Start by marking “Too Deep for Words: Rediscovering Lectio Divina” as Want to Read:
Too Deep for Words: Rediscovering Lectio Divina

Too Deep for Words: Rediscovering Lectio Divina

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Retrieves from obscurity the lost art of contemplative prayer as practiced for sixteen centuries in monastic tradition, and provides 500 thematically arranged scripture texts as rich resources for this intimate prayer.
Published December 1st 1988 by Paulist Press (first published May 27th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Too Deep for Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Deep for Words

Adam
Thelma Hall's short book (her discussion of lectio consisting of only 56 pages) is a excellent introduction to lectio divina. She does a great job of putting this practice into the greater context of contemplation and an ever deepening relationship with God. She is very cognizant of Thomas Merton's writings and much of her discussion takes into account his reflections on the true self vis-a-vis the false self. One of the many strengths of this short work is her discussion on the transition to an ...more
Eli Mostrales
It's a five-star book ... [mere words cannot describe the simplicity with which it succeeds in... describing our walk with the Lord Jesus Christ ... & recommending a "methodless method" to continue & enjoy our communion with God]
John Poston
Sad that I gave this one away because I want to read it again! This book seriously deepened my prayer life.
Benjamin Vineyard
The gift of this book is the collection of Scripture texts for prayer. The second half of the book is this list and I've devoured it, sharing it with others.

The front material, Hall's thoughts on prayer, Scripture, and the discerned Christian walk, are well written and accessible. More than accessible, delightful and energizing. It's a happy thing to come across an author I've never heard of and to resonate deeply with their words. This is what's happening for me.

Finally, I keep seeing somethi
Julie Mihevc
Excellent, how-to of Lectio Divina.
Jobie
This is was a pretty fair primer for Lectio Divina. It was a quick read, well thought out, and informative. For primer and may get a little complex for a casual reader. It wasn't the most thorough treatment of Latino Divina. It becomes a little esoteric when it could be a little more pragmatic. Some might argue this point however when you're talking about any spiritual practice I think clear concise direction is in order. For the most part she gave that direction. There were a few times when she ...more
Lisa
Love this for reference. If you love to do lectio divina, this book gives you Bible passages by topic.
John Stygles
This is a good "Primer" for someone just beginning their time with Lectio Divina.
Mark
Great answer to what I have been seeking. The first half of the book is a straightforward explanation of lectio divina in its parts. The second half is a generous selection of verses to apply the disciplines from the first half. Thelma Hall has done an excellent job making the ancient practices accessible to a contemporary audience. Thanks.
Becky
Some really great stuff in the book, I just don't think certain topics were well explained.
Michelle
Jan 20, 2008 Michelle marked it as to-read
This seems like a good one for introducing Lectio Divina, it also give specific passages to focus on.
Kevin Wildman
Kevin Wildman marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Blake Chenoweth
Blake Chenoweth is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2015
John English
John English marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Jason Logue
Jason Logue marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
MaryAnn
MaryAnn marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Peggy
Peggy marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Jayme
Jayme marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Rodolfo Villaruz
Rodolfo Villaruz marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Lorraine Loria
Lorraine Loria marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Lisa Mayberry
Lisa Mayberry is currently reading it
Feb 28, 2015