Singularity 7

Singularity 7

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Earth is forever changed one dark summer night when tiny alien machines known as nanites drift down from outer space. They transform a normal human into a god-like being known as the Singularity, who drives the remnants of humanity underground and to the brink of extinction. Now Earth's only hope lies in the hands of a rag-tag group of "Specials" - humans mysteriously immu...more
Published February 8th 2005 by IDW Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Singularity 7, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Singularity 7

Story
Templesmith's art is rich, as always, ink splattered, water stained, haunting, filled with bleached out colors against a vibrant streak here or there, and lines suggestive of odd recognizable movement, quick smirks or stunned silences, but his story was ill-paced and empty. The concept is neat—world-devouring nano machines arriving on earth with an asteroid—but the execution is empty of any drive toward empathy. There are no real characters. None of them has a personality, unlike in Templesmith'...more
Will
Great art. Interesting ideas. Lousy plot.
Anna
I have recently discovered Ben Templesmith, initially through his artwork.. then when I expressed an interest on facebook, a friend very kindly let me borrow some of his work :)!

Singularity 7, the second Graphic Novel I have read (so far) that was both written and illustrated by Templesmith. I have to say I wasn't to hooked on this story, I felt it lacked some richness in his text, it kind of had a empty feeling about it and it didn't really grip me. I just persevered with reading it as I though...more
aaron
and to continue my reading for the next two days i finished singularity 7 which is one of ben templesmith's first works. this one is actually his first solo comic and wow is it ever a masterpiece. again, i am very biased when it comes to ben templesmith because i this he is fantastic! his art is always top notch and his storytelling is tight and entertaining. he never tries to go above and beyond what he is good at, but rather really plays to his own strengths. this is a comic of a world that ha...more
Lori
While I love Templesmith's artwork/style, the story seemed a bit lacking. The relationship between the mains characters has little time to develop, perhaps because he only had a few issues to work within; however, I still enjoyed the work as a whole. With post-apocalyptic being the current "in" topic in the writing world, this work stands up as an example of sacrifice with remorse while trying to stop the dying of the entire world.
Mike
Very cool little set of paintings wrapped around some apocalyptic future-settings. Templesmith creates some fascinating, organic, haunting imagery, and this time around he adds his own storytelling to the mix, with good though stunted results. I enjoyed this, especially for the outright ballsiness of taking on some "deep science speculation" and making it sound about right *and* fun to read. Awesome ending to the story BTW.
Trike
I mostly enjoyed this science fiction post-apocalypse novel. Being used to Templesmith's work in conjunction with horror, it's interesting to see him adding a slight twist to his usual oeuvre. I didn't find it amazing in its storytelling the way I did with 30 Days of Night or Criminal Macabre and a lot of questions are left unanswered, but overall I was entertained by a very grim subject.
Obisbooks
Read this for Templesmith's art, the story was ok. Nanites arrive from space and the human race is in a fight for survival. The original "infected one" the at first makes things better, then starts changing the earth forcing the surviving humans underground. One big battle at the end, with the arrival of the Masters of the nanites and it all comes to an interesting conclusion.
J
Aug 07, 2008 J rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Singularity 7 is a really creative, interesting look at a future where microscopic machines have irrevocably altered the world forever. Killing technology, indeed. An insane “god” rules the people and a tiny handful of renegades set out to end his reign. Good writing but what’s killer is the art. Scary, grim and fluid.
Ray Saltrelli
I wanted to like this book. When I read the synopsis, it sounded cool. But it ended up falling way short. The plot was very rushed, the characters were shallow, the dialog wreaked of action movie cliche. Very disappointing ....
Hannah
The art, as usual of Ben Templesmith, is more than stunning. The story is very lacking, though. Obviously, this novel serves more like an artbook than an actual novel.
Lacy Lalonde
My least favourite comic by Ben Templesmith. I just didnt really enjoy it, but of course the artwork was fantastic.
Hope
My least favorite of Templesmith's writing. The art was gorgeous but the story could have been much better.
Tom
A good book. Relatively quick, but Templesmith's art is as wonderful and engaging as always.
Celine
Complete series - no more issues.
Lisa
Bloody great graphic novel!
Jean Lesniak
Jean Lesniak marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Erika-Evely
Erika-Evely marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Bessie
Bessie added it
Aug 20, 2014
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Kay Honda
Kay Honda is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2014
Haybe
Haybe marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Illustrator and writer of graphic novels / comics.
------------
Photograph of author by Peow Yeong: October 16 2011 at the 2011 New York Comic Convention in Manhattan.
More about Ben Templesmith...
Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse, Volume 1: Birds, Bees, Blood & Beer Wormwood, Gentleman Corpse, Vol. 2: It Only Hurts When I Pee 30 Days of Night, Vol. 8: Red Snow Criminal Macabre  Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse, Volume 3: Calamari Rising