Start by marking “Investment Biker: Around the World with Jim Rogers” as Want to Read:
Investment Biker: Around the World with Jim Rogers

Investment Biker: Around the World with Jim Rogers

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  615 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Legendary investor Jim Rogers gives us his view of the world on a twenty-two-month, fifty-two-country motorcycle odyssey in his bestselling business/adventure book, Investment Biker, which has already sold more than 200,000 copies.

Before you invest another dollar anywhere in the world (including the United States), read this book by the man Time magazine calls “the Indiana
Published April 8th 2003 by Random House Trade Paperbacks (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Investment Biker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Investment Biker

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
My Favorites
230th out of 378 books — 120 voters
The Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas TalebMargin of Safety by Seth A. KlarmanThe Stock Market Outsider by Philip FanaraTomorrow's Gold by Marc FaberValue Investing by James Montier
Investing And Wisdom
29th out of 30 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris
This book really covers a lot of ground, geographically, historically and from an investing standpoint. The base story itself is pretty incredible, traveling across 6 continents on a motorcycle, which no one had ever done before. The book does a good job of keeping moving with a mix of historical context, current economic activity, and personal anecdote for each country they pass through. While obviously needing to limit scope in many places, Rodgers does a very good job of highlighting the key ...more
Alec
When Jim Rogers was a kid growing up in small town Alabama, he had a dream: to one day get richer than God and ride around the world on a motorcycle with a hot blonde half his age. He was a strange kid -- and, let's be honest, pretty unoriginal.* Regardless, Jim Rogers accomplished that dream and wrote an interesting, informative book about it. I'd almost call it lovely, but if "lovely" also had anti-communist connotations.

*Note: Any information about Jim Rogers' childhood thoughts is purely spe
Steve Bradshaw
A fun romp around the world on a motorcycle with quick insights into the many different countries along the way. After reading this book i would seriously consider overland biking the world myself! It's hard not to be impressed reading about his forays through the Congo, the Sahara, Siberia, the Australian outback and Asia minor.

Unfortunately, the author comes across as self-promotional and a touch arrogant at the outset of the book (not helped by the fact he's brought a young blonde along for
Greg
I remember reading a review of Mickey Rourke starring in a boxing movie, after Rourke had tried boxing semi-professionally for a short while. The reviewer said something like "for a boxer he's a pretty good actor; for an actor, he's a pretty good boxer." I had half that feeling with regards to Investment Biker. For investment advice, it’s a pretty fair account of adventure touring, but even for an adventure touring book, it’s not an especially good source of investment advice.

Jim Rogers has had
Anthony
Jan 07, 2008 Anthony rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: person interested in world finance
I read this book quite a while ago but i remember it was excellent. It was motivating because this stock market guy stopped all that he was doing in the US and decided to travle around the world with his girlfriend on two motorcycles. Along the way he visited foreign stock exchanges, met with presidents of major business there, and invested in countries he though would do well in the future. This book was an exciting read because he mixed world travel and adventure with gaining wealth...which ev ...more
Luke Ethan
Read this book for the combination of travel tips and whatever investment idea Jim Rogers had. With this expectation, it did not disappoints, the book educate the best ways to cross borders and the often required "fee" question to smooth the borders checks.
Jim Roger observation of human nature in the various countries reinforce his economic principles of less government restriction is the better method to allow economic growth. He have some ideas on the best industries to buy into in a growing c
Heidi Siefkas
Interesting tale of a U.S. couple traveling around the globe on two BMW bikes.
Lots of flat tires, spills, beautiful sights, smells....
They start in NYC and go to Ireland across Europe and Asia to Japan. They double-back over through Siberia and head South to Africa, the Sahara to South Africa, but there was no stopping there. The two continue to NZ and Down Under with the last leg starting at the Strait of Magellan in South America and cruising, falling, and fearing until NYC.
To be honest, it go
dr_set
An interesting book that gives a small recount of the history, culture, geogaphy and current situation of a great number of countries that the autho visited durinng hes trip. He also includes some investment insights. An enjoyable read, its amazing to see how little danger they faced even in the most remote and war plagued countries. Certanly change the way i think of travel and the world in general.
Diane
Disappointing read. I read it a while ago and was very much looking forward to it based on Jim Rogers legendary status in the markets. However, this book, for me, really couldn't decide what its purpose was. Was it a personal account of Jim's travels? Was it investement focused? Suffice to say, because of its lack of commitment to both, it succeeded as neither. I was disappointed because I expected more from Jim Rogers' brilliance. It was a slow, long read.
Julie
I notice that none of the reviews seem to be written by motorcyclists,only economists. The biker viewpoint is what initially attracted me to this book. Mr. Roger's attitudes regarding the places he visited with his focus on economic scouting for profit was so alien to the way I feel about motorcycle travel that I found it fascinating. I was surprised that someone so concerned with structure and schedules could even enjoy motorcycle travel.
Russell
Billionaire business partner of George Soros travels the world on a motorcycle and reports his observations.

Very insightful into how economics is viewed by captains of industry. They really have no interest in a place where everything seems to be running smoothly. Those places have no where to go but down. He was much more interested in places where a reliable infrastructure was the rule of law, he felt that development was inevitable.
Prizgar Gonzales
Jim Rogers is one of my favorite teachers. Truly a remarkable man. I have emulated his adventurous spirit and you might also after reading this book. His simple prose exudes magic. A fearless spirit, comfortable with his billions, at ease, drifting into an African village, at midnight, eating sautéed snake. Be warned, if you live in a provincial cocoon you might grow wings of freedom. Go brave!
Russ
Jim Rogers comes off as an arrogant jerk in his TV appearances, interviews and books. HE is opinionated and self-righteous. If you can put that aside, he tells an entertaining tale of his trip around the world by motorcycle. It is dated and most of his predictions missed their mark. I still enjoyed hearing about places that I'd never want to visit. This is not an investment book.
Turaaa
Jim rogers drives his bike for amazing distances around the world, and making observations about the economy of each country he visits.
While the topics of world travel and the world economies are very interesting, the book has many flaws.
It is quite dry, rarely mentioning what he thinks or feels , and without many descriptions of the countries he visits besides the economy.
Jose
good book about a rtw trip on a motorbike at the turn of the century. he went with his girlfriend (up to a point, when she decided to return to the US). A bit self indulgent sometimes, but inspiring for those akin to financial markets and travelling. some good insights about the economies of then developing countrie.s
Tanner
This is not only a story of famed investor Jim Rogers, but also provides bits and pieces of things such as his investment and economics philosophies.

This book takes you on a complete journey around the world, leaving the reader wanting to step away from arm-chair traveling in order to experience the world as it is.
David Kessler
How do you get across the border? Can I plan a trip on all continents where i can ride my BMW motorcycle?
He is having too much fun with his early retirement. Traveling across just Siberia on his cycle would be a kick.
Investing in equities in any country that would sell them.
Nishant Parikh
A good book to read for those interested in history , geography and economics. Since this book was written in 1990s , from an investment perspective, it may not hold true. I would strongly recommend reading this book. Keep an Atlas in front of you. will make things easy
Elizabeth
This took me longer to read than it should have, but I cannot claim to be well versed in history or economics. It makes for interesting reading now, due to having been written in the late 90s...in regard to which predictions he made came true and which did not.
Tony Taylor
Jim Rogers became a Wall Street legend when he and George Soros founded the Quantum Fund. This is the fascinating story of his 1990 investing trip around the world by motorcycle, with many tidbits of hard-headed advice for investing in foreign markets.
Spencer Hill
Interesting read. It's both a finance book and a travelogue. The problem is it doesn't complete the job for either. If you are interested in basic international and commodity investing this would be a very basic primer on what to look for.
Davehbo
The first half was interesting. Jim Rogers is a brilliant commmodities broker. He rode a motorcycle through Russia and Africa in 1991, and his insights and big picture views are still pertinent today. Don't need to read the whole book.
Katherine Woods
This would have easily earned five stars if the author had not been such an intolerable ass. That being said this book finally ended a very naive lifelong flirtation with Socialism and for that I will always be grateful.
Michael
A fun read of a guy who decides to drive around the world on his motorcycle. He is a mulionaire from a poor background, He knows about the world markets and woith each stop he gives us his impression of the economy.
Austin
Great book by/about a wealthy guy who traveled around the world on his motorcycle giving his insight on the economic realities of the countries through which he traveled, and the interrelatedness of the global economy.
Chris Schaefer
This book has an interesting story idea, but it didn't reach out and pull me into the adventure. I recommend looking at other reviews before reading. I put this one down early and did not want to finish it.
Fox Charlie
Great travelogue from the point of view of a successful capitalist who circumnavigates the globe on a motorcycle. Although the trip took place in 1990-91, many of his insights are valid today.
Marc Rocket
My first book by Rogers. Turned me into a fan. I love the book because it's a great adventure plus I learned about world economics. I suggest it to anyone.
Martha Bohn
This book was so much fun and made me wish I could also travel 69000 miles on a motorcycle with a friend through many countries and cultures!
Eric
You can always get a better idea of the country from a black market entrepreneur than from a official...or something to that effect.
  • Inside the House of Money: Top Hedge Fund Traders on Profiting in a Global Market
  • Hedgehogging
  • The New Market Wizards: Conversations with America's Top Traders
  • Beating the Street
  • Technical Analysis Explained: The Successful Investor's Guide to Spotting Investment Trends and Turning Points
  • The Interpretation of Financial Statements: The Classic 1937 Edition
  • Devil Take the Hindmost:  A History of Financial Speculation
  • The Complete TurtleTrader: The Legend, the Lessons, the Results
  • The Alchemy of Finance
  • Unlimited Wealth: The Theory and Practice of Economic Alchemy
  • Running Money: Hedge Fund Honchos, Monster Markets and My Hunt for the Big Score
  • Money Masters of Our Time
  • Fooling Some of the People All of the Time: A Long Short (and Now Complete) Story
James Beeland Rogers, Jr. is an American investor and author, currently based in Singapore. Rogers is the Chairman of Rogers Holdings and Beeland Interests, Inc. He was the co-founder of the Quantum Fund with George Soros and creator of the Rogers International Commodities Index (RICI). He has travelled around t
More about Jim Rogers...
Adventure Capitalist: The Ultimate Road Trip Hot Commodities : How Anyone Can Invest Profitably in the World's Best Market A Gift to My Children: A Father's Lessons for Life and Investing Street Smarts: Adventures on the Road and in the Markets A Bull in China: Investing Profitably in the World's Greatest Market