Start by marking “Colder Than Ice (Mira Tradesize S.)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Colder Than Ice

Maggie Shayne

Colder Than Ice (Mordecai Young #2)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  987 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Seventeen years ago, government agent Joshua Kendall was part of the raid on the cultlike Young Believers compound. His own bullet killed an innocent girl, and he has lived with the guilt ever since. But a new assignment will reveal that the most shattering incident of Josh's life was nothing more than a lie. Elizabeth Marcum was that girl. She survived the bullet from the ...more
Published (first published November 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Colder Than Ice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Colder Than Ice

Debbie
After Beth was relocated, she thought she could take care of herself. Then Joshua and his teenage son Bryan showed up to protect her, even if she didn't know that was why they were there.

The story line was a bit predictable but very enjoyable anyways. The wariness Beth shows was a very real feeling to it and the interaction with the teenagers in the story was also realistic.

The second in the series, it is always fun to see the return of some of the characteres and several mentions of the rest.
jenjn79
RomReader *Spoiler Giver*
High-school teacher has been on the Witness Protection program for years after she survived the government raid of the cult group she was kept in at 16. She moved to a Vermont small town about a year or so ago after she rescued her daughter from the clutches of her crazy ex-boyfriend who happens to be the father of her daughter & leader of their cult group. She mainly keeps to herself except for an older lady she’s befriended. Her friends’ attractive grandson Hero & his teenage son stays ...more
Book_recs4u
Maggie Shayne is a wonderful suspense writer. I've read several of her books now and each one keeps me hooked until the end. This book is the second in the Mordecai Young series. Lizzie was placed in the witness protection program out of reach of Mordecai Young, the madman she shot but didn't kill. For a year she lives a peaceful life as Beth Slocum in the small town of Blackberry. When a man named Joshua arrives with his son claiming to be the long lost grandson of her dear elderly friend Maude ...more
Christine
Like its prequel, this was another fast-paced page turner. Between the two, I'll probably look for more books by this author, although I didn't like this one quite as much as Thicker Than Water. I think the reason is that in this book, far more time was spent on romance than suspense. (In the previous volume, though some called it romantic suspense, I thought the romance was background enough not to qualify.) Now, I love romance, so that shouldn't have been a problem, but to be honest, I couldn' ...more
Heather
Aug 17, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, romance
Book 2 in this series: Mordecia Young:
Elizabeth, Ms. Marcum, or Dawns bio mom....whatever you want to call her has been relocated by the goverment since the end of the last book. Now going by Beth Solcum and has been living in preporation for the fight with Mordecia. She can shot, she has toned her body took up jogging/running and has a punching bag in her living room. All she has now is her fear of his return and her prep.
Joshua Kendall is sent by Arthur Stanton to protect Beth now that they be
Megan
Jenna
Mar 18, 2014 Jenna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, suspense, 2014
I haven't read much of this genre in the past few years, so I can't tell if this book was just that bad or if I'm not interested in the genre anymore. Maybe a bit of both. I didn't realize for quite some time that this was the second book in the series. I like to read in order, so I wish I'd read the first book, although if I had, I probably wouldn't have picked this one up.

But that wouldn't have been a bad thing.

Besides the book being extremely predictable, my favorite character, the only chara
Trianna Hyde
Apr 19, 2012 Trianna Hyde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was a little worried about getting this book because its a stand alone novel. As far as i was aware it wasn't part of a series. But i liked the author so i was curious. Upon reading this book i really got into it. I loved the women of the book Elizabeth. She is like any women who has had her heart broken. she is reserved and guarded not wanting to get attached to someone or something because she believes that deep down it will always be taken away from her. But that only works for so long... a ...more
Kathleen
Sep 23, 2015 Kathleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A very quick,easy read -- a good summer or beach read. Problem was that the story was a bit of a love story wrapped in a crime drama, with some clairvoyance-type stuff thrown it. I felt it was too much of a mixed bag.
Pamela(AllHoney)
The second book in the Mordecai Young series by Maggie Shayne. Beth Scolum is in Witness Protection and hiding out in Blackberry, Vermont. She befriends an elderly lady, Maude Bickham, and one day Maude gets company in the form of a "son" and "grandson". Joshua Kendall has come to Blackberry, Vermont to fix the "rift" between him and his "mom". Well, that's the cover story anyway. The truth is Mordecai Young is searching for his "Lizzie" to exact his revenge.

I probably would have enjoyed this mo
Belle
Jun 18, 2015 Belle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Maggie Shayne romantic suspense book is always good for hours of pleasure reading. This book is no exception. The tension is good in the book as is the mystery in it.
Olimpia
Dec 13, 2013 Olimpia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Colder Than Ice is the second installment to Maggie Shayne’s Mordecai Young Series. Josh thought he had accidentally killed Beth/Lizzie, one of the young runaways living at the Young Believers Compound that day during the botched government raid. The guilt he carried was never far from him. Josh is shocked when he realizes that the person he’s there to protect is none other than the young victim he thought he killed years before. A very well written romantic suspense and fast paced novel, filled ...more
Joanne Hastings
Dec 31, 2015 Joanne Hastings rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much the same as the first book. Man wracked with guilt trying to save the damsel in distress. Still enjoyable though
Edy Carder
Sep 08, 2014 Edy Carder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
didn't want to put it down
Drucilla
Jul 13, 2011 Drucilla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: s
If you're looking for a suspence novel, this is it. You really don't know what'll happen and it keeps you guessing. There is a romantic subplot for the romances lovers out there. (view spoiler)
Leann
Jun 18, 2011 Leann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoyed the first book about Mordecai Young (Thicker Then Water) you'll like this one too. We're now following the journey w/ Lizzie. We learn more about her from the moment she woke up from her coma to her present day. We also find Dawn a love interest, and a secret she's been keeping. I look forward to reading the third and final mordecai book.
Tracy Walters
This is the 2nd of Maggie Shayne's "Mordecai Young" series. I enjoyed reading it but felt that the 1st book was a better read. I did like the characters in this book and the story was interesting....I just felt that, at times, it could get a little to smarmy or mushy. I'm looking forward to reading the 3rd novel to how it will tie up the series.
Vankruh
Oct 03, 2008 Vankruh is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmmm, Not to much I can say yet as I've just started the book. I'm on page 75 of 392 pages, but I'm not sure if I'll keep reading it, as just hasn't started drawing me in. I'll read another 25 pages and see if it starts to get any better, if not I'll just drop it off to our clubhouse library.
Mandy
I liked this one less than the first. A lot of the conflict is based on the hero lying to the heroine, instead of the conflict being about the big baddie. Also, Shayne started pulling in elements of the paranormal and toying with mental illness. I think it muddled the story.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Returning back to this world, it is eerie and disturbing. It looks like Mordecai is back and he is going to get what he wants. Another gripping tale and kept me interested. I like Ms. Shayne's suspense and hope she keeps writing them.
Lavada Dee
Sep 12, 2009 Lavada Dee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second time I've read this book. I didn't realize it when I started and by the time I did I was about half way through the first chapter and didn't want to stop. Great read.
Michele
Romance book. Woman in witness protection is located by bad guys. Agent who thought he had accidentally killed her is sent to be her protector. Love ensues as does danger. Good escape read.
Connie
Mar 14, 2012 Connie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first book by this author and I enjoyed the suspense that was in this book. You really hated the bad guys and loved the good guys.
Genevive Russet
This series is great. Action, characterization, romance. It covers it. Intelectual? Not really. Entertaining, easy read.
Kathryn
The plot thickens with the second book in Maggie Shayne's series. This book is about forgiveness and it tells it well.
Andrea
Jan 19, 2011 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
i loved it....gave me chills right there at the end. Pick up this series your going to love it!
Melissa
Sep 24, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Three stars for being creepy and icky with the insane cult leader storyline but very predictable.
Jenny
Mar 30, 2008 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series by Maggie Shayne. Maggie seems to write the best stories!
  • Liar's Market
  • Missing
  • Killing Kelly (Soap Opera, #3)
  • The Hunter (Crossfire, #2)
  • Full Pursuit
  • The Search
  • Flashback
  • Strangers In The Night (includes Beyond Twilight - Wings in the Night, #4)
  • Wrath (The Niteclif Evolutions, #2)
  • The Lion Throne
  • Finding Mary Blaine
  • The First Mistake (Cleo North #1)
  • In Golden Blood (Violet Eyes, #3)
  • Straying From the Path
  • The Perfect Murder (The Last Stand, #6)
  • Haunting Rachel
  • Strangers in the Night
  • Season of Strangers (Paranormal Series II, #3)
I live in the teeny, tiny town of Taylor, NY, (Alliteration Alert!) though my mailing address is Cincinnatus, my telephone exchange is Truxton and I pay taxes and vote in Cuyler. All of these are at least in the same rural county in the southern hills of New York State; Cortland County. There are more cattle than people here. The nearest “big” cities are Syracuse and Binghamton and they are an hou ...more
More about Maggie Shayne...

Mordecai Young (3 books)
  • Thicker Than Water (Mordecai Young, #1)
  • Darker than Midnight (Mordecai Young #3)

“It was because a great-looking man with no apparent mental defects found her attractive. Imagine feeling so buoyant over something so juvenile.” 28 likes
“Then, almost as an afterthought, she turned and locked the bathroom door. If he thought he was going to seduce her, make her stupid enough to believe his lies by getting her into bed, he'd better think again. She stepped into the water. Besides, women didn't lose brain cells at the thought of sex. Only men did.” 16 likes