Start by marking “The Spider Sapphire Mystery (Nancy Drew, #45)” as Want to Read:
The Spider Sapphire Mystery (Nancy Drew, #45)

The Spider Sapphire Mystery (Nancy Drew #45)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  4,170 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Thrilling, dangerous adventures confront Nancy Drew while on a safari in East Africa with a group of American college students. Excitement runs high as the teen-age detective delves into the theft of a fabulous sapphire formed by nature millions of years ago. The mystery starts in Nancy's home town. Her lawyer father's client, Floyd Ramsay, who fashions beautiful and unusu ...more
Published December 1st 1967 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about The Spider Sapphire Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spider Sapphire Mystery

The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn KeeneThe Hidden Staircase by Carolyn KeeneThe Secret of Shadow Ranch by Carolyn KeeneThe Sign of the Twisted Candles by Carolyn KeeneThe Bungalow Mystery by Carolyn Keene
Nancy Drew Mystery Stories
22nd out of 79 books — 72 voters
The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn KeeneMystery of the Golden Temple by Lisa TravisGirl's Best Friend by Leslie MargolisThe Spider Sapphire Mystery by Carolyn KeeneMystery of the Secret Room by Janelle Diller
Girl's Mystery
4th out of 76 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Madeline
Oh yes, I'm still reading Nancy Drew novels. As an adult with far too much literary criticism classes, reading them is a very different experience for me than it was as a kid. Then, reading these books was like watching action blockbusters - sure, in the back of my mind I knew they were silly and outlandish and there were better things I could be doing, but dammit I was having fun. Nowadays, the experience is a little different. Reading Nancy Drew now is like watching a Mystery Science Theater s ...more
John Yelverton
Nancy Drew must solve this case of fraud, counterfeiting, and blackmail before it's too late!
Barbara ★
I loved the Nancy Drew books when I was a child but realize now that they are very simplistic and really stretch the imagination. There is absolutely no way a young girl could accomplish the things Nancy does in these books. I guess if you're a tween, they'd be engaging but certainly not if you've actually lived for any length of time. I read this for a challenge (needed something published in 1967), otherwise I would never have picked this up.
Kendall
This book focuses on Nancy going on a Safari with the Emerson boys, and Bess and George. Before leaving Nancy is boxed in by three Indians. She also has heard about a sapphire with a spider in it that was made synthetically by a man in River Heights. It was modeled after a real one that lives in Mombasa. She goes to see the fake sapphire and sees a sign that says it is the real one and it is stolen. the curator says that three indians were at the museum. before leaving nancy meets a singer whole ...more
Catherine Woodman
I absolutely adored these growing up, much more so than the Hardy Boys, and still carry a fondness for them into adulthood
Phe☽♃
The Spider Sapphire Mystery is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 45th book in the Nancy Drew series.

Nancy Drew's latest mystery starts in her home town where her lawyer father's client, Floyd Ramsey—who fashions beautiful and unusual synthetic gems, is accused of stealing the magnificent spider sapphire—a synthetic sapphire with a spider embedded in it—and exhibiting it as his own creation.

When Mr. Ramsey's enemies blackmail him, and by their own vicious acts try to d
Emily
Nancy Drew is trying to unlock the case about the missing spider sapphire and one made in a lab. Although one is in River Heights it is not the same one the real one has spinettes but it River Heights it doesn't.

Nancy gets hooked in to this mystery because her friend Ned went missing right before Nancy, Bess, George, Burt, Dave, and Ned were going to go on a trip with the boy's collage.

The gang got beat up, kidnappped twice, and Nancy got a plastic bag put over her head. The people with the spi
Leah
Oh, Nancy Drew...

When I was a kid, I'd read a Nancy book a day. I couldn't put them down. The adventures were top notch and she was such a strong female character who had strong female, kick-ass friends. So I wanted to revisit. This is what I hope will be the first of many re-read Nancy books.

As usual, within the first 10 pages, Nancy is in a scrape and some criminals are stealing her purse and trapping her car in a parking lot for no reason. In this mystery, a rare gem is stolen and Nancy is pu
Melanie
This book is actually an insanely boring hunt for a sapphire with a fossilized spider inside it.

OMG GUNFIRE! Someone shoots out Nancy's tires. Actually, no, they shoot at her tires while she's parked, but don't manage to actually puncture them. So. Hm.

Safari to East Africa! Wondering when she's going to go to Antarctica to look for Bernadette. If a person is black, they're referred to as "a black," like, "the cab driver was a black wearing a gold chain." There's also some bitchy girl who chills
Elaine
I read all the Nancy Drew books available (about 50) as a girl. I was challenged to "reread an old favorite" and thought I want to see if these are as good as I thought. Well, with a bit of suspension of disbelief, I actually thought it was still a worthwhile read. Thanks, Carolyn Keene for all those years of fun and suspense!
Charlene
I keep forget to add the books on currently reading until I finished them. oops.
Tabi34
It is what it is - another formula story about the girl wonder - Nancy Drew
Sydney
this was avery intresting mystery and adventourous
Sona
Really cool.this time a detective asks nancy to solve the mystery because he and his friends cant;)
Jessi
Nancy is a world traveler! To Africa! With fewer comments about Bess's weight! No, really, I don't think it was as bad in this book.
Nancy stumbles into a mystery when she learns that a fabricated gem containing a spider may be swapped out for the real deal. It belongs to an Indian gentleman but he is somehow in Africa? She, of course, solves the mystery, finds the gem and even locates the missing brother of a famous singer who was thought to have been mauled to death by lions but really made it
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Frank Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these series.
Tessa
Apr 02, 2009 Tessa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 10-13 year old girls
Recommended to Tessa by: Possibly Lexi
Shelves: fiction, mystery
I went through a phase where I loved the Nancy Drew series when I was 11 or 12. But eventually they do get a little tiresome because, like many series that have a very large number of books, (such as the Sackett series, etc.) they get repetitive. But I really did like the books, so I gave it four stars.
Maninee
Jul 01, 2010 Maninee rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Maninee by: debangana
Shelves: mystery
absolutely girlie, pedictable, story. carolyn keen's writing is as bad as ever. nancy was a perfect angel as usual. and so were all of her friends. and of course daring nancy solved a mystery that made no sense anyway. i'm an indian, and it was very hurtful to see the way carolyn spoke of us.
LuAnn
Adequate Nancy Drew travelogue mystery--this time to Kenya. Can a spider be trapped in a sapphire as in amber? Probably not in our world, but in Nancy's world where coincidences rule and Nancy can do everything, why not?
Ashleigh
This is one of the most realistic of the Nancy Drew books, although that doesn't say much. The danger they faced actually caused damage and they didn't come out unscathed every time for once.
A decent Nancy Drew mystery. Not as suspenseful as some, but still interesting. As with many Nancy Drew books involving non-caucasians there were definitely some racism issues.
Denesia
If I had to read mysteries, it would be about ghost or stolen jewelry, and this had the latter. BVut it was epic too cause I also enjoy car jacking and car chasing.
Linda
Nancy and her friends go on safari in Africa and get caught up in two baffling mysteries! Nancy is as brave and resourceful as ever in this volume.
Brittany Lopez
I was no fan of reading but girls in my class read nancy drew books and when I read it I got sick....... Of the nancyreaditis lol
♥ Sarah ♥
Jul 10, 2008 ♥ Sarah ♥ rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
Shelves: mysteries
Since I was born in September, I was drawn to this book when I first saw it. I did like it a lot, it was just another Nancy Drew book.
Shawnee
Nancy could have used a bunch of handcuffs to keep her party together and prevent them from being kidnapped or wandering off.
Joy Gerbode
Another predictable Nancy Drew mystery, but still a good story. A lot of information about African history and animals.
Megan Cullen
Read these as a child/teen, so I'm rating most of them a 3 merely based on the fact that I enjoyed them then. :)
Stacey
Very politically incorrect, but given the time it was written...it figures. Outlandish and unrealistic but a fun read.
  • The Haunted Fort (Hardy Boys, #44)
  • The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)
  • Trixie Belden and the Mystery at Mead's Mountain (Trixie Belden, #22)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew, #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)
The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1) The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew, #2) Nancy Drew: #1-64 The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3) The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)