Start by marking “What in the Wild?” as Want to Read:
What in the Wild?

What in the Wild?

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  24 reviews
From the creative team that brought us Where in the Wild? and Where ELSE in the Wild? come 10 new mysteries of the natural world for readers to solve. Kid-pleasing riddles paired with mystifying images give clues to guess: What creature made that pile of twigs, mass of leaves, frothy spittle, and so on...And why? As with the other books, answers are found by opening a gene ...more
Published August 24th 2010 by Tricycle Press

To ask other readers questions about What in the Wild?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What in the Wild?

Kristina Befort
Personal Reaction: I really liked the format of this book. It has all of the facts of an informational book, but it allows the reader to read clues about an animal and then try to figure out which animal the author is talking about. Then, the reader opens the page even further to find out if their guess was right, and they can then read more facts about the animal. I have never seen this format on an informational book before, and I thought that was a very interesting idea, and I think children ...more
Bill Hawthorne
What in the Wild? is a phenomenal and unique informational text that includes poetry, factual information, and surprising, interesting pictures. Each two-page spread begins with a poem on one page that acts as a riddle connected with the picture on the opposite page. The poems include many different rhyme schemes and structures, including some neat concrete poems. The pictures usually show the outside of some kind of creature's home and include the invitation to "Lift to Reveal Me!" Once lifted, ...more
Kelli
I like this book, and it can be used with all ages. The "guess what this describes" lift-the-flap book can be a fun challenge for preschoolers and young elementaries, and the detailed descriptions provide plenty of solid science content for older kids. It's a nice surpise to find great non-fiction books that are both fun and informative.
Donalyn
Poems and accompanying photographs (owl pellets, cocoons, holes) give readers clues for identifying animals. Lifting the page behind each photograph reveals scientific information about the animals and their behaviors.
Mary Ann
Bay Area author Schwartz loves to find unusual ways to draw children into discovering science in the world around them. In What in the Wild?, he hooks kids in with a mystery and riddle, asking kids to guess what creature made a pile of twigs, a mass of leaves, frothy spittle. He cleverly uses a bit of the gross factor to intrigue kids, and then draws it out with a clever poem. As they open the page, further pictures reveal the creature that has created this structure. As one student said, “You s ...more
Julie
This is a book with the lot. Interesting photos, guessing games with open-the-flap answers, lyrical text and informative text to meet the demands of children of all ages and abilities. My ten-year-old (who is known as the "animal encyclopedia" in her class)pointed out to me that this book was posing questions she had to think about, and teaching her new information. Sounds good to me!
Dolly
Jan 31, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful book of photographs and poems, a followup to Where in the Wild?: Camouflaged Creatures Concealed ... and Revealed and Where Else in the Wild?. I like the poems (some rhyming, some not), with their interesting shapes and rhythm. And our girls love the lift the page design, guessing what is hidden. The descriptive paragraphs on the animal featured are informative - perhaps a bit long to hold their intereest, but still fun to read. We love these books and hope this team of autho ...more
Taylor Darst
A creative book, great for doing inferring strategies with children.
Lissa Davies
A fabulous mix of poetry and photography make this an unusual riddle book. A short poem, done in a variety of styles from haiku to shape poems introduces an animal riddle complimented by close up photograph on the page opposite. Lift the flap to reveal the colour photograph of the animal along with interesting tidbits of information. Unusual animals such as the star-nosed mole are pictured along with worms, owls and other 'mysteries of nature'.

A terrific read aloud and a wonderful addition to t
Kelsey Bigelow
Perfect for inferencing
Julie Gerrish
What in the Wild is a wonderful book for elementary-age children. It combines poetry with science for a very fun reading experience. The reader gets to guess what type of animal is in the picture and poem, and behind the flap it is revealed with more detail. I would recommend this book for a teacher who wants to make science more fun.
Lindsey
What in the Wild consists of ten different poems that also act as riddles. This is great because it combines nature with poetry. I think kids would enjoy trying to figure out what they are looking at before they flip the page to reveal what it is. It would be a good book to read for science.
Amy
This book investigates weird things found in nature. Each is photographed and described cryptically in a poem, with a fold out with a description of each thing. This book is interesting and well done, especially for elementary school age children who like weird things in nature.
Kate Hastings
You may need to suppress your gag reflex for some pages in this book. This title is a wicked cool combination of photos and poetry-- where you read a riddle and try to guess what the picture is. Fold out pages reveal the answers... and fun facts about the animal. Great for Grades K-6.
Rebecca
Jan 13, 2011 Rebecca rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: K and up
Recommended to Rebecca by: Kate
Shelves: poetry, nonfiction
Concrete poems (well, some of them) describe a super-up-close and often gross picture of something in nature. Can you guess what it is? Answers and addtional info revealed under the flap. A fun, informative alternative to your classic seek-and-find type book.
Daniel
grade:K-2
topic: biology

some of these pictures are amazing!
great real-life pictures with easy discriptions.
studnets can reveal the secret parts in the each pages!
great for students who are interested in NATURE!

Lorraine Robinson
this book can be used for:
- science facts about some animals and insects
- example on how to write riddles
- predictions and reasoning
- connections to things seen in nature
- placed based lesson
- rhyming
This book has more gross stuff in nature than I like (or than were in the other books in the series)... but I am sure that there will be plenty of kids who'll enjoy this book (gross-factor and all)!
Mouse Denehy
This book is fantastic! The poetry teases into the answer hidden under folded pages and there's a bunch more information on them. This book is fantastic for a budding interest in animal science.
Julie Esanu
This book deftly uses poetry to reinforce scientific concepts such as camouflage. My students loved identifying clues and figuring out these poetry riddles. Great for inferencing.
Diana Hanke
This is a great book! The mixture of poetry, informational text, and photography make the mysteries of nature come to life. It can be used as a resource at any level K-6.
Marie
Poems that inform and act as clues, amazing photos, intriguing creatures, and lift flaps...non-fiction has gotten to be so much fun!
Nancy Jo Lambert
Well, what a weird book! Will review this on my blog!

Rachel
Information is great and well presented, poems are poor and add little
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Rhonda
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
As a child, I was filled with a sense of awe as I contemplated the universe. The huge numbers of stars and their sizes and distances never failed to amaze me. With binoculars and magnifying glass, I also focused on closer subjects like birds, flowers, frogs and bugs.

But science and math weren't my only fascinations: I also loved bicycles, baseball, boats…and ice cream. Years later, on a clear spr
More about David M. Schwartz...
How Much Is a Million? If You Hopped Like A Frog Where in the Wild?: Camouflaged Creatures Concealed... and Revealed If You Made a Million G Is for Googol: A Math Alphabet Book