Start by marking “Do Over Dogs: Give Your Dog A Second Chance For A First Class Life (Dogwise Training Manual)” as Want to Read:

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  8 reviews
What exactly is a Do-Over Dog? It might be a shelter dog you're working with to help her become more adoptable. Perhaps it's the dog you've adopted, rescued, or even found running stray who is now yours to live with and love]]forever. Or it could be the dog you've lived with for years but you realize he still has "issues" that make him a challenging canine companion. A Do- ...more
Published June 25th 2010 by Dogwise Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Do Over Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do Over Dogs

It is a great read! A must for anyone who has a rescue dog that poses so tricky traits. My boxer/pit bull cross has a fear of loud noises, men, cars, trucks and much, much more. We are making great headway, but weather and travel have stymied our dog obedience classes.

I have read the Dog Whisperer books and they are good, but often he doesn't address some of the same issues I'm facing. I found this book very attainable and readable. After a short time trying to integrate some ideas I have seen
Pat Miller doesn't shy away from what makes "Do Over Dogs" so difficult to work with but easy to love. Her philosophy of positive behavior therapy is present throughout the book. What I loved was the actual tips on how to work with or train a do-over dog. I also loved how the book ended with people sharing their own experiences with rescue dogs, because after reading the book and struggling with my own new addition, I really needed that hope. Everything will turn out okay if I just keep working ...more
As usual, Pat Miller delivers amazing insights in this book. Pat's training methods (socialization, clicker training and positive reinforcement) are tried and true - on malleable puppies and dogs with unfortunate pasts.
Mary Nelsen
Pat Miller's contributions to the field of positive dog training have always been leading edge and extremely helpful to dog guardians. Do Over Dogs is no exception but especially timely for the many folks who are rescuing and adopting, now. Have to add very quickly that this book will also be helpful to someone who needs to rehabilitate some behaviors in their long term dog which could still be problematic. The ideal reader would be someone contemplating adoption as the suggestions for handling ...more
Rescue Me!
Noted dog trainer Pat Miller shares many great tips for training a "do-over dog" - a dog that's been rescued, found as a stray, or has developed behavior problems.
For those of us who have adopted dogs from the shelter or other rescue organizations, this book gives a detailed and honest look at some of the problems you might face. There is also a ton of useful information, practical advice and training tips. My favorite part, though, was all of the stories of real "do over" dogs at the end. I had to get out the box of Kleenex!
Peg Thon
I love the way Pat Miller thinks and I love the fact that she never gives up. Just with I had read this before I botched up a rescue by introducing her into the house the wrong way. Well, you live and learn and thanks to this book, I will be much better prepared!
Lisa Eirene
Great book. I skimmed and hit the highlights because it was a library book and I think it's worth buying!
Joshua marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Anne Gamble
Anne Gamble is currently reading it
Sep 26, 2015
Jeannette is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2015
Brittany Charlton
Brittany Charlton is currently reading it
Sep 02, 2015
Jen added it
Aug 27, 2015
Bill Pettersen
Bill Pettersen marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Jen Hydrick
Jen Hydrick marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Roxanne marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Jessica Wall
Jessica Wall marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Tracy marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Jean marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Mine! A Practical Guide to Resource Guarding in Dogs
  • Control Unleashed:  Creating a Focused and Confident Dog
  • Reaching the Animal Mind: Clicker Training and What It Teaches Us About All Animals
  • Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive Dog
  • How to Behave So Your Dog Behaves
  • I'll Be Home Soon: How to Prevent and Treat Separation Anxiety
  • Before and After Getting Your Puppy: The Positive Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy, and Well-Behaved Dog
  • Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide Interpreting the Native Language of the Domestic Dog
  • Feeling Outnumbered?: How to Manage and Enjoy Your Multi-Dog Household
  • On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals
  • When Pigs Fly: Training Success with Impossible Dogs
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training
  • Blind Hope: An Unwanted Dog and the Woman She Rescued
  • Help For Your Fearful Dog: A Step By Step Guide To Helping Your Dog Conquer His Fears
The Power of Positive Dog Training Squirrel's New Year's Resolution We're Going on a Book Hunt Substitute Groundhog Play with Your Dog (Dogwise Training Manual)