Start by marking “Food & Mood: The Complete Guide to Eating Well and Feeling Your Best” as Want to Read:
Food & Mood: The Complete Guide to Eating Well and Feeling Your Best

Food & Mood: The Complete Guide to Eating Well and Feeling Your Best

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  106 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Why do you feel tired after eating a full meal? Why do you have so much trouble concentrating? Why do you crave chocolate? Can diet affect depression? Is there a natural cure for insomnia? Nutrition expert Elizabeth Somer answers all these questions and more in this completely updated and revised second edition to her nutritional guide Food and Mood. The result of research
Paperback, Second Edition, 448 pages
Published December 15th 1999 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Food & Mood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food & Mood

Misha
Dec 05, 2009 Misha marked it as will-come-back-to-later-no-really  ·  review of another edition
I'm having a bad night tonight. I worked late and was exhausted when I left the office. Although I should have come directly home and fixed myself a quick, nutritious dinner with things I have in the fridge, I decided instead to stop someplace for food. As I set out in my car, my plan was to go to Subway and get something moderately healthy. Then I hit a red light. I sat in my car, shivering in the frigid December night, my car having not fully warmed yet, and a thought crept into my head. Pizza ...more
Rhi
Jan 27, 2012 Rhi rated it it was ok
Good information and explanation of the biochemistry t the body and how we are affected on a hormonal level by our food choices, but a great deal of the rest of the book I found obsolete and outdated. The second edition, published in 1999 follows suite of nutritional contemporaries of the time, making sure to denigrate fat, while not at all distinguishing between the different kinds of fat, and uplifting Carbohydrates. Actually has a section dedicated to the benefits of fructose (does mention we ...more
Jennifer Hughes
This is not my day. I have lost my review twice now due to technical difficulties. Ok, probably due to user error! Maybe I'll come back and write it a third time someday.

For now, know: I read an older version that I felt did not have the most up-to-date nutrition science. You need to get the newest version to really benefit from this.

I am suspicious of nutrition science as a whole thanks to Michael Pollan. I think food affects us in many complex ways that we still do not understand, despite scie
Lynnea
Mar 07, 2009 Lynnea rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A bit too technical in some spots (textbook-like) but still very interesting and helpful.
I really liked the reminder that you have to change eating patterns gradually to retrain your tastebuds. That you aren't going to go from eating fastfood daily to eating a black bean and couscous casserole overnight. -to just make gradual changes and not try to overdo it because that's what sets you up for failure.
I also liked the idea when talking about cravings, especially chocolate - to not take chocolat
Alyse
Apr 11, 2013 Alyse rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent because it tells you how foods activate your neurotransmitters and thus your mood. It goes into so many aspects about different emotional effects of food. Insomnia, PMS, Cravings, Energy, Stress pretty much all aspects. It does not however talk about specifically treating mental illness with diet. My understanding is that following the diet is to prevent fluctuations in mood that can be caused by foods. I wish that the directions for adopting the food mood diet in the back ...more
Deb
May 10, 2010 Deb rated it really liked it
I pulled this out again for a healthy tour / cooking demo I am doing this week on Good Mood Foods and was reminded again that it is a great book for learning about how what you eat directly influences your mood, energy, sleep patterns and general well-being. A bit dry and technical in a few parts, but overall interesting for anyone into food and nutrition. Recipes in the back--I may have to make the "To Die For Low-fat Brownies"
Jodi
Jul 19, 2008 Jodi rated it really liked it
Read this for my continuing education credits, so I enjoyed it on that level. It is also a good reference book that helps you take a look at how food could be affecting how you feel. It references studies, talks about vitamins and supplements (pros and cons), is simple to read, and doesn't suggest any over-the-top diet/behavior modifications. I stopped buying my 5# bag of chocolate chips from Sams 4 months ago as a result! ;)
Lisa
Feb 10, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing
This is a great book! It is a little technical in the beginning for the lay person, but the author does a good job explaining chemicals and processes enough to give a basic understanding of what's happening in your body when you eat different kinds of foods. What we eat really does influence how we feel. I think most people would relate to the processes, foods and moods and will benefit from Somer's suggestions.
Alison
Feb 05, 2008 Alison rated it really liked it
A really informative book on how the foods you eat can affect how you feel and function. The author heavily promotes carbs as a solution, which I know isn't always the answer for me, but I really learned a lot from the book in general. It includes recipes in the back, and I joked with John that I'm going to make him the PMS Smoothie!
Josephine
Feb 01, 2008 Josephine rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Pretty interesting read, though kind of technical. I skimmed through some of it, but there's some good info. about how to balance your carb & protein & sugar intake for maximum energy. Basically, I need to eat a lot more fruits & vegetables, which I already knew. But it's helpful to have some scientific reminders.
Grandma Judy
Oct 12, 2008 Grandma Judy rated it liked it
Has some good information, but most of it is rather boring, so just skip through those pages. I don't like it when authors tell you exactly how much to eat...I think if you listen to your body, it will tell you when you're full.
Jana Rea
Jan 27, 2008 Jana Rea rated it really liked it
Shelves: nutrition
Very interesting book with sound research. Explains the interactions between neurotransmitters and macronutrients and how your diet influences feelings of fatigue, PMS, and mood.
Kristen
Sep 28, 2007 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Fascinating and scientific - explains how natural food chemicals (in carbohydrates, proteins etc) affect brain chemicals and thus affect mood.
Stella
Jan 05, 2015 Stella rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, food-and-health
A huge wealth of information on healthful eating and on how to use food to make a positive impact on your mood. It works.

DrLoni
Sep 17, 2014 DrLoni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book belongs on your shelf right next to your nutritional guide to health and healing.
Bonnie
Feb 06, 2012 Bonnie marked it as to-read
I find this fascinating.
Rose
Jan 22, 2009 Rose added it
613.2 Som
Dean Bender
Dean Bender rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Roz Gagne
Roz Gagne rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Lyra Alves
Lyra Alves rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
toni daphne jones
toni daphne jones rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2016
Brandi Lynn
Brandi Lynn marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Peggy Mccabe
Peggy Mccabe rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Eric added it
Nov 27, 2015
  • Small Changes, Big Results: A 12-Week Action Plan to a Better Life
  • Get It Done When You're Depressed
  • Exercise for Mood and Anxiety: Proven Strategies for Overcoming Depression and Enhancing Well-Being
  • Guide to Optimum Health
  • Fix It, Make It, Grow It, Bake It: The D.I.Y. Guide to the Good Life
  • The Vegan Sourcebook
  • The Happiness Diet: A Nutritional Prescription for a Sharp Brain, Balanced Mood, and Lean, Energized Body
  • The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth: The Surprising, Unbiased Truth about What You Should Eat and Why
  • Living Among Meat Eaters: The Vegetarian's Survival Handbook
  • Vegan's Daily Companion: 365 Days of Inspiration for Cooking, Eating, and Living Compassionately
  • Finally Thin!: How I Lost More Than 200 Pounds and Kept Them Off--and How You Can, Too
  • Feeding the Hungry Heart: The Experience of Compulsive Eating
  • Extraordinary Vegan
  • Eat Beautiful: Grain-free, Sugar-free and Loving It
  • Grace for the Afflicted: A Clinical and Biblical Perspective on Mental Illness
  • Jane Austen and Food