Start by marking “Mine Are Spectacular!: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Mine Are Spectacular!: A Novel

Mine Are Spectacular!: A Novel

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  724 ratings  ·  66 reviews
In a wealthy New York suburb, forty-one-year-old divorced mom Sara Turner is juggling a new fiancé, a new TV career, and a Newcomer’s Club that throws sex-toy parties. Her dearest friend, Kate Steele, a hotshot Park Avenue skin doctor, is being romanced by a real estate mogul who happens to be married. And Sara’s new neighbor, Berni Davis, has just quit her high-powered ca...more
Published January 25th 2011 by Ballantine Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Mine Are Spectacular!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mine Are Spectacular!

Lindsay
This book was really cheesy and not at all what the title or the cover photo makes it look like it is. I was a bit disappointed, because I think the cover and title are kind of funny. But really, it was very lame and not all the entertaining. A chick lit book written by two women who had nothing better to do with their time.
Emily
I read this book for a book club and that is probably the primary reason I finished the book. It was an ok book, well written, but didn't really appeal to me overall.

The book is about Sara, a recently engaged middle age woman, who is trying to come to turn with lots of changes in her life. There is her best friend from child hood, Kate. The "Derm Darling" of park avenue who is losing herself in a relationship and becoming someone who Sara doesn't recognize. Berni her new best friend a recently...more
Tyler
Synopsis: The title is taken from a quote at the end of a popular Seinfield episode (I don't believe that I've seen it). Instead of a synopsis as usual, I will present a character list and describe their place in the story.

Sara - Divorced her first husband James after he disappeared to Argentina 8 years ago. Has been a single-mother to her son (who was born after her first husband left). Is dating Bradford and best friends with Berni and Kate. Junior-high art teacher invited to star on a cooking...more
Jodi Goldbeck
Sara is a teacher, but lives within the upper class in a suburb in New York. Her best friends are Kate and Bernie. Kate is a famous New York dermatologist and Bernie is a publicist ready to give birth to twins at any moment. Bradford is her fiance and James is her ex-husband.

This book was given to me by a co-worker, who received it from the author Jacqueline Michaud, as an advanced, unedited copy. From the minute I read the first page, I was hooked. I really liked the main character, Sara. She w...more
I'm sure I got plenty of looks while reading Mine Are Spectacular!: A Novel at the gym. The pictures they put on these books sure get people's attention...I can almost feel the condescension boring into my back, but whatever, they really are the best books to get you to stay on the elliptical/stairs/treadmill when you'd otherwise be bored out of your mind.

I wonder how it'd be to co-write a book...and/or if Janice Kaplan and Lynn Schrnurnberger were friends first...I'm sure their story could be f...more
Putri
This is a story about a friendship that consists of 4 ladies in their forties live in New York with all the luxurious,botox,affairs are there.
Along the way,friendship doesnt always go smoothly,there are disagreements and missunderstanding, but at the end they help one another.
Showing how friends can help you to go trough difficult times.Most of the times.
Eventhough the back ground is quite common -new york life style-, in fact too common, but somehow having read this book reminds me that we need...more
Lorrea(Threein3)
I thought this book was going to be a little deeper than it was.
Lois Duncan
This is an easy, cute, light weight, humorous read for women "over a certain age" (meaning 35 or so). The good thing about books by Janice Kaplan and Lynn Schnurnberger is that the women mesh as a team and speak with one voice, so you don't get that jerky, disoriented feeling that is common when two writers collaborate. The unfortunate thing is that all of their books sound alike, so don't make the mistake of attempting to read two of their novels back to back. You'll feel as though you're readi...more
Erin
I am not going though menopause or mid-life crisis but I did like this book. It was funny, cheeky, and romantic with a little touch of gossip mixed in for good measure. I hope that when I get to that point in my life I am surrounded by women just like this. This book was not too intense but was funny enough to keep me involved. If you need a good book to just come home and zone out to this is the one. I am not normally a chick lit girl but this book worked for me.
Amy D
I listened to the audio book. I thought it was fun, light, and made my commute better. Much better than the DJs on the radio or the news. On the literary front nothing new and enlightening, however a good funny escape. Can't read too much into it or it won't make reality on a few notes and ties up too neatly. One part bugged me that was never finished and seemed lazy not to by the authors.
Mindi
It was not entirely what I expected, but it ended up being good. I loved that there seemed to be more conflict than just a lovey dovey relationship. It seemed more real world. It was about two main friends. One that is dating a troublesome man that you love to hate. The other is engaged to a man where they both have been divorced and had kids that get in the way.
Kristin
Love this book! I felt like I really got to know Sara, the main character. I like that she is by no means perfect and is the first one to acknowlegde it. I wasn't quite sure how it was going to end which made it all the more fun to read. It even made me laugh out loud! Such a fun read! I highly recommend this book- It is totally a "chick book!"
Lisa Savicki
This was funny and full of twists. A single mom who has a son and teaches is ready to marry a wealthy man and put her into a world that she is unfamiliar with when out of the blue her ex husband, the father of her son comes back into her life. Some parts are a bit hokey but still puts a smile on your face. A good, easy read.
Jane
I enjoyed this book - it is typically a vacation/holiday read. Easy to get on with and an interesting view on life. I particularly enjoyed the character Berni and Skylar. I am glad that it was a happy ending for Skylar (in respect of getting on with her stepmother) and obviously for Sara. Great read.
Ashley
Fun poolside summer read. The plot line was relatable and the characters were funny. I really enjoyed how even though I am at a different point in my life, I could recall encountering a situation or knowing a friend who did. Thumbs up for a quick distraction on a hot summer day.
It's funny, I started this book and put it down because it seemed completely superficial and stupid. Must not have been in the mood. A couple weeks later I started over and ended up enjoying it. I liked the main character. There was a nice mix of humor and meaningfulness.
Krissy Obermark
I enjoyed the various women stereotypes portrayed in this book: the woman obsessed with looking younger, the career-woman turned stay-at-home mom, the woman who lets men use her, etc. etc. But very few of the characters actually grew, which left me feeling very disappointed.
Courtney
When I read the first chapter I groaned to myself and figured I was in for a book that I was going to crawl through. Then, something changed and I found myself quite interested and liking the characters. I thought it was cute, if easily forgettable.
Ryan
This was pretty run of the mill chick lit. The plot was decent but predictable. It was just well written enough to keep me reading. I did think that the main character had a lot of free time considering she teaches & is a single mom with a young son.
Rosemean
This book was cheesiest! It felt like it was written by 2 teenagers who are obsessed with brand names! It really annoyed me how the main character can sooo easily be a full time mom, an art teacher AND a tv cooking show host! Give me break!
Cathy
This book was okay...it was fun to listen to but dragged in some parts. Still, it satisfied my interests although I'd kind of have to agree with the reviews that criticize it for its unoriginality, but still a fun, quick and light listen.
Carrie
I loved this book. It was light and funny. Several times it made me laugh out loud. Nothing too deep going on here. Just a couple of women sharing a great friendship and finding themselves. Great chic lit!! Wonderful beach book!!
Chloe
This was a really fun book ~ when I picked it up off the shelf, I was hoping that it would be a fun, summer beach read, and it delivered... cute characters, witty dialogue and a fun plot. A fun chick-lit book for the summer!
Montessahall Montessahall
This is a VERY light read. It would only be enjoyable it you are into shameless product placement and celebrity name dropping. However, I did like the quick pace of the story. Very predictable ending.
Alyssa Greatbanks
The summary made it seem like it was going to be a lot funnier than it was. But this was a pretty good book anyway.

This is definitely a good book if you are feeling kind of down about your life. :)
Jaime
Bought this book in a thrift store for 20cents for a light, beach-side read and I ended up loving it. Cute story, twists and turns, first time that I couldn't predict the ending. Loved it
Sharron Browinski kurland
Prob would've given it 3 1/2 stars but since they don't do halves, gave it 4. It was a cute, fun story and provided me with an escape which is exactly what I needed now.
Jenn
I'll admit it, I'm a fan of chic lit. But this was a little too chic lit-y for me. It just worked out a little to well. And the voices on the audio drove me nuts. Blech.
Mel
This would be a great beach/pool read; a book to just kill time with. It didn't make me feel anything. Mostly fluff. If you like fluff, this is the book for you.
Lindsay green
This book has it all...snippy teenagers, sniping ex-es, a hilarious scene with Billy Crystal at a ballgame and three women who are great friends.
great read.
Chick Lit Book Club: Mine Are Spectacular: Chapters 10-12 5 13 Apr 05, 2010 08:27PM
Chick Lit Book Club: Mine Are Spectacular: Chapters 4-6 8 19 Apr 04, 2010 03:15PM
Chick Lit Book Club: Mine Are Spectacular: Chapters 1-3 10 14 Apr 04, 2010 11:59AM
  • The Goddess Rules
  • Momzillas
  • How Nancy Drew Saved My Life
  • Queen Takes King
  • The Matzo Ball Heiress
Janice Kaplan was the Editor-in-Chief of Parade Magazine, the most widely read publication in America. Widely known for her achievements as a writer, television producer, and magazine editor, she was deputy editor of TV Guide magazine and executive producer of the TV Guide Television Group, where she created and produced television specials that aired primetime on ABC, FOX, VH1 and other networks....more
More about Janice Kaplan...
Looks to Die For (Lacy Fields, #1) A Job to Kill For (Lacy Fields, #2) The Men I Didn't Marry The Botox Diaries A Morning Affair