Start by marking “Silos, Politics and Turf Wars: A Leadership Fable about Destroying the Barriers That Turn Colleagues Into Competitors” as Want to Read:

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,012 ratings  ·  97 reviews
In yet another page-turner, "New York Times" best-selling author and acclaimed management expert Patrick Lencioni addresses the costly and maddening issue of silos, the barriers that create organizational politics. Silos devastate organizations, kill productivity, push good people out the door, and jeopardize the achievement of corporate goals.As with his other books, Lenc ...more
Published June 3rd 2010 by Jossey-Bass (first published February 17th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Silos, Politics and Turf Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silos, Politics and Turf Wars

Christina Saldivia
Lencioni is a good writer. Highlights:
1. Silos occur because executives fail to give their employees a compelling context for working together
a. Without this, everyone moves in different directions, often at cross purposes
b. Every assumes their own activities are in the best interest of the company and don't understand why others aren't doing the same
c. They begin to resent each other
2. Dissolve Silos by creating a thematic goal: A Rallying Cry.
a. A Thematic Goal - a single, qualitative fo
Daniel Silvert
Lencioni knows a good formula when he finds it: Pick a thorny subject like Silos, Meetings, Team Dysfunction, spin a story that illustrates the ins and outs of the issue in the real world, then boil it down to a quickie model that readers can immediately use – whether they’ve actual read the preceding fable or not.

While not at the level of his best selling work, ”The Five Dysfunctions of a Team,” this is a valuable addition to the subject and quandary of organizational silos. The story revolves
CJ
I think of Lencioni's little books as the romance section of the business genre. They're quick to read, easily digestible, and actually have some salient points, I just don't know how readily you can apply those points to your own business situation.

Silos, Politics and Turf Wars deals with the way people try to protect "their" areas when they feel threatened. I'm sure everyone works with someone who is territorial and defensive when they're asked probing questions or to explain something more co
Neil
More narrowly focused than The Five Dysfunctions of a Team but, like that book, and engagingly written way to make sense of how to rally a team around a shared course of action. One great part of it is that Lencioni recognizes that forward-looking efforts take place alongside ongoing operations, so the model for making progress over 6, 9, 12 or 18 months shouldn't ignore enduring concerns—even if on their own they won't provide a sense of purpose or help an organization make a big leap forward i ...more
Bruce
From the author of "The Five Dysfunctions of a Team", Peter Lencioni, comes a fictionalized account of Jude Cousins a fledgling management consultant as he struggles to find the key to solving his client's common problems. Jude encounters the typical forms of political infighting and lack of coordination which plague many businesses organizations.

This book is a fast read and Lencioni presents an excellent explanation at the conclusion of the fictional segment of the different problems identified
Sheri
one of the best out of this author's leadership books so far. a must read.
Chris
Lencioni does a good job of drawing our attention to what should be obvious and common sensical. Case in point: in order to help the team move beyond their individual agendas, give them a common cause, what the author calls a "Thematic Goal". This should be a "single, temporary, and qualitative rallying cry shared by all members of the leadership team. The goal should be broad enough that every leader can "buy in" yet narrow enough to provide a sense of urgency and relevance. Out of the common c ...more
Robert
Silos, Politics and Turf Wars: A Leadership Fable About Destroying the Barriers That Turn Colleagues into Competitors
Patrick Lencioni
Jossey-Bass

Here's the situation. Jude Cousins is a talented, energetic, and ambitious young marketing executive at Hatch Technology who, with his wife Teresa's support and encouragement, decides to leave his secure job after Hatch is purchased by Bell Financial Systems. He establishes an independent consulting practice and almost immediately obtains three clients:
S'hi
Dec 04, 2012 S'hi rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: managers CEOs dept heads
A very easy read about quite difficult territory in many organizations. Lencioni not only presents information and examples which make it very easy for CEOs and department heads to consider difficulties they are facing with their staff. He also presents a practical story of setting up as a consultant. This also has two advantages – one for those who are feeling caught in a job which no longer suits their capabilities, and another for those who want to make the best use of consultants and their u ...more
Joewoolworth
I wasn't sure I would like the idea of a fable/fictional account of a company as much as real world examples, but I suppose real world examples often get bent to make a point as well. The main point of this book was great. Companies/organizations are at their best in a crisis mode, but when a company/organization is successful for a long time (or sometimes not so long) they tend to have inter-departmental silos, politics and turf wars.

So why wait for a crisis to bring out the best in your organi
Brian White
I thought this was a good book but not a great book. Lencioni could probably combine all of his books into one book with each topic being one section or chapter and we'd all be better off. He would, however, sell a lot fewer books that way. The material in this book was good and the parable which makes up the lion's share of the book was entertaining and informative. I look forward to implementing some of his ideas at work.
Jerry Fultz
Another outstanding read from Lencioni.

The thematic goal outlined is an incredibly useful paradigm for organizations and for families (see his book The Three Big Questions For A Frantic Family - it basically applies these concepts to family life).

I also appreciate his focus on crisis. A crisis is a very clarifying event in the life of an individual, an organization or a family. That the same clarity can be achieved - sans panic - by approaching near term goals "as if" we were in crisis is very
Yves
Patrick Lencioni takes a parable approach to making a point so this is light reading on an important problem in virtually every business. I have a really short fuse for office silos and in fact hate office politics: The team approach is the only way to go in an organization so this book reaffirmed to me the importance of rooting out silos and turf wars.
Hillary
Basic and short, but could have been shorter - basically a long journal article. I drew a few useful things, but not as many a from his other books I've read. Patrick Lencioni (Author)
Adam
The main thesis of the book is that a "crisis" leads to interdepartmental cooperation, rather than the building of silos. The point is to create that same environment without having to have an actual crisis.

The author presents the idea through a "fable." The story is about a man named Jude who is trying to start a new life as a consultant and stumbles onto this idea after an experience in the emergency room when his wife delivered twins several weeks early.

I read this book specifically for help
Tim Gillen
I thought this was a good read. I listened to the audiobook read by Eric Conger.

I believe there were good takeaways in regards to how you structure your organization, and focus them on the thematic goal and supporting principles to meet that goal.

Jon
Lencioni creates leadership fables for his readers to not only learn from but enjoy as well. Creating fables is an excellent way to create essentially a perfect story line that assists the reader in ascertaining the principles Lencioni is trying to convey about being an effective leader. I find his books are at the top for improving business and leadership skills as a result. In this instance, Lencioni provides suggestions on eliminating silos which are the internal barriers in the company that ...more
Melissa Langeman
Yes, all this is true, and I'm sure we've all been here. Unfortunately, while corporate leaders love to read these, they take them more as bedtime stories than a source of learning.
Kristen
Explains a lot of what I am seeing in my current situation. Now to figure out how to get others to see this and put it into action.
Stephen
READ MAR 2014

Another easy read fable from Lencioni. Best quote, "a confused or conflicted employee can be a sign that the thematic goal and defining objectives aren't being communicated effectively, or more important, aren't being used to manage the organization from above" (p. 206).
VENKATRAMAN C K
A easy read. Communicates a difficult concept like shared vision and alignment in a straightforward manner
Cyrus
Quick and easy read. Finished the book in less than 4 hours. Good read for managers and leaders in big organizations.
Wendy
Insightful, fast, easy read. Straight forward. Five basic steps beginning with defining a "crisis."
Mark
As usual, Lencioni does a splendid job of illustrating his leadership principles through storytelling - this time around it's about finding a way past turf wars inside organizations.

I'd heard this material before, presented at The Leadership Summit a few years back, and I'm glad I've had a chance to see this stuff applied specifically to church life. One of the things I find most difficult about his books is trying to figure out how to use his insights in my ministry.

Still, I find myself devouri
Don Barger
Great book. I love Lencioni's writing style - always telling a story in his books.
Michelle Tarby
Nice quick read helped me think about silos but finally in ways to break them down.
Kim
This is a story of how silos within an organization can truly wreck havoc on the entire business. Seems common-sensical. However, Lencioni did a great job of making this a "story" - instead of merely leadership principles. It's an easy read (only took me two hours) and has great takeaways. I particularly liked the concept of the thematic goal - a short term target for all departments and employees to focus on for the overall good of the organization - instead of only the good of one department o ...more
Chari
I'm not a fan of leadership fables so that is the primary reason for the 3 stars. However, Lencioni presents good information on silos politics, and turf wars--a common problem in the workplace. He provides easily transferrable examples from various professions. The book is an entertaining, easy read and would benefit employers and employees looking for a starting place on beginning to break down silos or just understanding silos in the workplace. This book is a must read for any CEO wanting to ...more
Tim
You can read this book in about 2 hours. If you want to skip the nice story and jump straight to application, jump to page 175. But the storytelling is what gives life to the application.
  • The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success
  • Crucial Confrontations: Tools for Resolving Broken Promises, Violated Expectations, and Bad Behavior
  • The Contrarian's Guide to Leadership
  • Courageous Leadership
  • The Leadership Challenge
  • Tough Choices: A Memoir
  • Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down
  • It's Okay to Be the Boss: The Step-by-Step Guide to Becoming the Manager Your Employees Need
  • Fierce Conversations: Achieving Success at Work and in Life One Conversation at a Time
Patrick Lencioni is a New York Times best-selling author, speaker, consultant and founder and president of The Table Group, a firm dedicated to helping organizations become healthy. Lencioni’s ideas around leadership, teamwork and employee engagement have impacted organizations around the globe. His books have sold nearly three million copies worldwide.

When Lencioni is not writing, he consults to
More about Patrick Lencioni...
The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable Death by Meeting: A Leadership Fable...about Solving the Most Painful Problem in Business The Advantage: Why Organizational Health Trumps Everything Else in Business The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive: The Four Disciplines at the Heart of Making Any Organization World Class The Three Signs of a Miserable Job: A Management Fable About Helping Employees Find Fulfillment in Their Work