Start by marking “Dracula” as Want to Read:
Dracula

Dracula (Marvel Illustrated)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  14,753 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Bram Stoker's legendary novel comes to life in this stunning adaptation by comics legends Roy Thomas and Dick Giordano! Originally serialized in Marvel's black-and-white horror magazines Vampire Tales and Legion of Monsters, their meticulous retelling of Stoker's tale of Gothic horror is now presented in full color for the first time! COLLECTING Dracula #1-4
Published October 27th 2010 by Marvel (first published 2005)

Jokoloyo
It is a faithful adaptation, not a "cheap" thrill of vampire hunting stories (I believe if you want a vampire hunting full action story, Marvel comics provides 'Blade').

There is 'it is me not you' issue: I found cursive handwriting letters on comic text boxes are distracting. I understand the adapters want to present epistolary atmosphere in the story with the cursive letters, but still... oh well, as I said, it is my issue.
Lena Tumasyan
Sep 06, 2011 Lena Tumasyan rated it it was amazing
I bought this book in Borders, during its going-out-of-business clearance sale. I am very sad to see Borders go, as it was more then a bookstore to me. It was a social hub, a place of high school memories, and a great escape from the craziness of home. But alas...nothing I can do.

I've read Bram Stoker's Dracula many times. Who hasn't? I'm sure everyone has seen one of the many Dracula movies made in the last century. And with vampires being incredibly popular nowadays, I figured what else can th
Jay
Nov 03, 2012 Jay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marvel
I had this on my shelf waiting to be read, so I figured Halloween was a great time to read it. This is a fantastic adaptation of the novel, and does the original work great justice. The art (Giordano) perfectly captures the mood and lends a "period" feel to the whole thing. The HC version is bound nicely, but there is some gutter loss which is a bit frustrating. If you've read the novel this is worth a read especially for the art. I always like to start with the original work before venturing on ...more
Sariah
Apr 17, 2011 Sariah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Borders was closing and this is one of the graphic novels I picked up for 80% off - I am a huge fan of the original novel and was curious. It is very faithful to the novel and the graphics make it even MORE creepy, if that is possible. I also find it very satisfying that Dracula could rip out Edward Cullen's throat and eat him for breakfast. How come there isn't a graphic novel about that? I'd buy that at full price.
Sean Goh
Jan 06, 2017 Sean Goh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, fiction
Solid adaptation of the novel (which I haven't read), but the text and graphics combine to bring the novel's story to vivid life. Was actually feeling mildly fearful at points in the book.
Dan
In 1897, Draculawas first published by Bram Stoker. In 1975, comic book legends Dick Giordano and Roy Thomas began working on a comic book adaptation of Dracula for Marvel Comics. Unfortunately, the project was cancelled. Thirty years later, the two reunited to complete the book. Here is Stoker’s Dracula, a beautiful, hardcover graphic novel. Thomas and Giordano set out to create “..the most faithful adaptation ever.” Is it one-hundred percent faithful? Now, I am a huge fan of the original vampi ...more
Carl Nelson
May 25, 2012 Carl Nelson rated it really liked it
This is a faithfully creepy adaptation of Bram Stoker's classic tale of vampires that excels both in the text and the illustrations. The dialog and narration are fluid, and in graphic novel format the number of different narrators (Jonathan Harker's diary, Mina Murray's letters, Dr. Seward's phonograph recordings, et al.) stand out as different voices. The artwork is bold yet still nuanced, and it manages to maintain detail even in predominantly dark frames.

If I have one complaint, it's that the
Rory
Oct 06, 2016 Rory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very solid adaptation to one of my all time favourite classics. The greyscale artwork is astoundingly moody and perfectly creates the gothic tone and the adaptation of the text (since the author didn't exactly 'write' it per-se) was coherent and well done with all that was condensed.

Only concern was that I had trouble reading Mina's diary entries, that were written in curly calligraphy (the kind I hate and is unfortunatel quite common during this time period in history). It was a bit trying on m
Nathalia
Nov 29, 2014 Nathalia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Posiblemente hice las cosas en el orden equivocado.
Primero vi el musical en el teatro.
Luego la película.
Y finalmente leí el libro.

Pero aún así, disfruté de cada página como si fuera la primera vez que me topaba con la historia.

Ahora los vampiros son un chiste que está de moda, pero hay tantas cosas detrás de esta novela que es imposible no considerarla una obra maestra de la literatura.

Don
Jan 20, 2010 Don rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Quite good - it moves briskly, as an adaptation should, and the compressed nature requires excising quite a lot of the frustrating bits present in the original (much of Van Helsing's speeches, for instance). The black and white artwork from comics legend Dick Giordano is creepy, alluring and effective. The original is worth reading but eventually outstays its welcome; fortunately, that problem isn't found here.
Evan
Feb 16, 2013 Evan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sharmishtha Basu
If it is Bram Stoker's Dracula then it is one of my favorite books, not only as a horror but classic as well. The story that Stoker weaved was beyond comparison, no wonder he is still around! Count Dracula has become synonymous to vampires in some places, especially to those who don't read much horror stories, they often mistake count Dracula as a synonym to vampire.
Adriana
This is like an illustrated CliffNotes version of the classic tale by Bram Stoker.
You miss out on some of the backstories and details, but all the pertinent bits are included and drawn in gorgeous, superdetailed black and white.
It doesn't really bring anything new to the table, but it's one of the best summaries I've ever read of Dracula.
Stephanie
I listened to this book in Audio format and it was quite good. I don't know if the experience would have been the same if I had read it. Dr Van Helsing is read by Tim Currey. You can't go wrong with horror read by Tim Currey
Shaima
Dec 18, 2014 Shaima rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book back in high school to avoid the awkward silence on the bus back to my house. Its amazing! I truly enjoyed it so much to the point that I talked about it nonstop for a whole two weeks!
Kayla
Feb 02, 2015 Kayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy reading this book. One of my favorites. I love the style of writing from this time period, the setting, everything. I feel it's very romanticized, but that's what I liked about it. If you like this one I would recommend Frankenstein!
Barbie
Mar 17, 2015 Barbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dracula is just a clasic! I admit it took me longer than usual to end it as it is more complex than what I usually read but it was worth it. I finally got to know the real story and get my own conclusion about vampires. I actually liked it.
Marylou
Excellent adaptation of the story. Loved the illustrations!

Natalie
Good adaptation.
Andêşe Fethî
May 04, 2015 Andêşe Fethî rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very true to the original story
Adnana Dason
You also might be interested in Vlad's original Romanian story: http://bit.ly/XiyE4B
PWRL
Apr 26, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2011-new
E
Nandakishore
I WANT TO READ THS BOOK
Ari Kadaloram
Nov 14, 2013 Ari Kadaloram rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great book
Karen
Feb 18, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
One of my fave books. Read so many times.
Moira Lau
Mar 21, 2014 Moira Lau rated it it was amazing
Much more scarier than reading the Bram Stoker novel as one could see the red eyes, the fangs, the blood... Reminded me of how much I loved Dracula.
Kelli
Feb 17, 2014 Kelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cool art and very true to the original story.
Jim
Oct 23, 2016 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is one of the best adaptations of Dracula that I have ever seen, in any medium. The art is amazing, and the story doesn't leave any of the novel out.
Blu
Dec 30, 2010 Blu rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Check out my full review at my blog, October Country: http://theoctobercountry.wordpress.co...
Theresa Bombard
Feb 28, 2010 Theresa Bombard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read the regular version of Dracula many times. I enjoyed reading this graphic version which added moody, atmospheric renderings of the action in the book.
Graphic Novels: Dracula By Roy Thomas and Dick Giordano 1 2 Jul 21, 2016 09:50AM
  • War Stories, Volume 2
  • COPS
  • Crash at Corona: The U.S. Military Retrieval and Cover-Up of a UFO
  • Castle Bravo
  • Emma (Marvel Classics)
  • Under Fire: An American Story - The Explosive Autobiography of Oliver North
  • Joe Hill's Terrifyingly Tragic Treasury Edition
  • Dracula (All-Action Classics, #1)
  • The Legend of Huma (Dragonlance)
  • Haunt of Horror: Lovecraft
  • Unexplained Mysteries of World War II
  • Petrus Romanus, The Final Pope is Here
  • Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles: The Authorized Adaptation
  • Doctor Strange: Beginnings and Endings
Roy Thomas is a comic book writer and editor, and Stan Lee's first successor as editor-in-chief of Marvel Comics. He is possibly best known for introducing the pulp magazine hero Conan the Barbarian to American comics, with a series that added to the storyline of Robert E. Howard's character and helped launch a sword and sorcery trend in comics. Thomas is also known for his championing of Golden A ...more
More about Roy Thomas...

Marvel Illustrated (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Emma (Marvel Classics)
  • Last of the Mohicans (Marvel Illustrated)
  • Moby Dick (Marvel Illustrated)
  • Pride and Prejudice (Marvel Illustrated)
  • The Iliad (Marvel Illustrated)
  • The Man in the Iron Mask
  • The Odyssey
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray
  • Kidnapped!
  • The Three Musketeers (Marvel Illustrated)