Start by marking “Judaism for Everyone: Renewing Your Life Through the Vibrant Lessons of the Jewish Faith” as Want to Read:

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  62 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
In "Judaism for Everyone" Shmuley Boteach imagines a future in which his religion provides a locus of spirituality for men and women of all faiths. This sounds like a pretty good future. In some religions the purpose of life is to perfect oneself, Shmuley begins. For Judaism the purpose of life is the healing of the world. So, in the same way that Buddhist and Hindu tradit ...more
Unknown Binding, 481 pages
Published May 14th 2014 by Not Avail (first published 2002)

Jillian
Finished, finally.

This was a difficult book for me to get through, because Boteach is very repetitive. Even within the same paragraph, he'll use the same phrase as though it's a new thought, and he has a tendency to rearrange the words of an old sentence to make a new one. Thus, much of the book feels like padding.
In addition, I have to soundly reject some of his conclusions. Notably the "benign sexism" and misogyny inherent in his argument that women should joyfully accept their place in the ho
Missy
Sep 08, 2009 Missy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People seeking a new faith
Shelves: stop-reading
I did not engage with this book. I love the concept and I was very excited to better understand more about Judaism from the point of view of Boteach. I think his introduction had too much rhetoric about conversion to Judaism and about how Judaism is THE religion/way of life to follow. I did not want to read the book to be recruited, I wanted personal growth and knowledge. I found other works and television works by Boteach to be very approachable and charming. He is a clearly devote man with an ...more
Wendy
Aug 07, 2009 Wendy added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wendy by: I heard the author on the radio and liked him.
Here's a few quotes from the book.

"The deepest loneliness is the fear that we will never be fully known, that there is no one who can truly fathom our depths or fully grasp our pain, that no one will ever join us in our deepest spaces."

"Restraint, discipline, and a commitment to self-mastery are the foundations of religious life." (a bit redundant perhaps, but he makes the point)

"The primary purpose of every leader is to take away the excuse from each of us who wants to renounce a virtuous life.
Fredrick Danysh
An overview of the Jewish faith. It covers what Jews believe as well as explaining some of their religious beliefs. While not a Jew myself, it gave me a wider understanding of Judaism.
Don Gubler
Aug 23, 2012 Don Gubler rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
We can learn so much from each other if we would only listen.
Kris Siegel
Aug 23, 2011 Kris Siegel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jewish-books
An important book. Rabbi Boteach is a great teacher.
Candice
Candice marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Katy Taylor
Katy Taylor rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Katy Harvey
Katy Harvey rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Néstor Maíz Borrelí
Néstor Maíz Borrelí rated it really liked it
May 17, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
April
April marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Abby
Abby added it
Apr 14, 2016
Jennifer Cassell
Jennifer Cassell rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2016
n.r. lines
n.r. lines marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Martin Goldberg
Martin Goldberg rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Sefi Hadayo-brodach
Sefi Hadayo-brodach marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Lore
Lore added it
Jan 12, 2016
Tina Santana
Tina Santana marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Sibongile Mdluli
Sibongile Mdluli marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Tim Downie
Tim Downie rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2015
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, named by Talkers Magazine as one of the 100 most important radio hosts in America, is a nationally syndicated talk show host, the international best-selling author of 15 books, and an acclaimed syndicated columnist.

A winner of the London Times highly prestigious "Preacher of the Year" award, Rabbi Shmuley has lectured and appeared in print, radio, and TV all over the globe.
More about Shmuley Boteach...