Start by marking “Empty Cradle, Broken Heart: Surviving the Death of Your Baby” as Want to Read:
Empty Cradle, Broken Heart: Surviving the Death of Your Baby

Empty Cradle, Broken Heart: Surviving the Death of Your Baby

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Reassurance for parents who struggle with anger, guilt, and despair after a miscarriage, stillbirth, infant death.
Published February 13th 1996 by Fulcrum Group (first published 1991)

Margaret Houston
This is the first book I read since my son died that really got it.

A few small bits are somewhat dated - for example, there are now online support groups and forums that weren't around in the early 90's, and, thankfully, people are more aware of the real losses that occur in miscarriage, stillbirth, and infant death, and so are more sensitive. Doctors, family members, etc., are less likely these days to dismiss the loss, and hospitals are better at giving parents choices on whether to hold their
This book was given to me after the unexpected stillbirth of our third child. The friend who passed it on to me also experienced the stillbirth of a child. I was very devastated. I didn't think this book would offer me any advice or help. However, I read it because of my friend. I discovered how wrong I had been. This book brought back peace to my everyday life. It helped me look forward and have hope. I especially enjoyed reading the personal experiences from other couples who had lost children ...more
Leah K
Empty Cradle, Broken Heart: Surviving the Death of Your Baby by Deborah Davis

It is with a heavy heart that I had to read such a book to begin with and I can only hope that it is something that you will never have to read yourself.

I received this book at the hospital from a wonderful non-profit foundation that serves part of Colorado called A Walk to Remember. It took me some time to look at the book, let alone read it – but I am glad I did. The loss of my son at nearly 23 weeks of pregnancy was
My friend recently lost a baby, and I really did not want to stick my foot in my mouth, so I picked this up from the library. Short version: grief is individualized, but the most painful part is not having it recognized as real and lingering pain, and support both family/friends and professional is vital. It was interesting. I thought the chapter on trying again was a little harrowing. All in all, I would recommend it.
This book is geared toward the perinatal loss community, however, had sections that were valuable to me. I was given this book by hospital staff when my 7 month old son was taken to the hospital and arrived unresponsive. There are sections that talk about reactions to infant loss that held true for me even though I did have the opportunity to get to briefly know my son.
This book was helpful for affirming the importance of grieving and feeling one's emotions after loss.

Two disappointments, there seemed to be a strong emphasis on how to parent living children. Or maybe I'm just over sensitive to not having a living child...

And I hate the use of the phrase "pregnancy interruption." Guard your heart if you feel similarly.
If you have to read this book then I am sorry for your loss.
This book was recommended to me after we lost our son. To be honest I didn't think anyone could understand the pain I was going through, but this book does and is quite helpful. The excerpts are from people who too have dealt with the pain I deal and will deal with.

Erin Jones
Mar 15, 2013 Erin Jones rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents who've lost a child
Shelves: non-fiction
this book was recommended to me by a few people. It is a good book - for someone who has lost a baby later in pregnancy or in infanthood.

I do not think this book was helpful to women suffering from a devastating, but early (< 12 wk), miscarriage. There wasn't a whole chapter on miscarriage, everything came back to actual babies. This isn't where we're at. I wish they had gone over more about miscarriages, instead of glazing over it.

What I did think was helpful: The chapter on uterine healing
Of all the books I've read on the subject of baby loss, this is the best. I lost my son at 5 months pregnant on November 5, 2012. I really struggled (and still do) with all the emotions that come with grief. No one I knew had lost a baby, so I really felt alone. I wondered if my feelings were normal or if I was going insane. This book was recommended to me by a woman in a non-profit organization who's sole purpose is to help grieving families.

Everything I read in this book was basically describ
One of the better books I read after losing our son. It has so many helpful suggestions for friends and family too to help someone who is grieving. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who has lost a baby.
This book was my lifejacket. Highly recommend this book to anyone who is a parent or even a grandparent whose infant has died.
Michael Melilli
If you're someone whose lost a baby ( be it your own or one belonging to someone close to you) I'd highly recommend reading this book. It covers almost all aspects of a tragedy like this and how to deal with. Even better, it includes quotes and thoughts from other parents who have lost babies that helps remind you you're not alone in this and that you're not crazy for what you're thinking.
One of the better books I've read since the stillbirth of my son. I particularly appreciated the quotes from other parents. The words I'm thinking but am too afraid to say out loud ... or I have actually said them out loud and been brutally reprimanded by women who have never lost a child and have no idea what it is like.

It's sort of like a What to Expect book for loss. In fact, I wish much of this content were included in What to Expect When You're Expecting since many pregnancies do end in los
This book saved my life.
Deanna Roy
Davis' clear-eyed and sympathetic book is my highest recommendation for parents facing this devastating loss. She will take you through the grieving process, provide encouragement, facts, and stories to make you feel less alone and capable of mucking through those first terrible weeks.

I was lucky that this was one of the first books I found after we lost our baby at 20 weeks gestation. And after reading dozens more titles to review over the years, it's still one of the best.

Great book for anyone who has lost a precious baby at any stage. It guides you through the whole process of loss, not only covers grieving, but also physical and emotional recovery, and the decisions you have to make under these so sad circumstances. You are not alone. Losing a baby is one of the most painful experiences in life, and grieving your angel is a long process that you have to live through intensely to be able to recover at some point in your life.
This book was very well organized with bulleted lists of key points at the end of every chapter. Unlike "Empty Arms" by Ilse, this one didn't make me feel bad about things I did or didn't do for my 39-week stillborn daughter. The quotes from mothers were also very helpful; I saw my own thoughts echoed many times. It might've been nice to include more non-mother (dad, grandparent) quotes, but it was still an excellent book I wish no one had to read.
Oct 07, 2015 Gela marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Won this on GR & still haven't received it.
Lyndsey Heng
This book was timely and helped me through the loss of our daughter (stillborn at 21 weeks). It has a good balance of stories from other parents and advice and allows you to be who you are and grieve how you need to without imposing a bunch of "should" and "should not"s. I would recommend this book to anyone who has lost a child later in pregnancy or early in infant-hood - if anything can help, this will.
Empty cradle broken heart is the perfect resource for anyone who has experienced a late pregnancy or early infancy loss. The book tells it like it is, often in the words of those who have lived through a loss, and offers some coping strategies. Most importantly, I felt reassured that the feelings I am/was experiencing are not only normal, but a healthy part of the grieving process.
Jolene Haack
Confession: I didn't finish this book. But I am counting it as read. Here's why: It was an invaluable resource and genuinely helped me understand the tragedy of a loved one.

Here is why I didn't finish it: Too many people around me are experiencing the joy of pregnancy and I couldn't continue this because it filled me with terror. But it was brilliantly written and an amazing resource.
I found this book to be very helpful while dealing with a miscarriage. Parts of the book were more helpful than others but for the most part, very helpful in explaining the many emotions and feelings that come with losing a baby. This is a book to read if you've ever had a miscarriage or lost a baby or if you've known someone who's gone through such a devastating experience.
Jul 22, 2008 Brooke rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who has lost a baby or knows someone who did
Recommended to Brooke by: Bradley Method instructor
Of all the books I was given and lent about the loss of a baby, this one was the most helpful. It covered every aspect you could think of, including grandparents. It is a must read if you, or someone you know, has lost a baby! Many things in it would also help in the loss of anyone of any age.
this book was my survival manual after my baby died. the tone is so genuine. i love how she includes the grieving of both parents and how she sensitively covers just about every way you can lose a baby. perfect for those who have lost a baby or people who want to help those who have lost a baby.
Lynette Myers
I am sad that I have to read this book, but recommend it for anyone facing any infant loss.

So far this book is helping me realize that I am not off on how I am feeling and that I just need to be careful to not suppress things or I can cause myself a lot more heartache. Jesus will help me.
This book says it is for those who have suffered the heartache of miscarriage, stillbirth, or infant death. For me, it seemed it would be more beneficial for those who suffered a stillbirth or infant death. That being said, it was useful while dealing with a loss due to miscarriage.
Ginna Rinkov
This book offers so much insight into what parents go through when they lose a child. When I read this book, I realized I wasn't alone in my feelings. It also was a guide as to what I might feel in the future and provided some really important thoughts on how to cope with the pain.
THis is a book that you truly do not want to recommend because it means someone else suffered the loss of a baby. It really helped me a lot. I would recommend it. I'm looking for the more Christian alternative though...
Judith van Praag
This is one of the books that brought solace during period of grief and mourning after my baby had died in 1993. There's nothing like recognition of what you've gone through/ are going through yourself...
Excellent book that was recommended after the loss of our sons. Besides providing info in what to expect and things that can help, it also reinforced that what I'm feeling and am going through is not unusual.
  • Waiting with Gabriel: A Story of Cherishing a Baby's Brief Life
  • About What Was Lost: Twenty Writers on Miscarriage, Healing, and Hope
  • The Anger Diet: Thirty Days to Stress-Free Living
  • Economics For Dummies
  • The VBAC Companion: The Expectant Mother's Guide to Vaginal Birth After Cesarean
  • Love, Mom: A Mother's Journey From Loss to Hope
  • The Witch Who Made Adjustments
  • The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse
  • Healing Sex: A Mind-Body Approach to Healing Sexual Trauma
  • The Lean Muscle Diet: A Customized Nutrition and Workout Plan--Eat the Foods You Love to Build the Body You Want and Keep It for Life!
  • The 10-Second Rule : Following Jesus Made Simple
  • The Doula Book: How A Trained Labor Companion Can Help You Have A Shorter, Easier, And Healthier Birth
  • Kayak Morning: Reflections on Love, Grief, and Small Boats
  • The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers : The Most Comprehensive Problem-Solution Guide to Breastfeeding from the Foremost Expert in North America
  • Eat, Drink, and Weigh Less
  • Birth Day: A Pediatrician Explores the Science, the History, and the Wonder of Childbirth
  • Basic Soap Making: All the Skills and Tools You Need to Get Started