Angel in My Pocket

Angel in My Pocket

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  26 reviews
When Bette finds an angel coin among the money collected in a carwash, she puts it in her pocket and forgets about it. But things start to change, especially once Gabby, a mysterious and kind new neighbor, moves into Bette’s Chicago building.

Suddenly, Bette is able to face some big losses—her mother’s recent death; her sister’s departure for college—and move forward. And...more
Published March 15th 2011 by Feiwel & Friends

Michelle
Angel In My Pocket is a middle-grade delight. Focused on four different children who attend a local Chicago school for the performing arts the story centralizes on the changes in their life that occur when each comes into possession of an old coin. The coin, adorned with a picture of an angel on it, is thought to bring good luck to it’s holder.

Of the four stories told, Joe’s was my favorite. As the class bully he was pegged an outcast from the start. A neighborhood kid sent to this special schoo...more
Erin Sterling
I thought the story was sweet and the message positive (without being too preachy), but what drove me crazy about this book is the way 12-year-olds were able to pinpoint their feelings so eloquently. Example: "But Gabi's expression was something else, and Bette couldn't put her finger on it. Thoughtful, yes, but tinged with a sparkle of inquisitiveness." However, cute story and kids probably won't mind my issue with it. ;) One day, a girl finds a coin with an angel on it. As she keeps it for goo...more
Shazzer
As posted on Outside of a Dog:

What do you do with a book that wears its heart proudly on its sleeve? Cynic that I am, I tend to judge a bit harshly I'm sure. Even when I am taken in by an emotional plot, I'm conscious of my taken in, and part of me is suspicious of that. So what do I do with a book like Ilene Cooper's Angel in My Pocket? It's heartfelt and tries to pack much meaning into its nearly 300 pages. Did I feel myself being manipulated? A little bit. Did I mind? Surprisingly, not that m...more
mamazilla
i started to read this book because i wasn't sure my 8 yo would be ready for it... i'm really glad i did. although, i came to the realization that she wasn't ready for it, i do think that when she's older - 11 or 12, that she'll appreciate it....

as a cradle but somewhat lapsed catholic, i think the book reflects on spirituality during tough times very easily and thoughtfully.... i don't think it's too simplified, the life altering situations that main characters go through are too complex - deat...more
Alicia
The story intertwines the tales of three troubled students at a performing arts school in Chicago. The first student, whose mother has recently passed away and no longer wants to sing, finds an angel coin. The coin seems to possess a special power of bringing an angel into the bearer's life who helps them get back on track.

While the book mentions modern-day technologies like Facebook, cell phones and texting, this story feels like it actually may have been written several decades ago. The chara...more
Melissa (i swim for oceans)
Bette is lost. Since her mother’s death, she’s lost her will to sing, and she feels like she’s in a long tunnel in the dark with no true way out. Then one day, Bette remembers the unique coin she once found with an angel on it, and she sees a little light in her life again. Things begin to turn around and her life starts getting back on track. Then, we meet Joe, an angry classmate who steals her coin, and his luck begins to change, too. The cycle continues and it becomes apparent that the coin i...more
H
Three students in a magnet school for performing arts in Chicago are changed when they each take possession of a small medallion with an angel on it. Each student (Bette, who has lost her mother; Joe, who is a neighborhood kid living near poverty who has "no talent" and is in the school on hardship grounds; and Vivi, who suffers with debillitating asthma and side effects of medicines that make her appearance change) meets a mysterious person who helps them work past their problems. Would be a go...more
Kathy Martin
This is a nice middle grade story about friendship and rising above adversity that takes place at a performing arts magnet school in Chicago. Bette has a beautiful voice but lost her will to sing when her mother died in a car accident until a women named Gabi moves in the apartment downstairs. Joe is at the school for hardship reasons. It is his neighborhood school. He needed to take care of his poor, single parent mother when she had lung problems. He is angry and he is a bully but he is a skil...more
Grace
This novel is a wonderful addition to my growing pile of all time favorites. I don't know if its kid lit or young adult. It relays the story of 3 middle school kids who attend the same arts school. They each have had a major event in their lives that causes deep, overwhelming sadness and an inability to access their talent. Then each one takes turn holding onto an angel medallion and while it's in their possession, their lives begin to change and to reopen to possibilities of being happy and con...more
Kathryn Mueller
I wouldn't say that this is an especially life-changing or inspiring book. And I certainly don't think that its pseudo-spiritual ideas reflect the reality of what God has made and given us in creation. But I do believe in angels and even though I don't know what form they take in the world, this is a truly sweet story that has certainly made me think about how well I listen and learn from others. And of course, it also makes me consider the power of kind words and actions and a few moments of si...more
Peggy
Teenage book about finding a place for oneself in the "mean" world. The story is of a girl who has problems because she has lost her mother, in the story she "accidently" becomes friends with other kids who also have their own demons to deal with. In being kind and respectful to others each comes to accept themselves. They attribute this all to a little pocket coing with an angel on it that is passed on from one person to another, until it finally gets back to the original owner.

It's a good boo...more
Amanda
This was a cute and clever story about the power of God. It starts off with Bette finding an angel coin. Suddenly she has confidence in herself and can overcome her troubles. A new neighbor, Gabby (Gabriel), appears and she has a friend. As each kid finds the angel coin, good things happen - little tiny miracles. This was a heartwarming story about how a different perspective can change everything.
Ashley
Blah. If you are looking for a slightly heartwarming story of kids dealing with their issues, you will probably love it. I mean, you have the girl with the dead mom, the boy with the absent father/sick mother/no money, and the girl with health and body issues. It is all there with a lame magic coin plot device. It was nicely written, though.
Susan P
In a story told from three different perspectives, an angel coin helps three young teens work their way through some major problems. Bette, Joe and Vivi all go to the same performing arts school, whose performance of the musical Big River unites friend and foe. This was a good read, but it's a long book, which might be off putting for some.
Meg
This is a realistic fiction story about 4 Eighth Graders who share a coin that gives each of them luck throughout the book. The subjects of bullying and physical illness are handled in an sensitive manner. It is engaging and would be enjoyed by intermediate students up to high school age.
Abby Johnson
Not my thing - a little too saccharine, with kids that seemed to act young for their age. But it's definitely something to hand to parents wanting their kids to read something with a "good message". Even though it's not really Christian fiction, it will please fans of that genre, as well.
Shawn
This is a satisfying story about eighth-graders in an arts magnet school. Each student experiences a resolution to a problem or a move forward in life after owning an angel coin. Although angels are referenced in the story, religion is not prominent.
Mary Ann
It was uplifting to read a book about students with real problems (for a teen, and even older persons as well) and yet they managed to resolve those problems in a positive manner! YEA!!
Nancy
Young teenage kids that seem to get some good luck in their lives in an unusual way, unlikely friends becoming friends...making better decisions. Nicely written for younger teens.
Scott
Angel in my pocket was great! I got a look at a lot of peoples lives and this book was really nice to read. If you are looking for a good realistic fiction book you should read this book.
Melissa
Sweet story about four kids who find themselves by turns in possession of a little coin with an angel stamped on it, and the ways they change and grow while they have it.
Noa
Jul 08, 2013 Noa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: library
this book was awesome. at some parts it got boring but it was still really good. as i always say...

Sequel please!
Brenda
Very cute story -- but not enough edge for my taste.
Melissa
Nice story. Nothing spectacular, though.
Eme
i loved this book! it was so adorable!
Annmarie
Annmarie marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
MaryJo
MaryJo marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
The Golden Rule Absolutely Lucy (Absolutely Lucy, #1) Lucy on the Loose (Absolutely Lucy, #2) Up Close: Oprah Winfrey (Up Close) Jake's Best Thumb