Start by marking “Over My Dead Body” as Want to Read:
Over My Dead Body

Over My Dead Body (Nero Wolfe #7)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  1,806 ratings  ·  65 reviews
When a Balkan beauty gets in trouble over some missing diamonds, whom else can she turn to but the world-famous Nero Wolfe?Especially since she claims to be Wolfe's long lost daughter!The stakes are suddenly raised when a student at this woman's fencing school ends up dead after a pointed lesson.As Wolfe and his sidekick, Archie, thrust and parry into a tangle of documents...more
Published July 21st 2010 by Bantam (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Over My Dead Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over My Dead Body

Jane Stewart
Not as good as previous books, but ok.

I love some of the things Archie does and the way he and Nero think. If you’re new to this series, I suggest reading Fer-De-Lance and Some Buried Caesar before reading this - only because I think they are better. They are all stand alones.

Two female immigrants come to New York and teach fencing. One is accused of stealing from a customer. Two men end up dead.

The audiobook narrator Michael Prichard was good.

DATA:
Narrative mode: 1st person Archie. Unabridged a...more
Nancy
This is a serviceable Nero Wolfe mystery newly available for Kindle. Just right for reading on a trip, I thought. The mystery revolves around Wolfe's long lost adopted daughter and intrigue in the Balkans. However this book didn't grab me like some Wolfe mysteries. Perhaps because the reasons for my trip were not all happy ones, no book could have been 5 stars.
Glenn Harris
Another fine Nero Wolfe mystery, this time involving a young woman suspected of murder and claiming to be his long-lost daughter. I confess that I sometimes tire of Archie Goodwin; he can be too much of a wise-ass and it's hard to get past the various bigotries of the day that he displays so vividly. Still, the mysteries are always good and Wolfe is a unique character.
Elaine
Nearly too many suspects to keep up with. Unique plot based on (I guess) Mr. Stouts experience in politics. Discovered that Mr. Stout is where most of those classic detective icons come from.
Tonileg
So my mother loves Rex Stout and his Nero Wolfe series of mystery books, my entire childhood of vacations always started and ended with one of those books in her hand as we flew over the Pacific ocean. So it might be come as a surprise to know that I only read my first Nero Wolfe book today when I fly with my own children over the different oceans in the world.
I liked it. I did not like it as much as Dorothy L. Sayers's Peter Whimsy books nor as much as my youth defining Arthur Conan Doyle's Dr....more
Bruce
I'm a big fan of Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe series, but haven't read one in quite a while. Wolfe and Archie Goodwin are, in my estimation, the best detective team since Holmes and Watson. Over My Dead Body isn't a strong detective story per se, but is a hugely enjoyable escapade related in Goodwin's incomparably witty and buoyant narration.
Nan Silvernail
What Flummery is this?! Can it be that Nero Wolfe has a daughter, let alone one who is accused of the theft of some diamonds and then of a murder? If she is his daughter, he hasn't seen her since she was three years old and he didn't find her on his last attempt to search her out. Against a background of Balkan intrigue can he prove she is innocent, whoever she is? Will Archie Goodwin marry the Boss's Daughter and become Wolfe's Son-In-Law? Pfui!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...more
Mmyoung
This book never really came alive to me. Perhaps the problem was that it was before the US entered WWII but after the war had broken out in Europe/England. It is less that the war casts a shadow on the book than the fact that the lack of shadow stand out. Wolfe is portrayed as a man who had lived much of his life in Europe and yet even when he makes amadversions aimed at the Germans and their allies in the Balkans this seem rather mild given the reality of what was happening in that part of the...more
Hobart
All things considered, this is not my favorite in the series, though I admit to reading it at least bi-annually. It should be noted that "not my favorite" roughly equals a grade of B-.

This is the first time we get a feel for Wolfe's politics (and can guess at Stout's), although it's difficult to discern everything Stout's trying to say because of my lack of knowledge about politics in the area around Montenegro pre-World War II. One day I keep telling myself that I'm going to look into that and...more
Benjamin
I am trying to go through all the Nero Wolfe stories in order, largely because my favorite author P.G. Wodehouse was a big fan; I read up to Some Buried Caesar some years ago and apparently forgot about the project. Obviously I have picked it up again. If you haven't read Nero Wolfe before, I'm not sure this is the one I would start on, but you should start on one of them. I don't think the detective genre was ever done quirkier or better.

This one was written in 1940, and while there is some pr...more
Adam
For all I know, this may be a fairly mediocre novel among the dozens of Nero Wolfe mysteries that Rex Stout wrote. But I've only read one other (so long ago that I don't remember the title), and I found this book tremendously entertaining.

Raymond Chandler said, famously, that Dashiell Hammett "took murder out of the Venetian vase and dropped it into the alley," marking a distinct break with mode of mystery writing invented by Poe and popularized by Conan Doyle. Stout's discovery was not as an in...more
Peggy
I am a hopeless Rex Stout fan, so I am almost never disappointed in these classic novels. In this book, international intrigue involving the Balkins in the 1940's bring two immigrants to the U.S. One of them claims she is the adopted daughter of Nero Wolfe, famous PI. When a murder occurs where the girl works, Nero and Archie become involved. I enjoy the banter between Nero and Archie, Wolfe's right hand man. I enjoyed the twists and turns in this book that kept me guessing till the end.
Rusty
Ah, the delight of these old mysteries. This one involved the murder of two men with a good deal of suspense and international intrigues to complicate the issue. Nero Wolfe and his assistant, Archie Goodwin, work hard to unravel the mystery surrounding the deaths. Wolfe is asked to help a young woman named Neya Tormic who claims to be his adopted daughter. She is accused of stealing diamonds. It seems that she stole nothing when the man accusing her says he found the diamonds after all. Then he...more
Krista
This was the first Nero Wolfe book that I've read, and I enjoyed it more than I expected. The pace was fast and the dialogue was rollicking and crisp. Also, the use of some of the slangy words that aren't in today's mainstream vocabulary made me laugh. It was published in 1940. With it's plot of a Balkan princess, spying involving Nazi's and British agents and international finance it was quite a prescient storyline for the time it was published.

There were a few slang words used in reference to...more
Marcy
Ah, this is more like it: good ol' Nero Wolfe and Archie. I may have read this one before but, if so, I didn't remember it. An enjoyable read.
Castiron
I’d read one of the Wolfe novels several years back but wasn’t really grabbed by it. After watching and enjoying the dramatizations of the Nero Wolfe mysteries with Timothy Hutton and Maury Chakin, though, I decided to read one that I’d seen on screen. While this book isn’t making me want to buy the entire output of Mr. Stout, it was a very fun read. Goodwin’s voice is great (“alphabet piano”, heh!), and the mystery was much more understandable than it was in the movie version. (Pause for Yet An...more
Audrey Southorn
I enjoyed this boos very much because I had never thought of Wolf as having family. It had a bit of international flavour.
Biblioworm
Очень люблю книжки Стаута - детективы в абсолютном вакууме, т.е. по всем законам жанра ситуация максимально изолирована, характеры героев предельно функциональны.
Легкие шутки, очень нетривиальный ангийский (книги Стаута заставляют раздуваться стопки карточек для запоминания в Anki.. читая обычные триллеры вообще ни одного незнакомого слова не встречаю).
Но конкретно эта история чуть хуже среднего - тут как-то очень все завязано на попытку создать Вульфу прошлое.. что по моему вообще недопустимо...more
NC
Maura
i suspect if I had never read a Nero Wolfe book before, I would be giving it 3 or 4 stars. but the characterization just felt soooo off to me and I couldn't get past it. (this is a relatively early book in the series, so i guess Mr. Stout was still settling in?) Archie is much more belligerent than usual, Cramer wouldn't shut up, Wolfe threw too many verbal zingers that were really more in Archie's style.

all that aside it's a fun little mystery and shouldn't be avoided or anything. it just didn'...more
Heather
Mar 24, 2008 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in fencing and Eastern European history, mystery lovers, snarky people
Recommended to Heather by: Chip
Shelves: audiobooks, mystery
I'm addicted to Nero Wolfe mysteries. I thought of Scott and Pat often when listening to the audio adaptation of this one, with their loves of Eastern European history and fencing, as those two elements play huge parts in this book.
The mystery itself wasn't too difficult; I found I'd guessed right about almost everything, but the narrative voice of Archie Goodwin and the reparte he exchanges with Wolfe and especially the homicide inspector are great. I snicker out loud often when I read, listen...more
Ed
#7 in the Nero Wolfe series. Rex Stout was nothing if not prolific. Between #7 published in 1940 and #6, Some Buried Caesar (1939), Stout had four other novels published. In addition to the mystery, this novel will serve as a period piece with it's showcasing of pre-WWII tensions.

Nero Wolfe series - Nero is visited by a girl claiming to be his daughter. She becomes a suspect in a death at a fencing salon and Wolfe agrees to investigate. There is also a political side issue with the conflict of E...more
jennifer
A young woman from the Balkans turns up in Nero Wolfe's office, screaming that he needs to save his daughter. This is news to both Wolfe and his assistant Goodwin, the narrator of this story, who learns a little more about his employer's past.
The mystery starts off with a diamond theft and leads to murder, and Wolfe's professional reputation could be ruined if his daughter is guilty.

This is my first Nero Wolfe and I love the snappy 30's dialogue where the law men greet each other with "Go to hel...more
Eileen
Standard Nero Wolfe & Archie Goodwin fare - and by standard, I mean fantastic. This isn't my favorite of the Nero Wolfes, so I don't give it 5 stars, but any one of these is better than almost any other detective novel I've read.

I've read all of these before, but after seeing the musical "City of Angels" this weekend, I needed to read an account of a true hard-boiled detective with a heart of gold. Ah, Archie, how I've missed you.

I may need to spend the next few months re-reading them all.
Jeannette
My husband really loves the Nero Wolfe books. He likes the way the characters talk, especially Archie, and he likes the rather unconventional way that Wolfe solves crimes (he never leaves the house). As for the mysteries, they aren't very compelling. As I am not as enthralled by the 1930's language, this book was a bit sub-par for a mystery. I just sort of ploughed through it, working my way to find out who did it. The ending was satisfying, but not in a way that I had anticipated.
Marge
I love these books as much for the snarky banter between Archie and Wolfe as for the mystery and murders. In this book add a touch of police Inspector Cramer who arrives and will not leave, Balkan intrigue, and Wolfe's long-lost adopted daughter, and I really enjoyed the tale. Set in the late 30's, the stories are somewhat dated, but if you can ignore some of the baggage of those times, it's well worth the read.
Jon
The mystery itself is just so-so, but you get some interesting insights into Wolfe's past.
Aaron
Classic 30's mysteries can be good even if written in America instead of England. This book has the whodunit style I like from Agatha Christie mixed with a hip 30's American style. Archie Goodwin is probably the coolest detective's assistant ever. Archie is not just there to be the dumb foil to the brilliant detective, he is the muscle, the wit and the charm of the Nero Wolfe series.
Stven
Aug 27, 2008 Stven rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes mysteries
I believe this is the seventh Nero Wolfe novel, and it is of course a good one. (The series as a whole gets five stars!) Stout's cast of characters is still just a leeetle bit rough around the edges, but Archie pulls some good tricks and keeps up the repartee in satisfactory style. This is the murder in the salle d'armes and fills us in on a bit of Wolfe's Serbo-Croatian background.
  • Murder in E Minor
  • Out on the Cutting Edge (Matthew Scudder, #7)
  • The Wycherly Woman
  • The Case of the Baited Hook
  • The Big Sleep  and Other Novels
  • Confess, Fletch (Fletch, #2)
  • Dress Her in Indigo (Travis McGee #11)
Rex Todhunter Stout (December 1, 1886 – October 27, 1975) was an American crime writer, best known as the creator of the larger-than-life fictional detective Nero Wolfe, described by reviewer Will Cuppy as "that Falstaff of detectives." Wolfe's assistant Archie Goodwin recorded the cases of the detective genius from 1934 (Fer-de-Lance) to 1975 (A Family Affair).

The Nero Wolfe corpus was nominated...more
More about Rex Stout...
Fer-de-Lance (Nero Wolfe, #1) Too Many Cooks (Nero Wolfe, #5) Some Buried Caesar (Nero Wolfe, #6) The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe, #2) Black Orchids (Nero Wolfe, #9)

“Wolfe could get sentimental about it if he wanted to, but I don't like any stranger nosing around my private affairs, let alone a nation of 130 million people.-Archie Goodwin” 3 likes
“It strikes me, sir, that you are nearing the point where even a grateful American might tell you to go to the devil.-Nero Wolfe to an FBI Agent” 1 likes