Start by marking “The Secret Life of Damian Spinelli: As Told To Diane Miller” as Want to Read:
The Secret Life of Damian Spinelli: As Told To Diane Miller

The Secret Life of Damian Spinelli: As Told To Diane Miller

Damien Spinelli is one of the most loved characters on General Hospital, despite his propensity for odd speech. He has a nickname for everyone, including himself (The Jackal). As Port Charles' finest computer hacker, he has decided to put his talent to good use as a private dectective. This is the story of his exploits, both real and imagined, as told to another character ...more
Published April 5th 2011 by Hyperion (first published March 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Life of Damian Spinelli, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Life of Damian Spinelli

EZRead eBookstore
Aug 05, 2011 EZRead eBookstore rated it it was ok
Shelves: amelia-reviews
It is never easy describing a book when all I can rank it with is a “so-so” rating. I didn’t hate it. I didn’t love it. I wanted to be sucked in like a speck of dust caught in the path of a vacuum cleaner. Sadly, this did not happen with the cases told by Damien Spinelli.

Though the stories and setting were modern, Spinelli’s story-telling method was like a time machine. Using nick names like “doll” while suiting up with suspenders and a fedora hat, I had to remind myself not to envision everythi
Sandy Branske
Apr 23, 2011 Sandy Branske rated it did not like it
I consider it finished as I have no intention of ever reading more of it. I think I made it to chapter 4
Erin
Jan 06, 2011 Erin marked it as to-read
Calling all General Hospital Fans!
Mayra
Aug 12, 2011 Mayra rated it did not like it
I'm a big fan of General Hospital. Have to say this was a dumb book.
Dee
Jun 22, 2011 Dee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Could possibly be the worst book I've ever read and I'm a General Hospital Fan!
Nigger
Oct 24, 2011 Nigger rated it it was amazing
its good
Janice Kidd
Nov 11, 2016 Janice Kidd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was so interested in Spinelli and this book gave an insight into the character. It was very enjoyable to read.
Cathy
Many people don't realize that in addition to her terrific acting, Hennsy is also a well-established author. A lot of people were surprised when they first heard about this project, but I think that it makes lot of sense. Fans of all genres, books to sports, movies to politics, are always eager for tie-ins. So if you have a great author right on set, and funny characters you can take advantage of, not to mention a history of successful tie-ins (Robin's diary, right?), why not? And lo and behold, ...more
Amelia
Jul 05, 2011 Amelia rated it it was ok

Susan
May 28, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: friends and family, as well as other general hospital fans
If you enjoy the daytime soap opera General Hospital, then you will for sure enjoy this book. It is hilarious, it is over-the-top, super geektastic as only one Damien Spinelli can be. The stories are embellished a great deal, the character's are engaging and likeable even when they're not trying to be, and Diane Miller is one hell of an amazing attorney.

I have loved Spinelli from the moment he graced my screen in 2006 and I continue to still love him today, all of his techo-babble, his serious
Tami
Aug 11, 2011 Tami rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
General Hospital fans are familiar with the imaginary exploits of the Jackal. Also known as Damian Spinelli, the gangly, awkward computer genius fancies himself a private eye in the tradition of Sam Spade or Mike Hammer. At any random moment, he fades into daydreams of himself as the hero, saving the damsel (or would that be "broad"?). The publication of this collection of his fanciful escapades was part of the storyline on the show and then was released in the "real world".

I have been a GH fan
Jul 02, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
When I first saw the advertisement for The Secret Life of Damien Spinelli by Carolyn Hennesy, I laughed. I watch General Hospital from time to time, and he's a real quirky, smart kind of guy. I saw in my local library, and said why not give it a try; after all it wasn't costing me a thing.

Spinelli sat down with Diane Miller and told her about the cases he solved over the last couple years. In one night, he shares all his escapades, leading up to the one that might take his life. Throughout the
Jamie
Mar 07, 2012 Jamie rated it it was ok
I had high expectations for this book because I love General Hospital, and have been a fan for many years. So, I assumed the book would be as fantastic as the show. Of course, I should not have thought that, because Carolyn Hennesy does not write the show (thankfully).

Honestly, some stories were funny, while others were ... well, they were stupid. I felt that Hennesy failed to capture the essence of the characters, which therefore made her interpretation of them seem like a mockery. This was dif
Karen
Of course it is not a requirement that you be a fan of General Hospital, but it sure helps as far as getting the humor. Most of the characters are represented in an alternate reality, usually as far opposite their actual character on the show. Example: Jason Morgan as a piccolo player, or Elizabeth Webber as a weight lifter. I'm sure the stories would work without the background, but the true GH fan will get the most out of it. Ms. Miller, ahem, Hennesy, has either watched the show as long as I ...more
Kavin Boodram
Jun 11, 2011 Kavin Boodram rated it liked it
Ended up really enjoying this book, which was pleasantly surprising, because when I first started it, I was like what the heck is this crap?! But if you can get past the first chapter or so, it is quite an enjoyable, quirky, fun and quick read. The book tells the clearly exaggerated tales of the General Hospital character, Damian Spinelli's adventures helping the troubled citizens of Port Charles in hilarious, and sometimes downright stupid situations they find themselves in. So if you're ...more
Ally Marie
May 15, 2011 Ally Marie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of General Hospital
I enjoy the character Spinelli on GH and was expecting this to be an entertaining read. I was hoping it was actually some PI cases him and Sam could have done with his computer abilities and her talents. It had some really funny moments when the character of Diane was speaking to Spinelli. It is a book of short stories of Spinelli's creative imagination that were really out there like his daydreams he has on the show. I did enjoy Carolyn Hennesy's writing style and plan to check out her YA ...more
Michelle Grogan
Apr 17, 2011 Michelle Grogan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll admit that it took a couple of chapters for me to get used to the Spinelli speak - and not just the regular Spinelli speak, but the Spinelli speak of his black and white PI fantasies. Once I got past that, I couldn't put it down and actually laughed out loud a few times!! It was great to read the characters I have grown up with and love shown in such a different light - all dependent on The Jackal to be the hero!!!
Pat Murray
Jun 12, 2011 Pat Murray rated it liked it
As a fan of General Hospital, I was surprised that one of their actresses actually wrote this collection of short stories. Most General Hospital characters are in the book. There is also a story very similar to the movie, Some Like it Hot.
This was a fun read. But I was slightly disappointed in the stories.
Ashley
Jul 02, 2013 Ashley rated it it was ok
I was disappointed by the lack of imagination in this book. Taking the plot from "Some Like it Hot" for the one story was beyond ridiculous. I love the Characters portrayed by these two wonderful actors, but the book wasn't good. The only parts I enjoyed were the bits of banter between the Brusque Barrister and the "Jackel-Hopper".
Kayla
Jun 11, 2013 Kayla rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, reviewed, bookshelf
I absolutely love General Hospital and when they came out with a book about Damian Spinelli I couldn't wait to have a copy to read. I loved the book. Its a bunch of short stories told from Spinelli's point of view. And the whole time it was like watching the character on the hit Soap GH!
Cindy Listermann hurckes
I bought this because I am a GH fan and have fallen into the Jackal's crazy ways! However, I was disappointed with the book. I guess it was too much overkill with the book rather than the shorter version on the soap.
Stephanie Hernandez
Aug 13, 2012 Stephanie Hernandez rated it it was amazing
I totally love GH and this novel is just icing on the cake for this long-time fan! I loved every minute of Jackal PI! My favorite chapter is the one JaSam of course!! A great, fun read with some Port Charles Drama!!
Cheryl
Feb 10, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was ok
Some of it was entertaining, some of it was kind of dumb. I'm not sure of the intent of the book so I don't think I can speak intelligently enough about it. I definitely heard both Spinelli's and Diane's voices as they spoke to each other between stories.
Kendal
Apr 05, 2012 Kendal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So funny! I recently started watching GH, and the book was a great way to get me into the stories! It took time to adjust to 'Jackal/Grasshopper Speak', but when i did, I couldn't help but laugh out loud. Excellent book, fingers crossed for another one (?... Hint, hint?)
Amy MacLean
May 04, 2011 Amy MacLean rated it did not like it
Suprised I finished it. It was absolutely terrible. I thought the characters would be the same as on the show. I didn't expect it to be an endless supply of Spinelli's dream sequences that I always fast forward through when watching the show. Just a waste of my time and money.
SunshineGirl
May 31, 2015 SunshineGirl marked it as gave-up-on
I have been watch General Hospital off & on since was in elementary school (in my thirties now). I was excited to read this book. I just couldn't get into. It is old news so not as exciting as a new episode or a new book.
Jodi
Sep 28, 2011 Jodi rated it did not like it
As a die hard General Hospital fan, I REALLY wanted to like this book. But....this was one of the most painful books to get through.
Jill Pearson
Apr 08, 2013 Jill Pearson rated it liked it
Interesting concept for a book. I would day you have to be a real General Hospital fan yo enjoy it. A couple of the chapters are LOL funny.
Sandra
Jul 06, 2011 Sandra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too campy. This could have been good if it focused on one mystery. Even for a long time GH fan, this seemed like utter buffoonery.
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Not bad if you are a fan of General Hospital. I didn't expect it to be a book of short stories, which made it kinda slow in places. Definitely need to have a sense of odd humor to appreciate.
  • Love in Maine
  • Familyhood
  • Dark Horse
  • The Woof in the Wedding Plans (Silver State Romance, #2)
  • Your Magic Touch
  • An Angel With Fur
  • Titanic Affair
  • Memoirs of a Bad Dog
  • Meet the Dogs of Bedlam Farm
  • Burning Down the Spouse (Ex Trophy Wives #2)
Carolyn Hennesy, a Los Angeles native, has been in over 100 theatrical productions spanning the LA., regional and international theatre scenes. Having trained at American Conservatory Theatre and the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, London as well as earning a dramatic scholarship to the California State University at Northridge, she has played such distinguished houses as the Mark Taper Forum, ...more
More about Carolyn Hennesy...