Start by marking “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5)” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5)

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter #5)

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  1,305,846 ratings  ·  16,876 reviews
Harry is furious that he has been abandoned at the Dursleys' house for the summer, for he suspects that Voldemort is gathering an army, that he himself could be attacked, and that his so-called friends are keeping him in the dark. Finally being rescued by wizard bodyguards, he discovers that Dumbledore is regrouping the Order of the Phoenix - a secret society first formed ...more
Published June 21st 2003 by Bloomsbury

To ask other readers questions about Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, please sign up.

very LUCKY 13 Well I don't think it has anything to do with age. I mean the only thing the kid would be calling people is " Muggle!"-like I do. ;) but I think being…moreWell I don't think it has anything to do with age. I mean the only thing the kid would be calling people is " Muggle!"-like I do. ;) but I think being 10 and up and at least having an efficient vocabulary would help you more. The author writes in a fashion where anyone can understand what she'd talking about. It's not like they are going to be reading "A tale of Two Cities" or anything.

I hope this helped-remeber 10 or older! :)(less)
Gone by Julie Elizabeth PowellHarry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Star Realm by Julie Elizabeth PowellThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe New Homeowner's Guide to House Spirits by Alexei Maxim Russell
fantasy and myth.
11th out of 170 books — 44 voters
Gabriel's Inferno by Sylvain ReynardCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareAfter Forever Ends by Melodie RamoneFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
All Time Favorite Male Character
312th out of 329 books — 244 voters

More lists with this book...

Jess Michaelangelo
I cried like a little baby. J.K. Rowling really starts taking the series down a darker road in this book. She is so talented at character development, and it really shines in this book. Here, Harry is 15 years old, and for most of the book, he's whiny and self-centered, just like a typical teenager. I also adore Dumbledore's role in this book--his conversation at the end with Harry put me to tears. Rowling did an amazing job with the character of Umbridge...never have I hated a fictional charact ...more
Caris
Dear Amazon,

Congratulations on your recent acquisition of Goodreads. It is a good purchase, a meaningful one. It’s like buying someone else’s grandfather’s house. Or a classic car someone else rebuilt. You know it’s a quality product because a lot of folks really sunk their hearts into it. For a lot of us, it’s been a labor of love. We’ve spent years carefully cultivating this community that you were lucky enough to buy.

This occasion reminds me a lot of one of my favorite books, Harry Potter and
Nour Sharif
Edit #2: 25\7\2014
So I came across this article today, and for some reason, it made me happy!! I feel evil *evil laugh*

Edit #1: 8\3\2014
It has been four months that I posted this review. And so far I have received great feedback. Thank you everyone for your support ^^
Remember, this is not a benign cause.

I know that I have neglected the subject of the new Goodreads policy a lot recently, and I ought not to have done that. You see, I wasn’t very free re
Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ]

Interview with JK Rowling...
Stephen Fry: Can we settle an important question?

JK Rowling: Yes.

Stephen Fry: How do you pronounce your last name?

JK Rowling: It is Row-ling. As in rolling pin.

Stephen Fry: So if any of you hear someone pronounce her name “Rohw-ling”, you have my permission to hit them over the head with — not with Order of the Phoenix, that would be cruel. Something smaller, like a fridge.
Annie
Jun 28, 2007 Annie rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tried and true Harry Potter fans
hrrmmpp.
This is my least favourite of the Harry Potter series, and almost borders on the "don't bother". It is saved only by the virtue that it is a Harry Potter book and moves the series along to the still yet unknown finale.
My issues with it:
- deals with complex social/political problems in a simplified, extreme, and dichotomous manner
- characterisations are too easy/lazy- all good or all bad (with the exception of Snape who's good/evil intentions are yet unknown), all courageous or cowardly,
Navessa

Seriously, don't read this review if you haven't read the books.

The biggest compliment I can think to give an 870 page book is that I wish it had been longer. I wish this had been longer.

This book has always been my favorite in the series. Up until it, Harry’s story had been filled with light. Yes, yes, there were some tough parts, yes, yes, some darkness tinged the edges of the previous one, but honestly, that was a pretty happy book compared to this. Good still triumphed over evil, our hero
Inge

Dear Dolores Umbridge,

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

(view spoiler)
Manny

Bunny Suicide 1
Bunny Suicide 2
9 3/4
Harry Potter changed my life. If I hadn’t read Harry Potter when I did I would not be the same person today. What I am today, in a part is due to Harry. I cannot really say enough to make you understand how much Harry Potter means to me.

The copy I own is not signed by J. K. Rowling but it is signed by Daniel Radcliffe!

Keely
This is my favorite installment of the quintessential modern bildungsroman. Nevertheless, it has its problems, familiar to any reader of Rowling's.

She never seems to gain control of her writing, which spirals out into thousand-page doorstops filled with unimportant side characters and rambling plots. The story is moved along by arbitrary plot devices, often magic. Instead of using the magic to make her world seem more strange and wondrous, she uses it to cover up plot holes. Why write a consiste
Carmen Maloy
Oct 22, 2007 Carmen Maloy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
What stands out in book 5:

* Harry's outburst to his friends at No. 12 Grimmauld Place. A combination of frustration over being kept in the dark and fear that he will be expelled fuels much of Harry's anger, and it all comes out at once, directly aimed at Ron and Hermione. Rowling perfectly portrays Harry's frustration at being too old to shirk responsibility, but too young to be accepted as part of the fight that he knows is coming.
* Harry's detention with Professor Umbridge. Rowling shows her
Wile
I've been told this was the most difficult to read of the series and I found it to be true. Harry is full of teen angst and spends a lot of the book furious (and being quite infuriating) at the fact that nothing is happening, and that when things do happen, he's not allowed to be involved. Of course not being allowed do things should never stop a boy like Harry Potter from getting involved - except that amazingly it does.

This book isn’t really so much about Harry Potter, but about all the other
Jason Koivu
Why won't I let myself give this more than 3 stars?! I want to, I really do, but my cursor-moving finger won't budge! Let's investigate the whys!

Length - This is the longest book in the series. I love the Harry Potter series, so I should want more of it, right? I don't know, sometimes a lot is too much. Rowling did her best to pack a lot into this one and it feels too bulgy. If this was carry-on luggage, TSA would make her check it for going over the size limit.

Dolores Umbridge - What a great e
Nandakishore Varma

Below is the Off-topic review, seriously tongue in cheek.

I have reviewed the series as a whole, here.

OFF-TOPIC REVIEW

No, this review is not about the book. I have not read it, but I may read it in future.

This is about a similar situation here on GR: I call it

MANNY RAYNER AND THE ORDER OF THE HYDRA

The good Word Wizard, Manny, is on the warpath against the evil "Am..." - er, sorry - "The corporate entity which shall not be named". This incredibly evil being, compared to whom Lord Voldemort seem
Crazy Uncle Ryan
Mike (the Paladin)
Wonderful book...only complaint I ever heard was it was too short. Still the emotional toll of this book is heavier than the ones before and it is more a young "adult" book than a "youth" book. As I've pointed out before, the original "generation reading these books had more time to mature between the publishing date of each book. Now they can be bought all together. Harry goes through some amazingly tough times (and doesn't handle some of them too well). Read these books before you simply turn ...more
Liz*
"[Love] is at once more wonderful and more terrible than death, than human intelligence, than the forces of nature."

Luna is so sweet, I love every time she speaks. There's so much wisdom in her and you don't even know it.

You bet your sorry ass he's back and you and a-hole Perry can go and hide now...

This woman was seriously fucked up.

Still, I don't like bullies.

Book Ginny is amazing. Movie Ginny is criminal...

That ending. THAT ENDING. And only Dumbledore can say: it was all my fault because I
Nina
I bawled my eyes out during the last fifty pages. I cried for almost an hour. I went to sleep at 1 AM with a headache, tachycardia and a slight fever. I'm being perfectly Sirius. Oh God, no, that was so lame. I'm sorry, guys.

Aaannyyywwayyyy, this book shot my expectations through the roof. It's like J.K. Rowling keeps getting better, but to do this she needs to smash my heart to pieces that get smaller with every book.
For example, right here she has created my #1 Most Hated Character Of All Time
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
I started these books thinking I some what liked Harry Potter's story. I mean I had watched the movies. How much love could you expect a 44 year old woman to give to a children's book? I never imagined how these books would cast a spell on my heart and mind. I have slowed down in my reading of them just because I know the end of them is near and I know I'm going to shed some tears.
You think if you've watched the movies you know these stories...not. These books are just completely and utterly ma
Priscilla
Ugh.. my heart. So.. heavy.

Quick thoughts:

1. Really intense and dark.
2. Fantastical spells, jinxes, and charms. I love magic.
3. I want to know more about Moony, Padfoot and Prongs.
4. Writing is superb, invoking intense emotions. I almost cried .___.
5. Now I know why Weasly is my king :)

A month to finish?! T__T I do not like that.

Full review soon.
Shandra {The Happy New Mrs}
Initial thoughts: Holy wow!! That was by far the most emotional book in this series!!! This was an amazing book, but filled with so much unhappiness. Poor Harry... Review to come.

Review:

Actual rating: 5 solid, I-Hate-Being-A-Muggle stars!!! No story spoilers.

This series is one of those that I find impossible to review. Almost everyone has read them, and they've been reviewed a million times over. So really, what is there for lil ol' me to say?!

I'll give you some of my quick thoughts and feelin
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
So... I'm at my mother's house and there my old paperback edition of this book sits, taunting me, challenging me to read it for the hundredth time. How can I resist Harry??

This is my least favourite book in the series because Harry acts like a self-righteous jerk but it is still one of the best books I've ever read. And the end always makes me cry like a baby.

Chris
Since pretty much everyone I know has read these books, I figure reviewing them is pretty pointless. But with the new book coming out in a couple of days, I have to go through them beginning to end. To make the reviews more entertaining, I will be doing them in a variety of unexpected formats. For this review, I will be writing as an unnamed member of the Bush administration.

So, how long until we can get this Rowling woman into Gitmo?

I mean really, have you read this book? It's an 800-page diatr
Joe
After reading this book for a second time, I've decided to dock it a star. It's still a good book, very well written, but I have some grievances to bring to Ms. J.K.'s attention:

(SPOILER WARNING!!!!)

At 870 pages, it is very laborious to get through this tome when every other sentence brings a new disaster/ problem for Harry. Drama is fine, but to this level at this length is just overdoing it. Starting with the dementor attack in the first few pages and continuing through Umbridge's evilness, a
Rachel
Callista
First read in 2003; re-read in 2006.
I know some people who complained about Harry being so angry in this book, but I think he has the right to be. He’s traumatized over Voldemort’s return and Cedric’s death, very few people believe he’s telling the truth about Voldemort, and he’s being kept in the dark by the people he trusts and cares about. The formation of Dumbledore’s Army is enjoyable because it finally gives Harry a chance to take on a leadership role, and his fellow students get to learn
Ren the Unclean
Aug 07, 2007 Ren the Unclean rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hardcore Harry Potter fans only.
Shelves: fantasy
This is the worst Harry Potter book. The characterization is unbelievable and annoying, taking the various holes in the world J.K. has created with Harry Potter and throwing them in the face of the reader with the expectation that they will accept anything at this point. Events in the world that main characters (and by extension, the reader) find outrageous and crazy are accepted by everyone else in the world without adequate reasons for their acceptance.

Harry whines incessantly throughout this
Becky
Whew! Done! Oh man. I've read this book, I dunno... dozens of times, but for some reason, this UK edition just seemed UNENDING! The story was fantastic as usual, and gut-wrenching and heart-breaking and mind-blowing, but as someone who enjoys seeing their progress through books in the pages that make their way to the left side of the split, this book felt like a treadmill... I'm busting-butt on it, but I'm making no visible progress.

But ridiculously thick book gripes aside, this is my favorite
Katya
Hello, friends, and welcome back to my reviews of the Harrietta Potter books!

*sigh* We got a bad one today, folks. I just don't mean bad, I mean really, really bad! I've often given many stars to horrible books, as long as I liked the characters, so it probably won't surprise you that I deduct from a rating when an MC annoys/pisses me off.

Luckily, that doesn't happen very often! Only a handful of times, really. Bella Swan, Luce Price, Laurel Sewell, Ever Bloom, Nora Gray, Bethany Church... but
Devon
Jan 01, 2014 Devon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: own, favorites
what career would you choose ? 27 122 Nov 20, 2014 07:22PM
The Nooks of Books: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 3 5 Nov 10, 2014 03:14PM
What is the significance of the veil in the department of mysteries (spoilers!) 7 120 Nov 06, 2014 11:06AM
The Not a Book Cl...: HPatOotP: Part 5: Chapter 30 - Chapter 38 20 12 Nov 04, 2014 12:50AM
Siriusly? (possible spoiler) 30 318 Oct 29, 2014 08:31AM
Harry Potter or Percy Jackson or Hunger Games? 122 485 Oct 27, 2014 02:19PM
  • Squire (Protector of the Small, #3)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Brisingr  (The Inheritance Cycle, #3)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Other Side of Dawn (Tomorrow, #7)
  • The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)
  • Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)
  • The Wizard's Dilemma (Young Wizards, #5)
  • Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane (Underland Chronicles, #2)
  • Strife (Sweep, #9)
  • The Shamer's War (The Shamer Chronicles, #4)
  • The Rivers of Zadaa (Pendragon, #6)
  • A Gathering of Gargoyles (Darkangel Trilogy, #2)
  • Tunnels of Blood (Cirque Du Freak, #3)
  • The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, #3)
  • The Magicians of Caprona (Chrestomanci, #4)
  • The Arctic Incident (Artemis Fowl, #2)
  • The Valley of the Lost (Deltora Quest, #7)