Start by marking “Fodor's New York City 2011” as Want to Read:
Fodor's New York City 2011

Fodor's New York City 2011

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Full-color guide • Make your trip to New York City unforgettable with 60 maps, illustrated features, and 265 color photos.

Customize your trip with simple planning tools • Top experiences and
attractions • Practical advice for getting around • Easy-to-read color
neighborhood maps

Explore Chinatown, SoHo, Midtown, and beyond • Discerning Fodor’s Choice picks for hotels, resta
Published September 23rd 2010 by Fodor (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Fodor's New York City 2011, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fodor's New York City 2011

Steven Peterson
This is a good resource if you are thinking of visiting New York City. Frommer's is another resource, too. Although this volume is a bit dated, it would still be useflul.

However, this volume has a number of very important pluses. For one thing, there are well detailed maps of different parts of the city.

For another, there are very helpful maps of museums. For instance, the floor plan map of the American Museum of Natural History would be most useful for people wanting to explore this facility.
Serena
Jul 24, 2009 Serena rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those taveling to NYC
Fodor's New York City 2009 came to me from Shelf Awareness in preparation for Book Expo America. I requested the guide to make plans for navigating the city, and it was a great resource for the trip this past weekend.

There are full-color pages throughout of various landmarks, monuments, and other places. There is a pull out map inside with clearly labeled streets and landmarks, as well as a subway system map in the back flap for Manhattan. The subway map helped during the trip to determine which
Crystal
It's kind of misleading to label this "read," as I obviously didn't read the book cover to cover. (Also, I used the 2013 edition, which doesn't seem to be on Goodreads.) I read the sections I found relevant, since we stuck to Manhattan on our trip. But for the various parts of Manhattan we visited, and the introductory information parts, it was very very helpful.
The food recommendations were probably least helpful, as with all my dietary restrictions, I couldn't eat at most of the places. And o
Elizabeth
I bought this book to help me plan a trip to NYC, with the intention of being able to carry it around with me for quick reference (because relying on my phone the entire time would kill the battery in about, oh, 15 minutes). I found it to be very useful. The maps are large enough that they are easy to read (no microscopic type) and the organization of the book is sensible and easy to navigate.

The only downside is that the book is dated with current events, so after 2013 some sections of the boo
Kyle
This was a good resource for traveling to New York City. Lots of good advice, key tips for the big attractions, restaurant and hotel lists (little used on my trip), and most importantly, a very handy fold-up mini-map of Manhattan's subways. Two thumbs up if you're travelling to New York this year.
Heather
This book is fantastic! I received it as a gift after moving to the Northern New Jersey area. It has clear and concise, yet insightful explanations of the districts within Manhattan / Staten Island / The Bronx and what attractions can be found where. It also contains several maps and pictures of major attractions and details local hotels, restaurants, etc. with a price and quality guide. This book is interesting, accurate, and affordable (around $15!) It's a must-have for any non-NYC native livi ...more
Alexandra Hamilton
Lots of pictures. Clear written formatting. Walking tours for each neighborhood featuring a hit parade of New York's tourist spots: sights, restaurants, and activities. Weather resistant street and subway map. Conveniently sized.
Olivia
I get a lot out of this guide every time I open it up. I picked up a copy right before I moved to NY, and still find it useful 4 months in.

The format is easy to understand, the maps are clear, and the recommendations are right on.
This is a great guidebook--lots of info, clearly organized, and it gives the impression that it was written by real people who care and want travelers' feedback on how to improve the book. Well done!
Angela
Jul 24, 2008 Angela rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: travelers
I particularly enjoyed the "Word of mouth" section at the beginning of each book division (designating locations of the city) . The quotes certainly accurately echoed our own experience.
Sharon
Helpful guide of the basics ... enclosed map was good but could have been more helpful/detailed. Extemporary exploration was more fruitful on this visit - loved Brooklyn!
Michael
Made our trip so much easier and was able to preplan our days. Pay attention to the dates the museums are open. I made this mistake and it threw us off a little.
Nycdreamin
One of the many New York City travel guides in my collection. This one is the Fodor's 2006 edition. I picked this one up for $1.00 at a library book sale.
Liz
This book was only so so. I know the point of it wasn't to have much information but it didn't have many restaurants and that's important for a short trip.
Erinn
Actually gives me a 2 day guide to see NY. Where to walk and everything including eating!

John Velez
This is very helpful on our trip to New York City also supplied maps for the trip, as well.
Linda
Very helpful information for our stay in NYC for hotels, restaurants, and things to see/do.
Fili
Can't wait to put all of this knowledge to use when I go this spring for my birthday!
Christine
Classic guidebook updated with some color features.
Megan
Needs more on Williamsburg and bookshops.
Shelley
Super useful for planning. Love the maps.
Anne
Useful guide--fairly well organized.
getting ready for my trip next month!
Curtis
Curtis added it
Dec 17, 2014
Rumpusparable
Rumpusparable marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
  • New York
  • Roadfood
  • Myths of Motherhood: How Culture Reinvents the Good Mother
  • Most Scenic Drives in America
  • A House Somewhere: Tales of Life Abroad (Lonely Planet Journeys)
  • Where To Go When (Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • 5 of USA's Best Trips
  • Mapping Manhattan: A Love (And Sometimes Hate) Story in Maps by 75 New Yorkers
  • The Battle for Christmas
  • Bicoastal Babe
  • Rick Steves' Rome 2007 (Rick Steves' City and Regional Guides)
  • Volunteer: A Traveller's Guide to Making a Difference Around
  • Foxfire 2
  • Southern Plate: Classic Comfort Food That Makes Everyone Feel Like Family
  • Secrets to Winning at Office Politics: How to Achieve Your Goals and Increase Your Influence at Work
  • Berlin (Lonely Planet City Guide)
  • How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying: The Dastard's Guide to Fame and Fortune
  • Forgotten New York: Views of a Lost Metropolis
Fodor's London 2012 Fodor's Costa Rica 2010 Fodor's Paris 2011 Fodor's Hawaii 2007 Fodor's Ireland 2011