The Mystery at the Ski Jump (Nancy Drew, #29)

The Mystery at the Ski Jump (Nancy Drew #29)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  3,108 ratings  ·  48 reviews

Book Details: Format: Hardcover Publication Date: 1/1/1980 Pages: 192 Reading Level: Age 8 and Up
Published January 1st 1952 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery at the Ski Jump, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery at the Ski Jump

The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn KeeneThe Hidden Staircase by Carolyn KeeneThe Secret of Shadow Ranch by Carolyn KeeneThe Whispering Statue by Carolyn KeeneThe Bungalow Mystery by Carolyn Keene
Nancy Drew Mystery Stories
20th out of 74 books — 60 voters
The Clue of the Tapping Heels by Carolyn KeeneThe Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn KeeneThe Hidden Staircase by Carolyn KeeneThe Bungalow Mystery by Carolyn KeeneThe Mystery at Lilac Inn by Carolyn Keene
Everything Nancy Drew
37th out of 154 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Madeline
Every girl needs to go through a Nancy Drew phase at least once. For me, that was when I was in 6th grade and read...I don't even know how many of these books. At least eight, I think.
This one sticks out in my mind the most because over the course of her ski-related escapades, Nancy taught me something that I still consider really important: how to signal an SOS with a flashlight after you've managed to escape the abandoned cabin in the middle of the woods where The Bad Guys tied you up and lef...more
Sheryl Tribble
Tried to read a Nancy Drew book a few years back and it was all "you can't go home again," but when I was indexing them last week I noticed I had an original and a rewritten volume of The Mystery at the Ski Jump, and I thought it'd be fun to compare the two. I've done that with some Hardy Boys mysteries where the only connection between the original and the rewrite were a few names; the plot had been entirely changed.

In this case, however, they were essentially the same; the rewrite was missing...more
Mary
Hypers, I'm definitely George.

This started mostly as nostalgia-reading, but now I'm super interested in the Grosset & Dunlap edits and the feminist politics (and failures) of Nancy Drew.

keywords: mink furs, stolen identity, Aunt Eloise, skiing, Canada, telegrams, near-death Nancy, Mizti Channing
John Yelverton
Unique Nancy Drew story, as Nancy chases after a thief and a con artist masquerading as Nancy Drew!
Julie
I saw the library added a ton of Nancy Drew e-books, and with the Winter Olympics happening, what better flashback to childhood than the Mystery of the Ski Jump?

First of all, it wasn't about a ski jump at all. That was like two pages of the whole book.

Second, it's so interesting to read a book like this written in the...past. I almost thought about classifying it as historical fiction! I would be so interested to talk to a current pre-teen reading these older versions of Nancy Drew. It probabl...more
Alyssa
I was a HUGE Nancy Drew fan as a kid and thus this is not the first time I've read this one, but as I was looking for a "book from a beloved childhood series" for my reading bingo and was feeling inspired by the Winter Olympics in Sochi, I chose this one. I remembered it involved mink pelts and skiing, but not much beyond that. It's fun to read these again as an adult--coincidences and things I thought nothing of when younger are kind of hilarious now, as are some culture-of-a-different-era thin...more
Phe☽♃
The Mystery at the Ski Jump is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 29th book in the Nancy Drew series.

Nancy Drew's sleuthing finds her looking for an unscrupulous door-to-door fur saleswoman with counterparts whose trails take Nancy and her friends from New York to Canada.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent trips to our local library, which was less than a mile from our house. Like most young girls of...more
I didn't love that the mystery revolved around the fur trade, but overall this was a good Nancy Drew book. I like that all of Nancy's friends were involved in solving the mystery, and I also liked that they travelled around a lot during the book. I tend to find these books more entertaining when Bess, George, and the boys are involved and/or when the whole story doesn't happen in River Heights.
Melanie
The captcha on this book is full of weird errors, more than most of the other books. And Nancy is a decent ice skater but not really impressive on skis, even though she won a novice slaloming competition a year before the book takes place.

A phony stock scheme, like book 23 and 25. If you read these sequentially, the tropes recycle way too quick. Also Nancy's identity is stolen like in book 4. And of course, she's kidnapped and bound and gagged again when the people she's with turn their backs fo...more
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Franklin Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these seri...more
Brandi Rae
So ridiculous and coincidence filled....and yet still just fun to read.
Kendall
Another great Nancy Drew book. I love the skiing and ice skating aspect. I did not like that Nancy had no part in her saving at the end.
Ambika ɀסּϛסּ
The most ridiculous Nancy Drew book I ever read but one of my favourites.
I loved averything about it. The travelling,the snow,the skating,the fur swindle. It's the book I'll curl up with when I'm looking for a minute alone.
The coincidences!!!
It was getting ridiculous after a while. I'm not going to say anymore but you read it and tell me.
Melissa
I just love Nancy's world, where the good guys all look honest, the bad guys have beady-eyes and pencil-thin mustaches, criminals put their return addresses on their mailings, and yet it still takes an 18-year-old amateur detective to round up a theft ring. Gotta love it!
Mimi
Kept you kind of hanging in the beginning, but the ending just EXPLODED. But nice as that is, it wasn't quite as good as other Nancy Drew's that I've read. An okay if you like the type of story that unfolds slowly, but I like a faster, more dangerous kind of mystery.
Maryann
Nov 10, 2009 Maryann rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenagers
Shelves: nancy-drew
Another wonderful Nancy Drew adventure, this one cuts it a little too close for Nancy. Her relationship with Ned still remains and someone's selling stolen fur pieces. Nancy investigates, finds herself a suspect and in terrible danger.
Anita Carty
I was so captivated by this book at a young girl that I missed dinner, my mother kept calling for me and I was too involved in the story to even hear her! I am a total Nancy Drew fan, read them whenever I need something fast and light
Stephanie
I still enjoy Nancy Drew books as an adult...reminds me of my youth. :) This isn't one of my favorites, but you still have to smile at Nancy and her antics as a defender of all that is good.
Abby
Nancy is tring to find the clues to the mystery of Mrs.Channging.Mrs.Channging has a team to help her along the way. If you like Nancy Drew books or mysterys you will love this book.
Stacey
I like how this book has nothing to do with a ski jump. They make it to the ski jump half way through and then its just the setting. Love it.
Kimberly
Jul 25, 2010 Kimberly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any Nancy Drew fanatic
Cool Nancy Drew I waited forever to read but then it wasn't as good as I wanted. Oh well. Isn't that always how it goes?
Julian
Feb 27, 2010 Julian rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nancy drew fans
Missing mink coats fake stock another impersonation can Nancy solve the mystery
Ingrid
a fantastic story to remember. mysterious things nancy needs to find... stay tuned!
Tamia
I enjoyed this book, it was very mysterious!
Hope you read this book soon!
Jessi
Somebody's selling stolen furs and Nancy's going to Canada to find out who.
Catherine Woodman
I read every single one of these growing up--I thought she was the bees knees
Christine
Fun to read during a ski trip and re-connect with your inner Nancy Drew.
Jenn
Fun to revisit, but man Nancy really had a lot of resources:)
Victoria Chafin
Not my favorite of the nancy drew books, but it was pretty good.
Joy Gerbode
Typical Nancy Drew ... solving the mystery, getting into trouble.
  • The Clue of the Screeching Owl (Hardy Boys, #41)
  • The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)
  • The Mystery of the Uninvited Guest (Trixie Belden #17)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str...more
More about Carolyn Keene...
The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1) The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew, #2) Nancy Drew: #1-64 The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3) The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)