Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House, #10)

Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House #10)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  5,646 ratings  ·  158 reviews
The saga and success of The Magic Tree House continues! The tenth adventure, Ghost Town at Sundown, is filled with the excitement, action, and fun facts always found in Magic Tree House books.
Morgan le Fay has promised to make Jack and Annie masters of the tree house if they can solve four riddles. In Ghost Town at Sundown, the Magic Tree House whisks Jack and Annie back...more
Published June 15th 2010 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Town at Sundown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Town at Sundown

Night of the New Magicians by Mary Pope OsborneA Perfect Time for Pandas by Mary Pope OsborneHour of the Olympics by Mary Pope OsbornePolar Bears Past Bedtime by Mary Pope OsborneLeprechaun in Late Winter by Mary Pope Osborne
Magic Tree House
48th out of 56 books — 33 voters
Dinosaurs Before Dark by Mary Pope OsborneAfternoon on the Amazon by Mary Pope OsborneLions at Lunchtime by Mary Pope OsborneThe Knight at Dawn by Mary Pope OsborneTonight on the Titanic by Mary Pope Osborne
Magic Tree House Series
10th out of 16 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda Carpenter
As I always say, my 8 year old niece brought me the first 2 of these books to read. She loves them and she wanted me to read them too so we can talk about them. I find them fun and informative for kids about different time periods and different things around the world.

I decided on book 5 to start reading them aloud for my dogs enjoyment too. (I know, you may think I am crazy - but they like them. Well one gets rather scared sometimes, but the other loves to listen). I think the writing was prac...more
Tonty Gibson
This book is about Jack and Annie’s time travel adventure to ‘Wild West America.’ Their friend, Morgan the enchantress gave them a book and a scroll which contained the riddle they needed to solve during their journey. They travelled on the ‘tree house’ which travelled through time and space. The ‘tree house’ landed in a ghost town in 1880 and they were welcomed by the sound of a rattlesnake but Jack and Annie were determined to find out more about the town. In the town, they found a piano that...more
Sarah Sammis
Ghost Town at Sundown is the second of the four riddles and the tenth book in the Magic Tree House series. In this one, Jack and Annie go back to a ghost town in search of the answer the riddle.

While there they are frightened by a ghost, threatened by horse thieves and befriended by a wrangler of wild mustangs. Jack and Annie learn how to ride horses and Annie once again shows her talent at talking with animals.

Best of all is the time travel aspect of the book. In the other books I've read Jack...more
Macey Schoenick
Jack and Annie are back at it again but this time they are at a Ghost Town at Sundown. Megan La Fey gave Jack and Annie another riddle to solve. The riddle this time is “Out of the blue my lonely voice calls out to you Who am I? Am I?” Jack and Annie find a wild mustang roaming around the ghost town. Annie names him sunset and a cowboy appears out of nowhere his name is Slim. Slim gives Jack and Annie nicknames “Shorty” for Jack and “Smiley” for Annie. Annie says Sunset is missing his mother and...more
Samantha
Howdy partners!!!! We're heading out to the wild west for a rootin' tootin' good time. Jack & Annie are on a quest to solve Morgan's 2nd riddle. Along the way, we learn a lot.

Horse Rules: 1. soft hand 2. firm voice 3. sunny attitude 4. praise 5. reward

Such a fun adventure. Pull your boots on, tug on the reins and prepare yourself to split the wind. Y'all come back now, ya hear?
*rides off into the sunset*
Cathy
Lots of good facts in this one, the kids are well on their way to becoming Master Librarians. I enjoyed the mustangs the most, of course. It was cute that the kids got cowboy nicknames, Smiley and Shorty. Annie's seemed most appropriate. I love the classic time travel paradox at the end. And that as usual, the kids appreciate the pleasures of being home after their adventure.
Solomon Harre
Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House)
by Mary Pope Osborne

Q.Include an interesting quote from your text and explain why it appealed to you?
“In the 1870s, Rattlesnake Flats was a rest stop for the stagecoach that carried passengers from Santa Fe, New Mexico, to Fort Worth, Texas. When the creek dried up, everyone left. By 1880s, it was a ‘Ghost Town.’ ”
I found this quote interesting because it explained how by 1880s the weather had changed to drought conditions. Everyone abandoned the town of R...more
Rosa Cline
This is probably one of my more favorite of the books. Not only does it have a very nice storyline (if you like westerns anyhow) but ghost story, compassionate about animals, and in the end they remember a friend that is no longer with them but they know as long as his memory is alive with them they will always have him with them. Really liked this book!

The kids go in search of the next quest that Morgan sends them on, only to run into horse rustlers and finds a baby horse left alone without hi...more
Rubi Herrera
Loved the adventure of helping save a mare and reuniting her with her colt.
And the whole part of inspiring a man to set 'em free and writing.
I'm a sucker for the past being written for someone in the future. Like the movie about a son finding out he can talk to his fire fighter father in the past :)
I do find it funny that Jack always gives in to Annie. He's the older brother and boys never do that these days. haha
its kinda unrealistic, but who cares about realism in a magical adventure series f...more
Julesmarie

This might be my new favorite, which makes me even more frustrated at the inconsistency in this series.

Jack and Annie's trip to the Wild West seems as historically accurate as the best of the others. And Jack's and Annie's characters seemed more genuine here. There was, of course, more of the note-taking and looking-things-up from Jack and more of the charging-headlong-into-danger from Annie, but it didn't feel forced.

And the cowboy, Slim, had a very authentic-feeling voice. I especiall...more
Taishu Tozawa
I read Ghost Town at Sundown by Mary Pope Osborne. This book is about Jack and Annie going to the magic tree house and go to ghost town and Jack and Annie became friends to ghost cowboy. Cowboy, Annie, and Jack is try to kill bad cow boy. My favorite part in this book is ghost is playing piano and Jack said "hey" and ghost is stop and try to capture Jack and Annie but ghost cowboy is help Jack and Annie, and I have one more favorite part is Jack and Annie and cowboy is try to find treasure bad c...more
Marissa Morrison
My son reads me a chapter of "Jack and Annie" every night at bedtime. I'm thankful that Mary Pope Osborne has written all these books that are both readable for kids and enjoyable-enough for adults. This one struck me as particularly well done--thoughtful and poignant with carefully chosen metaphors and a good message about taking care of others in need. At this point in the series, Osborne could have just churned out another moneymaker, but she was still making art.
Brianna
Mar 07, 2012 Brianna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Younger readers
I remember reading the Magic Treehouse series during Middle School, and they were always entertaining. I loved how they went all around the world, all throughout history, and you learned about different places and time periods as you followed your favorite characters through wonderful adventures. It was really cool. I recommend these books to your little adventurer. They are sure to not disappoint.
Do it! Read the book, because who knows what new world one might fall into? What interesting chara...more
Jeffrey
In Ghost Town at Sundown,Jack and Annie went to a ghost town in the Wild West of the 1880s.There, they meet a mustang and a rider named Slim as they search for the answer to the riddle.the missing Mustang must be find because it is slim's mustang.As they seach for the mustang slim hep thm solve the riddle, the answer to the riddle is echo.then they saw the missing mustang from a stranger then they got it back from the stranger.After that they got back home.

the traits that discribe Jack and Ann...more
Linda Branich
This is #10 in the Magic Tree House series. Readers will learn how to treat horses and what a player piano is, as their mission takes them to a Wild West ghost town, RATTLESNAKE FLATS. There Jack and Annie encounter cattle rustlers and meet a mustang herder, Slim Cooley, who loves to write. They also see the ghost of Lonesome Luke, who still pines for his lost love.
Meghan
There was an actual ghost in this book. Granted, he played a piano and helped the kids, but there goes my "no such thing as ghosts" story.

"Mommy, ghosts are NOT imaginary! They are in real life!"

Awesome.
Staci
Apr 11, 2012 Staci rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children
Ghost Town at Sundown is about two young children who travel in a magic tree house through time to solve ridles foro the librarian Morgan LeFay, to become master librarians themselves. In this book they travel back to the Wild West to a ghost town and save a wild mustang and her colt from some wranglers. They also had to answer a riddle along the way and by helping out they ended up solving their riddle.

I recommend this book for children to explore and learn about past times. It has many facts...more
Kellie
Jun 22, 2014 Kellie marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Anna
Jack and Annie are working on becoming Master Librarians and must solve riddles assigned to them by Morgan le Fay.

In this book, the riddle is:

...Out of the blue my lonely voice
Calls out to you: Who am I? am I?...

Jack and Annie travel to the Old West to a town called Rattlesnake Flats. It was a ghost town by 1880. While there, they see wild mustangs and with the help of a cowboy named Slim Cooley, they reunite a colt and his mother. Jack and Annie also meet a cowboy ghost named Lonesome Luke. He...more
Amanda Caldwell
This is the tenth installment in the Magic Tree House series. In this one, Jack and Annie find themselves sent back to the Wild Wild West trying to solve the next riddle in a ghost town... that may really be haunted! I really enjoyed this one! I'm a sucker for Westerns, so I really liked reading about Jack and Annie's adventures. For some reason, this one seemed a bit longer so Zachery did lose a bit of interest towards the end.

I highly recommend this series to both young girl and boys. The fir...more
Amanda
I didn't like them including a ghost in this one. Most of the other books are pretty factual about the places they travel. I know it's a silly reason to think less of a book about kids traveling through time and space in a tree house. I guess I think that ghosts are paranormal, whereas these books regularly deal with magic mixed in with non-fiction to make it for kid friendly. It was still fun for my little one, though.
Wendy ~M/M Junkie~
This book was book ten of The Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne.

Jack and his little sister Annie see a rabbit and follow it into the frog creek woods. Its a sign from Morgan that the tree house has returned. Sure enough Morgan is waiting for them. This time they will be going to the wild west to solve their second riddle. After this they will only have two more riddles to solve before they become master librarians.

I read this book with my son and we both enjoyed it. We love going on a...more
luhvBOOKS
Title: Ghost Town at Sundown

Author: Mary Pope Osborne

Series: Magic Tree House #10

Rating: ★★★

Summary: Is this town haunted? Jack and Annie wonder when the Magic Tree House whisks them to the Wild West. But before they can say "Boo!" they rush headlong into an adventure filled with horse thieves, a lost colt, rattlesnakes, and a cowboy named Slim. Will Jack and Annie have time to solve the next Tree House Riddle? The answer may depend on a ghost!

Review: Talking to the sheriff and watching ghosts p...more
Holley
We liked it. Angie and I especially enjoyed the inclusion of "Red River Valley" at the end.

Kian liked the ghost.
Nathaniel Mckenzie
It was interesting and they had this ghost piano that they couldn't see a guy playing, but it was playing music.
Dolly
Mar 13, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Book #10 in the The Magic Tree House series and #2 in a mini-series of 4 that send Annie and Jack on a quest to become Master Librarians. We are reading through this series very quickly, along with a few of the supplementary research guides. Our girls just adore Jack and Annie and they look forward to reading a chapter or two (or three) every night.

This story was fun; I'm not a huge fan of westerns, but our girls loved the horses, the Red River Valley song, and they even guessed the answer to t...more
Seth
Jack and Annie met a real cowboy! And they wondered if the town was haunted.
Maria
My 7 year old daughter gives it 5 stars. :)
Caleb Mckenzie
I liked ghost town at sundown
Hasley Corona
May 05, 2014 Hasley Corona marked it as to-read
I love reading this book.
  • Pirates (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #4)
  • The Canary Caper (A to Z Mysteries, #3)
  • Junie B., First Grader (at Last!) (Junie B. Jones, #18)
  • Invisible Stanley (Flat Stanley, #4)
More about Mary Pope Osborne...
Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1) The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2) Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3) Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4) Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)