Start by marking “Sex, Death and Oysters: A Half-Shell Lover's World Tour” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Sex, Death and Oysters...

Robb Walsh

Sex, Death and Oysters: A Half-Shell Lover's World Tour

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  21 reviews
When award-winning Texas food writer Robb Walsh discovers that the local Galveston Bay oysters are being passed off as Blue Points and Chincoteagues in other parts of the country, he decides to look into the matter. Thus begins a five-year journey into the culture of one of the world’s oldest delicacies. Walsh’s through-the-looking-glass adventure takes him from oyster ree
Kindle Edition
Published (first published October 28th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sex, Death and Oysters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sex, Death and Oysters

Hilary
I enjoyed the first half of this book, but by the end, it was a chose to finish. Although each place he traveled to was fascinating and an interesting history related to oysters, the book's format became something like: "and then I went here and ate oysters. Then I went here and ate oysters. Then I went here and ate oysters. . ." Just stopped caring.

Also, I was disappointed that the author made light of the environmental impacts. Both in the overall destruction of oyster beds across the globe an
Aurore Labenheim
Awesome info for the oyster lover that I am. Being in the Midwest it is really hard to find oysters in their prime and a lot of the ones I had in the past in Chicago were flavorless. I always thought that the smaller oysters of the West Coast were the only ones that could provide this salty, briny flavor I love si much to balance the sweetness of the meat. I now know it has everything to do with seasonality. Great food book, filled with recipes and good addresses.
Marcus
This book is a great guide to oysters for novices and more experienced oyster lovers alike. I was given it as a gift with Hog Island Oyster Lover's Handbook: An Insider's Guide to Choosing, Preparing and Enjoying Oysters Each chapter focuses on a different oyster destination and their different types of oysters and they are explained through interesting personal narratives and anecdotes. Some of the locations the book touches upon include California, France, England, Ireland, and Canada. I'd hig ...more
Tony Espy

This is a good read for anyone who loves oysters. The author travels around the world tasting local oysters, talking to people in the oyster business, and sharing tales of festivals, parties, recipes, and bars/restaurants. He also discusses myths and traditions of the various oyster cultures around the world.

I honestly would've given the book four stars, however as the author skipped New England almost completely ( except for a chapter on Long Island Sound / Norwalk, CT ), three it is... Finally

Joie Mikitson
Food writers, sheesh. Mr Walsh, you love your new wife and you love Texas, I get it, but this book was supposed to be about oysters, not a rambling ode to your own tastes and wit. I wanted a micro-history about my delicious little obsessions that taste like the ocean, and instead I got rambling, conversational bias. I found myself actively distrusting and even disliking the author by the end, though he is quite possibly a lovely person in real life. Although there definitely are some interesting ...more
Laurel
As much as I enjoyed reading about Walsh's travels all over in pursuit of the most delicious oysters -- THANK YOU, Robb Walsh, for sticking up for our beloved Gulf oysters! As a reader of the Houston Press, I've followed Walsh's writing for years, and this book did not disappoint, either in its scope or its sheer joy. I love oysters, and I love how this book made me love them more.
Sara
Never thought I would learn this much about oysters in my lifetime. I'm still not sure if I am any more or less inclined to eat them, but I will certainly never look at an oyster bar menu the same way again. I must say, my favorite thing that I gleaned from this impassioned foodie tale is the word aquaculture. I plan to start using it frequently.
Herzog
Since I've been to Le Dome, the Acme Oyster House, Zuni Cafe and Casamento's, this book really resonated for me. I also enjoy oysters so it was very educational. As a former resident of Houston, I read Walsh's restaurant reviews and always enjoyed them. He's very open minded, adventurous and fun loving. It was a lot of fun to read.
Donna Jo Atwood
I don't know what made me pick up this book--I take that back. The title made me do it. I don't like oysters, but this book had my saliva flowing. This is a combination travel book, oyster business guide, and cook book.
I found the writing entertaining and the info interesting. I still don't like oysters.
Kristina
Great stories and tour of the oyster's world- from ocean to plate. Now, I will be far more curious as to the real origin of those Blue Points and the trendy name brand oysters. The book's recipes also looked intriguing and I must say that I now want to make a winter trip to Galveston to bring back a bag of oysters.
Jeff
I've eaten raw oysters only once in my life, and found it similar to swallowing phlegm with Tabasco sauce -- but Robb Walsh still made me hungry for the little suckers, and if that isn't the mark of a good food writer, I don't know what is. (read for Popdose review)
J.C.
I wasn't sure if I could "stomach" a whole book about oysters, but this was very entertaining. More a travel book that centered on oysters, it is well worth a read esp. if you are in a location/culture that prizes oyster consumption.
Walsh is an edgy, refreshingly unpretentious voice in food writing, and I hope to encounter more of his work. I only skimmed this, but particularly enjoyed its visual guide to the world's five different species of oysters.
J
Considering what's happening right now in the Gulf of Mexico with this horrible oil spill - this is great book to pick up and see how horribly effected by this disaster the oyster farmers and fishermen are going to be.
boyoung
Educational and informative, but tended to be dull at times. Would only recommend to those interested in replicating a similar foodie adventure that criss crosses the globe.
Jada Tullos
Entertaining and educational. Robb Walsh did a great job going into the science as well as the oyster cult(ure). Good Texas author!
Daniel
A great tour of bivalves around the world. If you think you know your oysters, think again and read this book for some great insight.
Awesome in the beginning. Turned repetitive. Interesting concept and learn a lot, just couldn't hold my interest in finishing.
Andrew
Mar 28, 2010 Andrew rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Food fiends
Really cool overview and exploration of my favorite food. Learned a whole hell of a lot.
Chrystie
learned alot. want to go to Galway Oyster Festival!
Paul
I plan to re-read this book...

Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Nephrael
Nephrael marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Vanwhelan
Vanwhelan marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Kiri Carini
Kiri Carini marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Ashleigh
Ashleigh marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
  • A Geography of Oysters: The Connoisseur's Guide to Oyster Eating in North America
  • Death by Cake (The Lost Secret, #1)
  • Spice: Flavors of the Eastern Mediterranean
  • The Foie Gras Wars: How a 5,000-Year-Old Delicacy Inspired the World's Fiercest Food Fight
  • The Big Fat Duck Cookbook
  • Six Thousand Years of Bread: Its Holy and Unholy History
  • How I Learned To Cook: Culinary Educations from the World's Greatest Chefs
  • Bread Alone: Bold Fresh
  • Gingerbread for Liberty!: How a German Baker Helped Win the American Revolution
  • Logic Made Easy: How to Know When Language Deceives You
  • The Boozy Baker: 75 Recipes for Spirited Sweets
  • Chasing the White Dog: An Amateur Outlaw's Adventures in Moonshine
  • Ivy Briefs: True Tales of a Neurotic Law Student
  • Serve the People: A Stir-Fried Journey Through China
  • Gastroanomalies: Questionable Culinary Creations from the Golden Age of American Cookery
  • The Big Oyster: History on the Half Shell
  • The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook: Stories and Recipes for Southerners and Would-be Southerners
  • Coffee: A Dark History
Robb Walsh is the author of four previous Texas cookbooks, including The Tex-Mex Cookbook. He is also the food critic for the Houston Press.

More about Robb Walsh...
The Tex-Mex Cookbook: A History in Recipes and Photos Are You Really Going to Eat That?: Reflections of a Culinary Thrill Seeker Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook: Recipes and Recollections from the Pit Bosses Texas Eats: The New Lone Star Heritage Cookbook, with More Than 200 Recipes The Texas Cowboy Cookbook: A History in Recipes and Photos