Start by marking “Seven Loves: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Seven Loves: A Novel

Seven Loves: A Novel

Who most deeply affects our lives? Sometimes it is those who touch us briefly, even unexpectedly. For May Nilsson, these include the lover she takes in her forties; the handsome, troubled young rebel she is determined to rescue; the police officer who inadvertently plays a major role in her greatest catastrophe.

Moving back and forth in time, from May's childhood to her e
Published June 14th 2007 by Back Bay Books (first published June 21st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Loves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Loves

Suzy
Dec 30, 2009 Suzy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The structure of this book is like Olive Kitteridge. There is more of an organizing theme though: 7 loves of the protagonist. But it is really just a vehicle for getting to know her and her story. She is a more likable character, and, perhaps for that reason, one to whom I could relate more. One thing I liked about the book was that things happened to her--or she did things--sometimes for no explainable reason. And, I think that that is really true to life. We are used to always delving into the ...more
Carroll Straus
May 26, 2012 Carroll Straus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is superb writing.No, it's not an easy read, mentally or emotionally--who wants to think of being trapped in your own mindn unable to speak? I think maybe this book will never speak to younger readers.)I have, over the past year, come to look back on my win life and ask, "how?" "why?" :when...?"

But the language? Brilliant original and creative images are woven, yet it works, it does not scream "attempt to be original". It is 100% fiction yet 100% true. It flows, it glows, it enriches.

No, do
Molly
Oct 23, 2008 Molly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While Valerie Trueblood is a talented writer and the main character Kay had a complicated and interesting life, I found this book disjointed and confusing to read. It flip flopped too much even within chapters. The shame of it all is that I could not piece a meaning together afterwards about the book. I think the concept for the book had great potential but it was not executed effectively.
Irwin
Apr 13, 2011 Irwin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was less than enthralled by this book. Its style was pretty derivative of other similar books that came before it, and I was not convinced that the main character and her lifemates merited my time. In its favor, it is pretty harmless, with large type and fewer than 250 pages, so you can plow through it fairly quickly.
Fatin Fairuz
Jul 20, 2012 Fatin Fairuz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I initially bought this book because of the title as well as the synopsys behind that book. However the moment i started reading this book..my mind went blank..I can't absorb every words that i read and i can't even feel the book at all. I pushed mayself to complete the book but i only managed to get up until more or less 30pages. I just really can't take it anymore and so i decided to stop!
Val
Feb 18, 2011 Val rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Trueblood's writing and viewed this book as a series of short stories that you could read in any order and that may or may not have been related to each other. What if you took the other path that day? How differently would have things been?
Krystie Schlicker
Jun 30, 2015 Krystie Schlicker rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I got half way through the book and just had to put it down. It was very hard to follow and I couldn't piece together the flip flopping of the stories with in the chapters. Thought it would be much more than what it is.
Liza Prall
What? Unbelievably disappointing, such a cute title, such a cute cover... Very rarely do I consider complaining at the movie store or resturant because something was so awful, but this one was a waste of my time. And I am still bitter. Dammit.
Carol
Nov 24, 2010 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the stories in this book were "I cna't put this down till I am finishinesd" That good! But a few others were a little confusing in time lines and number of characters. On the whole though, I recommend it. Trueblood is a talented writer to be enjoyed.
Jenny
Jan 03, 2016 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just noticed a lot of negative reviews. I guess it was not highly plot driven but more about life, marriage, relationships. I really liked it -- it felt somewhat true to me as a geropsychologist -- the piecing together of life. I really liked the nursing home chapter.
Carrie
Oct 14, 2007 Carrie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story of an "ordinary life made extraordinary" by a series of intimate relationship spanning 60 years.

Put-downable. 6 out of 10.
Teresa
Aug 21, 2011 Teresa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Non-linear look at a woman's life. Brooding and fairly dark and depressing. Don't read it on a rainy day :)
Pam
Dec 26, 2011 Pam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Struggling to keep reading. Wish I could like it better.
Cindy
Aug 02, 2012 Cindy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Got to about page 24 and gave up! Just didn't get my attention.
Cindi
Jan 11, 2008 Cindi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Cindi by: Independent bookstore in MN
I did not make it past the first couple of chapters as I do not enjoy reading about a married woman and her love of other men outside her marriage.
Rachel
Jan 06, 2011 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure if it was the format or the writing of the book, but I just had a hard time following the story and couldn't get into it. My mom seemed to enjoy it though, when she read it.
Mary
Aug 07, 2008 Mary rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I hadn't wasted my time. Weird and plotless.
Jacque Sherbak
May 18, 2011 Jacque Sherbak rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am not a fan of "short stories." This one did not change my position on the subject. Bought it because I was traveling for a month and needed something easy.
Diana
May 26, 2009 Diana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
lasted until about page 180 and just couldn't take it anymore. dreadfully boring, poorly constructed and plotless.
Molly
Mar 16, 2009 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very nice book. Very discussable. Good for book clubs?
Karen
Mar 24, 2007 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm still reading, but so far it's a sweet and thoughtful look back at a woman's life and some of the interesting people she's loved along the way.
Cindi
Apr 21, 2008 Cindi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Cindi by: Independent bookstore in MN
Shelves: romance
I was only able to read only the first 1/5th of the book because I didn't like reading about a woman's affairs during her marriage.
Michelle Cramer
Jan 13, 2010 Michelle Cramer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like this book was all over the place. As soon as I thought I was enjoying it the story line would change. Did not like it at all!
courtney
courtney rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Tishlareine
Tishlareine rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2011
Siobhan Fallon
Siobhan Fallon rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2011
Traecy
Traecy rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2014
CJ Johnson
CJ Johnson rated it it was ok
Jan 09, 2010
Shana
Shana rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2010
  • Jane-Emily: And Witches' Children
  • Don't Leave Me This Way: Or When I Get Back on My Feet You'll Be Sorry
  • sMothering
  • Long for This World
  • I've Still Got It...I Just Can't Remember Where I Put It: Awkwardly True Tales from the Far Side of Forty
  • The Real Housewives Get Personal
  • Mississippi Nights
  • Running on Empty: A Diary of Anorexia and Recovery
  • What Lies Beneath
  • Whisper if You Need Me
  • The Rising Tide
  • Cypress Nights (Bayou #10)
  • Return to Me
  • Von Gobstopper's Arcade (The Strangest Adventures, #3)
  • The Can't Cook Book: Recipes for the Absolutely Terrified!
In 2006 Valerie Trueblood’s first novel, Seven Loves, came out from Little, Brown, receiving wide notice in print and online, and high praise from writers and critics. It was followed by a paperback edition, and was a Barnes and Noble “Discover Great New Writers” pick and one of Nancy Pearl’s "Ten Favorite Books of 2006."

She has published investigative reports on military and environmental subject
More about Valerie Trueblood...