Start by marking “Tide of Death” as Want to Read:
Tide of Death

Tide of Death (DI Andy Horton #1)

3.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  63 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
It is DI Andy Horton's second day back in Portsmouth CID after being suspended for eight months. Whilst out running he stumbles over the naked battered body of a man on the beach. PC Evans has been stabbed the night before, the DCI is up before a promotion board and Sergeant Cantelli is having trouble with his fifteen year old daughter. But Horton's mind is on other things ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published September 9th 2009 by Rowmark (first published December 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Tide of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tide of Death

Ellie Chambers
Jun 06, 2009 Ellie Chambers rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I tried really hard to get into this, but couldn’t. The central character, Inspector Horton, seemed so flat to me, and the dialogue just wasn’t believable; it was written in the way a person writes, not how they speak – it was mechanical, and very predictable. By the end of chapter two I was bored. I didn’t care about the storyline or the characters, especially not Horton. I persevered, but the pace didn’t pick up, the dialogue didn’t improve, and the characters didn’t become any more three dime ...more
Catherine
I will start by saying that I am not a crime fiction reader. My extent of crime fiction is Sherlock Holmes and comparing anything to Holmes is going to be a bit unfair.

I got this book primarily because it was set in Portsmouth, my home town. The novelty was pretty good but it wasn't enough to keep me riveted. I found the plot to be confusing and a bit jumbled (I still don't fully understand the part everyone played in the crime) and I didn't really connect with any of the characters. Horton, our
Tracy
Jan 27, 2015 Tracy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read, everything seemed to happen so fast in this short book. Enough to keep up the interest, will check out some more by this author before I make up my mind.
Elaine
Aug 11, 2016 Elaine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
not too taxing - an entertaining read. Read it in one day. I was on a beach holiday at the time.
Elizabeth
The story was well told but I could not get into the subject matter. By that I mean it is about a detective returning from an 8 month suspicion after having been framed for a rape probably by people in law enforcement. He does nothing while on suspension and then somebody keeps trying to murder him while he is trying to polish up his reputation by solving a murder case.

The main protagonist as a victim that no one beliefs produces an anxiety that make one want to read something else.
Kaye
Mar 16, 2012 Kaye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first read by this author and as I am rather partial to British writers thought I would give it a go. I'm very glad I did as I enjoyed it very much. I liked the characters and the story and didn't guess the real villain until the very end. I look forward to reading more of the escapades of Di Andy Horton.
Pete Loveday
Apr 04, 2012 Pete Loveday rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Pete by: Kindle English Mystery Book Club
Shelves: favourite
A good read and a clever story.
Pauline Rowson has great skill in her character development and they come to life in a real sense.
The plot is well crafted and the story fast paced and gathers excitement to the very end.
I look forward to reading more by this talented author.
Jean
Mar 08, 2013 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, it kept me guessing all the way through. The characters were strong, believable and interesting, especially the back stories in their personal lives. Am looking forward to reading more from this author.
Stevie Carroll
First in a new-to-me series and rich in local details. Lots of backstory packed into this one, which had the potential to be confusing, but I'll definitely be looking out for the next one.
Mr John E London
Mr John E London marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Onyx
Onyx marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Nanowzrd
Nanowzrd rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Hector
Hector marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Zihao
Zihao rated it it was ok
May 24, 2016
Carole
Carole rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Linda Rhead
Linda Rhead rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2016
Kie
Kie added it
Mar 11, 2016
Angelia
Angelia rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
R-Cee*Jay
R-Cee*Jay rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Debbie Schild
Debbie Schild marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Jan Bilski
Jan Bilski rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Marina
Marina rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Manda
Manda marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Rebecca Ashcroft
Rebecca Ashcroft rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Julie Wilson
Julie Wilson rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Dec 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Internationally acclaimed British author of the DI Andy Horton crime series. Pauline Rowson has been hailed as "redefining the genre of the police drama” by setting it against the atmospheric backdrop of the ever changing sea. Her cops are tough yet fallible. The DI Andy Horton series of crime novels has everything: compelling crimes, complex past history, a tough work environment, romantic entang ...more
More about Pauline Rowson...

DI Andy Horton (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Deadly Waters