Start by marking “Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House, #10)” as Want to Read:
Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House, #10)

Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House #10)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,458 Ratings  ·  215 Reviews
Kein Mensch weit und breit. Das magische Baumhaus hat Philipp und Anne in eine Geisterstadt entführt. Um sie herum nur Steppe und hohe Berge. Sie sind tatsächlich im Wilden Westen! Da plötzlich kommt Hufgetrappel näher. Eine galoppierende Pferdeherde donnert an den Geschwistern vorbei. Können Philipp und Anne dem netten Cowboy Slim helfen, die wilden Mustangs einzufangen? ...more
Published June 15th 2010 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published October 14th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Town at Sundown, please sign up.

A Perfect Time for Pandas by Mary Pope OsborneSummer of the Sea Serpent by Mary Pope OsborneLeprechaun in Late Winter by Mary Pope OsborneEve of the Emperor Penguin by Mary Pope OsborneNight of the New Magicians by Mary Pope Osborne
Magic Tree House
52nd out of 56 books — 60 voters
Dinosaurs Before Dark by Mary Pope OsborneLions at Lunchtime by Mary Pope OsborneThe Knight at Dawn by Mary Pope OsborneAfternoon on the Amazon by Mary Pope OsborneDay of the Dragon King by Mary Pope Osborne
Magic Tree House Series
11th out of 16 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda Carpenter
Jun 23, 2012 Amanda Carpenter rated it it was amazing
As I always say, my 8 year old niece brought me the first 2 of these books to read. She loves them and she wanted me to read them too so we can talk about them. I find them fun and informative for kids about different time periods and different things around the world.

I decided on book 5 to start reading them aloud for my dogs enjoyment too. (I know, you may think I am crazy - but they like them. Well one gets rather scared sometimes, but the other loves to listen). I think the writing was prac
Cathy
Dec 03, 2009 Cathy rated it really liked it
Lots of good facts in this one, the kids are well on their way to becoming Master Librarians. I enjoyed the mustangs the most, of course. It was cute that the kids got cowboy nicknames, Smiley and Shorty. Annie's seemed most appropriate. I love the classic time travel paradox at the end. And that as usual, the kids appreciate the pleasures of being home after their adventure.
Tonty Gibson
This book is about Jack and Annie’s time travel adventure to ‘Wild West America.’ Their friend, Morgan the enchantress gave them a book and a scroll which contained the riddle they needed to solve during their journey. They travelled on the ‘tree house’ which travelled through time and space. The ‘tree house’ landed in a ghost town in 1880 and they were welcomed by the sound of a rattlesnake but Jack and Annie were determined to find out more about the town. In the town, they found a piano that ...more
Maya Orama
Dec 07, 2014 Maya Orama rated it it was amazing
This book was about this boy name Jack and this girl name Annie going on a scary adventure . It was early in the morning Jack was reading a book and Annie was looking if the magic tree house came back for them to go on the next adventure Annie herd the magic tree house land she told Jack but he didn't want to miss lunch but Annie was very excited and ran into the frog creek woods. Jack hade to ran and get his sister Annie he found her and the magic tree house and their best friend Morgan was the ...more
Sarah Sammis
Dec 06, 2009 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it
Ghost Town at Sundown is the second of the four riddles and the tenth book in the Magic Tree House series. In this one, Jack and Annie go back to a ghost town in search of the answer the riddle.

While there they are frightened by a ghost, threatened by horse thieves and befriended by a wrangler of wild mustangs. Jack and Annie learn how to ride horses and Annie once again shows her talent at talking with animals.

Best of all is the time travel aspect of the book. In the other books I've read Jack
Macey Schoenick
Jan 10, 2013 Macey Schoenick rated it it was amazing
Jack and Annie are back at it again but this time they are at a Ghost Town at Sundown. Megan La Fey gave Jack and Annie another riddle to solve. The riddle this time is “Out of the blue my lonely voice calls out to you Who am I? Am I?” Jack and Annie find a wild mustang roaming around the ghost town. Annie names him sunset and a cowboy appears out of nowhere his name is Slim. Slim gives Jack and Annie nicknames “Shorty” for Jack and “Smiley” for Annie. Annie says Sunset is missing his mother and ...more
Lanie
We travel in a magic freaking treehouse, know Morgan le fey, & met a ghost in ancient Egypt. But we still don't want to believe in ghosts in the freaking ghost town?!

Really, jack? Really?

-_-

Bitch, please.

It's time to get over your scientific crap.

Whew! Breathe, Lanie.

:) ok, despite that rant just now, I really did enjoy this installment of "magic treehouse" I loved Cowboys & horses as a little kid, so this was always a favorite. :) I especially like the end of the novel where it ta
Stefano
Mar 11, 2016 Stefano rated it liked it
This book begins with Jack and Annie sitting on the front porch. Annie sees a rabbit with unusually long legs and tells Jack that it is a lucky sign of the return of the tree house. She eventually convinces Jack to follow the rabbit with her and when the rabbit stopped they both looked up to see the tree house. Morgan le Fay waved down at them and asked them if they were ready for their next riddle (part of their test to become master magicians) which they both simultaneously replied to with a y ...more
Conan Tigard
Nov 16, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this tenth installment of the Magic Tree House, it is the second book in the four part series solving four riddles for Morgan le Fay so the kids can become Master Librarians. This time the kids get to travel to one of my favorite places in history . . . the Old West.

There is quite a bit of humor in this book. Throughout the entire thing, Jack is trying to take off the cowboy boots he tried on. Try as he might, something always seems to interfere with him accomplishing this task.

Annie is up
Samantha
Feb 26, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it
Howdy partners!!!! We're heading out to the wild west for a rootin' tootin' good time. Jack & Annie are on a quest to solve Morgan's 2nd riddle. Along the way, we learn a lot.

Horse Rules: 1. soft hand 2. firm voice 3. sunny attitude 4. praise 5. reward

Such a fun adventure. Pull your boots on, tug on the reins and prepare yourself to split the wind. Y'all come back now, ya hear?
*rides off into the sunset*
Micah
Jul 26, 2016 Micah rated it it was amazing
Jack and Annie were waiting until they would get a sign that Morgan LeFey would give them a scroll to figure out a riddle. They were waiting at their house. They found a bunny that went into the woods. It took them to the tree house. They climbed up the rope ladder and found Morgan LeFey waiting inside. He gave them a book called Days of the Wild West. They went into the Wild West.

They were looking around the town until they heard a rattle from nearby. They noticed it was called "Rattlesnake Fla
Solomon Harre
Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House)
by Mary Pope Osborne

Q.Include an interesting quote from your text and explain why it appealed to you?
“In the 1870s, Rattlesnake Flats was a rest stop for the stagecoach that carried passengers from Santa Fe, New Mexico, to Fort Worth, Texas. When the creek dried up, everyone left. By 1880s, it was a ‘Ghost Town.’ ”
I found this quote interesting because it explained how by 1880s the weather had changed to drought conditions. Everyone abandoned the town of R
Rosa Cline
Jun 18, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This is probably one of my more favorite of the books. Not only does it have a very nice storyline (if you like westerns anyhow) but ghost story, compassionate about animals, and in the end they remember a friend that is no longer with them but they know as long as his memory is alive with them they will always have him with them. Really liked this book!

The kids go in search of the next quest that Morgan sends them on, only to run into horse rustlers and finds a baby horse left alone without hi
Kayla
Apr 23, 2015 Kayla rated it liked it
Jack and Annie went to the treehouse when they discovered a rabbit. Inside the treehouse was Morgan who sent them on a quest. The treehouse landed in a prairie. They were to figure out the riddles and that would help lead them to the answers they were looking for. Suddenly a group of cowboys came. The children overheard them say one horse was acting up because it wanted it's colt. They had left it elsewhere. When they left the colt came walking up. Then another cowboy came and claimed that to b ...more
Nemanja
Mar 15, 2016 Nemanja rated it it was amazing
Mary Pope Osborne,this is one of many books in collection magic tree house,it is about Jack and his sister Annie going to past and future and finding a lot of mysteries and trying to became new owners of Morgnana's House. It has a lot of funny and interesting moments. The best one was the duel (because the story is happening on the Wild West) and it was very funny and interesting. It has a lot of details and I think that everyone can read this book and I will say it is one of the best books in m ...more
Rubi
Jun 19, 2014 Rubi rated it really liked it
Loved the adventure of helping save a mare and reuniting her with her colt.
And the whole part of inspiring a man to set 'em free and writing.
I'm a sucker for the past being written for someone in the future. Like the movie about a son finding out he can talk to his fire fighter father in the past :)
I do find it funny that Jack always gives in to Annie. He's the older brother and boys never do that these days. haha
its kinda unrealistic, but who cares about realism in a magical adventure series f
Julesmarie

This might be my new favorite, which makes me even more frustrated at the inconsistency in this series.

Jack and Annie's trip to the Wild West seems as historically accurate as the best of the others. And Jack's and Annie's characters seemed more genuine here. There was, of course, more of the note-taking and looking-things-up from Jack and more of the charging-headlong-into-danger from Annie, but it didn't feel forced.

And the cowboy, Slim, had a very authentic-feeling voice. I especiall
Taishu Tozawa
Jan 22, 2013 Taishu Tozawa rated it it was amazing
I read Ghost Town at Sundown by Mary Pope Osborne. This book is about Jack and Annie going to the magic tree house and go to ghost town and Jack and Annie became friends to ghost cowboy. Cowboy, Annie, and Jack is try to kill bad cow boy. My favorite part in this book is ghost is playing piano and Jack said "hey" and ghost is stop and try to capture Jack and Annie but ghost cowboy is help Jack and Annie, and I have one more favorite part is Jack and Annie and cowboy is try to find treasure bad c ...more
Angie
Mar 10, 2016 Angie rated it it was amazing
Synopsis: "The saga and success of The Magic Tree House continues! The tenth adventure, Ghost Town at Sundown, is filled with the excitement, action, and fun facts always found in Magic Tree House books.
Morgan le Fay has promised to make Jack and Annie masters of the tree house if they can solve four riddles. In Ghost Town at Sundown, the Magic Tree House whisks Jack and Annie back to a ghost town in the Wild West of the 1880s. There, they meet a mustang herder named Slim as they search for the
Peyton Hyder
Oct 26, 2014 Peyton Hyder rated it it was amazing
I think that Magic Treehouse is great, so if you really want to read a book that's good, I highly suggest the Magic Treehouse. Magic Treehouse will keep you reading, so I think you should start reading, but when you start, I think that you will want to put your reading cap on. If you don't, you might not be able to understand any of the story. I hope you enjoy your time if you read the books of Magic Treehouse. Goodbye for now! [transcribed by Andrew]
Rick Silva
Nov 05, 2015 Rick Silva rated it really liked it
This is the second Magic Tree House book that I read with my son (age 6).

This story has Morgan Le Fey sending Jack and Annie back in time to an Old West ghost town to answer a riddle. It doesn't take long until they are in the midst of an adventure involving horse-thieves, cowboys, mustangs, and even a ghostly piano player named Lonesome Luke. The ending includes a good old-fashioned time-travel paradox.

This story wasn't as intense as the previous one I read (set on the Titanic), but it left a
Caleb
Feb 23, 2016 Caleb rated it it was amazing
Mary Pope Osborne wrote Ghost Town at Sundown. When Jack and Annie go to the wild west also known as a ghost town! And when they're in for some trouble. Will somebody be able to help them and get back the horse they found in the alley? I think this book would be good for kids about six years old. And if you like ghosts you might like this book.
Brianna
Mar 07, 2012 Brianna rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Younger readers
I remember reading the Magic Treehouse series during Middle School, and they were always entertaining. I loved how they went all around the world, all throughout history, and you learned about different places and time periods as you followed your favorite characters through wonderful adventures. It was really cool. I recommend these books to your little adventurer. They are sure to not disappoint.
Do it! Read the book, because who knows what new world one might fall into? What interesting chara
Claire Rozint
Sep 24, 2014 Claire Rozint rated it really liked it
This was a good and simple chapter book for children who are starting to read more complicated text. There still is illustrations to this book but they are in black and white. With this book series children can escape into magical lands and back in time in these book. This was an easy book for me to read I read it in under 2 hours.
Martha
Apr 07, 2016 Martha added it
My daughter loves these books so much yesterday I started reading this book to her at bed time and not only did she plea that I read just a few more chapters every time I stopped until the book was finished but asked if I could read another magic tree house book.
Jeffrey
Mar 07, 2011 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
In Ghost Town at Sundown,Jack and Annie went to a ghost town in the Wild West of the 1880s.There, they meet a mustang and a rider named Slim as they search for the answer to the riddle.the missing Mustang must be find because it is slim's mustang.As they seach for the mustang slim hep thm solve the riddle, the answer to the riddle is echo.then they saw the missing mustang from a stranger then they got it back from the stranger.After that they got back home.

the traits that discribe Jack and Ann
Faith
May 30, 2016 Faith rated it it was amazing
Read by our 7 year old. Her review:
"Now, I like this story! I thought I would be scared of the ghost but I wasn't! He was nice! I solved the riddle before Jack and Annie, too. And the end was so neat for Slim. I would totally say other kids should read this."
Carlos
Jul 10, 2015 Carlos rated it really liked it
This book was a great read to see what I thought of the book a long time ago and looking at the book now.. I enjoy Ed rereading this book and pointing out points of info that when I was a kid didn't find as often.
Linda Branich
Aug 16, 2014 Linda Branich rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
This is #10 in the Magic Tree House series. Readers will learn how to treat horses and what a player piano is, as their mission takes them to a Wild West ghost town, RATTLESNAKE FLATS. There Jack and Annie encounter cattle rustlers and meet a mustang herder, Slim Cooley, who loves to write. They also see the ghost of Lonesome Luke, who still pines for his lost love.
Christie Tulloch
Jan 30, 2016 Christie Tulloch rated it it was amazing
Ghost Town at Sundown is one of my top three favorites in the Magic Treehouse series. This story is greatly written by an awesome author, Mary Pope Osborne. She definitely knows how to write adventure stories.
  • Pirates (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #4)
  • The Ninth Nugget (A to Z Mysteries, #14)
  • Junie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business (Junie B. Jones, #2)
More about Mary Pope Osborne...

Magic Tree House (1 - 10 of 55 books)
  • Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1)
  • The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2)
  • Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3)
  • Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4)
  • Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)
  • Afternoon on the Amazon (Magic Tree House, #6)
  • Sunset of the Sabertooth (Magic Tree House, #7)
  • Midnight On The Moon (Magic Tree House, #8)
  • Dolphins at Daybreak (Magic Tree House, #9)
  • Lions at Lunchtime (Magic Tree House, #11)