Start by marking “Be Ready When the Sh*t Goes Down: A Survival Guide to the Apocalypse” as Want to Read:
Be Ready When the Sh*t Goes Down: A Survival Guide to the Apocalypse

Be Ready When the Sh*t Goes Down: A Survival Guide to the Apocalypse

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  557 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Do you really need to buy this book? You gotta ask yourself one question: Are you going to be ready when the sh*t goes down? Here is a quick checklist:

1. Have you dug up your wife's rose garden and built a fallout shelter, equipped with a prison where you can lock up annoying family members?

2. Have you mapped out an escape route to your safe zone?

3. Is there a vehicle of d
Published August 3rd 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published August 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Be Ready When the Sh*t Goes Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Ready When the Sh*t Goes Down

Greg
A Book Review and Fight Predictions for UFC 128

This is a post-apocolyptic survival manual written by season one The Ultimate Fighter winner and brief UFC light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin. The book covers all the important parts of surviving after the shit goes down. You learn how to shoot a gun, hotwire a car, build a vehicle of death (with instructions of Zakk Wylde, who I never knew was an authority on building bad-ass Mad Max style trucks), properly administer a rear-naked choke (I'
Andrew
When I walked past this book at the library the cover was too good to not take a chance.

Full Disclosure: I had no idea who Forrest Griffin was. I don't watch UFC...etc.

Honestly upon finding out about the occupation of the author I was a bit turned off. I stuck with it for a hundred or so pages because his writing style is entertaining enough. The book is obvious satire about how to survive the apocalypse. It seems like the kind of book that you'd find in an Urban Outfitters marketed as a coffee
Artiom Karsiuk
You take one good look at the cover [which is utterly awesome, by the way], you read the title, you see the name of the author and you put two and two together: "Hey this is a comedy book" you'd think. And you'd only be half-right. At best.
Now let me explain what I mean. Most of us have a silly thing we believe in - be it squatches, little green men [or "engineers" if you want to be hip and trendy], chemtrails or even an underground race of mole people who are plotting to take over the World -
Jenny
i should not have read this book. it wasn't written for me.

to be fair, the author pretty blatantly states that this book is written for "dudes." i would contract that criteria to, "dudes that are into mixed martial arts and more specifically are forrest griffin fan boys." because really, it's just a vehicle for a fairly intelligent but probably a little brain damaged guy, and his friends, to share things he thinks, not at all limited to the apocalypse. and that's ok. i just should have listened
Stephen
If there's one thing I have learned in my near 30-plus years on this planet is that we are all going to die very very soon. Our air is polluted, our water is toxic, our cows are mad and either a surplus of guns or a lack of guns will kill us all. Either way, we're doomed. I was ready to throw my life away and embrace the cold, bony fingers of death for my Final Resting Solution. But just when it seemed like the cruel whims of a sadistic and evil world would reap my very soul, I stumbled upon thi ...more
Patrick
Another funny book from UFC fighter Forrest Griffin (again co-written with Erich Krauss), this time focusing on guiding the reader though surviving the end of the world. Like his previous book, "Got Fight?" it starts with a quiz on whether or not you are manly enough to even read it. Then he tells you how to prepare, such as what to put in your Go Bag, how to make a Vehicle of Death. Next comes his outline of various doomsday scenarios, including economic meltdown, asteroid, nuclear war, incurab ...more
Gina Panettieri
To really get into this book, you have to be able to handle guy humor and it helps tremendously if you follow UFC, since there are inside jokes sprinkled throughout the book that elude to specific fighters and events in Forrest's career. Don't think this is actually in the new quasi-serious apocaplypse survival genre. This is pure Forrest insanity, covering advice on such diverse topics as forming your own religion with you at the lead, how to build the perfect vehicle for surviving a post-apoca ...more
Will
I have read a crap load of survival books this book is by far the most entertaining of the bunch. I have to say I have never laughed so hard in such a long time. Forest Griffin is a MMA fighter and it seems a survivalist. This book has some interesting facts and ideas about surviving in a post apocalyptic world. It also, as the cover gives a clue to, is filled with humor. Give it a read you will love it.

Yeah it is that funny. But in all honesty saying this is a true survival manual is like sayin
Griffin Mize
1. a. My favorite part about this book is how realistic most of forrest's advice is. I expected the whole book to be more of a big joke.
b. There wasnt much that I didnt like about this book, but there was a few parts his jokes went a little overboard.
c."If you still doubt Forrest's future role as the messiah of all mankind, he only has two words for you-ketchup packets." page 245
d. What does it mean to survive?
2. a. Miles Cumpston, "Why sometimes, is it okay to do something bad, but other tim
Max
So Forrest Griffin is a mentally challenged gun nut who included "serious section" on god in a 240 plus dick joke book.

Despite that he's pretty damn funny. He's as much self-effacing as he ridicules his audience. He doesn't shy away from anything and is completely shameless.

He answers some pressing questions like why you should run away from a mass audience when you're about to cry in front of a million viewers, how to wipe yourself post apocalypse and the self-doubt that comes along with sleepi
Tim Miller
Griffin's writing smacks of the late Hunter S. Thompson's Gonzo style. I'd recommend this book for guys. Girls: not so much. Griffin can write really well, but he digresses to potty jokes one too many times for me. Other than that, the raw, driven aggression of his prose, coupled with his weird, yet overall hilarious sense of humor made me look forward to future books by he and Erich Krauss. There's even a few good factoids for survival in there. Good luck finding them in all the satire and slap ...more
Thomas
I've been a big fan of the UFC since the second PPV and Forrest deserves the hype of being pivotal in how popular MMA has become after his stint on the first season of The Ultimate Fighter (and in a later season as a coach).

If you know him - you know what to expect in this bizarre little book. Who else can develop a way to survive the apocalypse mentioning Pascal's Gambit one minute, MMA for the elderly the next, his perverted lust for deer, and hints on surviving a nuclear war.

Definitely a fun
Travis Smith
This is the second book from Forrest Griffin I’ve read the first his first one "got fight". I’m a huge MMA fan and have always enjoyed Forrest Griffin fights since he was on the ultimate fighter. This book is about how to survive the apocalypse according to him. It is a very funny and enjoyable book it is also very fast to read even for a slow reader like me. Though I personally like got fight better this is still a great book and if you don’t want some crazy persons guide to living when the end ...more
Jason Bates
Forrest and Erich went at it again in this book that should be saved in a vault with America's greatest works of art. If aliens landed on this planet long after we were extinct, I'd like to think they'd find only this remaining remnant of what humanity was. Forrest actually has pretty good survivalist ideology. Him and his wife are extreme gun nuts (as am I) and will probably meet up with Zakk Wylde and all start their own religion/cult in a dilapidated mansion somewhere after the shit ones down ...more
Christina Wright
This is another awesome book by Forrest griffin, my favorite UFC fighter! It's raunchy, it's satirical and smart-a^^, and yes, it is clearly written for the men readers. That being said, as a female and a mom nonetheless, I scored well on his quiz at the beginning of the book so yup...I read it cover to cover LOL! My favs are always his grey boxes. If you like movies like American Pie unrated and characters more like Steven Stifler, then I suggest you read this book. If not or if you are easily ...more
Jeremy
Funny book and if you liked his first book "Got Fight?" you'll probably like this one too. I personally found Got Fight? more interesting due to the stronger MMA connection and being a bit more autobiographical. The most enjoyable parts of the book for me were the ones that repeated that: the little blurbs from friends or from Forrest about real situations or stories about his past. Outside of that, the book was still an easy read and had some really funny stuff in it.
Katie
There's a decent chance I might be slightly mentally unfit, but I loved the hell out of this book and read it in a few hours. I laughed out loud quite often. If you don't notice that it contains super offensive material, then you probably can't read anyway. Frankly, this book is after my heart as I more than enjoy irreverence.

If I knew anyone that read books, I would buy this for them (or highly suggest they get a copy from the library, as I did). But, alas, I do not.
Ashley
I wasn't expecting too much from this book, given how ridiculous the book jacket is. It's pretty much what I thought it would be - lots of toilet humor and moderately entertaining anecdotes.

The one major gripe I had was with the amount of errors in this book. I was really surprised at amount of misspelled words and incorrect grammar I found. Shame on the editor for letting this book go to print with so many mistakes.

Check this one out from the library.
Amy
DNF

If you like reading useless comedy, this is for you. But for me, with the little amount of time I actually get to read, it just felt like a waste spending that time reading something like this. Don't get me wrong, I love Forest Griffin and I find him incredibly funny, but I'd rather watch a standup comedy act by him or something (not that he does that, but he should! LOL)... And so in the end, I decided to toss this one out.
Ana
This was surprisingly educational. I started skimming it in the bookstore - it caught my eye - and I knew I had to have it. I must disclose that it is certainly not for younger audiences or the easily offended (though this should have been obvious by the title.) However, this book can help you figure out how it'll go down, how to survive when it goes down, and how to rise above the ashes after it goes down.
Spencer
Better than the first one, at least in terms of editing and writing. The subject matter was unhelpful and the tone was (like the first one) sort of grossly immature and delinquent, though not as offensive as the first. I think most, if not all, involved are insane. A light read, probably not good for the IQ, but no worse for you than watching a couple of episodes of Jersey Shore, I would venture.
Cesar
Hilarious.
I love his writing style. I think his humor is what keeps you reading for sure. Most of the survival tips he shares seem legit, but the book is peppered with examples of Forrest being Forrest.

If you're looking for a serious survival guide, this might not be it. But if you want to take a trip into the mind of a clown that shares the occasional valuable tip, this is a good read.
Chris
Forrest is a great overall entertainer showing as much a knack for writing as knocking people's blocks off. This is a really funny novel and a hilarious parody of all the armageddon paranoia thats surfaced in recent years. Zakk Wylde's tips cracked me up as well. I just hope people do take their tips seriously, I'll need slaves when society collapses.
Anna Ghislena
Ok, this is a book for blokes but hell it made me laugh too. Forrest Griffin, UFC champ, has a wicked humour that is also also profoundly "naughty schoolboy". It is a hilarious manual on surviving the end of the apocalypse with entertaining anecdotes from names such as Zakk Wylde. I would read this again and laugh harder every time!
Alisa
Aug 31, 2010 Alisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: funny
This was Friggin Great!! I knew it was going to be good when on the back cover of the book, the authors mother has a disclaimer about please understanding that she raised her son to be a good kid and that she knows you cant tell that by the contents of the book...lol.. talking about post appocoliptic life..lol.. just great.
Zubey
Ever kinda want a Twinkie, so you open a box and eat one? Then, you just kinda eat another. And another. A few minutes later, you're looking down at an empty box with that artificial sponge cake taste in your mouth, feeling disgusted with yourself. And you think to yourself, "And I don't even •like• Twinkies"
Laurie B-W
I laughed out loud at least once on every page while reading "Be Ready When the Shit Goes Down." At the same time, I think it has some useful information for me if "the shit goes down." (But, I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone who is easily offended.)
Greg
It's humorous and entertaining enough. The joke gets a little old about 75% of the way through, but there is some decent survivalist advice in here. If that's something you're into. Plus Forrest is self-deprecating enough that he keeps it fun.
Eric Compean
I thought it was funny, from a guys perspective, not my common reading material. It was more light reading, but I know feel apt on surviving the upcoming Apocalypse because of this book lol more like I'd be the first to go. It was an enjoyable read.
  • Iceman: My Fighting Life
  • The Voice of Reason: A V.I.P. Pass to Enlightenment
  • Why I Fight: The Belt Is Just an Accessory
  • Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival
  • When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need To Survive When Disaster Strikes
  • SAS Urban Survival Handbook (SAS Survival (HarperCollins))
  • Blood in the Cage: Mixed Martial Arts, Pat Miletich, and the Furious Rise of the UFC
  • Superman: Last Stand of New Krypton, Vol. 2
  • Your Survival: The Complete Resource for Disaster Planning and Recovery
  • Outdoor Survival Skills
  • The Unauthorized History of DX
  • Becoming the Natural: My Life In and Out of the Cage
  • Mental Floss Presents Be Amazing: Glow in the Dark, Control the Weather, Perform Your Own Surgery, Get Out of Jury Duty, Identify a Witch, Colonize a Nation, ... Girl, Make a Zombie, Start Your Own Religion
  • Dracula is a Racist: A Totally Factual Guide to Vampires
  • One Nation Under Sex: How the Private Lives of Presidents, First Ladies and Their Lovers Changed the Course of American History
  • American Outlaw
  • The Force Is Middling in This One: And Other Ruminations from the Outskirts of the Empire
  • Go, Mutants!
Got Fight?: The 50 Zen Principles of Hand-to-Face Combat Voll auf die Zwölf: Der Ultimate Fighter erklärt, wie du jeden Kampf gewinnst