The Clue in the Crumbling Wall (Nancy Drew, #22)

The Clue in the Crumbling Wall (Nancy Drew #22)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  3,747 ratings  ·  60 reviews
While trying to locate a missing dancer who is about to gain a large inheritance, Nancy Drew finds a clue leading to the solution of yet another mystery.
Published February 1st 1945 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 1945)

The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn KeeneThe Hidden Staircase by Carolyn KeeneThe Secret of Shadow Ranch by Carolyn KeeneThe Bungalow Mystery by Carolyn KeeneThe Whispering Statue by Carolyn Keene
Nancy Drew Mystery Stories
28th out of 74 books — 57 voters
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally CarterHeist Society by Ally CarterOnly the Good Spy Young by Ally CarterCross My Heart and Hope to Spy by Ally CarterDon't Judge a Girl by Her Cover by Ally Carter
Best YA Spy/Mystery Novels
204th out of 358 books — 998 voters

More lists with this book...

Gregory Gerard
This has to be my all-time fave Nancy Drew mystery. It has an aging caslte, and hidden trails through the overgrown gardens, and boat trips up secret tributaries, and a cloister walk down to the beach, and a clandestine Poet's Nook...and on and on.

This is one guilty pleasure I do allow myself a grown-up read now and then on winter days by the fire.
John Yelverton
Yet another excellent addition to the Nancy Drew mystery book series.
Sara ♥
I remember reading this book when I was younger and really loving it. Don't get me wrong—it was cute and all—but not exactly something to write home about. Maybe it was The Mystery of the Moss-Covered Mansion that I really loved? (I'll try that one for the next challenge, as my "cozy" mystery...) The ending was a bit... anticlimactic to me...

Anyway, this book was a Nancy Drew version of Cinderella. The kind where Cinderella is a dancer who has been missing for 10 years, and in which the "prince"...more
Donna
Nov 26, 2007 Donna rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: young girls
Well, I met a woman who collects Nancy Drew books. I haven't read any in a long time. We exchanged favorite titles so I went to the library and got out my 2 favorites and hers. I read all three and they were better than I remembered. This was my absolute favorite from adolescent days. The descriptions of the estate was just as wonderful as I remembered. I was impressed that Nancy was an interesting young woman - not the pablum I kind of remembered. But I did notice the edits. She now drives a sp...more
Elfiegirl
This was pretty good, but it seemed that the clues were too far apart and weren't pieced together properly until the last second. I felt this way with The Secret of the Glowing Eye.
I've been reading a lot of Nancy Drews this summer because i get a thirst for some mystery each summer.
The one i would recommend is The Secret Of The Broken Locket or something related to the Broken Locket, but I think that one's my favorite and i have read it at least four times.
Natalie
I probably wouldn't hate reading these as a grown-up if I hadn't read them as a child. But they are a fun, nostalgic read for me. Even though Nancy's world is cliche and idealistic, it's sometimes comforting to turn to a book where you know everything will turn out a-ok in the end.
Jonny99
While the title suggests a chapter in book by "This Old House" author Bob Villa, in fact, Nancy and her tubby cousin and her transsexual cousin have stumbled into another mysterious location to investigate mysterious goings-on by mysterious baddies. The book hews closely to the Drew formula with Nancy and her crew of relations - including hunky Carson Drew - poking around River Heights and its environs trying to restore an inheritance to its rightful, youthful, owner; a formula well known to Dre...more
Phe
The Clue in the Crumbling Wall is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 22nd book in the Nancy Drew series.

During their attempt to find a missing dancer before the woman loses the opportunity to inherit a castle, Nancy and her friends uncover a plot to keep the woman from her inheritance.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent trips to our local library, which was less than a mile from our house. Like most...more
Luisa
Nancy Drew is on fire! This book was a definite re-read for me, but that's fine. To crack this case, Nancy and her friends needed to find a missing dancer who had just two weeks (or so) to claim the estate her dead fiance willed to her after her disappearance. There was nothing extremely stand-out about this mystery, but it was fun. I always thought it was so funny that Nancy seems to be better at *everything* than her friends are--I mean, she even outruns athletic chum George a few times in thi...more
Mr
Jan 20, 2009 Mr added it
Amelia HUrley NOvatny 181 pages
Nancy Drew is asked to help find a missing dancer who is suposed to inherit a castle. She finds out the lawyer is trying to keep the missing dancer from inheriting the castle. There is suposedly a clue in the crumbling walls, and they would like to find it. There is also suposed to be a way that no one can inherit the castle but the dancer. Nancy finds that this is a glass slipper put into concrete. The lawyer tryes to get someone else to inherit the castle, but Na...more
Caseyazalea
This was my favorite Nancy Drew book and the only one I remember well now, probably because I read it over and over again. I loved the gothic atmosphere of the old castle and the Cinderella story behind the mystery. I'm not sure if I should try reading it again now or just keep my younger-self's memory of it. We had the 1950's-1960's editions, not the later edited versions. I don't know if they would seem nostalgic now or just terribly dated.

Not going to add to my "read" list all the other Nanc...more
Kim
I found this one in a used book store on a trip to Ocean City MD. As a somewhat lonely only child, I loved all of the girl detective books - the community, the friends and families, etc. As an adult, I love the nostalgia aspects. I also have to laugh at the inconsistancies and outright ridiculousness of the stories - the fact that her dad never seems to be home (always on a business trip), that any police department she calls instantly believes anything she says and responds with undercover offi...more
Brian
This is one of my favorites. The first 1/3 or so of the book was pretty slow - I actually told my daughter I didn't think she would like it because it was so slow. But after that first 1/3 the pace picks up and this becomes a fast paced adventure story.
Brian Donaldson
the ending was wonderful it was also adventurous just like all others
Tabi34
I read this one as a break from my Stephen King novel. I needed to be a bit grounded. This one has Nancy trying to save a widow and her troubled little girl from their financial troubles while finding a famous dancer who disappeared 10 years prior.

For once there were no boys. Ok, Salty the singing calm seller and Mr. Drew. But this one was all Nancy, a female police Lt. and George and Bess. The manage to solve the mystery and save the day. While this one wasn't edge of the sit nail biting - it...more
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Franklin Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these seri...more
Elle G
I really liked it. Like all Nancy Drew books, there was a lot of suspense and mystery involved. I like how the author brings in different main characters in each book. You don’t always have the same characters. The author gives you clues to the suspect but doesn’t tell you a lot at once. It makes you want to keep reading the book to find out who is the culprit. I can never put down a Nancy Drew book!
Currently reading. Why? Because I just unpacked a box of Nancy Drews and was curious whether I would still like them. This edition was given to my mother as a present for her 11th birthday and holds an appropriately musty smell. While it was more fun to read when I was young (perhaps 11 also?), it's not poorly written, and is mildly entertaining.
Lorraine
This was my first Nancy Drew novel, which I received as a gift on my ninth birthday. Forty-something years later I managed to get a copy on E-bay and re-read it - it was still a good read. I do love mysteries about abandoned houses. Also learned about ink and mollusks!
Bridget
A gift for my niece, pre-screened. I read a whole box of these one summer as a child. Trashy reading for ten year olds... most of their allure was that they were first editions I found in the attic that had belonged to my aunt. A romantic even as a child...
Ruthie Jones
I read all the Nancy Drew books (and the Hardy Boys) when I was a child, but I will admit that I have read them all again as an adult (a few years ago). The stories are old fashioned, but that's why I like them so much.
Wraith Tate
I seem to recall that this was the first mystery story that I ever read. And I also recall not liking it very much. The only reason I did read it was because I had to for a fifth-grade book report.
Meadow
Great Book, Nancy has to find a famous dancer that disapeared at the height of her career. Then there is a secret inthe walls of an old mansion. It's a race to see who can solve the mystery first.
Greta
Nov 19, 2007 Greta rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: girls, friends of Nancy/camp
Probably the most romantic Nancy Drew ever. Not so campy as some, but high marks for atmosphere, romance, and imagery. Solid mystery and love combination made this a very piognant Nancy Drew.
Mary Jane
I rediscovered my Nancy Drew collection while at home. Although it wasn't as good as I remembered, I understand why I liked these books so much. Great vocabulary. Smart girl solving mysteries.
Jessi
Nancy, Bess, and George help solve the mystery of what happened to a famous ballerina whose lover left her a fortune. They also unmask an imposter and make it home in time for dinner.
10~11 Madison Markwood
This book gives you the exciting feelings all through out the book.It is like you do not know what there ganna throw at you next.I recomend to anyone who would want's to be blown away.
Rachel
REALLY loved this one! I read every Nancy Drew book when I was ages 9-11, and I really did love them. Some of them were a little stupid, but for the most part, I loved them all.
Leslie
I'm sure I red this as a child but didn'trecognize it. It ws written the year I was born - 1945 and meets one of thesummer challenges. It was fun and fast!
Yo Coleman
I forgot how much fun the Nancy Drew books were. This was one of my faves when I was a kid. There's something about creepy homes that's fun.
  • The Mark on the Door (Hardy Boys, #13)
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Headless Horseman (Trixie Belden #26)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str...more
More about Carolyn Keene...
The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1) The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew, #2) Nancy Drew: #1-64 [Complete Series Set] The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3) The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)