Start by marking “The Bicentennial Man” as Want to Read:
The Bicentennial Man

The Bicentennial Man

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  7,241 ratings  ·  140 reviews
Andrew was one of Earth's first house robot domestic servants—smoothly designed and functional. But when Andrew started to develop special talents which exceeded the confines of his allotted positronic pathways, he abandoned his domestic duties in favour of more intellectual pursuits. As time passed, Andrew acquired knowledge, feelings and ambitions way beyond anything eve ...more
Published 1978 by Panther Books (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Bicentennial Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bicentennial Man

Andrew
Ah the temptation of reading more Asimov short stories is always a hard one to resist. This is another classic collection which for me I think sums up a lot of what made Asimov and his Robots so famous - the title story I think sums it all up. Asimov was determined to make the machines that think more than tools and less a monster and I think although we have a long way still to go he certainly has helped us along the way.
But this book is not all about robots, there is spread of all sorts from m
Rowan MacBean
Prior to reading this book, I'd only ever read one Asimov work. It was the short story version of Nightfall and I very much enjoyed it, but I still didn't consider myself an Asimov fan because I knew him as "the robot/space-opera guy" and I've never particularly enjoyed robots or space-opera sci-fi.

As it turns out, it seems I only don't particularly enjoy robots and space-opera sci-fi when it's not written by Asimov. This book contains twelve pieces (eleven short stories and a poem) and there wa
Claire Gilligan
Isaac Asimov is now my favorite author, period. I would say I devoured this book, but that implies that I failed to give each short story the post-reading consideration it deserved, which is entirely untrue.

Every sing story was of such enormous quality--writing style, characterization, plot. I simply do not have the vocabulary to convey how well-crafted and enjoyable every story was.

Asimov's introductions, giving each story its context, were the icing on the cake. So, so good! Immediately search
Karyshma Khan
"The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure may not injure a human being, or through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law." (Asimov 491).

Robots are made for the purpose of serving humans and following their orders. From the start, Andrew Martin was
fatemeh kashefi
The Story is about LOVE, You can't believe how can Love & feelings change the lives even the life of a robot,
I read this book when I was at high school but sometime ago, I saw the movie of this story which Robbin Williams played the character of that robot(I forgot the name) & I was really impressed.
I recommend you to read the book & see the movie, You'll enjoy it for sure.

Nicolas
This was the first of Isaac Asimov's writings that I have read. I liked it. As with any collection like this there were some I liked (Waterclap) and some I didn't (Stranger in Paradise). The title story, Bicentennial Man, was definitely the stand-out. This was a very enjoyable collection and has made me curious to read more Asimov.
Sam Whitehouse
I'm no huge fan of Assimov, though i know he's a legendary, brilliant science fiction writer. I watched the movie Bicentennial Man with Robin Williams and was curious as to what the book would be like. It's short, and i'm not a fan of short stories, but Assimov's writing is rich and clean and he's clearly a master of sci-fi. The length of the story didn't hinder the character development, and although there was never what could be called pace to the story, it was entertaining and absorbing enoug ...more
Olethros
-Ejemplo general de temáticas y estilos del prolífico autor en su obra corta.-

Género. Relatos.

Lo que nos cuenta. Recopilación de doce relatos de Ciencia-Ficción del autor (uno de ellos un poema, en realidad) escritos entre 1966 y 1976, editados previamente en distintos medios, que en esta edición van acompañados de anécdotas y eventos relacionados con el autor y que rodearon o su concepción, o su escritura o su publicación, que tratan temas tan variados como la búsqueda de formas para poder come
Fiver
Half-rate Hollywood reproductions aside, this short story is one of the staples of great science fiction... that simply had to be written, sooner or later.

The Bicentennial Man is a very simple, almost droll story: in the near future, a robot finds itself instilled with the urge to become human, and lives through 200 years of slight modifications to himself while following this goal.

I've always said that good science fiction uses the unusual situations to comment on the human condition, and I cou
Pvw
A typical one-idea novel.

Andrew the household robot discovers his creativity in crafting woodwork and making jewelry. From then on, he strives to become more and more human, both by upgrading his positronic brain and fighting legal battles to obtain human-like rights. The family that employed him at first keeps supporting Andrew in his desire (even though he survives all of them, because he himself becomes 200 years old).

This book reminded me very much of Max Ehrlich's The Big Eye because it was
James
Dec 11, 2007 James rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Asimov Fans
I read this collection because there were stories in it that were not included with “The Complete Robot” I will only be touching on the stories not included in “I, Robot” or “The Complete Robot”

The Prime of Life
Is a Poem about how everyone thinks he is old, yet he feels young. It is just pretty neat to read as it gives you some insight into the man himself and, is in its own way quite humorous.

Waterclap
A neat story about the conflicts between people who live in Inner and Outer Space, this shows
Dan
It might be the changing times, the difference between the analogue past and the digital future, and the subsequent increase in life's pace, which is why this 1970s short story collection is rubbish to me. Almost totally unreadable, it delivers the most horrible storytelling I've seen in any book in such a long time. Don't ask me about the individual stories - I can't remember anything about them, and obviously I don't have a favourite. Reading the book was extremely hard-going ... and confusing ...more
Izaak
Page 29- Feminine Intuition: A nice little story. Ironic, well written, and interesting, but (understandably) old-school.
Page 61- Waterclap: Wow! Loved it! Wish an extra paragraph could have replaced the last few sentences, but it was still creative and awesome. Such a well developed short story! And majorly intriguing.
Page 86- That Thou Art Mindful of Him: Very interesting. The Three Laws of Humanics kind of blindsided me.
Page 113- Stranger In Paradise: Uhhh... Original.
Page 125- The Life And T
Veronikah
This was the first time for me to read an Asimov work. Or in this two works.
Sadly, it's a Brazilian edition and a Portuguese person reading in Brazilian, well, the brain was not computing well at times. Thankfully, this didn't affect my experience very much.

The Bicentennial Man follows the robot Andrew throughout his life. Andrew is a very special robot, unlike the newest robots coming out, Andrew has a personality of his own, desires and talents and his owners care for him as if he was
Leonardo
Feb 27, 2014 Leonardo rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of classic sci-fi
Recommended to Leonardo by: Lorena
Among Asimov's vast work, his robot fiction is perhaps the most renowned, and several of the stories included in this classic anthology of the short stories that he wrote between 1966 and 1976 are a definitive prove of it. Several of them explore the complexities and intricacies of the real-world application of the three laws of robotics and the mistrut that human beings would feel towards robots, particularly when they "deviate" from their role as mere servants and machines and reason their way ...more
Amy
I just finished reading the novella The Bicentennial Man. After spending several weeks absorbing research about Asimov and robot stories, this one stands out among the rest. It is very poignant. It is definitely one of his best robot stories.
Otis Campbell
"For my own part, I have never had a thought which I could not set down
in words with even more distinctness than that with which I conceived it.
There is, however, a class of fancies of exquisite delicacy which are not
thoughts, and to which as yet I have found it absolutely impossible to
adapt to language. These fancies arise in the soul, alas how rarely.
Only at epochs of most intense tranquility, when the bodily and mental
health are in perfection. And at those weird points of time, where the
confi
Lili Cruz
La historia del hombre bicentenario me encantó, el final es conmovedor y deja un gran mensaje, no se le puede negar la libertad a ningún objeto con la mentalidad suficiente como para entender y desear ese estado.

Otra de las historias incluidas en la versión que leí, "La última pregunta", es impresionante, me encantó la parte de "¡Hágase la luz!", esta historia y la de "Razón" son simplemente geniales.

Vale mucho la pena leer a Isaac Asimov, no solo por la parte de ciencia ficción si no también po
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 21, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science Fiction Fans
Arthur C. Clarke said that science fiction done well at the least can give the pleasure of a "good puzzle" and entertain. Asimov is always science fiction done well, and this collection is no exception. I don't think Asimov has a strong prose style, and his characters are rarely memorable. But in the best stories by him I've read, such as "The Dead Past" or "Nightfall" he can stun me by making me see the world in a whole new way.

I don't think any of the stories here are of that order--with the
Luke Devenish
It's not every day that sci-fi can make you teary, but the title story in this anthology got me blubbing beautifully. It is exquisite. And yes, I've seen the movie, which I also liked, but this, the original, is so much more affecting for the emotional punch of robot Andrew's two hundred year journey and the sheer, sob-worthy beauty of its ending - which the filmed version foolishly eschewed. Crazy! It would have been far better for being truthful to Azimov's idea. This story was just so sublime ...more
Caiti
I want to love Asimov, but I still just can't get totally on board with sci-fi. I have yet to finish this book, clocking in at 7 out of 11 stories. Following are my synopses and thoughts for each of the 7:
1) The Prime of Life - A self-portrait of a poem with a smart, witty commentary.

2) Feminine Intuition - a fascinating little story about a "woman" robot and the power of an intuitive mind. Quite humorous.

3) Waterclap - The safety of Ocean-Deep is compromised. This short, though I'd say not one
Malcolmaffleck
Having never read any of Asimov's work before, I was interested to see what one of the greats of Science Fiction was all about. In many ways, these stories have made me more interested in reading his longer form novels - he clearly has an excellent idea of what happens in his vision of the future (although some points, particularly with regards to views on women contain clear remnants of 60s/70s thinking) and has some major characters that I think deserve more exploring than the few brief mentio ...more
Carlos Mendez
Steve Dalton
This is a good book, which was probably even better when the stories were still "fresh". The writing style is somewhat simplistic, and the various "twists" that occur in some of the stories are quite obvious. But perhaps that wouldn't be true decades ago, when they were first written.

"Bicentennial Man" is, in my opinion, the best story in the collection, and I think Mr. Asimov agrees. Still, the prefaces to each tale are interesting, and you get a nice, unencumbered view into Asimov's thought pr
Sophia
It’s never easy to review short story collections because they can be so very mixed, and this was no exception. By far the best (and fortunately also the longest) was the title story. The Bicentennial Man is the story of a robot who, by some quirk of his mechanical brain, develops a personality. Over the course of the story, which spans 200 years, he learns to feel emotion and begins to question his role as a mankind’s slave and to desire something that’s unprecedented among robots – freedom. It ...more
Christophe

Andrew est un robot comme les autres. Comme les autres, vraiment? Pas tout à fait. Il est même si singulier qu'il a décidé de devenir libre, malgré les Trois Lois de la Robotique et contre l'opinion de la majorité des êtres humains. Andrew ne sait pas qu'il vient de s'engager dans une lutte qui va changer l'histoire de la robotique, des robots et de l'humanité elle-même.

« L'homme bicentenaire » est l'une des nouvelles les plus connues et l'une des préférées de l'auteur. Elle a été adaptée au c

Michael Tildsley
This was kind of "middle of the road" for Asimov. Sort of a hit-or-miss collection. There were stories that I liked a lot, stories that I liked a little, and stories that were bad (sorry, Isaac).

I feel like Asimov's true area of fiction talent is in novels and novellas, not short stories. While some are passable, my big gripe with his short stories as a group is that they tend to be bogged down in explaining the "hard science" of whatever the topic in question is to the point that the character
Ayelén Glasswen
¡Genial! ¡Todos los cuentos están buenísimos! Aunque Padre fundador, La bola de billar, El hombre Bicentenario y La clave, me parecieron geniales y los más grosos. No sé por qué esperé tanto para leer a Asimov, le tenía demasiado respeto capaz. Resultó que era justo lo que me andaba faltando. ¡Me maté de la risa con lo del dinopollo! No puedo acordarme sin reír :P
Kenneth Rathburn
It's rather clear that this book by Isaac Asimov will strike some as fascinating and others as unrealistically off-putting. But part of what makes this book captivating for readers such as myself is simply the journey a future household robot makes to gain acceptance as a human and truly feel. While it's not masterpiece quality (partly due to its lack of plausibility), this doesn't interfere with the ultimate point and, generally, the delivery of what Asimov is trying to make. Andrew becomes a c ...more
Diego Eusse
Es un poco rápida la narración de la historia pero se puede decir que es debido a su expansión de tiempo. La lectura a simple vista es buena y sencilla, sin embargo, se logra entre ver unos mensajes de una gran magnitud para la humanidad.
En definitivas es uno de los libros que de niños deberíamos leer todos.
  • The Wind From the Sun (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
  • Infinite Dreams
  • Ten Thousand Light-Years From Home
  • Second Variety and Other Classic Stories (The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick #3)
  • Inferno (Isaac Asimov's Caliban, #2)
  • Starman Jones
  • The Bachman Books

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te
More about Isaac Asimov...
Foundation (Foundation, #1) I, Robot (Robot, #0.1) Foundation and Empire (Foundation, #2) Second Foundation (Foundation, #3) The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3)

“There is no right to deny freedom to any object with a mind advanced enough to grasp the concept and desire the state.” 13 likes
“The Three Laws of Robotics:

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.”
3 likes