Start by marking “The Hidden Window Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #34)” as Want to Read:
The Hidden Window Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #34)

The Hidden Window Mystery (Nancy Drew #34)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,019 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
Nancy is intrigued by a magazine article offering a large reward to anyone finding a missing medieval stained-glass window. She invites Bess and George to join her on a search in Charlottesville, Virginia. During the girls' investigation of Ivy Hall, an old rundown, southern mansion, rented by a superstitious actress, they encounter a hostile ghost. Eerie sounds come from ...more
Hardcover, Revised text, 179 pages
Published 1975 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Window Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden Window Mystery

The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn KeeneThe Hidden Staircase by Carolyn KeeneThe Secret of Shadow Ranch by Carolyn KeeneThe Sign of the Twisted Candles by Carolyn KeeneThe Whispering Statue by Carolyn Keene
Nancy Drew Mystery Stories
29th out of 79 books — 84 voters
The Mystery at Lilac Inn by Carolyn KeeneThe Secret of Red Gate Farm by Carolyn KeeneNancy's Mysterious Letter by Carolyn KeeneThe Sign of the Twisted Candles by Carolyn KeeneThe Clue in the Diary by Carolyn Keene
Everything Nancy Drew
67th out of 140 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Laura Verret
May 06, 2015 Laura Verret rated it really liked it
must. find. hidden. window.

The Story.

When Nancy Drew reads an advertisement for a lost stained glass window in the newspaper, her imagination is entirely diverted. The design of the window is historically unique, and the window itself holds great intrinsic value as the legacy of a proud English family. Nancy decides to track down this window with the help of her friends, Bess Marvin and George Fayne, but it becomes increasingly obvious that someone doesn’t want her to find the window…

But who cou
John Yelverton
Sep 25, 2011 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing
Yet another great mystery story to this add to this great book series.
Claire S
I read a bunch of these as a girl, along with a few Hardy Boys, and even a few.. was it 'Bobbsey twins'? Not sure if I read this one or not, but came across it as a grown up.
Thought I'd explore how well they stood the test of time with my daughter - not well. In our case.
But perhaps some others do still find them fun.
For that instance, thought I'd mention a few things.
This one takes place in a mansion in Charleston, SC; which has a number of interesting features. One set of features has to do w
Mary
Jan 24, 2014 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: girl-detective
keywords: peacocks, cousin Susan, ghosts, Charlottesville, stained glass, trap doors, Alonzo Rugby, convertible crash

This is the first original text Nancy Drew I've read and it's heavy on racist white lady yearnings for The Way Things Were:

When the maid left the room, Susan smiled and whispered to the girls, "I try to make things easier for Beulah but she insists upon working and serving everything the old-fashioned way. I must confess, though, that I love it."

Annette pointed out the old slave
Phe
Jan 29, 2015 Phe rated it really liked it
The Hidden Window Mystery is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 34th book in the Nancy Drew series.

A magazine article offering a large reward to anyone who can find a missing medieval stained-glass window intrigues Nancy Drew. She asks Bess and George to join her on a search in Charlottesville, Virginia. And before the three friends leave River Heights, their adversary tries to get them to postpone the trip. But no such luck, as Nancy is determined to carry through her
Tabi34
Jan 25, 2013 Tabi34 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nancy-drew
This Nancy Drew had a different "feel" to it; maybe because Nancy changed her hair color - she's now a blonde. There is more danger in this book and people are seriously - but not too seriously injured. Her cousin is in a car wreck that was no accident.

This one is set down South and the neighbors are fairly genteel, except the bad guys and girls. We find that while Nancy has been dating Ned for awhile now and he's totally in love with her (although he never says it), she's willing to play the f
Elaina Carsten
Nov 01, 2015 Elaina Carsten rated it really liked it
This book was okay. I didn't really like it because the plot was in my opinion really boring. Otherwise the book was really good. I liked the mystery book because I usually like all mystery books, but this one wasn't my favorite.
Lana Naboulsi
Dec 06, 2015 Lana Naboulsi rated it it was amazing
Finished reading this story today, it's really amazing. I advice everybody to read Nancy Drews' mystery. They're thrilling and addictive
Lizzy
Sep 09, 2013 Lizzy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Mystery Lovers
I have a couple things to say about this book. First, just recently while I was reading this book, my mom came into my room and saw me reading Nancy Drew like always and said: "Are you all Drewed out?" and I rather bluntly replied, "No I'm Drawn out if anything." The next thing is that I've learned that in all the Nancy Drew books Nancy is always hit in the head and then instead of reacting like me own brother did when he got hit on the head with something really hard, she says something like: " ...more
Mackenzie
Apr 28, 2015 Mackenzie added it
Shelves: mystery
I chose this book because I loved Nancy Drew books when I was in elementary school. I thinnk kids would enjoy reading it in the classroom
Sydney
Feb 22, 2015 Sydney rated it really liked it
this mystery is kind of obvious. except for that the book was pretty good
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Franklin Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these seri ...more
Melanie
Secret passageways and a hidden tunnel! And not available for kindle!
Someone breaks into a house where the girls are staying and steals their lingerie. No joke.

Nancy destroys yet another boat.

Racism! I think this rewrite probably turned the house help from black to unambiguously raced, but they talk like mammies. Also, apparently peacocks are evil and bring bad luck.

Nancy loses consciousness when hit by a rock thrown by an unknown assailant. George cuts her hand on glass and falls into water.
Heather
Mar 09, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
on the edge every chapter with this one. the child i read it for will love this one. it is longer than she's used to so i hope she reads it all the way. this one was very entertaining.
Bitsy
Mar 30, 2016 Bitsy marked it as to-read
1956
Taylor Wood
May 04, 2015 Taylor Wood rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is a great mystery book. It is for more advanced fifth grade readers.
Kelsey Thomson
Sep 17, 2014 Kelsey Thomson rated it liked it
Not the best nancy drew book. A bit predictable
Ziah Stonova
Apr 26, 2016 Ziah Stonova rated it it was amazing
I love this book!
Elle G
Dec 21, 2010 Elle G rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this Nancy Drew book. It was like all of the other books, but with a different mystery, of course. I only gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because there were a lot of little mysteries. There is a main mystery Nancy tries to solve, and then there are others. There were so many others that I got confused when they were talking about specific people. I didn’t know which mystery they were a part of. That was the only thing that bothered me, otherwise I enjoyed the novel.
Yna Fempia Paez
Aug 10, 2013 Yna Fempia Paez rated it liked it
Not particularly one of my favorite Nancy Drews.

When I was little, I used to think that Nancy Drew was super smart and perfect. But that's just it. Now that I'm older and able to comprehend, I realized, she's just too perfect. And that she isn't exactly smart, her friends are just dumb. Blame it on this book for making it too obvious for me.

Anyway, a classic is a classic so as long as I haven't got my hands on the complete Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, I ain't gonna stop.
Sydney Wirebaugh
This book is okay. The reason I don't like it that much is because the plot is all over the place. It is hard to keep up with all the different characters. In this one book there is about three different mysteries. First it starts with Nancy Drew going to visit her aunt, then while she is there she is hit with a mystery by her aunt's friend. Then she gets another mystery and then yet another one. I think Carolyn Keene just put to much into the
Nicole Bennett
Oct 13, 2014 Nicole Bennett rated it liked it
Kind of a boring one!
Jessi
Oct 08, 2010 Jessi rated it liked it
#34! Only 18 left.
This book is about Nancy trying to find a long lost stained-glass window. She sees a magazine article about a $10,000 reward for a long-lost window. She travels to North Carolina to the last known place that the family who had owned the window had lived.
I don't know how those authors packed peacocks, an actress, hidden passages, great manors, stained-glass artists into a small book but they did.
Betty
Aug 28, 2012 Betty rated it it was amazing
Read and re-read this entire series as a young girl, and still have the entire set of (yellow) books circa 1960s. My dad built me a bookself with a shelf just the right size to hold my collection. I have to say I enjoyed the series. Also read the Bobbsey Twins, some books about Annette Funicello, and some other older mystery books in the same genre as Nancy Drew (Dana ? I think, very fuzzy.)
Meredith
May 27, 2016 Meredith rated it did not like it
Shelves: middle, cville
"Did you know there was a Nancy Drew set in Charlottesville?" is the question I asked everyone I met for about a week after I found out. I was like a woman possessed. I had to read it - the only Nancy Drew I have ever or will ever read - simply curious. I didn't need to bother ... what little local color there was had no relation to the real location. Pity.
Bailee
Oct 14, 2008 Bailee rated it really liked it
This is a great book for all mystery fans!!! There are so many mysteries in this book, and with so much going on, you will never want to put the book down! This time around, Nancy heads up to West Virginia to try to find clues to two mysteries, but she ends up getting involved in more! But make sure you pay attention, or else you can get really confused!
Mary Lou Hoffman
Jul 05, 2013 Mary Lou Hoffman rated it it was amazing
When I was about 10 or 11, my mother signed me up for a book of the month club. Every month, I received two Nancy Drew or two Hardy Boys books. Every month, they were both read in a week and I was asking when the next book would be there!
I thank my mother for recognizing and encouraging my love of reading.
Mikayla
Mar 03, 2015 Mikayla rated it really liked it
Shelves: nancy-drew, mystry
This mysetey was nice an interesting, it kept moving and kept me guessing about some stuff. The only thing I didn't like was that at about 50% It felt like they were trying to throw in way to many myterys and it got confusing! Maybe it was just me, anyway, it was still a very good, classic Nancy Drew.
Cailie
Nov 22, 2009 Cailie rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
This book is about Nancy Drew finding a stained-glass window that was apparently hidden in the old castle where it comes from. She also gets accused of steeling 100 dollars from her new neighbor, even though it is illegal to send money through the mail. Are the two incidents linked, I have yet to find out.
Mary
Aug 02, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing
Loved rereading a Nancy Drew book. Many things have changed in the new version (she doesn't drive a blue roadster any longer!) but the story line is identical. I read this book first in 1955.
  • The Happy Valley Mystery (Trixie Belden, #9)
  • The Gatehouse Mystery
  • The Clue of the Broken Blade (Hardy Boys, #21)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)