Start by marking “The Mystery of the 99 Steps (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #43)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of the 99 Steps (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #43)

The Mystery of the 99 Steps (Nancy Drew #43)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,412 Ratings  ·  115 Reviews
Nancy must search for a flight of 99 steps to solve the mystery of a friend’s weird dream. Her search leads her to France, but before leaving the United States, a sinister man called Monsieur Neuf warns the young sleuth not to pursue her mission! While in France, Nancy and her father investigate a wealthy financier who has been frightened into selling large amounts of secu ...more
Published 1966 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the 99 Steps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the 99 Steps

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
What Book Got You Hooked?
255th out of 3,043 books — 8,485 voters
The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn KeeneThe Hidden Staircase by Carolyn KeeneThe Secret of Shadow Ranch by Carolyn KeeneThe Sign of the Twisted Candles by Carolyn KeeneThe Whispering Statue by Carolyn Keene
Nancy Drew Mystery Stories
17th out of 79 books — 79 voters

More lists with this book...

Namratha
She is not as finicky as Poirot and nor is she as condescending as Sherlock. But just like her fellow detectives, she has a fine brain under her well-coiffed locks and will always hold a special place in my long-buried girlish heart. When I came across an ancient, dog-eared, much-doodled Nancy Drew mystery at my library, I couldn’t resist picking it up.

In The Mystery of the 99 Steps , Nancy Drew is working on a dual case with her father, eminent lawyer Carson Drew. A lady called Mrs. Josette B
Mary Lou Hoffman
Jul 05, 2013 Mary Lou Hoffman rated it it was amazing
When I was about 10 or 11, my mother signed me up for a book of the month club. Every month, I received two Nancy Drew or two Hardy Boys books. Every month, they were both read in a week and I was asking when the next book would be there!
I thank my mother for recognizing and encouraging my love of reading.
John Yelverton
Sep 25, 2011 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another great addition to the Nancy Drew mystery book series.
Jocelyn
Apr 04, 2016 Jocelyn rated it really liked it
The Mystery of the 99 Steps is about Nancy Drew, Carson Drew (her father), and George (or Georgia) and Bess (best friends).

Nancy hears about a dream from a woman who lives in River Heights and goes to France with her best friends. While Nancy is searching for 99 steps from her friends dream she notices that one of the people she sees at a party is actually a man in disguise.

Nancy tries to figure out who the man is but can't figure out more than the fact that he has a twin brother in River Heig
Sarah Crawford
Jan 19, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it liked it
The story involves the ancient practice of alchemy, and the equally ancient practice of cheating people out of their money. In this case Nancy, George and Bess go to France to work with Mr. Drew who is trying to convince a financier to stop selling all his assets.

A woman Nancy knows has nightmares of falling down a long flight of stairs. As happens every so often, someone tries to stop Nancy from going to France by sending her a message. Even once in France someone tries to stop her and seems q
Laura Ellison
Oct 13, 2015 Laura Ellison rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, niece-book-club
I enjoyed the fact that Nancy got to go to France with her friends Bess and George and take on some seriously sinister characters, but I'm not sure I really bought the ending of the book. Without giving away spoilers let's just say that from the start you could tell that a financier was being hoodwinked in some way. When that way came to light, I just didn't feel like it was plausible. I mean, if a guy is smart enough to make it take far in business, I don't think he would fall for something tha ...more
LobsterQuadrille
Jan 16, 2016 LobsterQuadrille rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of good old Nancy Drew

This isn't my personal favorite of the Nancy Drew series, but it's a perfectly competent addition to the series, and still holds up as a light page-turner of a mystery. The characters are still in good form, and though the mystery plotline isn't always wholly believable, I still enjoyed the experience.
The Mystery of the 99 Steps is an engaging and intelligent mystery story with some nice creativity to its storyline, and though there is still a certain degree of predictability(serious
Dydionline
Jun 17, 2014 Dydionline rated it it was ok
I honestly love these books I just wished they were more detailed. I don't like how the author over reacts and adds !!!!! every time somthing "dramatic" happens. The plots ok but it ain't no match for teen fiction. I wish I knew more on Nancy's personal life and I wish there was a little more questioning suspects and a little less constantly reporting to the police. I don't really like that part it gets annoying. I like the characters (I don't LOVE them but what can you do?) but over all I wish ...more
Ingrid Hardy
Jul 15, 2015 Ingrid Hardy rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, series, mystery
Because of a Goodreads friend adding these books, it reminded me that I'd forgotten about them. How could I!! It's because of Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, and Andre Norton's Witch World series that I fell in love with fiction. (And Jack London's White Fang, and the Book Black Beauty, which made me cry).

These are dated tales, but they did the job for their time. Having a female lead was rather progressive for the day, even if many situations would cause a mutiny now... lol. What can I say, as a 12
Phe
Jan 29, 2015 Phe rated it really liked it
The Mystery of the 99 Steps is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 43rd book in the Nancy Drew series.

Despite warnings from a stranger, eighteen-year-old Nancy Drew and her friends set out for France to search for a flight of 99 steps that may help solve the mystery of a friend's strange dream and a possible case of blackmail.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent trips to our local library, which was
Lady Knight
I loved the Nancy Drew books as a kid. I voraciously read every one I could get my hands on. Reading this now, I'm struck by several things (some of which other reviewers have also pointed out):

1. The stereotypical characters
Every character is a 'type' to a tee. We've got the perfect one, the uber supportive parent, the impulsive tomboy, the part-of-the-family hired help, the fat friend, etc. When you're a kid you may not notice it, but as an adult you keep looking for flaws beyond the obvious a
Stephen Winchell
Aug 24, 2008 Stephen Winchell rated it it was ok
Minor spoilers ahead.

In reading old children's mystery/action/suspense books, I'm finding myself running into many similar "types". There's the supportive parent (usually the father), the comic relief, working class family member (a housekeeper, a cook, etc), etc etc etc. Out of the three big titles I've been reading (Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, and Tom Swift Jr), Nancy Drew has these types down to a science, and this book really highlights the weaknesses of writing with them.

We'll start with George
Brenda
Feb 25, 2013 Brenda rated it really liked it
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the other books I have read and the main reason for it would be tag-along helpers known as George and Bess. I mean I am all for her getting help from time to time, but the extra girls just ruined it for me, I mean they really served no purpose and slowed Nancy down.
This book starts with a dream from some lady, who is having nightmares about 99 steps, so Nancy believes finding these steps will help the lady stop having the dream. Only thing is, Nancy will have
Melanie
Nancy et ses amies vont a la France! And bien sur, they all speak French, because who doesn't? They go because some neighbor of Nancy's has a DREAM about 99 steps and so of course she freaks out and has Nancy go and investigate. I have recurrent dreams about the inability to open combination locks. Please help me, Nancy.

Anyway, Carson is helping a totally different client with an actual case in Paris at the same time, but apparently it has to do with this woman's dream. Creepy. And there are twi
Angie
Jan 10, 2015 Angie rated it really liked it
Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys is where my love of reading began. My mom bought me one of these books every couple of weeks and I loved them. I found this book at a book clearance for a library and I just had to buy it. It still was just as much fun to read now as it was when I was kid. My only regret is that I did not keep the books, I gave them away to my cousins when I was older.
Lydia Dyslin
Aug 08, 2015 Lydia Dyslin rated it liked it
This book was disappointing, considering it is one of the most popular books in the series. No action at all. I'll just stick with Trixie Belden from now on. Kind of sad I can find so many faulty things with Nancy Drew books now, I used to love them when I was little.
Caylina
Oct 03, 2015 Caylina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, mystery, ya
This was the first Nancy Drew book I read when I was younger. I remember looking in the school library for a book to read and picking this one. It was so good and got me hooked on Nancy Drew, mystery books and wanting to be a secret detective, haha.
Kenzie
Jan 19, 2010 Kenzie rated it really liked it
The mystery of the 99 steps is a very intreging book. Carolyn Keene is a fabulos writer she can really get you hooked in to her wounderous novel series Nancy Drew I have read many of her eye popping storys.She can write those special books you just can't put down.
The book is about the keen young adult Nancy Drew in a misson to solve the storys riddles she has to help a poor gentelman who was tricked in to giving money to a mad man. Will Nancy ever help the man? In this case with so little info
Christy
Dec 01, 2009 Christy rated it really liked it
I read this book with 7th grade student, and she loved it! Nancy Drew and her friends, Bess and George, find themselves on another mystery case, this time taking them to France. Nancy and her father both have mysteries to solve, but could their cases be connected? Nancy soon realizes that she is being watched; how long can she escape danger?

The text of this book provides great opportunity to learn new vocabulary--even a little French. This particular Nancy Drew mystery might be considered more c
Stephanie
Jun 06, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, children
The origin of this mystery was a little weird -to put it mildly but eventually I would say it got more interesting. I loved that it was set in France, and remember that it was a bit of a surprise as I wasn't expecting that, and since I'm lover of all (if not most) things French that didn't hurt one bit.

The story was quite delightful but a bit hard to keep up with, it kind of felt like a wild goose chase sometimes with Nancy flitting from one place to another and there were parts I had to re-read
A V
Dec 09, 2015 A V rated it it was amazing
I think that the mystery of the 99 steps was very good because it gave a very good case and was very interesting.I thought that it was interesting because I liked how adventurous it was.
Sonja
Dec 19, 2014 Sonja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
Melko vauhdikas Neiti Etsivä. En kovin montaa Neiti Etsivä -kirjaa ole lukenut, mutta aika lailla samankaltainen toisten kanssa mielestäni on. Mutta mukavaa ja helppoa luettavaa.
Artin Hakobyan
Jan 23, 2012 Artin Hakobyan rated it it was amazing
The Mystery of the 99 Steps by Carolyn Keene is about girl on a search for the flight of 99 steps to solve her friend’s dream, which takes her to France. On the other hand, before she leaves, a strange person named Monsieur Neuf tells the girl not to do the mission. I chose this book because when i first saw the cover of the book, I thought that it is a book filled with adventure just because of the cover and the title. “Earlier today we noticed that on the 99th step of the stairway from L’Orang ...more
Darcysmom
Aug 10, 2015 Darcysmom rated it really liked it
Another fun trip down memory lane. I love how self-sufficient Nancy and her friends are.
I hope that my kiddo loves these books as much as I did when I was a child.
Emerald Quilantang
Sep 07, 2015 Emerald Quilantang rated it liked it
I've grown to love all of Nancy Drew series. The Mystery of the 99 steps ranked as the first. The description about France is so enticing.
Kaethe
Jul 17, 2014 Kaethe rated it really liked it
Not as great as The 39 Steps, but more appropriate for younger readers
Eryn Paull
Jan 03, 2015 Eryn Paull rated it liked it
Nancy Drew is still my favorite titian-haired heroine, 35years later ...
Catherine Raphael
its very breathtaking when nancy traps the villain in the secret laboratory
Tabi34
Apr 08, 2015 Tabi34 rated it liked it
My quest to read all of the Nancy Drew series is nearly complete.
Nadia
Oct 15, 2014 Nadia rated it liked it
Still too much Mary Sue. I guess, I'm not reading any more of them :)
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
  • The Secret of Pirates' Hill (Hardy Boys, #36)
  • The Mysterious Code (Trixie Belden #7)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)