Seven Loves: A Novel

Seven Loves: A Novel

2.43 of 5 stars 2.43  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Who most deeply affects our lives? Sometimes it is those who touch us briefly, even unexpectedly. For May Nilsson, these include the lover she takes in her forties; the handsome, troubled young rebel she is determined to rescue; the police officer who inadvertently plays a major role in her greatest catastrophe.

Moving back and forth in time, from May's childhood to her e...more
Published June 14th 2007 by Back Bay Books (first published June 21st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Loves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Loves

Carroll Straus
This is superb writing.No, it's not an easy read, mentally or emotionally--who wants to think of being trapped in your own mindn unable to speak? I think maybe this book will never speak to younger readers.)I have, over the past year, come to look back on my win life and ask, "how?" "why?" :when...?"

But the language? Brilliant original and creative images are woven, yet it works, it does not scream "attempt to be original". It is 100% fiction yet 100% true. It flows, it glows, it enriches.

No, do...more
Suzy
The structure of this book is like Olive Kitteridge. There is more of an organizing theme though: 7 loves of the protagonist. But it is really just a vehicle for getting to know her and her story. She is a more likable character, and, perhaps for that reason, one to whom I could relate more. One thing I liked about the book was that things happened to her--or she did things--sometimes for no explainable reason. And, I think that that is really true to life. We are used to always delving into the...more
Fatin Fairuz
I initially bought this book because of the title as well as the synopsys behind that book. However the moment i started reading this book..my mind went blank..I can't absorb every words that i read and i can't even feel the book at all. I pushed mayself to complete the book but i only managed to get up until more or less 30pages. I just really can't take it anymore and so i decided to stop!
Mollyhoke1019
While Valerie Trueblood is a talented writer and the main character Kay had a complicated and interesting life, I found this book disjointed and confusing to read. It flip flopped too much even within chapters. The shame of it all is that I could not piece a meaning together afterwards about the book. I think the concept for the book had great potential but it was not executed effectively.
Irwin
I was less than enthralled by this book. Its style was pretty derivative of other similar books that came before it, and I was not convinced that the main character and her lifemates merited my time. In its favor, it is pretty harmless, with large type and fewer than 250 pages, so you can plow through it fairly quickly.
Carol
Some of the stories in this book were "I cna't put this down till I am finishinesd" That good! But a few others were a little confusing in time lines and number of characters. On the whole though, I recommend it. Trueblood is a talented writer to be enjoyed.
Val
I like Trueblood's writing and viewed this book as a series of short stories that you could read in any order and that may or may not have been related to each other. What if you took the other path that day? How differently would have things been?
Liza Prall
What? Unbelievably disappointing, such a cute title, such a cute cover... Very rarely do I consider complaining at the movie store or resturant because something was so awful, but this one was a waste of my time. And I am still bitter. Dammit.
Rachel
I'm not sure if it was the format or the writing of the book, but I just had a hard time following the story and couldn't get into it. My mom seemed to enjoy it though, when she read it.
Jacque Sherbak
I am not a fan of "short stories." This one did not change my position on the subject. Bought it because I was traveling for a month and needed something easy.
Cindi
Jun 01, 2008 Cindi rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Cindi by: Independent bookstore in MN
I did not make it past the first couple of chapters as I do not enjoy reading about a married woman and her love of other men outside her marriage.
Karen
I'm still reading, but so far it's a sweet and thoughtful look back at a woman's life and some of the interesting people she's loved along the way.
Michelle Cramer
I feel like this book was all over the place. As soon as I thought I was enjoying it the story line would change. Did not like it at all!
Cindi
Apr 21, 2008 Cindi rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Cindi by: Independent bookstore in MN
Shelves: romance
I was only able to read only the first 1/5th of the book because I didn't like reading about a woman's affairs during her marriage.
Carrie
The story of an "ordinary life made extraordinary" by a series of intimate relationship spanning 60 years.

Put-downable. 6 out of 10.
Diana
lasted until about page 180 and just couldn't take it anymore. dreadfully boring, poorly constructed and plotless.
Teresa
Non-linear look at a woman's life. Brooding and fairly dark and depressing. Don't read it on a rainy day :)
Cindy
Got to about page 24 and gave up! Just didn't get my attention.
Julaine
just the ramblings and musings of an old lady with no cohesive story.
Mary
I wish I hadn't wasted my time. Weird and plotless.
Jennie
i couldn't get into this plot-less book at all...
Pam
Struggling to keep reading. Wish I could like it better.
Molly
A very nice book. Very discussable. Good for book clubs?
Lois Smith
Interesting but curious book. Not my favorite.
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Ellen Mallernee Barnes
Ellen Mallernee Barnes is currently reading it
Aug 07, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Lynda Briggs
Lynda Briggs marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
In 2006 Valerie Trueblood’s first novel, Seven Loves, came out from Little, Brown, receiving wide notice in print and online, and high praise from writers and critics. It was followed by a paperback edition, and was a Barnes and Noble “Discover Great New Writers” pick and one of Nancy Pearl’s "Ten Favorite Books of 2006."

She has published investigative reports on military and environmental subject...more
More about Valerie Trueblood...
Marry or Burn: Stories Search Party: Stories of Rescue Seven Loves: A Novel Seven Loves: A Novel Seven Loves