Start by marking “The Bicentennial Man” as Want to Read:

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,547 Ratings  ·  168 Reviews
Andrew was one of Earth's first house robot domestic servants—smoothly designed and functional. But when Andrew started to develop special talents which exceeded the confines of his allotted positronic pathways, he abandoned his domestic duties in favour of more intellectual pursuits. As time passed, Andrew acquired knowledge, feelings and ambitions way beyond anything eve ...more
Published 1978 by Panther Books (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Bicentennial Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bicentennial Man

Andrew
Feb 14, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it
Ah the temptation of reading more Asimov short stories is always a hard one to resist. This is another classic collection which for me I think sums up a lot of what made Asimov and his Robots so famous - the title story I think sums it all up. Asimov was determined to make the machines that think more than tools and less a monster and I think although we have a long way still to go he certainly has helped us along the way.
But this book is not all about robots, there is spread of all sorts from m
Rowan MacBean
Dec 28, 2015 Rowan MacBean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Prior to reading this book, I'd only ever read one Asimov work. It was the short story version of Nightfall and I very much enjoyed it, but I still didn't consider myself an Asimov fan because I knew him as "the robot/space-opera guy" and I've never particularly enjoyed robots or space-opera sci-fi.

As it turns out, it seems I only don't particularly enjoy robots and space-opera sci-fi when it's not written by Asimov. This book contains twelve pieces (eleven short stories and a poem) and there wa
Claire Gilligan
May 28, 2013 Claire Gilligan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff
Isaac Asimov is now my favorite author, period. I would say I devoured this book, but that implies that I failed to give each short story the post-reading consideration it deserved, which is entirely untrue.

Every sing story was of such enormous quality--writing style, characterization, plot. I simply do not have the vocabulary to convey how well-crafted and enjoyable every story was.

Asimov's introductions, giving each story its context, were the icing on the cake. So, so good! Immediately search
Karyshma Khan
Mar 25, 2013 Karyshma Khan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure may not injure a human being, or through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law." (Asimov 491).

Robots are made for the purpose of serving humans and following their orders. From the start, Andrew Martin was
Stiby
Me han gustado sobre todo las ideas de los cuentos. Creo que en su mayoría son muy originales y no muy repetitivas. No soy amante de las antologías, porque necesito meterme en la historia para disfrutar realmente y con cuentos de máximo 30 páginas me resulta difícil hacerlo. Aún así, he disfrutado bastante leyendo este libro.

Tengo que ponerle en cambio tres estrellas porque aunque hay algunos cuentos que me han gustado mucho por la historia que narraban, por sus protagonistas y por lo sorprenden
Nandakishore Varma
Jul 12, 2015 Nandakishore Varma rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This was my first Asimov book. I especially loved the title story. I don't remember much of the rest.
Pvw
Oct 28, 2010 Pvw rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A typical one-idea novel.

Andrew the household robot discovers his creativity in crafting woodwork and making jewelry. From then on, he strives to become more and more human, both by upgrading his positronic brain and fighting legal battles to obtain human-like rights. The family that employed him at first keeps supporting Andrew in his desire (even though he survives all of them, because he himself becomes 200 years old).

This book reminded me very much of Max Ehrlich's The Big Eye because it was
Geoff

Favourite Stories:

Old-fashioned
The Winnowing
That Thou art Mindful of Him
fatemeh kashefi
Oct 24, 2014 fatemeh kashefi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The Story is about LOVE, You can't believe how can Love & feelings change the lives even the life of a robot,
I read this book when I was at high school but sometime ago, I saw the movie of this story which Robbin Williams played the character of that robot(I forgot the name) & I was really impressed.
I recommend you to read the book & see the movie, You'll enjoy it for sure.

Nicolas
Oct 22, 2013 Nicolas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first of Isaac Asimov's writings that I have read. I liked it. As with any collection like this there were some I liked (Waterclap) and some I didn't (Stranger in Paradise). The title story, Bicentennial Man, was definitely the stand-out. This was a very enjoyable collection and has made me curious to read more Asimov.
Sam Whitehouse
Apr 02, 2014 Sam Whitehouse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, own
I'm no huge fan of Assimov, though i know he's a legendary, brilliant science fiction writer. I watched the movie Bicentennial Man with Robin Williams and was curious as to what the book would be like. It's short, and i'm not a fan of short stories, but Assimov's writing is rich and clean and he's clearly a master of sci-fi. The length of the story didn't hinder the character development, and although there was never what could be called pace to the story, it was entertaining and absorbing enoug ...more
Olethros
-Ejemplo general de temáticas y estilos del prolífico autor en su obra corta.-

Género. Relatos.

Lo que nos cuenta. Recopilación de doce relatos de Ciencia-Ficción del autor (uno de ellos un poema, en realidad) escritos entre 1966 y 1976, editados previamente en distintos medios, que en esta edición van acompañados de anécdotas y eventos relacionados con el autor y que rodearon o su concepción, o su escritura o su publicación, que tratan temas tan variados como la búsqueda de formas para poder come
Ale Rivero
Jan 26, 2016 Ale Rivero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hacía un tiempo que no volvía a las letras de Asimov, y me ha encantado volver a sus geniales historias.
En general, los libros de relatos que leo nunca se llevan las cinco estrellas, porque siempre hay algunos que gustan más que otros. Los relatos han estado entre las tres y cinco estrellas, y mi favorito de siempre es El hombre del Bicentenario.
Todos los relatos tienen alguna base de robótica, sim embargo no siempre es lo predominante, logrando así llevarnos a lo largo de innumerables tramas de
Fiver
Oct 23, 2010 Fiver rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Half-rate Hollywood reproductions aside, this short story is one of the staples of great science fiction... that simply had to be written, sooner or later.

The Bicentennial Man is a very simple, almost droll story: in the near future, a robot finds itself instilled with the urge to become human, and lives through 200 years of slight modifications to himself while following this goal.

I've always said that good science fiction uses the unusual situations to comment on the human condition, and I cou
Carlos Mendez
James
Dec 11, 2007 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Asimov Fans
Shelves: science-fiction
I read this collection because there were stories in it that were not included with “The Complete Robot” I will only be touching on the stories not included in “I, Robot” or “The Complete Robot”

The Prime of Life
Is a Poem about how everyone thinks he is old, yet he feels young. It is just pretty neat to read as it gives you some insight into the man himself and, is in its own way quite humorous.

Waterclap
A neat story about the conflicts between people who live in Inner and Outer Space, this shows
Lucrezia
Jun 23, 2016 Lucrezia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Questa è la terza antologia che leggo e devo ammettere che mi sono annoiata per la maggior parte del tempo.
Se avessi potuto dare un voto ad ogni singola storia però, avrei dato 5* a "Che tu te ne prenda cura" e, neanche a dirlo, a "L'uomo del bicentenario". Avrei potuto dare un 3* diplomatico, ma è lo stesso voto che ho dato ad un'antologia che mi è effettivamente piaciuta di più.
Kreg
May 22, 2015 Kreg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, sci-fi
If you're expecting the book to be a better version than the movie you may (or may not) be disappointed. The movie greatly expanded upon what was a story by Asimov. Many elements of the book are portrayed fairly well in the movie, but it does take quite a few liberties.

In short, an excellent read!
Daphnée Kwong Waye
Nov 30, 2015 Daphnée Kwong Waye rated it it was amazing
Asimov's collection of short stories brilliantly pulled me into his imaginative world of sci-fi robotics. After I turned to the last page, my mind was running wild. Amazing!
Harry007
Apr 16, 2015 Harry007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
It might be the changing times, the difference between the analogue past and the digital future, and the subsequent increase in life's pace, which is why this 1970s short story collection is rubbish to me. Almost totally unreadable, it delivers the most horrible storytelling I've seen in any book in such a long time. Don't ask me about the individual stories - I can't remember anything about them, and obviously I don't have a favourite. Reading the book was extremely hard-going ... and confusing ...more
Izaak
Feb 05, 2015 Izaak rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Page 29- Feminine Intuition: A nice little story. Ironic, well written, and interesting, but (understandably) old-school.
Page 61- Waterclap: Wow! Loved it! Wish an extra paragraph could have replaced the last few sentences, but it was still creative and awesome. Such a well developed short story! And majorly intriguing.
Page 86- That Thou Art Mindful of Him: Very interesting. The Three Laws of Humanics kind of blindsided me.
Page 113- Stranger In Paradise: Uhhh... Original.
Page 125- The Life And T
Vanessa
Jan 12, 2016 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La versión que leí del libro contiene 24 relatos, de éstos la mayoría tocaba temas asociados a los robots, los otros sobre viajes espaciales y de tiempo.

Muchos de estos relatos mantienen nombre de las organizaciones o de personajes entre si, por lo que es posible asociarlos.

Los que más me gustaron:

- El hombre bicentenario (The Bicentennial Man)
- ¿Qué es el hombre? (That Thou Art Mindful of Him!)
- Intuición femenina (Feminine Intuition)
- Exilio en el infierno (Exile to Hell)
Veronikah
Feb 06, 2015 Veronikah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This was the first time for me to read an Asimov work. Or in this two works.
Sadly, it's a Brazilian edition and a Portuguese person reading in Brazilian, well, the brain was not computing well at times. Thankfully, this didn't affect my experience very much.

The Bicentennial Man follows the robot Andrew throughout his life. Andrew is a very special robot, unlike the newest robots coming out, Andrew has a personality of his own, desires and talents and his owners care for him as if he was
Leonardo
Feb 27, 2014 Leonardo rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of classic sci-fi
Recommended to Leonardo by: Lorena
Among Asimov's vast work, his robot fiction is perhaps the most renowned, and several of the stories included in this classic anthology of the short stories that he wrote between 1966 and 1976 are a definitive prove of it. Several of them explore the complexities and intricacies of the real-world application of the three laws of robotics and the mistrut that human beings would feel towards robots, particularly when they "deviate" from their role as mere servants and machines and reason their way ...more
Claudio92
Mar 31, 2016 Claudio92 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Questa raccolta è stupenda!! A parte qualche racconto normale, gli altri sono di un livello top! 2 in particolare poi hanno la lode! "Che tu te ne prenda cura" e "L'uomo bicentenario". Si, l'ultimo è quello da cui è ispirato il film di Robin Williams. Se il film prima non mi dispiaceva anche se lo trovavo un po' troppo mieloso, dopo aver letto il racconto originale sono arrivato quasi ad odiarlo! Nel racconto, il robot diventa umano non per amore, ma perchè vuole diventare umano per se stesso, p ...more
Shaheed Sayed
Today, after many years of trying to steer clear of this book, I finally finished reading it.
I have been influenced by Asimov, Clarke, Verne and Wells for a long time but I refrained from reading this one as the movie had been my favourite for more than a decade.
And boy did it throw me for a loop.

There's something to be said for a movie made from a novel. It makes one think that these novels would always be longer, always be more detailed. I couldn't help but understand that in some ways, there
Jycel
Jun 07, 2011 Jycel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Sencillo, y tan complicado. Sí, todo a la vez. El tema que trata es uno de los temas que más me apasionan de la ciencia ficción: los robots/androides que desean y quieren ser humanos, y el contraste con la poca humanidad que algunas veces tienen los seres humanos.

Es curioso cómo en la película estiraron el chicle, en mi opinión no les quedó del todo mal.
Amy
Mar 23, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading the novella The Bicentennial Man. After spending several weeks absorbing research about Asimov and robot stories, this one stands out among the rest. It is very poignant. It is definitely one of his best robot stories.
Taggerung
Jun 15, 2016 Taggerung rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore Azimov, and I was so happy to find this gem in the thrift store shelves!

I am fortunate to be able to read during my workday, and short stories are best since there are interruptions to my reading. Not a one of these was too long or uninteresting.

The amazing prophecy of Azimov's worlds echo so much of our world today that I kind of wonder if he had a time machine...ahem. The Winnowing is my favorite, though the antics of Susan Calvin are always amusing. The Bicentennial Man is the best
Ryan
Jul 03, 2013 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't understand why they took what I think is possibly the worst Asimov story out of several hundred stories and made it into a movie. Stupid.
  • The Other Side Of The Sky
  • Tangents
  • Second Variety and Other Classic Stories (The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick #3)
  • Dangerous Visions 3
  • Isaac Asimov's Caliban (Isaac Asimov's Caliban, #1)
  • The Green Hills of Earth
  • Infinite Dreams
  • Houston, Houston, Do You Read?
  • Twice 22: The Golden Apples of the Sun / A Medicine for Melancholy
  • The Humanoid Touch (Humanoids, #2)
  • Man-Kzin Wars 4 (Man-Kzin Wars, #4)
  • Empire of the Atom

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te
More about Isaac Asimov...

“There is no right to deny freedom to any object with a mind advanced enough to grasp the concept and desire the state.” 22 likes
“The Three Laws of Robotics:

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.”
8 likes