Start by marking “Why Not?” as Want to Read:
Why Not?

Why Not?

When his mother repeatedly tells him not to bother the other animals, Barnaby the kitten always asks: "Why not?"
Paperback, Large Print
Published March 24th 2003 by Farrar Straus Giroux (first published March 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Why Not?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Not?

Jennifer Heise
Feb 20, 2014 Jennifer Heise rated it it was ok
Shelves: beekman
Well, I liked it, especially the illustrations; but my five year old -- despite letting me read it to him twice-- says it's not all that good and no, he wouldn't want to take it out of the library again.

The defiant kitten (which I think is why my boy dislikes it), responds to his mother's every request not to hassle the barnyard animals with "Why Not?" The animals respond less than positively, until he runs away and gets stuck between two haybales. Fortunately, he is able to wiggle loose before
Esmoi
Feb 18, 2010 Esmoi rated it liked it
A mischievous kitten bothers a bunch of barnyard animals and then makes a narrow escape when they chase him. There's no moral or real point to the story--in fact the kitten is disobedient throughout (it's kind of like The Pokey Little Puppy except without any resolution). Wormell's illustrations have a pleasant, old-timey feel, reminiscent of picture books from the early half of the 20th century (even though this one was written in 2000). We thought it was fine enough, but one reading was plenty ...more
Eva Leger
Jul 29, 2011 Eva Leger rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: julias-books
Why Not? is about a cute little kitten who gets several reminders from his Mother and some other animals along his way home. Reminders on not to bother the other animals. Barnaby isn't the best at listening so he has some close calls on the way.
Julia and I laughed quite a few times, mostly at the way the other animals come at Barnaby. The illustrations and big and bright and engaging.
I'd recommend for kids younger than Julia. At almost 6 she's a little older for this. Maybe from young to old tod
Keia Arnold
Jan 13, 2012 Keia Arnold rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
I didn't find much value in this book. It could potentially spark conversation about why adults tell children not to do certain things. Other than that, I didn't think this book has very much academic value.
Bailee Morillo
This was a simple book but I liked it because it would be good for a first grade class room level. There aren't many books that children can read on their own and I think this is a decently easy one for children. And it can relate to the children who are mischievous.
Amanda
May 03, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
I loved the woodcut illustrations on this one and my 5 yr old son liked the story- even asking for an encore reading. He had read it on his own first (huddled by the nightlight after lights out) and told me it was really good, so that always bodes well in my book.
Bea
Bea rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2011
Marissa García
Marissa García rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2014
Michele Reno
Michele Reno rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2011
Katherine
Katherine rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2014
Sebi
Sebi rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2013
Iamaby En
Iamaby En rated it it was ok
Apr 10, 2016
Courtney
Courtney rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2015
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Georgiana
Georgiana rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2011
Mandira
Mandira rated it it was ok
Aug 08, 2014
Ashley Hancock
Ashley Hancock rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2015
Curtis Jensen
Curtis Jensen rated it liked it
May 08, 2012
M
M rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2013
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2014
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was ok
Jun 05, 2008
Judy Wang
Judy Wang rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Sofia
Sofia rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2011
Leta Huffman
Leta Huffman rated it did not like it
Apr 17, 2012
Keaton Robertson
Keaton Robertson rated it it was ok
May 15, 2016
Megan
Megan rated it it was ok
Apr 15, 2014
C.
C. rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Cressalyn Davis
Cressalyn Davis rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2013
Jaleigh
Jaleigh rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2013
Katie Newton
Katie Newton rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2016