is that the story is a little bit too action-packed, for the poor protagonist who is so like-able and yet seldom seems to get much time to breathe! My daughter reassures me that the series gets much better. She’s read them all at least twice, I think. I look forward to reading more in the series.
Clearwater Public Library Staff Picks
I love fantasy books that are well constructed and detailed. You really had a wonderful sense of the setting and the characters. Twig was such a spunky person, very entertaining. All the different characters had such wonderful personality. My favorites were the Sky Pirates. I truly enjoy books with pirates in any case, but this ragtag group was such a hoot! I loved the underlying message that no matter how tough things get, you should never give up hope. Fantasy paired with adventure is all the ...more
Jeanine Allen
Jeanine Allen
Science Fiction

Beyond the Deepwoods by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell is the first in a series of books called The Edge Chronicles. The book is about a boy/creature named Twig who has been raised by Woodtrolls. He has to leave his homeland because he doesn't want to be kidnapped by pirates and he goes in search for his father as well as to find out where he belongs. Twig starts out his journey very sensitive and along the way finds strength in friendship. The drawings in the book he
I will at this point reveal my English major roots and tell you that this book reminds me very intensely of The Faerie Queene by Spenser and The Divine Comedy by Danté, and in fact, reading it in this way is really the only way to read it. Largely because otherwise, the endless danger that Twig finds himself in seems pointless rather than another step on his heroic journey. The end is a little frustrating for me, considering the circumstances of how Twig came to be with the woodtrolls, but I'm h ...more
Jacob B.
In the first book of The Edge Chronicles by Paul Stewart it mainly jumps into a life of a sci-fi character Twig, whose parents left him when was little. I personally only like the first three because they have you on the edge of your chair. I only have read the first 5 where Twig finally comes back into the book but he has changed tremendously. I recommend this book to anyone who loves sci-fi like me.

Ich habe die ersten drei Bände gelesen als ich ungefähr 11 oder 12 Jahre alt war, und nun hier wieder entdeckt. Wunderschöne Fantasygeschichte für Kinder, ich war und bin begeistert!
  • Awful End (Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #1)
  • Ottoline Goes to School (Ottoline, #2)
  • The Monsters of Otherness (Erec Rex, #2)
  • Not Just a Witch
  • Tourist Trap (Edgar & Ellen, #2)
  • The Doomspell (Doomspell, #1)
  • Urchin of the Riding Stars (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #1)
  • The Floating Island (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #1)
  • Kenny and the Dragon
  • Down the Mysterly River
  • The Cabinet of Wonders (The Kronos Chronicles, #1)
  • Dark Quetzal (The Echorium Sequence, #3)
  • The Tasters Guild (Poisons of Caux, #2)
  • Kasper in the Glitter
  • The Wall and the Wing (Wall and the Wing, #1)
  • Larklight (Larklight, #1)
  • Rise of the Darklings (The Invisible Order, #1)
  • The Monstrous Memoirs of a Mighty McFearless
Paul Stewart is a writer of children's books, best known for the bestselling The Edge Chronicles, the Free Lance novels and the Far Flung Adventures series among others. Many of his books are illustrated by Chris Riddell. Paul Stewart lives in the Seaside town Brighton with his wife and children.
From Wikipedia: Paul Stewart (writer). (2008, September 18). In Wiki
More about Paul Stewart...

The Edge Chronicles (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Curse of the Gloamglozer (The Edge Chronicles, #4)
  • The Winter Knights (Edge Chronicles, #8)
  • Clash of the Sky Galleons (The Edge Chronicles, #9)
  • Stormchaser (The Edge Chronicles, #2)
  • Midnight Over Sanctaphrax (Edge Chronicles, #3)
  • The Last of the Sky Pirates (Edge Chronicles, #5)
  • Vox (Edge Chronicles, #6)
  • Freeglader (Edge Chronicles, #7)
  • The Immortals (the Edge Chronicles, #10)
  • The Nameless One (The Edge Chronicles #11; Cade #1)

“Normal! He thought. Normal! I don't want things to be normal. Normal is always being left out, never belonging.” 27 likes
“Not different, but special!” 6 likes