Start by marking “The Clue of the Black Keys (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #28)” as Want to Read:
The Clue of the Black Keys (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #28)

The Clue of the Black Keys (Nancy Drew #28)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,638 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
During an archaeological expedition in Mexico, two professors, the senior Dr. Joshua Pitt and young Terry Scott find a clue to buried treasure. The clue was a cipher carved on a stone tablet. Before the older professor had time to translate it, he and the tablet disappeared! Terry tells Nancy of his suspicions of a Mexican couple, posing as scientists, who vanished the sam ...more
Hardcover, Revised text, 174 pages
Published 1968 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about The Clue of the Black Keys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clue of the Black Keys

The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn KeeneThe Hidden Staircase by Carolyn KeeneThe Secret of Shadow Ranch by Carolyn KeeneThe Sign of the Twisted Candles by Carolyn KeeneThe Whispering Statue by Carolyn Keene
Nancy Drew Mystery Stories
22nd out of 79 books — 83 voters
Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline SusannRevolutionary Road by Richard YatesThe Best of Everything by Rona JaffeThe Feminine Mystique by Betty FriedanThe Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
Liz's Mad Men Reading List
7th out of 28 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Melanie
Apr 30, 2015 Melanie rated it liked it
A fun little mystery. It has been YEARS since I last read a Nancy Drew book and it was great to read this story. I liked the treasure hunt aspect and, of course, Nancy and her friends were great characters.
John Yelverton
Sep 23, 2011 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing
Dark mystery as Nancy Drew travels to Mexico to help solve and international mystery.
Treslyn
Jul 22, 2008 Treslyn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes mysterys
It's my first Nancy Drew book and now i'm hooked.... hey that rhymed!
Nick Baam
Nov 16, 2015 Nick Baam rated it liked it
A very strong entry. Nice characters, nice plot, a few exotic locales, Mr. Drew is very good, as usual, and the illustrations of Nancy some of the best, the young sleuth rarely looking better, save the cover illustration, which doesn't look like Nancy at all.
Travis
May 05, 2011 Travis rated it liked it
Shelves: classics, mystery
A 'okay' mystery that gives us some interesting bits of history and scenes in the Florida Keys.

What I found fascinating was how despite not being allowed to do anything too action-packed, because she's 'just a girl', or having any actual authority, Nancy is in charge of everyone and everything and seems to keep all the men in her thrall.

Her relationship with Ned has a weird almost sexual tension to it that is worthy of the 'Sex in the city' girls.
Madalyn Walker
Sep 02, 2014 Madalyn Walker rated it it was amazing
Calling this book a " good book " doesn't do it justice . The author , Carolyn Keene , keeps you in suspense throughout the WHOLE book . Nancy Drew , an amateur detective , is a mystery-solving , butt-kicking , 18 year old daughter of a criminal lawyer . These books are going to change the outlook of everything you take upon in the future . " The Clue of the Black Keys" is an original literature piece that keeps you on the edge of your seat . " Oh my gosh , they capture her " and " Plot twist " ...more
Julie
Jun 19, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I love Nancy Drew. I picked this book off my shelf out of nostalgia. Also, after reading Girl Sleuth, I have a new appreciation for the books. And anyway, who wouldn't love a book that uses the word rumpus?
Will Redd
Mar 31, 2015 Will Redd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still in that reliving childhood phase, this time mine and my mother's. This is one of her old Nancy Drew books that we found in one of my dad's storage buildings a while ago. Having grown up with the Hardy Boys, I wanted to also read some of Ms. Drew's adventures. They are just as fun.

This one takes Nancy on a trip to find ancient treasure and dastardly villains while on the search for a missing professor. There is danger at every turn, but our spunky young detective will not be swayed from her
Phe
Jan 29, 2015 Phe rated it really liked it
The Clue of the Black Keys is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 28th book in the Nancy Drew series.

When Nancy Drew is asked to find a missing college professor, she is drawn into a mystery involving three black keys.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent trips to our local library, which was less than a mile from our house. Like most young girls of a certain age (ahem), my love for mysteries started
Donnell
Sep 28, 2013 Donnell rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Only recently--i.e. August/September 2013--I discovered Connie Blair and her series of mysteries. After reading her first three mysteries, I grew curious as to how she might compare to my childhood fave, Nancy Drew.

Poor Nancy, perhaps it is adult hood jadedness but she seems shallow and unrealistic to me now. For example, while we frequently know Connie Blair's thoughts, including conflicting emotions such as when she longs to do one thing while another part of her feels she must do something e
Feb 19, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
The storyline was fun, but this wasn't one of my favorite Nancy Drew books. First off, I tend to prefer the books in which Bess and George are more involved with the mystery/helping Nancy. Also, all of the talk about the treasure destroying/saving mankind made the story seem a bit silly.
Briella Rose
Jun 17, 2015 Briella Rose rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ttr-2015
Nancy is very clever as she solves this mystery. She always investigates every clue to find the answer. I really liked this!
Christine Pia
May 03, 2016 Christine Pia rated it really liked it
Nancy goes on a quest to find a Mexican treasure that was reported to contain something that will be the end of mankind. :P
Sydney
Mar 21, 2015 Sydney rated it liked it
this mystery was kind of obvious. you know who the badguy is the whole time
Mskychick
Placeholder for reread of Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs
Kaethe
1988 Summer

Wow. It's been so long that I can't remember the mnemonic for remembering what the black keys are, or the white keys, either.
Teri
May 13, 2016 Teri rated it really liked it
This was a re-read of one of my favorites.
Melanie
Oh boy. These guys have these keys in order to unlock a treasure chest. When they find it it's full of little silver frogs, one of which contains a powder that is either a deadly herb or a restorative herb. (What with the sculptures full of magic potions that never expire?) Nancy goes to the Florida Keys and Mexico, neither of which are close to one another and the whole Florida Key thing is a strange diversion.

Nancy loses consciousness when one of the bad guys takes down a road construction sig
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Franklin Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these seri ...more
Emily
Oct 18, 2015 Emily rated it liked it
I just love Nancy Drew. It has all the cliches and imagery to create the perfect scenery for a daydream - in which I am Nancy Drew.
E.
Oct 18, 2015 E. rated it liked it
Impossible, really, to rate Nancy, because I read and loved her so much as a kidlet; she shaped a lot of my own writing I think. Kick-butt girls on adventures.
Nancy Drew Girl
May 27, 2016 Nancy Drew Girl rated it really liked it
Any Nancy drew is a rating of five
Stephanie
Feb 21, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, children
I really enjoyed reading about this adventure of Nancy's and I found reading about her treasure hunt to be quite thrilling especially when she came across clues that seemed impossible to figure out.
Katie
Mar 11, 2012 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-childhood
Nancy Drew, man. She's the best. I read that book about the history of Nancy Drew, and it inspired me to want to read one of the old books because it had been so long. Anyway, I pretty much enjoyed this book, and I can see why they'd be so popular with little girls. Nancy is a proactive and capable heroine who does whatever it takes to solve a mystery. She's pretty great!
Mia Ruggiano
Jul 30, 2008 Mia Ruggiano rated it really liked it
This book was good, but I thought that it had a good beginning and an ok middle and an ok ending. The beginning was great and the beginning of the middle was pretty good but it got to the end to quickly. It was like Nancy Drew was searching and then all of a sudden after like one or two clues she found the answer! Overall, though it was pretty good.
Ivy
Oct 18, 2009 Ivy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-books-read
My mother gave me my first Nancy Drew book when I was a kid and I have loved them ever since. Nancy was my first introduction to mysteries and I have never looked back. She is as good today as she was all those years ago. She is a whole lot braver then I would have been in this case. She keeps going even when the bad guy has really come on strong.
Jessi
Apr 25, 2010 Jessi rated it liked it
Nancy is hired by Terry Scott, a professor, to help figure out the mystery of the black keys. They're supposed to unlock a fantastic secret. But two of the keys have been stolen and he needs some help to solve the mystery. Nancy even gets to travel to Florida and do some digging on an island in the Keys.
Vibha★
Feb 20, 2013 Vibha★ rated it really liked it
4stars

I always liked these Nancy Drew books.Still remember sleeping with a flashlight under the blanket because I needed to know what happened in the end.Carolyn Keene did not disappoint with this book but this was definitely not her best work.
Aiki
Jul 17, 2012 Aiki rated it it was amazing
This was the very first Nancy Drew book I've read that I bought in a bargain store. I was in 4th grade back then and I thought becoming a detective like Nancy would be awesome. Turns out in real life becoming one aint easy. So much for childhood fantasies.
Annice22
What can I say, Nancy always find a good mystery to solve and some how manages to get herself right in the thick of things. I love reading these Nancy Drew books because they are a quick read but still fun to read.
  • The Clue of the Broken Blade (Hardy Boys, #21)
  • The Mystery Off Glen Road (Trixie Belden, #5)
  • Trixie Belden and the Mystery of the Missing Millionaire (Trixie Belden, #34)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)