Start by marking “Thirteen Hours (Benny Griessel, #2)” as Want to Read:
Thirteen Hours (Benny Griessel, #2)

Thirteen Hours (Benny Griessel #2)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  3,331 Ratings  ·  392 Reviews
The finest novel yet from the undisputed king of South African crime writing, winner of the 2011 Boeke Prize in South Africa and shortlisted for the 2010 CWA International Dagger for Best Translated Crime Fiction.
Published May 1st 2011 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2008)

Dirk Grobbelaar

Thirteen Hours Review – Redux

I attended a Deon Meyer book signing this weekend and it played a big part in my decision to expand this review. At the time of writing this, Thirteen Hours is the only Meyer book I’ve read, but that is definitely about to change.

I’m not changing my rating, but I think some perspective is in order. South Africa is a country with eleven official languages, which should give you some idea of the cultural diversity. Why is this important? Meyer takes great snapshots of
Phrynne
Sep 22, 2016 Phrynne rated it it was amazing
Another great book by this South African writer. Set in Cape Town, post Apartheid, there is a lot of political and social fact in the book as well as a great fictional story. Benny, the main character is yet another alcoholic cop, but I like him. He is actually dealing with his problems (and he has many) and he is making progress with his life and maybe even with his career.
There are two main threads to this book, each following a different murder. I was slightly more interested in one than the
jo
Sep 27, 2012 jo rated it it was amazing
this book is good and engaging and fun and informative. it has the mainstay-ish worn-out alcoholic cop and the mainstay-ish young female victim, but unlike in most american thrillers, the story is complicated by the interracial dynamics of post-apartheid south africa. also, the female victim (not the one they kill right at the beginning, the other one) totally kicks ass.

i didn't know many things about south africa and now i know some. they are pretty basic things, like that afrikaans is a langu
Ian
May 28, 2014 Ian rated it really liked it
I hadn't actually heard of this author, who writes in Afrikaans, until I heard him being interviewed on a BBC Radio Programme some months ago. I was intrigued by what he said and by the setting of his novels in Cape Town, one of the relatively few places in the world I have personally visited.

An initial synopsis of this novel makes it sound like "crime writing by the numbers". The lead character, Inspector Benny Griessel, is a middle-aged detective with a drink problem and marital troubles, and
orsodimondo
CORSA CONTRO IL TEMPO
Tredici ore soltanto: per risolvere due delitti, e il caso di una ragazza sequestrata, e il tentato suicidio di un’ex grande cantante, e un losco traffico, e una vita che va a rotoli, e una carriera che non decolla, e un paese che combatte nel post-apartheid, e…
Il tempo incalza per i personaggi e il fiato corto viene anche al lettore che non riesce a mettere giù un libro così, perché rimane incollato alle dita.

Ma Deon Meyer non ci racconta ‘solo’ una serie di delitti e situa
switterbug (Betsey)
Feb 22, 2011 switterbug (Betsey) rated it it was amazing
Afrikaner Deon Meyer's latest pulse-pounding thriller hits the ground running--literally. In Cape Town, South Africa, at six in the morning, an American teenage tourist is running for her life. Her best friend's throat was slit in front of her and she is bolting from the perpetrators' clutches. The story hits its stride early and swiftly as events unfold over thirteen-hours. Vicious outlaws and the snarl of conspiracy; Afrikaner, Xhosa, and Zulu crime-fighters; and crooners and corporate fleecer ...more
Sonja Arlow
My eerste probeerslag met n Deon Meyer boek was ‘n Engels vertaalde sample wat ek by Amazon gekry het en vir een of ander rede kon ek nie in die storie kom nie en het dit na die eerste paar bladsye eenkant gesit.

Ek het 3 van sy boeke vir die afgelope 6 maande heen en weer karwy na en van my boek club met die beste voorwensels om ten minste een te lees. So toe ek uiteindelik een lees kon myself skop omdat ek so lank gevat het om dit te doen.

Hierdie is ‘n vinnige aksie belaaide speurverhaal wat jo
Leanne Hunt
Jan 13, 2014 Leanne Hunt rated it it was amazing
My first Deon Meyer book, "Thirteen Hours" was a huge discovery for me. This author is well-loved among crime fiction readers but I was under the impression his stories were all action and no character exploration. I was wrong. The characters in this novel are sensitively portrayed in vivid detail, making it easy for the reader to relate to and sympathise with them.

I loved the fact that the story was set in Cape Town and used familiar locations such as streets, hospitals, police stations and nat
Florian
Jan 27, 2012 Florian rated it really liked it
Karina
Nov 27, 2014 Karina rated it really liked it
Rachel Anderson, een jonge Amerikaanse vrouw, wordt opgejaagd door een bende jongeren die haar vriendin zopas vermoord hebben. Deon Meyer schrijft hier een heel goed opgebouwde thriller met een interessante detective (Benny Griessel). Het is een soort city novel (naar analogie van road movie) met Cape Town in de hoofdrol. En passant komt de Zuidafrikaanse maatschappij ook nog aan bod. Vierde ster is te danken aan het feit dat ik vrijwel alle plekken herkende ;)
Ruth
Feb 07, 2017 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, crime, read-2017
Eine Schande, dass dieses Buch so lange ungelesen auf meinem E-Reader dahin vegetierte. Ich glaube, ich habe selten einen so spannenden Countdown auf ein unerbittliches Finale gelesen, das dann noch durch eine über die Vorstellungen – des Lesers wie der Ermittler – hinausgehende Auflösung getoppt wurde ... Wow!

Bennie Griessel wird um 5 Uhr 37 von einem Telefonanruf unsanft aus dem Schlummer gerissen, da eine Frauenleiche, die sich später als junge Amerikanerin herausstellt, aufgefunden wurde. Di
Joyce Lagow
Dec 18, 2010 Joyce Lagow rated it it was amazing

Africa enjoys a number of very fine mystery/police procedural/thriller writers. One of the best is Deon Meyer, writing in Afrikaans, who turns out exciting, fast-paced, well-written thrillers set in today’s South Africa.

His latest is 13 Hours, a sequel, in a way, to Devil’s Peak, whose events take place before this book. But it isn’t necessary to read Devil’s Peak before this book, although I recommend it as an outstanding book on its own.

Detective Bennie Griessel of the South African Police Ser
Anne-Jan
Jul 25, 2014 Anne-Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Na het lezen van Duivelspiek, het eerste boek met inspecteur Bennie Griessel, ben ik gelijk verder gegaan met het tweede boek 13 uur.
En dit was wederom een zeer prettige leeservaring! Deon Meyer is een enorm goede schrijver, alles wordt tot in detail beschreven alsof je er zelf bij bent en alle karakters zijn zeer overtuigend.
Het leuke en mooie van dit boek vond ik ook dat het zich afspeelt op 1 dag. Er wordt een jonge vrouw vermist, aan inspecteur Griessel de taak om haar terug te vinden, dit
Cynthia
I got this book through First-Reads.

Thirteen Hours was a very intriguing read and forced me to really focus. The characters are well defined, great detail throughout the book, and the overall story was really good. Everything in this book takes place within a thirteen hour period. The book is a long read at 584 pages, and jam-packed.

I know literally nothing about South Africa, which is the setting of the story (Capetown), or the language. Although this book was translated from Afrikaans to Engl
Paula Gruben
Nov 11, 2015 Paula Gruben rated it liked it
This was my first Deon Meyer, & I came away with mixed feelings. Within the genre of 'crime fiction', I'd say 'Thirteen Hours' is best described as 'hard-boiled detective fiction'. What it lacks in forensic sophistication à la Patricia Cornwell, it makes up for in Dan Brown-esque suspense & pacing. As a fellow South African, I enjoyed Meyer's use of colloquialisms & local references, & had a good chuckle at his scathing sociopolitical commentary on the country via various charact ...more
Sharon
Sep 12, 2011 Sharon rated it it was amazing
This is a sophisticated, well-written suspense story set in Cape Town, South Africa, though it might have been in any town but for the details. For those who like this genre, the author should be well known and loved. He writes so much better than many in the genre. The story details are well-researched and the plot flows along with natural dialogue, keeping the reader guessing at every turn, and there are many. The characters seem real; I know people who could step right into some of these role ...more
Chrstina Scholtz
Ek moes lank wik en weeg oor watter ster ek die boek wou gee. Ek dink dat ek laas in Afrikaans gelees het toe ek op skool was en was nie seker of ek die wou aanpak of nie.

Deon Meyer se 13 Uur gryp jou van die begin af en ek kon net nie opbou lees nie. Die karakters is ryk, en mens word vining betrokke by elkeen. Die menslikheid van die ou man om 'n onbekende jong meise te prober red (en met 'n Ma van dieselfde ouderdom kan ek vir jou se sy sou presies dieselfde gedoen het!). Die intense ondersoe
Katy
Jan 11, 2014 Katy rated it really liked it
I don't know why I've never read Deon Meyer before, perhaps because he writes in Afrikaans. but I'm so pleased to have discovered English translations, they've been out for a while of course. I am now slightly obsessed and have read five of his books in the last month. As a South African born author myself, I do find it hard reading about the old 'homeland' but understanding the politics and language only makes it a better read for me. The stories are gripping and the flawed heroes make the book ...more
Chris
Jul 25, 2010 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another super thriller that tested my powers of self-restraint from reading in less than 13 hours, as I wanted to savor it. Life and death struggle to find a missing girl. Two murders. The chief investigator, Griessel, is a familiar face struggling with personal demons. We are introduced to some new subordinates who are trying to figure out just who this burned out white guy in charge of them is. Lots of suspense and twists in this one-the motives are a complete surprise. Should be a movie just ...more
Gareth
Dec 04, 2011 Gareth rated it it was amazing
I'm fortunate to live in Cape Town, but don't read much South African fiction due to the generally poor standard of such writing.

What a huge thrill, then, to watch the places of my town leap to life off the pages of 13 hours in Deon Meyer's sensational book.

I'd heard the rumours about Deon Meyer's books being of international quality, but was still skeptical - well I needn't have worried. A tight and and harrowing storyline, outstanding characters and Meyer's ability to set a world class book in
Mark
Jan 31, 2015 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
Fast paced detective thriller set in Cape Town with Bennie Griesel working 2 murder cases during the course of a dramatic day. Good characterisations of the various police officers, suspects, victims and bystanders, coupled with sharp descriptions of a wonderful setting and great pacing make this one of my favourite reads so far this year. The only downside seemed to be an unconvincing explanation why the victim chose not to trust the police from the start.
Tony Maxwell
May 21, 2012 Tony Maxwell rated it really liked it
One of Deon Meyer's best but, as a South African expat, I like nearly all of Meyer's books. I have just heard that British actor, Sean Bean, will portray Detective Bennie Griessel in an upcoming movie to be shot in Cape Town in September. Producer Michael Murphey's credits include District 9, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and Nightmare on Elm Street.
Steve Land
Jul 08, 2015 Steve Land rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
pleasantly surprising, and surprisingly insightful

Not a genre that I would normally even consider looking at, but thankfully it was recommended to me. An engrossing read with great character portrayal.
Kim Anderssen
May 22, 2016 Kim Anderssen rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, fast paced read set in Cape Town. Love the flawed local detective, Benny Griessel. I could not put down this book. There is something about it that grips you and makes you want to read it and see how it turns out long after you should be turning out the light.
Annalie
Oct 02, 2011 Annalie rated it it was amazing
One of the best crime novels I've ever read. Deon Meyer is in the same league as Peter Temple, Stieg Larsson and Michael Connolly, so if you enjoy these authors, I can highly recommend this book.
Pieter Müller
Oct 12, 2015 Pieter Müller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Starts off a bit slow but pick up a lot of pace in the second half, and by the end it's impossible to put down. Loved the Cape Town setting.
Michelle
Sep 10, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Crime lovers
Recommended to Michelle by: Carin Burger
Brilliant South African author. Book set in Cape Town with a detective that follows and solves a case over 13 Hours. Very gorey in parts but great plot
Annabee
Sep 17, 2012 Annabee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goed, maar 'too much' naar mijn smaak. Recensie volgt.
Kitty Kilian
Dec 05, 2016 Kitty Kilian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thrillers
I listened to this book as an audiobook - narrated by SAUL REICHLIN - and loved how he mastered all the different South-African accents and languages. Audiobooks can really improve a reading experience this way. The book is fast paced and suspension is built in quickly - with lots of quick cutovers to different scenes. Very movie-like. The people that populate it are however what make it a very enjoyable read - as always with the best thrillers. Recovering alcoholic Benny Griessel, the ueber-pol ...more
Kerry
Mar 05, 2017 Kerry rated it did not like it
I'm obviously the exception to the rule because I see this book has an average rating of over 4 stars. I accidentally started "reading" this book (I got the audio version) thinking I had picked up "13 Hours"- the book about the Benghazi story. I listened to the entire first CD - I think I got to Chapter 5 or so. The language was so strong and the story line so grizzly and morbid that I decided not to finish reading it. Definitely not my type of book.
  • Der Trümmermörder
  • Water Music (Clare Hart, #5)
  • Dschinnland (Die Sturmkönige, #1)
  • Random Violence (Jade de Jong, #1)
  • Death of the Mantis (Detective Kubu, #3)
  • A Beautiful Place to Die (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #1)
  • Snapshot (Inspector Challis, #3)
  • The Golden Scales (Makana, #1)
  • Zulu
  • Wake Up Dead: A Cape Town Thriller
  • A Change of Tongue
  • Collusion (Jack Lennon Investigations #2)
  • Deadly Defiance (Stan Turner, #10)
  • Byleveld: Dossier of a Serial Sleuth (Kindle Edition)
  • Griet skryf  'n sprokie
Deon Meyer was born in the South African town of Paarl in the winelands of the Western Cape in 1958, and grew up in Klerksdorp, in the gold mining region of Northwest Province.

After military duty and studying at the Potchefstroom University, he joined Die Volksblad, a daily newspaper in Bloemfontein as a reporter. Since then, he has worked as press liaison, advertising copywriter, creative directo
More about Deon Meyer...

Benny Griessel (5 books)
  • Devil's Peak (Benny Griessel, #1)
  • 7 dae (Bennie Griessel, #3)
  • Cobra (Benny Griessel, #4)
  • Icarus (Benny Griessel, #5)