Start by marking “The Road Home: The Aftermath of the Great War Told by the Men and Women Who Survived It” as Want to Read:

Best-selling author Max Arthur has compiled the first-person accounts from veterans of the Great War into a fitting commemoration. Starting from the moment the guns all fell silent, the aftermath of World War I and its mark on history are reflected in the stories of the brave soldiers of the British, German, French, and Russian armies.
Published November 2nd 2010 by Phoenix (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Road Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Road Home

Since the late 1990s, there have been a spate of books in the market on the First World War, re-examining its effects on the present day and hearing again the voices of its dwindling number of veterans.

Now, with the passing of the last veteran 5 months ago, they are all gone and with them, that living link to a world that now seems to many of us living today as remote as the days of antiquity. This book offers the reader the opportunity to hear, in the words of soldiers and civilians alike, thei
Jan 28, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
I had a hard time reading this book for long periods of time. It's not hard to read or difficult to follow, but depressing. I hope a book like this is written for every war or conflict. This book is personal experiences of World I soldiers, women and conscientious objectors. I discovered this book while watching World War I 100 year commemorations. A woman read a passage from her great grandmother who lost four sons who watched the Cenotaph being dedicated in London. These men and woman are hone ...more
Aug 16, 2013 Graceann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
If you're familiar with Max Arthur's other works, you know that he is a master at bringing together disparate voices that discuss a single, large event. In this instance, he has focused on the people who served in the trenches and at home during The Great War.

The book begins with how different people experienced the Armistice itself, and ends with thoughts on the legacy of the War. Very fittingly, the final two entries are from Henry Allingham and Harry Patch, who were the last two British vete
Linda Wallis
Jan 11, 2013 Linda Wallis rated it it was amazing
If you have a relative who was injured or died in the First World War, then I highly recommend you read this book.
It has possibly answered some questions about my grandfather & his injuries.
What I found really sad was that the treatment of the returning troops hasn't changed.....they came home to poor treatment and in some cases no job, no home, no money etc. and we are still treating our troops in the same way now in a lot of instances.
Kazimiera pendrey
this was a great read as there is nothing quite like reading about a historical event writen by the very people who lived through it as this is the only way you can get a true insight into what it was really like i would recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in the first world war
Heather Mcmillan
Mar 28, 2014 Heather Mcmillan rated it really liked it
It has become my obsession to understand what happened in the day, weeks, and months after the war ended. This book tells that story in the first person accounts.
Yvonne rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2012
John Mullen
John Mullen rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2013
Gemma Digweed
Gemma Digweed rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2012
Luis Peluffo
Luis Peluffo rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2012
Mr J Benson
Mr J Benson rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
Louise Rodden
Louise Rodden rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Jenn rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
cherry daly
cherry daly rated it it was ok
Aug 09, 2015
Joanne rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2015
Lisa Dornell
Lisa Dornell rated it it was ok
Jul 24, 2015
Anne-Marie rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2016
Max Arthur is an author who specialises in first-hand recollections of historical events. He has worked closely with the Imperial War Museum to bring together two books in the Forgotten Voices series, Forgotten Voices of the Great War and Forgotten Voices of the Second World War. Prior to becoming a writer, he served with the Royal Air Force and for some years was an actor.
More about Max Arthur...